Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So I guess this is a check-in and graduation post in one!

Did my first 5K today. Even though I've run/walked the course a couple times, I was very anxious this morning about the whole thing because I haven't actually run a complete 5K until today. Very very close a couple times, but...

The course was on a very concentrated area. Started on the road then diverted to a nature trail for about 1/2 mile. Because I have been on the trail dozens of times I knew that there were a lot of tree roots that I could trip over and so I was very careful and watched my step carefully. The largest part of the race was a little different than the course that was posted online (they had one loop reversed from the actual route) so I was thrown off a little. Once I realized this I just decided to keep my pace very slow to ensure I didn't stop and that my panic didn't create breathing problems. My time was 39:50, which was under my goal of 40 minutes but I had really hoped to be closer to 36 minutes. My biggest mistake was starting at the back of the pack. There were a LOT of walkers and I had to slow way down on that trail several times because of them.

Anyway, I did not stop and I felt really good about that.

For reference, I started C25K back around May as a completely new runner. I was the girl who, a year ago, was convinced I'd always be the person who would only "run when chased". I decided last Spring to start running simply because I wanted to conquer the thing I hated/feared most. I struggled through the first few weeks of C25K and then got stuck on week 5 for several months. W5D3 haunted me FOREVER and I sincerely believed I'd never get past it. Finally after a while I was able to complete the 20 minute run, and from that point I moved beyond my severe mental block. It took me another month or so to get to the point where I could run 20 minutes without question (kept going back to earlier in week 5, several times). After I finally pushed through, I've been working on 30 minutes+ for my runs. My training pace is usually around 12:00 or 12:30, so today's run was a bit slower.

Now that I've done this I feel like I'm ready to move on. Right now my goal is to work toward a 10K--Charleston Bridge Run, maybe? :bigsmile:
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    For the first time this winter, I ran inside for my C25K Day 2 of Week 7. I hope I ran the whole 2.5 miles but I'm not sure. I may have been a lap short. They say it's 11.25 laps to make a mile. But it's hard to count laps while running. My strava app wouldn't hang onto the GPS signal enough to record the mileage for me. Hey - I did it without stopping except for a couple sips of water at the fountain. I'm so happy to be able to run this way!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    For the first time this winter, I ran inside for my C25K Day 2 of Week 7. I hope I ran the whole 2.5 miles but I'm not sure. I may have been a lap short. They say it's 11.25 laps to make a mile. But it's hard to count laps while running. My strava app wouldn't hang onto the GPS signal enough to record the mileage for me. Hey - I did it without stopping except for a couple sips of water at the fountain. I'm so happy to be able to run this way!
    Are you just using Strava and not the actual C25K app? Congrats on making it that far. :happy:
    I finished week 4 today! I got about halfway through it, dropped my phone, and had to restart the phone. I ended up doing the entire run over again! I surprised myself at being able to run that much.

I'm nervous about the 20 minute run at the end of week 5.. I have NEVER ran that long without taking a few breaks to walk!
    I think that everyone is reluctant to do that run, but it's really nothing. You'll surprise yourself when you find that you're still running after 5 minutes, 8, 12, etc. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So I guess this is a check-in and graduation post in one!

Did my first 5K today. Even though I've run/walked the course a couple times, I was very anxious this morning about the whole thing because I haven't actually run a complete 5K until today. Very very close a couple times, but...

The course was on a very concentrated area. Started on the road then diverted to a nature trail for about 1/2 mile. Because I have been on the trail dozens of times I knew that there were a lot of tree roots that I could trip over and so I was very careful and watched my step carefully. The largest part of the race was a little different than the course that was posted online (they had one loop reversed from the actual route) so I was thrown off a little. Once I realized this I just decided to keep my pace very slow to ensure I didn't stop and that my panic didn't create breathing problems. My time was 39:50, which was under my goal of 40 minutes but I had really hoped to be closer to 36 minutes. My biggest mistake was starting at the back of the pack. There were a LOT of walkers and I had to slow way down on that trail several times because of them.

