Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, living in the dark-too-early rural countryside with no street lights. Last week I broke down and bought a treadmill. At the Salvation Army. For $30. I'll be running in my garage all winter - no coyotes, no darkness, and no snow or ice to contend with. It's, unfortunately, a better winter option for me.

Yep I just had this realization a moment ago. I *could* go to a gym or get a treadmill! It's definitely worth some thought!

I got mine for free off Craigslist. Sometimes people just don't feel like moving them out of their basement. It cost me a penny in gasoline and it was HARD to get out of the guy's basement, but I cannot overstate how incredible it has been for my weight loss and health in general to have it in my house!!!!!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is my first time posting here because I just discovered the C25K group, but I attempted W5D3 today and, boy, was it rough! I made it to 10 minutes and had to take a walking break because my calves were so tight they felt like they were going to burst! :D Then I picked back up intending to finish out the last 10 minutes, but I had to walk at 15 minutes again for a minute before I finished the run. What everyone else has been saying is totally true - there is most definitely a mental roadblock you have to push through more than anything else...more than the feeling of wanting to give burning muscles and lungs a break! I need to learn to get out of my own head and just go!
    Despite today not being a total success, I'm still feeling good, because I gave it a try! I'll rest up tomorrow so I can get back out there and try W5D3 again, and I'll repeat it until I can run the whole 20 minutes without stopping!
    Good luck to everyone else and keep up the good work! This group is full of inspiration - I'm so glad I stumbled upon it!

My guess is the next run you'll be amazed in the difference. This is such a mental game! Good luck - and great job trying it. You'll be successful very Soon!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Week 1 day 1, glad to join you!

Welcome!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @BethAnnieT welcome. I love country runs when given an oppurtunity. there are lights either for the brim of the hat or to carry(knuckle lights). I've found coyotes to be scaredy cats in my area. and treadmills are always an option. especially if weather gets really cruddy.
    @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn i had the same feeling when i found out my samsung health app was greatly overestimating my mileage. but great job doing the 20 min
    @clgaram720 welcome :)
    @maggieklynn the mental game of running is such a huge part of it. I started with thinking I can't keep going at ten min, and then it pushed back to 15, and now 25 min. I use music to help me keep going. it distracts my brain and I sing the lyrics and it drowns out my doubts. If you can get your brain to shush with music, mantras, mathematics, etc, your legs will keep chugging along.
    and if you haven't, massage the calves with your hands, a ball, or a foam roller. it will help break up the tightness
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Completed Zombies 5K W1D3 last night in the near-dark of my rural hood. OMG, am I the only one who has done this? The lady in my ear says, "Ok, there is one zom behind you, but he's moving slow." And I TURN AROUND AND LOOK. hahaha. What a dork.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
  • maggieklynn
    maggieklynn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »

I second this!! thanks, you two!
    Tomorrow I'll try again and today I will foam roll the heck out of my legs to prepare
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    Completed Zombies 5K W1D3 last night in the near-dark of my rural hood. OMG, am I the only one who has done this? The lady in my ear says, "Ok, there is one zom behind you, but he's moving slow." And I TURN AROUND AND LOOK. hahaha. What a dork.

I haven't done that, but one time I was using the full Zombies, Run! game on a trail. I don't remember if I had chases on or not, but I startled some wildlife in the scrub next to the trail. They took off and so did I!!! I think I would have beaten Usain Bolt over that 50m stretch before my brain kicked back into gear.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    I haven't done that, but one time I was using the full Zombies, Run! game on a trail. I don't remember if I had chases on or not, but I startled some wildlife in the scrub next to the trail. They took off and so did I!!! I think I would have beaten Usain Bolt over that 50m stretch before my brain kicked back into gear.

Yes, I can see how this could easily happen! I run out in the woods too, and I haven't braved a Zombie chase out there yet. I'm chicken. :)
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello. My first post. I did w2d1 today. Trying not to read many posts from later in the program as I'm trying not to think about what is ahead, other than my next "run".
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @sarahredhaira good plan. i did the same. never looked ahead, never even looked at the breakdown, just looked at the total i needed.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    W8d1 done! I'm still slow as molasses, but I'm doing it! :D
  • Six5
    Six5 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks @MimiOfTheLusciousLawn and @moyer566

Finished W6D3 today after a 7 day break from running. I can't believe I ran for 22 minutes straight!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Six5 wrote: »
    Finished W6D3 today after a 7 day break from running. I can't believe I ran for 22 minutes straight!
    Sometimes an extra rest/break day can do wonders for recovery-any one who trains for a marathon or Ultra distances will do Tapers weeks to let the body heal/recover and you come out stroger-refreshed.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQctdJDwZkdduF73MoGbZV181G3zxUv_JH3uxX6WxEy5bTf23kc5A
  • Six5
    Options
    I wish I could say I planned it that way but I was just overwhelmed with work and life and feeling lazy/unmotivated. Back on the wagon now. First 5K in just under 2 weeks! I'm nervous but yesterday gave me a little boost of confidence. Going to start week 7 tomorrow. :#
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    W8d2 done!
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    W2D3 completed this morning.
  • Six5
    Options
    W7D1! I was so ready to let my brain win and give up but I heard the lovely "one minute left" and I pushed through. Holy crap. I just ran 25 minutes straight! :p
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Six5 wrote: »
    W7D1! I was so ready to let my brain win and give up but I heard the lovely "one minute left" and I pushed through. Holy crap. I just ran 25 minutes straight! :p

Woohoo!! Isn't it awesomely amazing?!!