Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Some of the best runs are those where you really don't feel like it and think of canceling but then go ahead and do it anyway:)

True dat!
    Today was W1, D2 & I'm battling a sinus infection. I was supposed to do a 5k this a.m. but skipped, due to feeling crummy. Still, I went to the gym & started D2. After my 2nd interval, I was exhausted & felt a pinch in my knee. I jumped off the treadmill & was about to head home when I realized that if I quit, it'd be like every other thing in my life. So, I switched to a different treadmill, slowed down the pace & just finished. It was ugly, painful and slow. But I finished. That's gotta count for something.

That counts for a LOT - way to go!!!
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Any tips for running with a blocked nose? I am finding it hard to breath.

Welcome to all the new starters :D hope you really enjoy it.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    I can't believe it... I made it through 20 minute straight jogging. W5S3 done. It really is just a mental hurdle. Soooo excited, and so proud of myself. Now to keep doing it.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 today! It was easier than I thought it would be. :)
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Breath through your mouth :D

another finisher of week 5 here. stupid GPS on my phone didnt work, so i plotted the run using runkeeper and worked that i managed 6.59min/km (11:22min/mile) so i was pretty happy with that.

i figure the rest of the program shouldnt pose too much of an issue now. next week is intervals again and then only an extra 2 mins on the long run, the only adding 3mins per week until finish.

simples.
  • candiceh3
    Options

another finisher of week 5 here. stupid GPS on my phone didnt work, so i plotted the run using runkeeper and worked that i managed 6.59min/km (11:22min/mile) so i was pretty happy with that.

i figure the rest of the program shouldnt pose too much of an issue now. next week is intervals again and then only an extra 2 mins on the long run, the only adding 3mins per week until finish.

simples.

Awesome :D. Looks like a great pace. Hope you enjoy the rest of the program. Are you planning a 5k race at the end?
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    So, I should have started Week 3 yesterday. But, I came down with a nasty sinus infection so that got put off. I'm hoping that I'll be ok to start up again tomorrow but in the even that I have to wait for the weekend or later, would you repeat another day of Week 2 or go into Week 3 as planned?

You can do either. If you found week two challenging then I would say repeat it.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

simples.

Awesome :D. Looks like a great pace. Hope you enjoy the rest of the program. Are you planning a 5k race at the end?

not at this stage, there arent that many running events that i know of around where i am. plus with 3 kids its hard to commit to something like that. plus even the running events they do have here, they are stupidly expensive.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've finished Week 1 and am psyching myself up for W2D1 this afternoon. Feeling a bit nervous because my last run was not very comfortable (however I do think eating an entire pizza for dinner the night before a morning run was never going to be a good base for exercise). I'm already covering 4.2km over the half hour with only 8x 1 minute running bursts, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much distance I'll be doing when I'm in Week 4 or 5.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've finished Week 1 and am psyching myself up for W2D1 this afternoon. Feeling a bit nervous because my last run was not very comfortable (however I do think eating an entire pizza for dinner the night before a morning run was never going to be a good base for exercise). I'm already covering 4.2km over the half hour with only 8x 1 minute running bursts, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much distance I'll be doing when I'm in Week 4 or 5.

This is awesome!!! I can *hear* your enthusiasm! Yesterday I hiked uphill for an hour, then down again:).

I think I am going to start 5to10km week 1 day 1 today, and I think I will repeat week one one time.
  • New2run88
    New2run88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I finished W1D2 today. Wasn't feeling good, but I needed to do it. It made me feel better knowing I accomplished it.
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had completed Week 7 and was struggling (about 3 weeks ago) when I got a back injury and the winter Asthma kicked in! I haven't ran in three weeks and feel so sad/discouraged for it. My 5km is scheduled for January 1st. It doesn't look like I'll be able to make it.

But I'm determined not to give it up. Once the back is better I'll have to start again. For those who have suffered an injury, what is your suggestion? Do you start back at week 1 or somewhere in the middle?
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Starting day 1 of week 3 today. It's going where I've never gone before...and I'm scared D:
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Well - I was suppose to run a 5K on Saturday. It didn't happen because the kid started throwing up at 6:30 AM. Poor baby - he spent the next 6 hours doing that. That's what he gets for playing hooky last Tuesday though by faking us all out with one session of throwing up. I did go run on Sunday though for Day 1 of Week 6. I ran it as scheduled with the breaks but I honestly felt like I could have ran a whole 5K that way.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Finished week 6 day 1 today. The wind really picked up and the temp dropped ten degrees while I was on the trail - I am SO cold. :laugh:

Note to self: check weather beforehand
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Haven't checked in in awhile... on week 8 (after "graduating" and exclusively using the treadmill, I started running with a group of local C25kers at the track about 8 weeks ago). The group is signed up for the turkey 5K on 11/24. I have yet to get to a 3.1 distance (usually only about 2.7 miles or so, including 0.5 mile warm up/cool down; so only 2.2 miles?!). And last weekend we ran just a section of the race course; neighborhood streets, slopes, and a some hills.

I am hoping to get a little of that "race day magic" I keep reading about!! I am mentally preparing myself to be "OK" with walking a few minutes here and there to be able to complete the race.

We started with about 10 people, and we're down to about 5-7 people. Out of the people who completed last weeks run on the course, I was the slowest. BUT I finished :smile: They didn't have to wait for me bc of how I timed my cool-down and bc they were so far ahead I couldn't see them around the curve (and the others were walking behind me also out of sight).

Going to run tonight and push my distance just a little! If anyone wants to friend me, PLEASE DO:flowerforyou:
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    W2D2 done, and it seems that on the "running" portion of the workout, I'm actually more like shuffling, trying not to let that get to me.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Today is week 3 day 2! I was able to get through day 1 with flying colors. Not NEARLY as hard as I thought it would be! So proud of myself.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    I don't know anything about "race day magic" (@CTcutie)..did my first 5K last Saturday, and I was sore right out the gate and the distance seemed longer than it ever had during previous runs.

Probably my fault, mentally. But, I completed the distance faster than I had done during C25K and subsequent runs. I think it's different for everyone come race day. I liked having other people around, but was annoyed by the children there. Learned that people in running groups are "run" snobs and was disappointed with that kind of attitude.

One guy asked me what pace I was going to run before it started. I told him that I had no idea, that this was my first one. Without saying anything else, he turned back to the group.

Sorry this turned into a rant, but it did turn me off to running groups, incidentally that guy was in my age group and finished 3 minutes behind me, so there's that.

Anyway, lol, this is a check in thread and I am super pleased with the program. Wish there were more structured options after 5K, but what you learn about yourself and running during the program is so very helpful for continuing past C25K
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Sorry this turned into a rant, but it did turn me off to running groups, incidentally that guy was in my age group and finished 3 minutes behind me, so there's that.

I'm sorry to hear you had to experience that Us vs. Them run group mentality. It's very annoying. But after you smoked that guy he probably thought you were pulling his leg about it being your first race!

I've missed this thread! I haven't made the time to check in recently but I'm still going forward. Completed Week 7, Day 2 yesterday and it was a really good run for me. My body is adjusting to the boot camp class and my speed is picking back up. Still slow though! I'm going to register for my 5K this weekend - 3 weeks to go, working toward coming in under 40 minutes. I'm getting there!