Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Daily Check In Thread

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I had to talk myself through the last minute and a half and focus on keeping my strides long (they tend to get really small when I get tired and I'm barely moving along but moving my legs a whole lot)

A higher cadence and shorter pace is something worth developing, as it's a more efficient stride and less likely to lead to injury.

Personally I find when I tire my stride lengthens as my cadence reduces.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Thanks, it's a good way to look at it. Once I realized I wasn't "getting credit" for my workout it was really easy to check out mentally. I've been a little irritated about it today, hopefully that gets me to the top next time.

Bad runs happen, the main thing is to get out there again next time.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    This morning was W5D1... I do a light jog, only about 2.9mph normally because I know speed will comes when I'm ready. I've come to the conclusion that as long as I have good tunes, I can make it through the run intervals pretty easy and without praying for the walk cues. I was actually disappointed when the session was done! It was a great start to my day and my family was up by the time I got back! They're never up before 8am on Saturdays lol
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    W2D2 did not get marked off today. There is a hill standing between me and a nice little stretch of road with a view so I'm trying to not avoid it. The hill seemed longer and steeper today. Normally I pause my app until I get to the top because there I no way I can jog it. Well, I got sick about halfway up then realized I forgot my fitbit, then my phone died, and of course it was raining. Lol. I gave up and jogged back home (~0.7 miles woohoo!). A little discouraging. :-(
    Hey, you still gave it a shot. If I were you, I'd blame it on technical issues alone, so you don't get any ideas that you weren't good enough today. Really. Get back up on the horse another day and conquer that hill, claim it so it doesn't mess with your head anymore! I did the same and it worked.

Thanks, it's a good way to look at it. Once I realized I wasn't "getting credit" for my workout it was really easy to check out mentally. I've been a little irritated about it today, hopefully that gets me to the top next time.
    Yes, on "paper" :) But you still know what you did and that's the only thing that matters; this is at the core of why we can only try to lie to ourselves.
  • AglaeaC
    I had to talk myself through the last minute and a half and focus on keeping my strides long (they tend to get really small when I get tired and I'm barely moving along but moving my legs a whole lot)

A higher cadence and shorter pace is something worth developing, as it's a more efficient stride and less likely to lead to injury.

Personally I find when I tire my stride lengthens as my cadence reduces.
    Good advice, I learned something new.
  • AglaeaC
    This morning was W5D1... I do a light jog, only about 2.9mph normally because I know speed will comes when I'm ready. I've come to the conclusion that as long as I have good tunes, I can make it through the run intervals pretty easy and without praying for the walk cues. I was actually disappointed when the session was done! It was a great start to my day and my family was up by the time I got back! They're never up before 8am on Saturdays lol
    Nice going! Here's an article published by NHS on running to music, it's interesting:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/running-music.aspx
  • kbl6318
    kbl6318 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm following the Zen Labs programme - finished Week 8 Day 2 yesterday and graduate on my next run!!

Decided to download the C210K programme and looking at doing a 10K run in September!

8 weeks ago I was a total non-runner!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Ever since I started doing this, I find myself more hungry throughout the day. The last couple of days I've been wanting lunch by 10:30 or 11:00 and I do have breakfast! I know I am burning a LOT of calories doing this (Tonight I burned over 300). Could that be a reason why?

You're expending energy, and subject to what your normal calorie goal is then 300 cals might be quite a large proportion of your daily intake.

When I was doing C25K I got into the habit of throwing a recovery drink down my neck as soon as I finished, about 200 cals generally.

Most of my runs now are in the 800 cals and upward range, so I eat...

I was at a 1400 calories goal. (set by me. MFP had me at 1200 but that is NOT enough!) I switched to maintenance mode yesterday, and it put me at 1490. Not a whole lot more! However, another side put me closer to 1800. Here I have sedentary selected as my job is an office job, but on that other side, I put active as it counts exercise into that consideration. I will just have to eat more/higher calories goods on my run days. (Especially need to today. I did gardening for about 3 hours at my church and it logged at just over 600 calories burned. On top of my running, I might burn nearly 1000 calories today!)
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Nice going! Here's an article published by NHS on running to music, it's interesting:

Thanks for the link! I will have to remember to keep the volume down a little to keep me aware of my surroundings... I tend to hear a good song and turn it up. Not good safety-wise or for the ear drums!
  • AglaeaC

