Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Andibeanluvs: I think it's based on 3 days per week, so you might want to stretch one run out after 2 days rest. But I didn't take that advice and have done runs on consecutive days, twice. And also skipped day 2 and 3 of week 3. LOL. But please don't think of that as it being OK for you... I found the first 3 weeks very easy with zero pain during, after and the next day, and no fatigue. I'm doing a lot of cardio and training in the gym at the same time and am making huge gains with my cardio endurance and stamina. I'm starting week 5 on Saturday and will follow to the end now with proper rest days in between.
  • Tanya949
    Options
    For those of us, who are on week 5 or about to start it, please remember day 2 is 8+8 minutes of running and walking in the middle, so what you do is add some running in between those 8-minute segments and voilà, you have 20 minutes on day 3.

If you have reached day 2, your body is ready for day 3 and you just need to keep telling yourself you can do it, trust the programme.

Good idea! I'm starting week 5 on Saturday. I already added 3 minutes to my last 5 min interval last day of week 4, so I know I can do 8 minutes.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I did my 20 minute run!!! I didn't stop! I've never in my 27 years of living been able to do that. EVER.

YAAAAY.

Oh and I push a stroller too! I've tried running just one time with out it and it was really hard. lol I guess i'm just used to it now.

Congratulations - that is a really big achievement!
    I agree, it is fantastic, well done!
  • Tanya949
    Options
    Fair play to those who run with a buggy. No way could I manage that!

Did week 8, day 1 today. 28 mins of running :d

Awesome!!! You are almost there! Is day 2 29 min and day 3 30 min? LOL
  • AglaeaC
    Options

I think she might use the original plan? Week 8 are all 28 min runs and week 9 are 30 min runs. I'm on week 7, all 25 min runs. There's another version, which consists of only eight weeks. Thought I'd mention since I got a bit confused some days ago when Thankyou mentioned some other numbers than I recognised.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I completed W2D2 today. :smile: My fastest interval was my second. The other intervals averaged about the same.

One question though. Ever since I started doing this, I find myself more hungry throughout the day. The last couple of days I've been wanting lunch by 10:30 or 11:00 and I do have breakfast! I know I am burning a LOT of calories doing this (Tonight I burned over 300). Could that be a reason why? I am mostly staying under my calorie goal (Yesterday I didn't but it was a stressful day at work and I needed chocolate and it was a rest day so I couldn't burn any of it off) but I am still almost constantly hungry. That's not normally me!
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Welcome to linoleumbob!
    I finished W3D3 yesterday. It was the first time I've really struggled to keep going. I was drained after the first 3 minute run. I'm so nervous to start week 4!! I've been running one day on and one day off since the start, and I haven't really been paying attention to the weeks. Should I be taking that extra rest day in between weeks? Or should I be ok to give W4D1 a go tomorrow?

When I did the program, I ran every other day throughout most of the time. I say if you feel okay, give it a try tomorrow. Maybe just focus on slowing down to a comfortable pace. (You should be able to hold a conversation when you are running.)
    I seem to recall you posted about pain in the lower leg, ankle maybe? I would stick to the programme, three runs per week, if that is the case. Your body needs the time to remodel tissues.

Yeah, I think I was a bit quick to post that one. I did a bunch of ankle strengthening and stretching on my day off that day and tightened the laces on my shoes a bit tighter for the next run and it fixed the problem. No pains at all now. I just did week 4 day 1 today. I think the hardest part right now is breaking through the mental barrier.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I completed W2D2 today. :smile: My fastest interval was my second. The other intervals averaged about the same.

One question though. Ever since I started doing this, I find myself more hungry throughout the day. The last couple of days I've been wanting lunch by 10:30 or 11:00 and I do have breakfast! I know I am burning a LOT of calories doing this (Tonight I burned over 300). Could that be a reason why? I am mostly staying under my calorie goal (Yesterday I didn't but it was a stressful day at work and I needed chocolate and it was a rest day so I couldn't burn any of it off) but I am still almost constantly hungry. That's not normally me!

I keep lower calorie snacks handy for just this reason. At around 10:30, my tummy tells me it's time to eat!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W7D3 done. Oh man it's getting warm in my corner of the world, first run with a short-sleeved t-shirt this year. I thought I was slower than the earlier runs this week, but looking at my app log it seems like I actually was a tiny bit faster. Go figure.

Had more fun than during D2, because I hadn't properly hydrated then and had to quit mid-cooling down. Speaking of water, for comparison, a few weeks ago my app told me I had sweated out half the volume compared to today, so don't overheat yourself.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I think she might use the original plan? Week 8 are all 28 min runs and week 9 are 30 min runs. I'm on week 7, all 25 min runs. There's another version, which consists of only eight weeks. Thought I'd mention since I got a bit confused some days ago when Thankyou mentioned some other numbers than I recognised.

