Options

Replies

• Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • marinadanielle
    marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello all, sounds like everyone is doing a great job!

Did my second day of Week 5 Day 2 today. When I did W5D2 last week, Runkeeper had me at about a 11:34 minute mile pace, so I was a little disappointed to finish the run and see that I'd run at about a 16:43 pace today! (Although last week during my run I believe the voiceover said "current pace, 43 miles per hour," so either I'm a car and I didn't know it, or my app is having some trouble with the GPS).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a good app to use for the program? I've been using C25k by Zen Labs, and I loved it at first, but the app has been pausing my runs more and more frequently. Today it paused TWICE, once about 1 minute in to my first run, and then again during the walking segment immediately following that run. Luckily I had Runkeeper also running, so I was able to compare times and see how approximately how much extra walk/run time I had done. But it's getting really frustrating and I don't know if I trust the app moving into Week 5 Day 3. Any suggestions?

A little nervous for W5D3! The reduction in pace today makes me worry that I'm not quite ready and that maybe I should do W5D2 one more time, but I figure I'll give it a try and see how far I can make it!

Good luck to everyone with their runs this weekend!
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I finished W2D3 today. I am finishing the 90 sec run decently, but I am really concerned with the increase to 3mins for the next run. I am already going really slow... if I go any slower I will probably be going backwards! :-p
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Hello all, sounds like everyone is doing a great job!

Did my second day of Week 5 Day 2 today. When I did W5D2 last week, Runkeeper had me at about a 11:34 minute mile pace, so I was a little disappointed to finish the run and see that I'd run at about a 16:43 pace today! (Although last week during my run I believe the voiceover said "current pace, 43 miles per hour," so either I'm a car and I didn't know it, or my app is having some trouble with the GPS).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a good app to use for the program? I've been using C25k by Zen Labs, and I loved it at first, but the app has been pausing my runs more and more frequently. Today it paused TWICE, once about 1 minute in to my first run, and then again during the walking segment immediately following that run. Luckily I had Runkeeper also running, so I was able to compare times and see how approximately how much extra walk/run time I had done. But it's getting really frustrating and I don't know if I trust the app moving into Week 5 Day 3. Any suggestions?

A little nervous for W5D3! The reduction in pace today makes me worry that I'm not quite ready and that maybe I should do W5D2 one more time, but I figure I'll give it a try and see how far I can make it!

Good luck to everyone with their runs this weekend!

I personally would move on and don't worry too much about pace, as long as you are running at a comfortable pace. I have been pretty happy with the RunDouble app.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Hubby and I finished W2D3 today. I am finishing the 90 sec run decently, but I am really concerned with the increase to 3mins for the next run. I am already going really slow... if I go any slower I will probably be going backwards! :-p

Each time you increase the length of runs you might have to slow down. (You can work on speed later!)

You can do this!!!
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just finished W8D3! It was so hot out today, I took it pretty slow. I almost wiped out because I tripped over a crack in the side walk, but I was able to catch myself before I fell on my face :/ That being said, there are good runs, and bad runs-so I'll call this one "not my greatest" and look forward to Wednesday, when I do my graduation run :) Have fun everyone!
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Did W1,D3 last night... Each time I have tried this program in the past, I have had to stop after week two because I cannot catch my breath and breathe correctly to keep going. I am working on it and really want to finish this program so I can run my first 5K in the spring (giving myself a lot of extra time).... any suggestions?
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Completed week 3 yesterday, and I started week 4 tomorrow! Got some new running shoes and the increased support will be great (broke them in with a long walk last night and another one this morning). Happy running, all!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Did W1,D3 last night... Each time I have tried this program in the past, I have had to stop after week two because I cannot catch my breath and breathe correctly to keep going. I am working on it and really want to finish this program so I can run my first 5K in the spring (giving myself a lot of extra time).... any suggestions?

Just run at a pace you can talk at. Do not worry about the speed, just complete the time segments. Running outside will help, trying to run on a dreadmill and getting the speed right I found almost impossible. Outside I got to a natural comfortable pace for me. YMMV
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....broke them in with a long walk last night and another one this morning....