Thanks for the link! I will have to remember to keep the volume down a little to keep me aware of my surroundings... I tend to hear a good song and turn it up. Not good safety-wise or for the ear drums!
    You're welcome. I have the beginnings of tinnitus and it's not fun. The thought of waltzing around with ringing ears for the rest of my life when there's quiet enough around me is pretty scary. Apparently tinnitus is made worse from stressing and then to have ringing ears forever is enough to scare you; enter a lovely cycle or constant stress :/ It's no laughing matter.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Completed Week 2! Between my running this evening and my gardening work at my church this morning, I've burned 865 calories today!
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Week 8 day 2 done. 30 mins running. Plus an extra 1.5mind cause I didn't hear my app telling me it was time to stop lol

Next run is final one and is 35 mins. I'm slow though so don't think I'll make 5k. Tempted to just keep going and see how long it takes.
  • AglaeaC
    Last year, before my twisted ankle etc., I started this thread on Virtual 5Ks:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1079318-virtual-5k

Go check it out, I wrote a suggestion there just now!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 604 Member
    Can someone please explain what cadence is? I'm clueless.

Finished W5D1 this morning, and I was very tired. Legs and lungs. I considered this a "bad" run for wanting to stop the entire length of the 3 intervals. It was tough, I had to keep adjusting my breathing where it was quite effortless the previous runs. But I finished. I think I needed a recovery day today (full body circuits Thursday, cardio day Friday) but I don't have time to run tomorrow so I ran today. That leaves rest for Monday, which is really the only day I am not crunched for time between work and dinner. And I hope my DOMS is gone by then too.

Oh, and I put in a 10k hike on top of the run this afternoon to get my steps in and gain mileage for a challenge I am participating in this month. My endurance was great, but my legs are dead tired.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Finished week 5 day 2 today. The first 8 was a breeze, the second 8 was a battle towards the end but I made it through and was so proud of myself. Bring on that 20 minute run!
  • MeanderingMammal

Steps per minute. At a higher number of steps per minute each step is shorter.

As a newbie runner it's not something to focus too hard on, I found that after I finished C25K and moved on the C25K+ programme I was able to increase my cadence, which had the effect of increasing my speed, although each pace was shorter.

Main point is, not to intentionally lengthen the stride now as there will be a need to shorten it again later, and the easiest way to do that is to up the cadence.

It also helps avoid the dreaded shin splints, which are horribly debilitating.
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member

Finished W5D1 this morning, and I was very tired. Legs and lungs. I considered this a "bad" run for wanting to stop the entire length of the 3 intervals. It was tough, I had to keep adjusting my breathing where it was quite effortless the previous runs. But I finished. I think I needed a recovery day today (full body circuits Thursday, cardio day Friday) but I don't have time to run tomorrow so I ran today. That leaves rest for Monday, which is really the only day I am not crunched for time between work and dinner. And I hope my DOMS is gone by then too.

Oh, and I put in a 10k hike on top of the run this afternoon to get my steps in and gain mileage for a challenge I am participating in this month. My endurance was great, but my legs are dead tired.

I found the 8/9 min interval runs harder than where I am now (30 mins straight run). I think because they are short enough to focus on the the end and want them over iykwim.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    W1D1. Um, yeah, after reading most of these posts I'm kinda embarrassed to say those last few one minute runs were a challenge. Ah well, I did it and I will be running a 5K in no time!!! ????????
  • MeanderingMammal
    W1D1. Um, yeah, after reading most of these posts I'm kinda embarrassed to say those last few one minute runs were a challenge.

Well done. You'll find the gains in the first few weeks quite significant, so you'll look back and wonder what the problem was.

I was out on Friday night and thought, not much more than a year ago my first C25K session covered what I now think of as the home stretch...
  • AglaeaC
    W1D1. Um, yeah, after reading most of these posts I'm kinda embarrassed to say those last few one minute runs were a challenge. Ah well, I did it and I will be running a 5K in no time!!! ????????
    I was dying during my first week. In fact I thought I'd never get past week 1 so I retook a couple of days and I did the same with week 2. Now I'm about to run 28 minutes in one go; never thought it possible. You will be running 5K in no time, really! Well done for beginning :)