Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Yay! Week 3 day 1 is now under my belt, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. I even had some energy left after my run. I'm so happy there was a cool snap this morning that kept the temp in the low 70s. Looking forward to seeing if I feel the same way about the 3 minute spurts later in the week.
  • KatieD060982
    KatieD060982 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just did Week 2, Day 1 yesterday. It seemed so much harder for me to jog for 90 seconds than it did for 60 seconds but I'll keep on keeping on! :)
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    After a week off for finals I tried to redo W2D3 and couldn't even make it halfway before I felt sick. Don't know if it was the cold temperature or what. Stayed in again today because it's still too cold for my liking. Any advice on where I should restart the C25K?
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    Good morning - just joined this Couch to 5k group. DH and I finished W3D3 last night for the second time. We ran it on Saturday and he felt like he wanted to do it one more time before moving on to week 4. It's funny - I did really well on Saturday, but yesterday we had a cold snap, and it was freezing and really windy and I was bundled up (including gloves). My lungs hurt and it was a struggle to make it through the 3 minute runs. I'm hoping weather was the real culprit there.

We start Week 4 tomorrow. I'm a little worried about having such longer runs after last night. I really don't want to drop down to a walk. My run isn't that fast to begin with! :laugh:

Don't worry about starting week 4. Everyone has bad runs. I was shocked when an 8 minute jog was near impossible to me just a few days after I had completed my 20 minute run. Some times you just have a bad run. You will knock week 4 out of the park!
  • pziehl
    pziehl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just completed week 5 day 2. I hadn't looked ahead and was really surprised when day 2 wasn't the same as day 1, like all the other weeks. I survived it but did look ahead at day 3. I am a little concerned I won't be able to do the 20 min.
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    I just completed week 5 day 2. I hadn't looked ahead and was really surprised when day 2 wasn't the same as day 1, like all the other weeks. I survived it but did look ahead at day 3. I am a little concerned I won't be able to do the 20 min.
    The great thing about this program is that it's usually not as bad as you think it's going to be when things ramp up, and if it is, you have the option to take a step back and build yourself up more before moving on. I like the structure but also the fact that I can ramp it down if needed. So far I haven't had to do that, but I'm only on week 3.
  • wordyroo
    wordyroo Posts: 98 Member
    Options

It's really a mental thing at this point. I felt the same way and I got through it. But if you have to walk for a bit, that's OK. Just keep going. :smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Have a blister I am going to have to cover with some mole skin tomorrow, but it was totally worth it. BTW, mole skin is one of the greatest inventions of all time. Yup....

Good thing you said "one of" 'cause otherwise I'd have to argue with you. Skin Glide by Body Glide is even better *before* the blister. I keep it in my purse at all times now to prevent chafing wherever and whenever I need to.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 7 Day 1.

I feel amazing.

When my 25 minutes were up, I realized I didn't want to stop running. So I didn't.

Then my cool down timer went off, letting me know another five minutes had passed. I still didn't feel like stopping. So I didn't.

...then two minutes later I hit the end of the road. I still didn't want to stop but I had looped back to my apartment complex so I figured I probably should.

I can't believe I ran an extra 7 minutes. I'm not the least bit exhausted either.

"What hurts so bad now will be your warm up one day" Congratulations on your great run!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely pouring with rain here in England. But I still got out there and crushed Week 1, Day 3 ... and discovered just how breathable my running shoes really are!

I've always thought people I saw running in the rain were stark raving mad but now I realise how much more exhilarating it is. I actually feel much more comfortable running in the cold and wet weather but perhaps not as torrential as it was just now.

But the park was empty, the ducks were having a great time and the swallows were swooping down in front of me to drink from the lake; it was beautiful.

