Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    W3D3 done today, and I had a pace increase from 15 min/mile to 13 min/mile. Slow and steady. :)
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BTW, what's up with MFP running Kit Kat ads on their site? :neutral:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    It's based on your google searches. @sfinsc
    mine is all medical stuff :open_mouth:
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    It's based on your google searches. @sfinsc
    mine is all medical stuff :open_mouth:

mines shoes ;)

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I ran 2 miles today focusing on increasing speed as i completed c25k and the race date (9/27) approaches.
  • dedicatedlurker
    dedicatedlurker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Finished W9-3! Program done.

I can't hit 5K in half an hour, though, so I'm going to increase my running time until I get there :)
  • snha
    Options

I can't hit 5K in half an hour, though, so I'm going to increase my running time until I get there :)

The same for me! I am trying to do that by running 2-4 miles every other day (or even every day if on the lower end) focusing on more intervals of faster running. Can you or anyone else suggest other strategies that might help with pace?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »

The same for me! I am trying to do that by running 2-4 miles every other day (or even every day if on the lower end) focusing on more intervals of faster running. Can you or anyone else suggest other strategies that might help with pace?

Pick up a bridge to 10k program. It will extend your runs and build on your base. Once your base is solid, you can do more stuff like speed work intervals etc.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Yay for the graduates
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Finally making real progress with this.

I got to week 3 and it was struggle the whole way. Those 3 minute runs killed me.

Tried W4D1 and failed terribly. Then put off W4D2, and then put off W4D3 and went on to just not run at all for about a month.

Got back on the horse, started at W3 and found it really quite comfortable. Went on to W4 and was amazed at my running 5minutes straight, it felt like a real achievement (it WAS a real achievement).

W5D1 was the first time I felt "Ive got this" and I nailed it.
    W5D2, with the 8 minute run, scared the hell out of me, but somehow it just didnt seem any worse than the 5minuts the run before.
    W5D3 - 20 minute run, I just thought "Ill give it a go and see how far I get". I got to 10 minutes, which encouraged me to keep going. I got to 15 minutes, knackared and huffing and puffing, but by then had gone too far not to finish. I ran 20 minutes straight, and still cant really believe it.

W6 was a similar story, just got on with it and did it. Though I did cheat a little and walk for two 30sec intervals on the 25min run. In my defence I had a terrible nights sleep so thats my excuse!

W7 starts tomorrow. I know Im going to struggle. I know my legs will ache. I know I will have to be really mindful of my breathing. I know I might get a stictch. And I know if I have a bad night tonight Ill struggle for energy.

I also know I can do it. And week 8, and week 9.

Im still trying to work out how/why etc. What changed in that month off? Honestly Im still not sure, the only real difference has been my focus I guess. Instead of thinking "this is horrible" Ive thought "just get through it/get on with it".

I certainly dont consider myself a runner. I still sont particularly like it. I dont feel Im particularly good at it, and I want to improve a huge amount before I can be really comfortable doing it. However, a couple of months ago running for 3 minutes wasnt possible, wasnt something I could do. And now I look where I am and cant believe it.

• faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My first 20 minute run was today!!!!! I was a little worried at first, but I won the mental challenge it threw at me. At about 5 minutes my brain was telling me to stop, but I kept pressing, at 10 minutes my brain was telling me to stop, but I kept going. At 15 minutes, my heart and lungs were telling me to stop, but I just slowed my pace a bit. At 20 minutes, I thought, "Oh really? I'm done? I could've done more!" I ran for 1.91 miles straight today!!! :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @faithan84 @samhennings good work guys
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    W6D1 today, not sure i can say im enjoying this yet tho :P lol
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    faithan84 wrote: »
    My first 20 minute run was today!!!!! I was a little worried at first, but I won the mental challenge it threw at me. At about 5 minutes my brain was telling me to stop, but I kept pressing, at 10 minutes my brain was telling me to stop, but I kept going. At 15 minutes, my heart and lungs were telling me to stop, but I just slowed my pace a bit. At 20 minutes, I thought, "Oh really? I'm done? I could've done more!" I ran for 1.91 miles straight today!!! :smiley:

Great job!!!

I did W4D2 today. I was really slow but got it done. I joined a walkers-to-runners group and had the first group last night and it was great. I'm supposed to run 10-15 minutes a day, with one day of rest for this first part and the program runs for 15 weeks total. I am probably going to have to put the C25K app aside for a while and just concentrate on the plan laid out for this program. I'm excited to have a group and to be referred to as a "runner". I'll get there!
  • snha
    Options
    @faithan84 excellent job. Way to go!
    @samhennings you're doing it and will complete it. way to go.
    @katharmonic that is such a good idea--i mean having a group to run with. i should try that, even once a week will be a change of pace and activity. Good luck.
    @moyer566 i saw you did a good run today. way to go.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Thanks @snha
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This has been quite the week. In my work life, I am a principal -- and all 620 of my kids came back this week. I did nothing but run around all week (averaging 13,000 steps by 5:00 pm) and every day was 11 hours or longer. As soon as I got home, I collapsed. I just couldn't lace up my running shoes to go out.

Today I finally went for a run -- w7d2, which is r 3:00, w 3:00, r 20:00 in the plan I am following. I was worried about the 20:00, but it was fine! I even felt like I could have gone for a couple more minutes. I'm so glad I had that base built up before this week.

It's so exciting to hear eveyone's stories. Keep up the good work!
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

W7D1 done yesterday, covered 2.5 miles in the 25 min run.

Im on course for the 5k!
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!

W11D1 done today. I looked ahead in my 17 week program and I think it increased in difficulty since my last fitness test. I'm looking forward to being able to do what it says I'll be able to do. I'm incredulous, but then again, I didn't think I'd make it this far!
  • dedicatedlurker
    dedicatedlurker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good job everyone!

My plan had been to add a lap (0.25 km) every session until I worked up to 5K. Instead, I felt pretty good today, so I just went ahead to 5K right away :lol:

So now I'll keep doing that, and try to increase my pace.