5k Training thoughts

Options

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Crime is very low in this area as well, but I'd rather be overly cautious than not cautious enough. The streets around our subdivision tend to stay busy in the evenings, so I run along there now. Traffic and lights are our friends! :smile:

The trouble is here there is no middle ground either run along the main road which is very busy or down the back roads. I tend to run along the main road and then down the back roads unless it is late and I'll do it the other way round. Mine more trying to doge the hills.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The annoying part is... my 'sane brain' knows it's nonsense. But, knowing it and controlling it are 2 different things.
    On the whole, the running (and working out in general) has been a huge help with the anxiety. I just have to figure out how to beat it again.

Please ignore this question if it's completely inane, but what worked to beat it last time? Do that again?

HA! Most recently, I injured my Achilles Tendon and tried to run through the searing pain. That took care of me thinking I was having a heart attack. 100%. I even joked to my daughter that I found the cure. ;0)

Previous to that, I had to pop my ear buds out stand still. Until I got out of my head.

Today, I put on some John Mayer and runtastic set to tell me my speed every minute. No other information.
    Then I ran 1 minute walked 1 minute for 4.05 miles. I only had a couple issues. YaY!
    I think I may have been speeding up again... not sure. But, I think I'll use the same plan next run and see if it works again.
    Although, I missed the folks in Abel!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I live in a very small town, low population too, so I never feel unsafe, but it's very hard to get a longer run in without feeling like I'm running in circles and getting bored. I often find myself weaving through the blocks lol to stretch out a distance. And there's been times I make it back to my own block at like 2.8 miles and run around the block 3 times to hit a 5k distance haha!

I did the first workout of the traditional c25k today, with Nike running and Zombies Run mission playing for the story lol. I let Zombies Run control the music. It worked perfectly, but I did have trouble hearing the c25k app commands walk/run. But then if i let the c25k app control the music I may not be able to hear the zombie story, so idk!

I did feel rather lazy and silly only running 1 min stretches for 20 min (with 5 min warmup and cool down walks) after running 50 min zombie 5k missions. But I need this to ease back into without injuring.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Please ignore this question if it's completely inane, but what worked to beat it last time? Do that again?

HA! Most recently, I injured my Achilles Tendon and tried to run through the searing pain. That took care of me thinking I was having a heart attack. 100%. I even joked to my daughter that I found the cure. ;0)

Okay, so that particular cure might not be the best and most humane one. :laugh:

I plan to go back and repeat at least the last two weeks of Z5K once my foot heals to get back into running. If hte foot object too much, I will go back further.
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You guys are chatty today :)
    I ran for 15 minutes on Sunday!! Well, jogged. It ended up being like a 15 minute mile which is not so good but I'm on the right track. My 5K is this weekend so I'm hoping to do at least an okay showing. And, best of all, no quad pain! It's still tight but it doesn't hurt so I just do extra walking and stretching. Gah, I'm excited!
  • FakingFitness
    Options

Okay, so that particular cure might not be the best and most humane one. :laugh:

I plan to go back and repeat at least the last two weeks of Z5K once my foot heals to get back into running. If hte foot object too much, I will go back further.

How is your foot? Are you making progress with it?
    I'm going to go back a week after this too.
    I have no deadline. If it takes me all summer (which it won't) so be it.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    You guys are chatty today :)
    I ran for 15 minutes on Sunday!! Well, jogged. It ended up being like a 15 minute mile which is not so good but I'm on the right track. My 5K is this weekend so I'm hoping to do at least an okay showing. And, best of all, no quad pain! It's still tight but it doesn't hurt so I just do extra walking and stretching. Gah, I'm excited!

Yay for no quad pain! Sounds like you're going to do just fine in the 5k.
    We'll be cheering from the cyber lines!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    How is your foot? Are you making progress with it?
    I'm going to go back a week after this too.
    I have no deadline. If it takes me all summer (which it won't) so be it.

I was making progress until I went out on a date night with my better half, and danced on the tendons for a few hours. In hindsight, not very smart. Lots of pampering of the foot the day after, but it set everything back a little bit. Still much better than it was though. The rest (relatively speaking) and stretching is still helping. Another week, and I will try to run on it again!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    My 5K is this weekend so I'm hoping to do at least an okay showing. And, best of all, no quad pain! It's still tight but it doesn't hurt so I just do extra walking and stretching. Gah, I'm excited!

You'll do great! Come back here and brag about it afterwards!
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will for sure.
    I did week 2 day 3 yesterday and ran through the whole free form and five minutes extra again. I measured it out on the usa track and field site and it's about 1.5 miles! I think, if I keep the pace very slow, I MIGHT be able to do the whole thing. We will see. :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Did my run the other way round and it much easier as all the hills are on the first bit and then about 2km home stretch which is mainly downhill.

Still cant do the whole 15 min free from but getting up to blocks of 3 and 4 minutes.

Hope the foot is feeling better Dragon1ady.
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    OK, so I FINALLY got around to the final run of the 5K program this morning (had wanted to do it on Monday but got stuck at work). It wasn't my best run ever, but I felt solid about it. 5K in 32 minutes plus another mile and a half or so afterward. I'm so excited to move onto the regular program now!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Great job! Now the real fun begins! :)
  • phoenix3050
    Options
    Looking forward to today's run. After today I'll be at the half way mark. I think I'm improving but still have a ways to go, but I'm enjoying the journey. :)
  • phoenix3050
    Options
    Woot! Got my 5k stamp today and I'm halfway though the 5k program! Happy Day!!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Woot! Got my 5k stamp today and I'm halfway though the 5k program! Happy Day!!

*high five!*

Way to go!
  • QJ2013
    QJ2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OK, so I FINALLY got around to the final run of the 5K program this morning (had wanted to do it on Monday but got stuck at work). It wasn't my best run ever, but I felt solid about it. 5K in 32 minutes plus another mile and a half or so afterward. I'm so excited to move onto the regular program now!

Way to go! I think 32 minutes is great! Must be a great feeling of accomplishment. Hope to be joining you soon - I finished Week 6 today and finally feel like I might finish the whole thing.
  • phoenix3050
    Options
    Well today's run didn't go as well as I had hoped. W5D1 kicked my butt. It didn't help that I had to sprint around a horde of women hogging both sides of the park sidewalk. People can be so thoughtless! Anyway, after that my calves cramped up and I didn't do all the drills and walked most of the time but I still managed to get just shy of 5k in today. I think I'm going to redo this day on my next run day. :)
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had such a miserable run yesterday with my first day back to the real app. It was over 80 degrees and fairly humid, which didn't help, but I also started off going my normal running pace, which was a mistake. Even though I sped up considerably for the first zombie chase (from ~6.2 mph to 7.8 mph), I still got caught, which was disheartening. I slowed down to a ~5.5 mph pace after that, so I was able to outrun the next zombie, but I still felt kind of lousy about the whole thing. I had to stop 3 times for water fountains and I barely made it for 5K. I think I need to start doing my summer runs in the early morning rather than the evening. It's just too hot. Blech.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I have turned off zombie chases on the main app. I keep getting caught and they frustrate me, and add nothing positive. I'm sure they're great for others, but they are just not for me.