5k Training thoughts

Options
chellebublz
chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
I finished Week 4 Workout 1 today. Transitioning from Week 2 to Week 3, was intense so I was nervous. I kind of feel like I went backwards this week. With all the walking. And I HATE HATEEEE free form. After googling, it looks like free form is a big part of zombie training. In the Active.com c25k, in week 4 they are running 3 min, walking 1.5 min, running 5 min, walking 2.5 min, etc. Meanwhile this one has had me run 1 min intervals at the highest. At the end, am I going to need to do a classic c25k in order to be able to run a 5k?

ETA during Free Form, I've been running as long as I can which is usually 3 minutes, and then walking until I have my breath and feel like I can go again. Just would prefer the running drills to be the whole time rather than the free form, sigh.

Replies

• dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I suspect a part of the reason for the free form run segment is to give us a challenge. When I do free form running, I run for as long as I can, and then I make myself run a little bit longer, just to see if I was right or if I can do more than I thought I can. I've been proving myself wrong every single workout so far. It's astonishing how much further you can go if you force yourself not to give up just because your legs feel like lead and your lungs are burning, and there's a chunk of bile slowly creeping up your throat... that's the real challenge.

A couple of the workouts last week for me had a surprisingly long free form run, much longer than I expected, but I kept pushing myself and managed to run through the entire thing on my first attempt. I was surprised, and extremely smug. When I started this program I struggled to run for one minute, and now...! Greatest sense of accomplishment in a long time.

Also, my inner smartass has a very hard time resisting the urge to point out that a 5K is nothing but an unusually long free form run. :tongue:
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    I sort of understand where you're coming from. When I first started Z5K (I've just finished week 4), the whole freeform run confused me - I didn't like having the "rules" or any structure to them. I could hardly run past a minute without having to stop. But now, they're the bit I look forward to most! As dragonlady above says - it's good to be able to push yourself and test your limits,l but knowing that it's a freeform run, if I have to stop and take a breather it's not a problem - I'm not "breaking the rules" as I would be in another c25k programme if I couldn't complete the full running time.

If you really don't like them, you could always make up your own drills for the freeform time. Look in advance to see how long the freeform run is, and split that into drills (2mins running/1min walking or whatever). Obviously there'd be no voice commands to tell you to change up, but timing yourself shouldn't be a problem, especially if you've got a digital watch.

I know how you feel about week 4 being a backtrack of sorts - but the intention is to conserve your energy so you'll have more in the tank for the freeform at the end. As for needing to do a classic c25k after Z5k - I can't imagine you would. The end goal for both programmes is the same, they just go about it in slightly different ways.

ETA: The other thing to remember is that z5k is also about training you up for the Zombies Run! missions - which from what I've heard feature a lot of changing pace (running faster away from the zoms, slower when there's no danger etc). So the z5k app is also working towards that, rather than a straight 5k run.

Ultimately, if it's really not working for you, you could always jump over to a classic c25k on week 4 (or wherever looks the most natural point) - it's all about finding what works best for you.
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm also in week four and had a similar thought, but I'm using it slightly differently. Rather than slow walking, I'm slowly jogging, then doing more of a sprint during the fast walking. Basically using them as running drills rather than walking drills.

I use the freeform run as a bit of a cooldown--mostly jogging with a few sprints.

I think the program has been great. I've gone from running ~2.5-3 miles in a session to running 4.5-5 in the last 6 weeks. My pace has gotten a lot better as well.
  • chellebublz
    Options
    haha. Well this is my first dabbling into running, ever. And at 225lb and 5'3, I'm deft not in shape. I did workout 2 of week 4 today and I guess kind of had a switch flip today. I ran the first whole free form (5 minutes) and was quite pleased with myself. The 30 second running drills seemed like cake. Then when the 15 minute free form came, I told myself I would try to get 5 minutes again like before. I made it through the 5 minutes and felt like I could do more so I kept going and then once I reached 7 1/2 minutes I got some sort of 2nd wind and finished out the 15 minutes running and went like 3 more minutes then walked the rest of the way home for a cool down lol. I guess I had more in me than I thought.

Before I was using the free form and doing more self-timed walk/run drills, maybe I should have been pushing myself the whole time to see what I really had :D Granted I'm running REALLY slow, like a slow jog, but still better than walking is what I keep telling myself. And once my endurance improves I can work on picking up the pace.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    Awesome :-) I know I certainly felt I was making more progress when I was (trying to) run the whole of the freeform run. I actively look forward to them now!

As for the jogging slowly - I'm exactly the same. I could walk faster than I jog sometimes. This week I was jogging uphill, headfirst into a strong wind and for about 3 minutes it felt like I was jogging on the spot! But, we'll get there eventually - like you, I'm aiming for endurance followed by speed.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    If you're a beginner runner, your "running" is actually supposed to be slow jogging. The body isn't used to this form of exercise, and easing into it slowly minimizes the risk of injury.

For the second half of most of my Z5K workouts, I find myself doing what is best described as zombie-like shuffling run attempts, essentially slow jogging that is about my normal walking speed. On good days I can speed up, but on bad days I shuffle. A lot.

The important thing is to keep jogging, no matter how slow it seems be. Once you have the endurance, the speed will come on its own.

