Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Ive been thinking about what to do when I complete the program.

A lot of people suggest the bridge to 10k, which I am certainly interested in at some point, but I think initially Ill just focus on running a stronger 5k for a while.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Ive been thinking about what to do when I complete the program.

A lot of people suggest the bridge to 10k, which I am certainly interested in at some point, but I think initially Ill just focus on running a stronger 5k for a while.

The best way to run a stronger 5k, is to run further than 5k. Which is why Bridge to 10k is regularly mentioned as the next stepping stone,
  • samhennings
    Options
    Ill certainly move onto that, but for an interim period I think Ill be better served just getting a solid 5k "base" under me.

• Six5
    Six5 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you. I started C25K and have been lurking here for a while. I struggled with endurance to get through the running intervals and read a bunch of advice on here. Yesterday I made it through all my running intervals with energy to spare!

The best advice I read was to slow down. Literally running slower than I walk. It made all the difference in my endurance. So thanks for the advice!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    glad you are finding success :)@Six5
  • allyj128
    allyj128 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I completed W2D2 yesterday and felt great! I've been on the treadmill with the hot, humid weather, but since it's broken a bit I'm hoping to run outside tomorrow!
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone, your all doing great, and slowing down is deffo the best advice ever!!

W6D2 today.

Also had a NSV, my jacket that was a struggle to zip up will now zip all the way! Its still pretty snug but deffo looser than before :smile:

• faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    W11D2 done this morning! I'm cruising along!
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    All of you are doing really well and

@Six5, that is an excellent advice. I was running for endurance today and kept reminding myself that @moyer566 did suggest to slow down and I did--the who running time i kept talking myself to slowing down (funny thing, it's not actually easy to slow down).

@faithan84 I am going to start bridge to 10k this week, we'll see where that will take me to. You're doing great.

Ran 4.51 miles today--can't wait to run my race on the 27th!
  • samhennings
    Options
    W7D2 done, started stronger than last time, finished weaker! All about the pacing!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    you are so right @samhennings
    i think that's why i like to run to music. it keeps me at a steady pace. listening to a podcast would be nice but i still need help staying steady
  • Endofmytether
    Endofmytether Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the 5k runner app and I'm on w8d1 which is the 28 min run. I'm on the treadmill so I can supervise the kids at the same time, I was running at 6mph but last night I was up for a few hours (sick kids) and I also have a head cold, but I thought I'd just get up and run. I usually run first thing as I feel good all day but was dragging my carcass out of bed this am. I know, poor me, but I took the pace to 5.5mph and I only went and done 30 mins!! At 6mph I felt dizzy and nauseous at the end of the 22min and 25 min runs but today I was good!!

I'm looking forward to Thursday's 30 min (I'll do 33) and then Saturday's 35 min which should be 5k covered.

I just wish I could run everyday because I feel so good, mood and energy levels are up. If anyone has advice on this please impart.
  • samhennings
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    you are so right @samhennings
    i think that's why i like to run to music. it keeps me at a steady pace. listening to a podcast would be nice but i still need help staying steady

Its really annoying, as it wasnt a deliberate thing at all.

Im doing the NHS podcast which has (pretty lame) music between the voiceover telling you your intervals.

The last run I remember feeling tired at about 5 minutes, but then i hit a comfortable pace and plodded through it.

This morning, at 5 minutes, I was feeling good. Certainly wasnt pushing myself nor purposely going any faster, but it seems I should have been mindful at that time of keeping a slower pace.

So run three is Thursday, Im hoping I can nail it!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I'm loving that i can run iheart with my vivosmart and set up workouts and intervals of my choosing with the app. I've been listening to more dub and edm to improve my times
  • snha
    Options
    started bridge to 10K. yes!

W9D1
  • BeckyAnn71
    BeckyAnn71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started C25k today from the beginning. I have had many obstacles since last running 5k plus last Summer on a regular basis. I can't seem to accept that running may not be in the cards for me anymore, so here I am having completed Wk1 Day 1 today. I ran on a bark dust trail for the first time. In the past it's been treadmill or flat cement. So it was a challenge to go to this park and have some unleveled ground, and a bit of some incline. It went really good. My main issue didn't come up until the last two rounds, when normally it comes up by half way through. I'm not sure what is going on, but I suspect fluid retention in my legs is part of it, which maybe the much cooler morning helped but also I have lowered my sodium. But I also get tightening and pressure, and so I wore my old shoes that have nearly no arch, and I was much more comfortable in those when the tightening occurred. I'm hoping that now that I'm back to losing weight again that I gained this last year, that it will also help.

It's so exciting to see people working through C25k! I think it's a great schedule, I tried others before it. And I remember the excitement of running for the first time in 20 years, let alone reaching 5k. So WTG!

I have a question. How does one deal with the bark dust getting into your shoes and creating slivers? I did have to stop briefly for one, but the rest I just tolerated.
  • snha
    Options
    @BeckyAnn71 I don't have an answer to your question about the dust (I run on paved surfaces), but welcome and good for you taking the step to run. See you around.
  • dedicatedlurker
    dedicatedlurker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    The best way to run a stronger 5k, is to run further than 5k. Which is why Bridge to 10k is regularly mentioned as the next stepping stone,

Hmm... I was just going to keep doing 5K, too, but I finally took a look at my 10K app and realized the intervals (at least at the start) ones where you run faster.

I may have to change my plan now :smiley:
  • samhennings
    Options
    Let me know how it goes!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    BeckyAnn71 wrote: »
    I have a question. How does one deal with the bark dust getting into your shoes and creating slivers? I did have to stop briefly for one, but the rest I just tolerated.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bark dust (I don't know the term) but I know a lot of trail runners use items called "Gaiters" these are usually elastic at the top either above your ankle, or near your knee, and attach to the shoe somehow to help stop stuff getting in.