Week 5 mission 2 complete!
    Distance: 3.61 mi
    Duration: 56:14

I still cannot run 5 minutes in a row.
    I really wish that would change!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Been feeling awful the last few days with a bad reaction to something and cold like symptoms but got cabin fever today and thought I will try even if I walked it.

But instead I had my fasted run 9.18 min Km (W2D3) and did the whole run. I also found that my little targets on the free run (normally the next lamp post) I was running past and it was like my body almost did not want to stop.
  • AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi - sorry to cut in on the thread, but looking for some advice. I'm on week 4 of the 5k training. I've been having problems with shin splints, and as the runs get longer, they have been getting worse. My last run was Monday, and after the 5 minute free form, I had to walk home because it hurt so bad. I haven't ran since, hoping that my shins would heal. Today, I got fitted for new shoes (Asics Gel Enhance Ultra 2.0). I got the right arch height and found out I've been running in shoes one size too small (oops). I was so excited to get back out there, I went for a run as soon as I got home. And after the five minute free form, my shins started to hurt. I've been told that some people just can't run, but I don't want to accept that. So - anyone out there have any advice? Should I try another type of shoe? Or could it just be that I need to get used to these?
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think a part of it is probably that you need to get used to your shoes, but I also think that you need to look hard at your running form.

Slow down, and pay close attention to how our foot hits the ground and moves through the stride. You should never hit the ground heel first in full force. Picture your foot rolling through the step, your heel touching but the impact being absorbed by the rolling movement. You'll want the feel of your stride, and the way your ankles and feet move, to feel as if you are jogging, if that makes sense. It's easy to assume that running means your heel hits the ground, and your toes kick off for the next step... that is not the case. It's a single smooth rolling motion, and it isn't unusual that it takes conscious effort to get to that point.

Also, are your new shoes padded for pavement, or whatever hard surface you are running on?
  • AlexT29
    Options
    Thank you for the advice and encouragement dragon1ady. My shoes have a good amount of cushion. My husband has similar shoes, has done over 50 miles a week and has no injuries. I also try to stick to grass and gravel. When it's warm, I walk to the park then do loops. When it's cooler (and the rattle snakes are hibernating), I run a dirt road in the desert. I've been working on my form, but perhaps it's time I get some professional advice. Thank you again for the reply. I don't know anyone who gets shin splints and there is only so much I can glean from the Internet.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I used to get shin splints all the time, and they stopped once I got shoes with enough cushioning. One of the other regulars here, bjhac, has a collection of YouTube links to running videos that might help you.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I tried to do my run today, but i had to turn around at a mile. My foot still really hurts. Not sure what is wrong. For those who have tendonitis, can you explain what it feels like? From what I've read, I'm thinking it maybe that or a stress fracture. Or just some freak thing lol. But it sucks! I was on pace to beat my time. I was at half mile in 4 minutes ughhh
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    With shin splints get plenty of rest and take a step back in your training. I ended up with severe shin splints last year (even after fitted shoes) that got to the point that even walking was impossible.

This time round I've had no problems - I also started off slowly on the treadmill for a few weeks before out running again and also do lots of walking.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints to the point walking was hard to do, even from bed to the toilet. I ran them out. I ran on grass till it went away. Bugger resting them, if I did that I'd still have them. Did not change shoes, did not change distance (still ran 10 km with it) and didn't change anything except running on grass rather than the road. I ran daily. Simple. Gone in about 2 weeks & has never come back.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints all the time, and they stopped once I got shoes with enough cushioning. One of the other regulars here, bjhac, has a collection of YouTube links to running videos that might help you.

Hi Guys, I changed my username. LOL
    (hoping if I keep Faking being fit, one day I'll actually be fit)

Anyway, AlexT It does sound like you're running on your heels; not that I'm an expert.

you may benefit greatly from the Chi Running technique to achieve proper running form:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkUqkdPQHis (this video is a jump off point)

Here's a great video on helping the pain you have:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8RN_C95xeg (this video is by the same person who solved my Achilles issue and Dragon's arch issue.)

This may help too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cpl9luAcs

I'm throwing this one in because is't an awesome warm up!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnAXw47nMw

Happy Memorial Day everyone! :)
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    For those who have tendonitis, can you explain what it feels like?

It's very painful. :tongue:

Tendonitis means there is inflammation in the tendon or tendons (the clue is the suffix -itis). It will get worse when you ask the tendon to work a lot, such as in my case, when I run on my foot. The impact when my foot connects wit the ground is very painful, though much less with proper arch support. It feels a bit like the constant super-soreness you get in your muscles after pushing them to the very limit and just beyond in a lifting workout, but more angry, if that makes sense. Stressing the tendon by working out makes it way way worse, and for a long time, depending on how hard you were on it.