Anyway, I did not stop and I felt really good about that.

For reference, I started C25K back around May as a completely new runner. I was the girl who, a year ago, was convinced I'd always be the person who would only "run when chased". I decided last Spring to start running simply because I wanted to conquer the thing I hated/feared most. I struggled through the first few weeks of C25K and then got stuck on week 5 for several months. W5D3 haunted me FOREVER and I sincerely believed I'd never get past it. Finally after a while I was able to complete the 20 minute run, and from that point I moved beyond my severe mental block. It took me another month or so to get to the point where I could run 20 minutes without question (kept going back to earlier in week 5, several times). After I finally pushed through, I've been working on 30 minutes+ for my runs. My training pace is usually around 12:00 or 12:30, so today's run was a bit slower.

Now that I've done this I feel like I'm ready to move on. Right now my goal is to work toward a 10K--Charleston Bridge Run, maybe? :bigsmile:

You were just a bit ahead of me. I walk on that trail all the time but I've never "trail run" before - I liked it!

I am definitely aiming for the bridge run this year. One of my friends who lives down there is doing C25K too so we're hopefully going to keep pushing each other.

Way to go!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    18 degrees out this morning, so I layered up and got out there. W3D2 in the books :smile:
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    W6D1 DONE! :D
  • Junin
    Junin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    W2D1 done! Love this program :) Happy running!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There is a ghost in my neighborhood. She's right at the corner of Landrum Drive, across the street from the Schneider's driveway. She is fat and very, very happy and proud that she has finished the first 30 second run of her life where she didn't feel like she was going die.

Every time I run past her, I feel her joy and think, "You go, girl!" I wonder if my future self's good wishes transcend space and time to help her push through the program. I know she makes me feel warm, happy and motivated.

The anniversary of my first Couch to 5k run is in 11 days. Without the tenacity of her, this woman who was sure she was going to fail but wanted to see how far she could get before her body reminded her that she wasn't a runner, I would have never run a 5k, a 10k or a half marathon.

The one gift I would like to give to you, no matter what week you are on, is that awareness that success IS possible. That you ARE physically capable. That you WILL be a runner, because you ARE one right now. Unfortunately, you are just going to have to discover that for yourself.

You go!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    There is a ghost in my neighborhood. She's right at the corner of Landrum Drive, across the street from the Schneider's driveway. She is fat and very, very happy and proud that she has finished the first 30 second run of her life where she didn't feel like she was going die.

Every time I run past her, I feel her joy and think, "You go, girl!" I wonder if my future self's good wishes transcend space and time to help her push through the program. I know she makes me feel warm, happy and motivated.

The anniversary of my first Couch to 5k run is in 11 days. Without the tenacity of her, this woman who was sure she was going to fail but wanted to see how far she could get before her body reminded her that she wasn't a runner, I would have never run a 5k, a 10k or a half marathon.

The one gift I would like to give to you, no matter what week you are on, is that awareness that success IS possible. That you ARE physically capable. That you WILL be a runner, because you ARE one right now. Unfortunately, you are just going to have to discover that for yourself.

You go!

Awesome post! (There must be some dust in my eyes!)
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty pleased with myself this week! Despite a virus which has given me a cough, my mum having a health scare and ending up in hospital for 3 days, my partners 50th birthday party and a weekend away i have managed to complete w1 and w2d1 instead of leaving it till a less stressy time like i usually do! Tho i did start to get changed on my weekend away and realised the black thing id packed thinking it was my leggings was a vest, so unless i ran in my knickers it wasn't happening till i got back home!!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Completed W5D2 this morning. Had no problem with the 8 min sets (Zen Labs app), in fact I added another one because I wasn't ready to go home! Looking forward to getting Day 3 with the 20 min run under my belt.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So a combination of a bit of a cold, the holidays, some rain, and a whole lot of i-just-don't-feel-like-it, I took a week off from running. Went out to walk the dog this morning and decided that I'd give it a whirl and see what I could do, fully giving myself permission to stop after ten minutes if I needed to. I felt like I was running through wet cement, but I did the entire 25 minutes of week 7 day 3 and I'm beyond proud of myself for powering through it.

