Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    C25k completed today, finished up with going longer today to get a 5km done in 32min24sec. Given that I started 8 weeks struggling to keep going for 5 mins, what a result. It truly is mind over matter!

Keep going people, you will succeed.
  • CynNSinCity
    CynNSinCity Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For the past 3 weeks, I only went to the gym one... went back to my bad eating habits. Yesterday, I decided to take control back and headed to the gym. I completed week 5 before I dived off the cliff... so I went back to the beginning of week 4 to move forward. It was a bit hard, but I finished w4d1. So, a minor loss of time, but knowing I can get back on track and be successful. My 5k is in Sept, so I have time to finish this and a few weeks to improve time. Also have a new partner to run with. My little brother is off to boot in Oct, so he's working out with me and I'm making him do the 5k with me. :D
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Completed week 1 today.
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W8D1 done! It was tough, after 25 min I really wanted to walk, but I slowed way down and pushed through. Definitely more of a mental challenge than physical one for me :) Everyone keep it up, and congrats to the graduates!!
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well done everybody above - keep at it! I did week 6D3 today!
    It feels like another life ago when I started, but it's worth it.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm new here. My husband and I have signed up for a 5K run for Sept 20. Today we completed W2D2. When I started last week I had trouble even running 45 seconds but with all the tips from this group today I breezed through the run. I did have one question... I got a blister on my foot (at the base of my big toe) because I was wearing cotton socks. It starts feeling better the night after I run, but when I run again, two days later, it starts hurting again. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to deal with it?
    Jenn
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm new here. My husband and I have signed up for a 5K run for Sept 20. Today we completed W2D2. When I started last week I had trouble even running 45 seconds but with all the tips from this group today I breezed through the run. I did have one question... I got a blister on my foot (at the base of my big toe) because I was wearing cotton socks. It starts feeling better the night after I run, but when I run again, two days later, it starts hurting again. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to deal with it?
    Jenn

I get blisters too. Suggestions that might help some:

1. wear a very thin sock inside your running sock
    2. bandage over the sore spot
    3. Slather a layer of vaseline over the spot before putting on your sock.

I do a combination of 1 and 3 with the occasional bandage if I'm doing a lot of running.

Hope that helps!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've used antiseptic cream, instead of vaseline above, which I have found makes my blisters leathery and as a result the blister does not bother me.
  • vogtmrh95
    Options
    I just finished w3 and started on w4, but i'm having trouble breathing and cant get through the full workout without wheezing and i dont have asthma, at least i dont think. I didnt know if anybody has any breathing tips for when running, that might possibly help! I really wanted to stick with it. Any help?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I just finished w3 and started on w4, but i'm having trouble breathing and cant get through the full workout without wheezing and i dont have asthma, at least i dont think. I didnt know if anybody has any breathing tips for when running, that might possibly help! I really wanted to stick with it. Any help?

Slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. If you can't talk (or sing) when running, you are trying to go to fast.
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    W8D2 today, went ~2.3-2.4 miles in the 28 minutes of running, which is fantastic! Especially since a couple weeks ago I was going at a 12.5 minute pace. so at least 15 seconds per mile faster :)
  • vogtmrh95
    Options

Slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. If you can't talk (or sing) when running, you are trying to go to fast.

Thank you for the advice! I have been a little concerned with time, so I'll slow it down and see if that can help me. Thanks again
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I have been a little concerned with time, so I'll slow it down and see if that can help me. Thanks again

Focus on running for time at the moment, once you can comfortably run for 30 minutes then you can think about how to increase your distance or pace.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    So... finally...

W9D3 yesterday! 10:13 splits.

I'm on "Free Runs" now in the app. I also discovered a way to not think about how much time it's been or what distance I've gone: I'm a musician, and randomly started seeing my hand air-playing along with some of my music. Focused on that, and didn't even think about the run.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Wk2d1 today. Felt really good. I started last Friday and had to have my husband come pick me up 1/4 mile from home because I was terrified I would vomit on the sidewalk. Today, the running intervals flew by. I'm sure that means the next run will be a little rougher but at least I'll know my body can do it :)
  • foomsy
    foomsy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hello All just joined the group member 9000.

I finished Week 7 day 3 this morning and it feels good to be able to do this. 25mins non stop jogging not running as i only jog.
    I should complete the C25k next week.
    Not so sure what to do once finished - maybe focus on increasing my speed a bit for 2 week then start on the C210K or just start the 10K immediately. what do you guys think?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

I finished Week 7 day 3 this morning and it feels good to be able to do this. 25mins non stop jogging not running as i only jog.
    Not so sure what to do once finished - maybe focus on increasing my speed a bit for 2 week then start on the C210K or just start the 10K immediately. what do you guys think?

I moved right on to a 5 to 10k program. I was doing a distance version, so when I finished C25K, I was running 3 miles in about 33 minutes.

As you build distance and increase your base, speed will come.
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W8D2 done! I took it a bit slower than W8D1, and it was so much easier! I can't believe how close I am to the end of this program :) Especially since I struggled with the 5 min runs. Just gotta trust the process!
  • foomsy
    Options

I moved right on to a 5 to 10k program. I was doing a distance version, so when I finished C25K, I was running 3 miles in about 33 minutes.

As you build distance and increase your base, speed will come.

Thanks
    I use Zen labs and just follow based on the time 25mins for 2.5miles not sure if it is really 2.5 miles but it sure is 25mins jogging.
    So maybe i will just move unto their 10k programme and see how that goes.
  • foomsy
    Options
    W8D2 done! I took it a bit slower than W8D1, and it was so much easier! I can't believe how close I am to the end of this program :) Especially since I struggled with the 5 min runs. Just gotta trust the process!

Well done. keep it up. Not far to go