Gentle massage seems to help with the pain, but not with the underlying problem. The can-roll exercises gently stretch the tendon, which also helps, but I'm starting to reluctantly accept that nothing but rest will make this go away. Damn and blast, and all that.

(Mandatory disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, or even an expert. If you want an opinion from one of those, ask one of those. :wink: )
  • chellebublz
    Options
    LOL.yea i dont want a doctors opinion. Although i may get looked at tomorrow, who knows. I'm really frustrated i cant finish my.last mission. I wasnt even exercising when it happened, just in the grocery store. It hurts like a bruised bone, when i put pressure on it. I can walk on toes without pain. I'm taking aleve, using capsaicin patches and resting. Jist going to use exercise bike at the gym til it feels better i guess :(
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    LOL.yea i dont want a doctors opinion. Although i may get looked at tomorrow, who knows. I'm really frustrated i cant finish my.last mission. I wasnt even exercising when it happened, just in the grocery store. It hurts like a bruised bone, when i put pressure on it. I can walk on toes without pain. I'm taking aleve, using capsaicin patches and resting. Jist going to use exercise bike at the gym til it feels better i guess :(

Are you icing it? You should be!

When mine was at it's peak, rolling, ice and rest were all that helped it.
    I agree with dragon, the only thing that will really solve the problem is staying off it... for now, I'm happy with the dull roar.
    I can't stop running for a month. I'll never start again... but I had no choice in taking the week off, that I did.

I just read someplace else about a girl just coming back after a stress fracture. She was off running for 7 weeks and her doc only gave the OK for her to run on grass.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi - sorry to cut in on the thread, but looking for some advice. I'm on week 4 of the 5k training. I've been having problems with shin splints, and as the runs get longer, they have been getting worse. My last run was Monday, and after the 5 minute free form, I had to walk home because it hurt so bad. I haven't ran since, hoping that my shins would heal. Today, I got fitted for new shoes (Asics Gel Enhance Ultra 2.0). I got the right arch height and found out I've been running in shoes one size too small (oops). I was so excited to get back out there, I went for a run as soon as I got home. And after the five minute free form, my shins started to hurt. I've been told that some people just can't run, but I don't want to accept that. So - anyone out there have any advice? Should I try another type of shoe? Or could it just be that I need to get used to these?

Getting fitted is the first step to resolving the problem. It really helped me. Now, my shins ache after a run, but the ache is gone within a few hours. I mix up my training so I'm not always running on the road. Sometimes I'm on the treadmill (which I actually like because I can more easily pace myself and monitor my distance), sometimes I'm on a dirt trail. I find it helps a lot.

Another thing I like to do is stretch out my shins right after warm up and then after my runs. I do this by simply kneeling with my butt touching my heels. This position gives the BEST shin stretch. Also make sure you stretch out your hamstrings and lower back. I've heard it's all related.

Once you've got the pain treat it like any other muscle strain. Ice and anti-inflammatories.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    hey guys! hey guys! hey guys! Guess what... I did it!

I was like the little engine that could today, for some reason.

It's pouring here, so I went to the gym.
    I hopped on the treadmill and ran 1.10 miles in 14 minutes Without Stopping!
    (I went further, but who cares about the rest)
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Faking, that's great!! I find the treadmill is so much easier, but I feel like I accomplish more when I run outside. I too do the mini goal approach and it really works.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    hey guys! hey guys! hey guys! Guess what... I did it!

Wohoo! Well done! :happy:
  • AlexT29
    Options
    Yah! Congrats! I've only been able to get up to 8 minutes - 14 is a huge accomplishment. And thank you for the video links. I have an appointment to analyze my running form tonight and will start incorporating some of those exercises into my routine.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    Yah! Congrats! I've only been able to get up to 8 minutes - 14 is a huge accomplishment. And thank you for the video links. I have an appointment to analyze my running form tonight and will start incorporating some of those exercises into my routine.

Thanks guys, I'm still excited. lol

sb, I like running outside better too. If it weren't for mini goals, I'd likely give up.

AlexT, you're welcome. Good luck tonight, can't wait to hear how you make out. :)
  • chellebublz
    Options
    Was another day off for me. I woke up feeling good, put my shoes on and ran a few errands with my fiance and son, and by the time we got home the side of my foot and ankle was killing me. ahhhh this may be a long recoup period.....