I'm using 5k runner so it's an 8 week plan. Tomorrow is 30 mins then last day 35 mins / 5 k. I haven't measured my distances the last few times as I found I was getting overly concerned about it but I don't think 35 mins will be 5k for me.
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W2D2 did not get marked off today. There is a hill standing between me and a nice little stretch of road with a view so I'm trying to not avoid it. The hill seemed longer and steeper today. Normally I pause my app until I get to the top because there I no way I can jog it. Well, I got sick about halfway up then realized I forgot my fitbit, then my phone died, and of course it was raining. Lol. I gave up and jogged back home (~0.7 miles woohoo!). A little discouraging. :-(
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D3 yesterday. Was I ever sore! Had signed up for a 5K Color Fun run tomorrow last month, expecting to be ready, but family emergency got in the way. Is it "legal" to walk/run a fun run?
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W2D2 did not get marked off today. There is a hill standing between me and a nice little stretch of road with a view so I'm trying to not avoid it. The hill seemed longer and steeper today. Normally I pause my app until I get to the top because there I no way I can jog it. Well, I got sick about halfway up then realized I forgot my fitbit, then my phone died, and of course it was raining. Lol. I gave up and jogged back home (~0.7 miles woohoo!). A little discouraging. :-(
    Hey, you still gave it a shot. If I were you, I'd blame it on technical issues alone, so you don't get any ideas that you weren't good enough today. Really. Get back up on the horse another day and conquer that hill, claim it so it doesn't mess with your head anymore! I did the same and it worked.
    Finished W3D3 yesterday. Was I ever sore! Had signed up for a 5K Color Fun run tomorrow last month, expecting to be ready, but family emergency got in the way. Is it "legal" to walk/run a fun run?
    I have never heard walking wouldn't be allowed. Were I to arrange a run, I'd be pleased people at all levels are participating. We've done virtual 5Ks in this group last year and they were great in that you get an idea of how long the 5K really is; I walked parts of it and was obviously slower than those who ran the whole way but it was still a 5K. Just have fun and get coloured up.
  • Dhbausch
    Dhbausch Posts: 6
    Options
    Finished W2D1 today. It was tough & I was a little scared but shocked myself in that I completed all the intervals. Even the run up the giant hill in my neighborhood. Woot! My app crashed or did something wonky so I actually ended up running longer and walking less than I was supposed to. I think I may be looking for a new app. I've been using the one by Active because I like the GPS & run/walk pace feature. Of course I got nothing actually logged for today bc it completely quit at the end.
  • Tanya949
    Options
    I'm using an 8 week program by zen labs. Tomorrow is W5D1 for me, two 8 min runs with one walk in between. Actually looking forward to it, my cardio endurance has improved leaps and bounds in the last few months.
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Finished W2D1 today. It was tough & I was a little scared but shocked myself in that I completed all the intervals. Even the run up the giant hill in my neighborhood. Woot! My app crashed or did something wonky so I actually ended up running longer and walking less than I was supposed to. I think I may be looking for a new app. I've been using the one by Active because I like the GPS & run/walk pace feature. Of course I got nothing actually logged for today bc it completely quit at the end.

I think there are lots of apps out there. I just use the nhs podcasts, and then I calculate my distance and average overall speed for calorie burn using a map program. But there are lots of apps out there - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387466-podcast-and-app-reviews might help?
    I'm using an 8 week program by zen labs. Tomorrow is W5D1 for me, two 8 min runs with one walk in between. Actually looking forward to it, my cardio endurance has improved leaps and bounds in the last few months.

I'm a run and a day behind - just did W4D2. Not as comfortable as last time because I decided I needed the bathroom fairly early on and had to be patient. But still, another run done!
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just finished up Week 5, Day 1. That 3rd 5 minute interval was tough for me, I had to talk myself through the last minute and a half and focus on keeping my strides long (they tend to get really small when I get tired and I'm barely moving along but moving my legs a whole lot)
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just finished up Week 5, Day 1. That 3rd 5 minute interval was tough for me, I had to talk myself through the last minute and a half and focus on keeping my strides long (they tend to get really small when I get tired and I'm barely moving along but moving my legs a whole lot)
    But you did it! Yay!
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey, you still gave it a shot. If I were you, I'd blame it on technical issues alone, so you don't get any ideas that you weren't good enough today. Really. Get back up on the horse another day and conquer that hill, claim it so it doesn't mess with your head anymore! I did the same and it worked.

Thanks, it's a good way to look at it. Once I realized I wasn't "getting credit" for my workout it was really easy to check out mentally. I've been a little irritated about it today, hopefully that gets me to the top next time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started doing this, I find myself more hungry throughout the day. The last couple of days I've been wanting lunch by 10:30 or 11:00 and I do have breakfast! I know I am burning a LOT of calories doing this (Tonight I burned over 300). Could that be a reason why?

You're expending energy, and subject to what your normal calorie goal is then 300 cals might be quite a large proportion of your daily intake.

When I was doing C25K I got into the habit of throwing a recovery drink down my neck as soon as I finished, about 200 cals generally.

Most of my runs now are in the 800 cals and upward range, so I eat...