Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I did W8D1, 28 minutes running. The first half felt really heavy, but then something began to click and toward the end it was fine.

Well done
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Okay soooo....I knocked W5D3 out of the PARK yesterday!! Actually...when the 20 minutes was up, I ran through the 5 mintue cool down too....then 10 minutes longer to the end of my trail...which made my total running time and distance....3 miles in 35 minutes!! Sooo, the question now becomes...do I go "backwards" and do W6D1 or do I just press forward with running the 5K 3 times a week?? That's all I want to do now anyway...it almost seems silly to me to go and do 20 minutes of intervals now....thoughts??
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Personally I'd say just continue to run the distance, but just be cautious of overdoing it as you've increased your distance quite significantly in one jump.

If you feel any twinges in your knees, ankles or shins then just ease back the pace or take an extra rest day.

Well done though, sounds like a solid result, you just need to consolidate on that now until you're ready to move onwards and upwards
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    hi all, just introducing myself! I went through wk7d3 and then ran an actual 5k event. I was so proud, I ran the whole thing! I NEVER imagined I could do that -- I've always thought of myself as genetically incapable of running.

Impressed with what we are getting done. Now I need to figure out what the next goal is I guess.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm on week 2 day 3 and feeling great so far! For as long as I can remember, I haaaated running. I remember doing the presidential fitness test 1 mile run thing in elementary school and looking at my gym teacher every lap trying to look as pathetic as possible so they would tell me it was okay to stop (that never worked). I've "started" C25k before, but never got past week 1 because I was so miserable.

After coming out of a bad depression, I decided I wanted to spend my newfound energy on being healthier. I started walking home from work (3mi) and after a couple of weeks of that, started again on C25k. I still walk home from work most days and just think of the running as extra.

This is probably not good, but after feeling pretty good doing week 2 day 2, I decided I wanted to just keep running to see what I could do. I maaaaaybe could have kept going, but I stopped at 12 minutes and 45 seconds at 4.7mph, meaning I RAN A MILE!!! I don't know the last time I did that.

I'm going to go back to the regularly scheduled programming now because I know my body isn't really ready for that kind of running on a regular basis, but it felt pretty amazing to do it!
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    W5D1 done. Onwards and upwards.

Keep it up everyone!
  • CynNSinCity
    CynNSinCity Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I completed my W1D1. I added an extra 60 seconds at the cool down... and then did weights and 20 minutes on the elliptical. I think I got this down. I just have to get over the psychological part of running. I'm super self conscious how I look and move so to even do the first day was a big accomplishment. (Even if it was in the women's gym section.)

Oh but my dad fixed his treadmill that's been sitting in my house for years... so I now have an additional source to run at. Though, I am determined to do my official days at the gym to get over this.

I asked a friend, who likes to exercise and run occasionally, if she would do a 5K with me. Since I'm in Vegas, I show one that was NOT in the heat. So on September 20, I will be doing my first 5K run ever! I've done walks before, but never even considered I would actually try to run it.
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 7, Day 2 tonight. I'm going to have to adjust my route on Week 8 to allow for the extra 3 minutes of running.

One question - when people say they've "graduated" from the program, I know it means that they've done 3.1 miles. My questions is whether it is 3.1 miles during the run portion only? Or is the total distance, including the 10 minutes of warm up and cool down? Just curious.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    One question - when people say they've "graduated" from the program, I know it means that they've done 3.1 miles. My questions is whether it is 3.1 miles during the run portion only? Or is the total distance, including the 10 minutes of warm up and cool down? Just curious.

It's 30 minutes continuous running, for some people that'll be 5K, for some it won't. The key thing with the programme is the time running. To build on it then there are a few options, either keep going with a 30 minute run, or 40 minute session, three to four times per week, or push to build speed or distance. Increasing speed inevitably involves increasing distance at this level though.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Week 7, Day 2 tonight. I'm going to have to adjust my route on Week 8 to allow for the extra 3 minutes of running.

I ran the full 5k and it took me 38 mins. Warm up and cool down was extra
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to get out this week to start Week 3. This cough I've come down with has left me feeling drained (and it's really annoying as well) plus the temperatures here have dropped. (My boss yesterday commented that it felt like a perfect November day. I had to agree with him. It's the last Wednesday in May and I turned the heat on in the office. That's just wrong.) By tomorrow the temperatures are supposed to get back up to normal and hopefully the medicine I am taking starts working so I can get out there and run! I missed it last night and miss walking in the morning. :frown:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    The RunDouble C25k app has a "distance" option, which I used. After week 2, you run increasing distances each week until you are running 5k, regardless of the time it takes to run it. (I may never be able to run 5k in 30 minutes!)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new people and great running, everyone!

If you're ill, you're ill; get rest and come back once you're fine again.

I just did W8D2 and now it's new territory again, very exciting! Four more runs and then I graduate - I won't run a full 5K by then, but that's what C25K+ is for.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    W7 D1 completed!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W7 D1 completed!
    Hey, I was wondering where you were! Glad to see such great progress!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Okay soooo....I knocked W5D3 out of the PARK yesterday!! Actually...when the 20 minutes was up, I ran through the 5 mintue cool down too....then 10 minutes longer to the end of my trail...which made my total running time and distance....3 miles in 35 minutes!! Sooo, the question now becomes...do I go "backwards" and do W6D1 or do I just press forward with running the 5K 3 times a week?? That's all I want to do now anyway...it almost seems silly to me to go and do 20 minutes of intervals now....thoughts??

That's so funny... I just did the same thing today! W5D3, and after the 20 min I just decided to keep going. I finished the 5k in 42 min. I was also wondering whether I should continue the program, but I think it may be a bit silly now to run 8 min and walk for 3... etc. Personally I am going to cut back to a 30 min run 3 x per week and just increase my time every few weeks. (The last 5 min were a bit too strenuous on my legs/hips) I'm not worried about distance or pace right now.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    W1D1. Um, yeah, after reading most of these posts I'm kinda embarrassed to say those last few one minute runs were a challenge. Ah well, I did it and I will be running a 5K in no time!!! ????????

You can do it! Believe me it gets easier every time to run. I was completely amazed at how I progressed through this program. I feared it at first, now I look forward to it.
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W2D3 done! I kicked the hills butt today. I also decided to run the way back without walking, stopping to walk once. I'll be ready for W3D1 on Friday. :-D Hit 2.5 miles. So happy.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W1D1. Um, yeah, after reading most of these posts I'm kinda embarrassed to say those last few one minute runs were a challenge. Ah well, I did it and I will be running a 5K in no time!!! ????????

You can do it! Believe me it gets easier every time to run. I was completely amazed at how I progressed through this program. I feared it at first, now I look forward to it.
    In the previous part of this very thread I confessed to having thought I'd never make it alive out of week 1. Yesterday I ran 28 minutes without stopping. It can be you in some weeks, just don't give up. Slow down when you need to and keep running. Bettering your oxygen uptake happens over time and it can be easy to feel impatient at times, but it'll pass sooner than you know.
    W2D3 done! I kicked the hills butt today. I also decided to run the way back without walking, stopping to walk once. I'll be ready for W3D1 on Friday. :-D Hit 2.5 miles. So happy.
    Good for you! Hill claimed, one down :D
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Woke up feeling much better this morning, W3D1 is on for tonight!