Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I was an avid MFP user and completed C25k in 2011. I've since had a rough couple of years fitness-wise, and I'm start the program again. Today I completed W3D1. It is definitely easier this time than it was the first time, but I'm a little ashamed of myself for letting myself get so out of shape, when two years ago I was running 3-4 miles at a time. Oh well. Baby steps.

But you came back! You're doing it!!!????
  • lgodwin413
    lgodwin413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Completed week 6 day 1 today. Slow but consistent. I also wasn't sure I could do 20 minutes on week 5 day 3 but read it's more mental challenge than physical. Your body can physical do this. Don't let your mind tell you otherwise. I slowed down but did the 20 minutes. You can do it!!
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes I did it ! Completed the twenty minutes and found it a lot easier than I feared. I'm very chuffed with myself.
    Thanks for your encouragement - congratulations on completing week 6 day 1 too!
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just finished w7d2 today! Great job everyone :)
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the group. *wave*

Finished Week 1 Day 2 last night... looking forward to the next one!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting, you are on the way to achieving success.

W8D1 done, two sessions to finishing phase 1. I will succeed
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My next run is W6, D3 - the 22 minute run. I am so encouraged to read updates from folks who are ahead of me, who still remember when they were struggling with 3 minutes but are now running straight through - gives me lots of hope! I never thought of myself as a runner but it looks like I'm getting there! Because of being out of town and scheduling constraints I missed running earlier in the week and as a result did my D1 and D2 back to back. I was going to try to squeeze in my D3 tomorrow, but from what others are saying above, perhaps I'll skip tomorrow to rest and do my D3 the following day. I had the same question as the OP - how often do regular runners run. I was sort of hoping that once I worked my way up to running 5K that it could become a daily cardio fix for me. But it sounds like some think it is good to have off days...? Maybe just run on alternate days...? Is this primarily just to be kind to the legs and joints?
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well done to everyone who is started or is continuing. I know how hard it may feel but the best advice is not to let setbacks get you down. If you can't complete it today then don't, complete it in a couple of days, but don't let it beat you.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hello all new people and well done those who are already on their way!

cantobean, it is a clean slate for you, be kind to yourself :)
    My next run is W6, D3 - the 22 minute run. I am so encouraged to read updates from folks who are ahead of me, who still remember when they were struggling with 3 minutes but are now running straight through - gives me lots of hope! I never thought of myself as a runner but it looks like I'm getting there! Because of being out of town and scheduling constraints I missed running earlier in the week and as a result did my D1 and D2 back to back. I was going to try to squeeze in my D3 tomorrow, but from what others are saying above, perhaps I'll skip tomorrow to rest and do my D3 the following day. I had the same question as the OP - how often do regular runners run. I was sort of hoping that once I worked my way up to running 5K that it could become a daily cardio fix for me. But it sounds like some think it is good to have off days...? Maybe just run on alternate days...? Is this primarily just to be kind to the legs and joints?
    The programme is designed to allow the body to adapt to a very different and much more stressful way of moving. The whole apparatus needs to rebuild and strengthen stuff which takes time. Therefore it is advisable not to run more than three days a week in the beginning. You'll work the number up soon enough.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been catching up with posts and just want to remind you that not only this thread and the stickies contain gems, but there's great stuff to read on the "old" pages too!

I just resurrected a thread written by MeanderingMammal a few weeks ago and it addresses the situation where you have some leftover energy toward the end of a run. Go read it!
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have juts finished my W9D3 run.

:noway:

Seriously though. I'm in shock still. I didn't stop at 30 minutes...I kept going until I did 5k (42 mins).

The ONLY reason I could keep going is because I found a pace that I'm comfortable at, and that doesn't leave me gasping, so for anyone still doubting the whole 'slow down' advice - take it from me, it's a good idea!!

I will however not be doing 42 mins 3 times a week yet - gotta build on my 30 minutes, but I will keep running :)
  • snowdancer03
    snowdancer03 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Just finished W4D2 and new to the board. I had a slower time today but I blame it on the fact that my dog decided to swim down a river after a raccoon. I never thought I would say this but I think I am finally starting to enjoy this running business. Now I just need to keep it up and get through the whole program. :)
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just finished the first intimidating 20 minute run yesteday at about a 12:30 pace. My first 5K is in 4 weeks. I'm starting to think I will actually be able to finish it with no walking.
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    W7D3 today, only one more week to go!

Today was harder than usual. I've been working overtime at work and sleeping less so my body has just been exhausted. I did it though. With a funny twist in the middle.

About 8 minutes into my run, I was running down one of the hills on my route. I had gone down this hill every running day for the past 7 weeks. I knew the hill, the hill knew me. About halfway down, something happened. It might have been the exhaustion of my body, it might have been on a whim of that tricky creature known as a hill, but one moment I was running along, minding my own business, just listening to my running playlist (I'll Make a Man Out of You, from Mulan was playing), when BAM, my knee his the pavement. Shortly followed by the rest of my body which then decided that just falling wasn't enough, I obviously had to roll a couple times.

When I came to a halt (feeling like hours had passed when really it was less than 3 seconds), I got right back up and kept running.

Yup, awesomest thing I have ever done was keep running after that fall.

As an afterthought, my knee hurts ;)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

When I came to a halt (feeling like hours had passed when really it was less than 3 seconds), I got right back up and kept running.

Yup, awesomest thing I have ever done was keep running after that fall.

As an afterthought, my knee hurts ;)

AWESOME. I hope your knee is better, rest if you need to, there is no prize for damaging your body.

More cheerfully W8D2 done, One session left and then C210k W9.

Well done everyone
  • snowdancer03
    snowdancer03 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I didn't run today due to the overwhelming smoke in the air from all of the local wild fires. BUT I did just sign up for the Neon Vibe 5K run. It is September 6th and fits in with my schedule perfectly!! :)
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bring on week 8! W7D3 done :)
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am on W3 D2 so just starting but I am really starting to enjoy it. I am 58 and I am down from 31 min to 28 min salt walk and jog. I am happy to be outside with my Christian music on and just letting go:-) I know I can do this. Thanks for all the inspiration you all give me.
  • Berti2802
    Berti2802 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I finished W9D1 on Saturday. 4.94k in 30 Minutes. Close enough. I am so happy.

Greetings from Germany
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Week 8 Day 1. I thought I was going to die.

Well, not really, I could have kept jogging, but mentally my brain decided to go "Is it over yet" around the 26 minute mark and I had to push past that.

On a side note, my knee is better, and the ankle that I apparently rolled causing me to fall on Saturday was only slightly stiff today and caused me no trouble.