Lesson learned - not so much to power through if I just stick to my darned schedule!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    ran for the first time in 3 weeks today. redid w6d1

damn my legs barely made it to the end of the last interval
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    So last night, did a nice easy 4.5 mile run down the riverfront and then back into the housing development (wanted to see the Christmas lights lol). Was cold, 32 degrees, with a slight wind from the north at about 5 mph. The bridge was a bit icy, so had to stop and hold the railing a few times to keep from slipping. But that was the only icy part of the run. I ran in my new CW-X compression pants. Here is what they look like:

cw-x-stabilyx-tight-womens

Talk about support! Wow! I wore those, a thermal compression shirt (cheaper brand), my Brooks running vest, cheap mittens, my headband and my nike ball cap, as well as a stobe on my shoe, on the back of my hat and my headlamp. Was cold starting out, but the tights use your body heat to warm you, and after about a mile in I was cool but comfortable. Toes were a bit cold, might have to invest in some winter running socks.

But the tights are great. They provide support to your calves, your hams and your quads, as well as support your lower abdomin to provide posture support for proper form. My calf muscle is slightly sore today, but I think that is because I am not used to running with compression. Normally I have some knee pain when I run...none. No pain other than the calf muscle thing. I am in love with these tights and seriously considering investing into another pair.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've just committed a mortal C25K sin (I think) and run two days back to back. In my defense, I was feeling so awesome after Week 6 Day 1 yesterday that I wanted to get straight into day 2 today. I can't believe how much easier it is after only a few weeks - I now have to make myself stop running at the walking intervals, whereas in weeks 1-3 I was inwardly groaning every time I had to run.
  • letzdothiz
    letzdothiz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I just completed my first W1D1 and all i kept thinking was ((( i have to finish I have to finish so i can get home and share with my C25K group, I CAN DO IT GO GO GO))) AND I DID!! Felt so good and so proud... i know its the beginning and I have a big hill to climb but Im glad I didnt let the snow n ice on the ground stop me from starting tonite. I was lucky that a trail long enough for my sets was clean and safe to run back and forth. Someone mentioned breathing in 2 and breathing out 1 and that seemed to help ALOT with my breathing because at first I was huffing and puffing all over the place. Gota make sure I cover my ears with something next time. Just wanted to share with you guys thanks

Feeling on top of the world :bigsmile:
  • letzdothiz
    letzdothiz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow that was great Var!! That's me today, that ghost cheering myself on. Thank you for sharing those warm words and giving me the encouragement I need to believe that I can do it and I can run that 2K and 5K and maybe one day those marathons too.

Thank you
    thank you
    thank you!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I just completed W5D2 (2nd time since I repeated)- on to day 3 soon! I'm terrified of the 20 minute runs and am hoping I can actually do it. The 8 minutes were hard for me so that makes me nervous. I think I should be able to make it through. It is a big step though!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I just completed W5D2 (2nd time since I repeated)- on to day 3 soon! I'm terrified of the 20 minute runs and am hoping I can actually do it. The 8 minutes were hard for me so that makes me nervous. I think I should be able to make it through. It is a big step though!

Just take your time. Slow down and convince yourself you can do it!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I just completed the dreaded W5D3 workout today:

What I was expected to do: 5 min warmup, jog 2 miles (20 min), 5 min cooldown

What I actually did: 5 min warmup, 12 min jog, 3 min walk break, 5 min jog, 5 min cooldown

I did this on the treadmill since it's 8 degrees outside with a -20 windchill, eff that! My pace was a little slow 13min/mi, but I'm focusing on endurance/distance right now. Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I was able to do. I don't plan on repeating this workout.