Decent shoes shouldn't need broken in, but glad you find them comfortable.

With running shoes it's wise to limit their use to running only, particularly as you start doing longer distances. The wear pattern from running and walking is different, and your shoes have got a life of about 300-500 miles, but that's reduced if you disrupt the wear pattern.

Personally I have three pairs of road shoes and two pairs of trail shoes that I rotate to avoid having to transition too much when I replace them.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    W5D1
    I liked this one. The second 5mins was so smooth.The last 5mins I did feel it more. Not sure about on Wednesday. 2 lots of 8mins. Im going in with the I will do it.

Well put a post up on Wednesday and not even going to think about W5D3 until I have done it......

:laugh:
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ....broke them in with a long walk last night and another one this morning....

Decent shoes shouldn't need broken in, but glad you find them comfortable.

With running shoes it's wise to limit their use to running only, particularly as you start doing longer distances. The wear pattern from running and walking is different, and your shoes have got a life of about 300-500 miles, but that's reduced if you disrupt the wear pattern.

Personally I have three pairs of road shoes and two pairs of trail shoes that I rotate to avoid having to transition too much when I replace them.

Yes i have walking runners running runners and everyday wear runners. Its the only way.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

Just run at a pace you can talk at. Do not worry about the speed, just complete the time segments. Running outside will help, trying to run on a dreadmill and getting the speed right I found almost impossible. Outside I got to a natural comfortable pace for me. YMMV

Definitely slow down! You should be able to have a conversation while running or you are trying to go too fast.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    W3D1 DONE!!! I was really nervous about the 3min runs (double my previous) but I did it!!! I couldn't have gone a step further, but I am looking forward to improving over the next two runs. Its amazing how far I've come in just two weeks.... at the beginning of this I was gasping for breath at 30secs!
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    W5D1
    I liked this one. The second 5mins was so smooth.The last 5mins I did feel it more. Not sure about on Wednesday. 2 lots of 8mins. Im going in with the I will do it.

Well put a post up on Wednesday and not even going to think about W5D3 until I have done it......

:laugh:

I'm right there with you- completed W5D1 this morning! I'm looking forward to W5D2, and more than a little nervous about W5D3!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just finished W1D1! It was a little harder than I expected, which usually means I need to slow down. I did have some wheezing issues this morning, I passed by a couple fresh-cut lawns and my hay-fever triggered some mild asthma. For the most part it isn't too bad, just a feeling of heaviness on my chest and a tightness in my throat. Hopefully Wednesday there will be less grass in the air and it will be better!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Just finished W1D1! It was a little harder than I expected, which usually means I need to slow down. I did have some wheezing issues this morning, I passed by a couple fresh-cut lawns and my hay-fever triggered some mild asthma. For the most part it isn't too bad, just a feeling of heaviness on my chest and a tightness in my throat. Hopefully Wednesday there will be less grass in the air and it will be better!

Great job on getting out there! Slow down until you are at a pace you could hold a conversation.

What are people thinking mowing lawns!? I get those allergy issues too!
  • foomsy
    foomsy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Completed W8D1 today. The runs not too bad, but i seem to be getting some pain lately in my knee when walking down the stairs and also after my 5 min walk it takes about 2 -3 mins before i can start to jog properly.

Also i feel my body should be used to this running by now but i still get aches or i should say really tired on the days i jog.

Any help or advice is appreciated on what to do.....
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Completed W8D1 today. The runs not too bad, but i seem to be getting some pain lately in my knee when walking down the stairs and also after my 5 min walk it takes about 2 -3 mins before i can start to jog properly.

Also i feel my body should be used to this running by now but i still get aches or i should say really tired on the days i jog.

Any help or advice is appreciated on what to do.....

How old are your shoes? I started getting pains in my knee which went away almost immediately after I got fitted for new shoes.
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 2! This mornings run (walk?) was much easier than my last run, not looking forward to the slightly longer runs in Week 3 though!