I can't wait to get on to week 2 on Thursday!
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    [\quote] Don't worry about starting week 4. Everyone has bad runs. I was shocked when an 8 minute jog was near impossible to me just a few days after I had completed my 20 minute run. Some times you just have a bad run. You will knock week 4 out of the park!
    [/quote]

^^^ This is very encouraging ! I did week3day 1 with ease, but when I did day 2 yesterday I was vey discouraged , it was really hard. I'm hoping day 3 tomorrow will be a good one!!
  • sunshinestater
    Options
    Good thing you said "one of" 'cause otherwise I'd have to argue with you. Skin Glide by Body Glide is even better *before* the blister. I keep it in my purse at all times now to prevent chafing wherever and whenever I need to.
    I found that stuff in Sports Authority, and I use it on the spots where I usually end up with blisters. It's amazing how I haven't had any problems in those spots since I started using it.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So I just attempted w5d3 and I failed miserably. I attempted to run it in the 90 degree heat though and I have never ran with it nearly close to that hot. I refuse to let this get me down though. I made it threw 15 of the 20 minutes and that in itself is an accomplishment. Next time I know I will make it threw it, I'll just have to choose a cooler day. :)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Today I ran five miles again!!! 2nd time in my personal history. I was slower than last week, and it hurt more (a lot more) but I did it. You know what I learned? First, bugs do not taste good, I don't care how much protein is in them. And secondly, my mother keeps asking me why I'm running. She just doesn't get it. Truth is, outside of "for my health, for my children" I don't really get it either. It's hard, it's rather boring, it hurts. But you know that voice... after all the "you can't do this, stop, just quit it doesn't matter, you're out of breath, it's okay just stop, who do you think you are" that so very, very gently stirs in you and says, "I can?" I like her, and I want to hang out with her as much as I possibly can. That's why I run.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was W3D1 for me - I was so pleased that I made it through all the running segments. I find that the last minute of the 3 minutes I have a really hard time controlling my breathing and I have to really force myself to breathe in and out in a normal pattern (I do 3 strides breathing in, 3 breathing out). Is this normal?

I definitely feel like my breathing is the only thing holding me back from running for longer than 3 minutes, although my head wants to stop SO BADLY I just concentrated on the fact that there was nothing physical hurting, feet fine, calves fine, shins fine, thighs fine, not reason to stop!

Is this whole C25K a mental exercise as much as cardiovascular training?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Oh yeah! The mental part is huge and you really start to turn the corner and get over the whole mental thing somewhere around week 6. If you are breathing too hard, slow down. You should be able to carry on a conversation with someone while running. Try in through the nose, then out through the mouth.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Today I ran five miles again!!! 2nd time in my personal history. I was slower than last week, and it hurt more (a lot more) but I did it. You know what I learned? First, bugs do not taste good, I don't care how much protein is in them. And secondly, my mother keeps asking me why I'm running. She just doesn't get it. Truth is, outside of "for my health, for my children" I don't really get it either. It's hard, it's rather boring, it hurts. But you know that voice... after all the "you can't do this, stop, just quit it doesn't matter, you're out of breath, it's okay just stop, who do you think you are" that so very, very gently stirs in you and says, "I can?" I like her, and I want to hang out with her as much as I possibly can. That's why I run.

Great job!!! Yeah, bugs in mouth or up the nose really BUGS me. Around here it seems we have been having quite a Kudzu Bug outbreak and those stinky little things are always clinging to my clothes.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options

Oh yeah! The mental part is huge and you really start to turn the corner and get over the whole mental thing somewhere around week 6. If you are breathing too hard, slow down. You should be able to carry on a conversation with someone while running. Try in through the nose, then out through the mouth.

Thanks, I can carry on a conversation when I'm breathing properly, but I find that if I lose concentration I suddely start gasping for air FOR NO REASON (this is also probably a mental thing rather than anything else)

I'm hoping the breathing will become more natural as I progress though!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I'm hoping the breathing will become more natural as I progress though!

It will. Now I don't even think much about it. Unless I'm in a race or doing hills/sprints, I am breathing slowly just through my nose only.
  • babyreba
    babyreba Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started the program today. W1D1 for me. Not too bad and I was able to walk/run at all the right times and for the complete times. I really want to make this work!