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to check your progress on ZombieLink. Not only because you need to go there to keep your weight current and get calorie counts, but because you can see your old run logs and compare them to your more recent ones, and see your progress that way. Just like bad_hair_bear I look forward to the free form runs now. To me, they are an easy way to measure how much progress I've made since I started out, since they grow longer every week.
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Way to push yourself!
  • chellebublz
    Options
    OMGosh I forgot about changing my weight on there lol I have lost 7 lbs since I started c25k oops lol.

I can relate to the whole jogging slower than I walk thing haha I thought it was just me. In fact, my fiance quit doing 5k sessions with me cuz he said I was running slower than he walks and it was hard for him to keep pace ROFL. But it's what is comfy for me and I will keep it up. I ran all of the free form again today so I deft feel like it is progress and now that I can do THAT I do find myself looking forward to the free form runs. When I HATED them it was just because I didn't feel like I could run them yet haha
  • FitAtFortyFour
    FitAtFortyFour Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I struggled through week 3 a bit too. Mostly due to some leg and foot pain but I taped up today and did week 4 workout 1 with a smile on my face. Got through the warm up run no problem. Had fun with the drills and ran for the majority of the long free form run!

For those running their first 5k, just look at it as part of your training, which it is. Use the same principles for the race as you do in free form running. Go at the pace that feels best for you. You'll likely do better than you think you will since the energy of the race will give you an extra jolt. People cheering you on is an incredible motivator!

Buena suerte a todos!
  • chellebublz
    Options
    There is a 5k in June 8th right by my house, so I'm hoping to be able to run it by then. I think I could since I should be finishing Zombies 5k by the end of May.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You should do that May 5k for sure. I am on week 6 now and did one using the app on Apr 6th. I even finished the 5k 15 minutes before the session finished.
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    Week 4 was exactly what I needed after being a slacker for two weeks. I was convinced all of my fitness gains in the past few months would be gone and was seriously dreading starting back up, but I'd agreed to go to a Zumbathon and thought I should remind my body what moving feels like. I jogged the first freeform & at least half of the last freeform & felt great afterward.

There's a Zombie Run in Atlanta June 8, but I just can't bring myself to do it during daylight in the South, so I'm going to sign up for a nighttime Color & Glow later that month.
  • chellebublz
    Options
    I started W5W1 today and halfway through my finger decided it would be awesome to unlock my phone and restart the session. I didn't even realize until it was telling me to do the warmup again =/ I was done with all the drills and should have been starting the free forms. So I just timed the free form on my own and then let the session finish playing when I got home. But how annoying!

I am currently signed up for the Color Run on July 14. But we are doing that as a family when my mom visits from out of state, so I won't be able to run it. I just wouldn't feel right leaving my mom and fiance and son behind and running lol. I will most likely sign up for the one by my house on June 8th. And if that goes well I will start doing fun 5k's I see. One I am really excited about doing is the Foam Fest but it doesn't happen anywhere near me. Thinking a trip to see out of state family may be in order during that week lol And NEXT summer we will do the Zombie Run, it is July 13th here this year and I have my great grandmother's 90th birthday that day. And well there will be other Zombie Runs but only one 90th bday bash :D
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I have decided to sign up for Color Me Rad, a Color 5K that happens on June 22 here. My father-in-law sent me an email with a sign-up discount for the Color Run for August though, that I am very tempted to take advantage of... I know he's not going to use it, he just finished a half-marathon so 5K isn't anything he is interested in. Maybe I'll wait and see how I like the first one.
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Im signed up for color run in october
  • chellebublz
    Options
    I'm so glad people are using this thread, I don't know very many other people using this app that I can talk to about it :D
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I cannot get any of my friends to use it. They are using c25k or whatever it is and I am sorry but I cannot run 90 seconds my second week. This is more of my pace. I fell a little behind due to a knee injury but still at it
  • chellebublz
    Options
    I have the Active c25k app but I've never used it. I was thinking about switching but then I started looking forward to the free form runs instead of hating it. TBH I use the Zombie 5k app mostly because it's a story lol
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to read that ya'll are keeping up with the program. I'm definitely starting to see my endurance improve, and I've only just finished W2D3. I think what's really helped me is jogging at the speed of walking. No joke.. On days when I'm in the gym vs outside I set the treadmill at 3.5 and use that speed for my walking AND my running. Then, during the free form I'll do intervals where I go up to 6.0 (!!!). It like my body needed to get used to using the various muscle groups needed for running in order to actually DO it. Now that it's getting the hang of it running/jogging is a lot more comfortable and I'm able to push myself. I went out with a friend today and she walked and I jogged (I call it shuffling) at a 15mi pace. It was SO SLOW, but you know what? I was able to almost continuously do it for 40 minutes and the route we took had quite a few uphill spans. It's only a matter of time before I'll be able to increase my speed. The program really works IMO.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I just finished the second workout of Week 7. As I set off into the first 5-minute free form run, I realized that I was actually running. Not shuffling, not jogging, but actually running. It felt so good that I made a point of trying to do it again through every free form run for the rest of the workout. If someone had told me when I started this a month and a half ago, that I'd be able to run--not jog, but actually run--for five minutes straight, several times through a workout, I would have laughed them off and refused to believe them. But tonight I did it. I ran, much faster than walking, for minutes and minutes and minutes, and it felt GREAT!

I feel very proud of myself right now. :happy: