Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Quick (well, relatively speaking) 5k on the treadmill tonight! 33 min :)

that is awesome. I think that's faster than mine

One more 5k on the treadmill tonight. 32 min! :)
  • Aine8046
    edited December 2015
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »
    Despite a slower pace week 7 is now in the books. Bring on week 8.

Awesome! Just a little bit more left - keep pushing! :)
  • Aine8046
    edited December 2015
    Options

Well, we should compete with no one but ourselves, right? :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

bah, I must beat everyone! :wink:
    keep it up
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well I guess I'm not dedicated enough as I took an extra rest day to avoid running in the rain but week 8 day 1 completed today. Starting to wonder if anyone who really starts at the "couch" can do a 30 minute 5k in 30 minutes by the end of week 9. I won't hit that goal but I'll definitely hit the 30 minutes without stopping goal.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I've heard a few people do but I think the goal is really the time.

I think there is a program that goes by distance but i don't know what it is
  • mack427
    mack427 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    On the last run, which is the free run or walk not sure what I am going to do. Glad I finished the program. Starting again after the holidays looking for better time.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I have friends who have been athlete's all there lives' and they take 33 min for a 5km. So don't worry about what your time is compared to other people, as @Aine8046 said
    . In my local Running Club and community I always thought of myself as one of the Local Plodders. In September I went to a 10 km Race out of Town and ended up in 23rd place out of 108 runners, 2nd in my Age Group. That's when I realized that I was better than I gave myself credit for due to my limited point of reference.
    When the results were posted I started looking for my time on the last page and scanned up. I got to the first page and thought my timing chip had failed and did not register giving me a DNF. But 3 places from the bottom of the page was my name. :) So everyone Just Get out there, run and have fun. Search your local community and Join the Local Running Club, Its full of supportive runners who would be glad to have you join them. All it will cost you to join is a little time and the odd cup of post run coffee with some new friends.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    In September I went to a 10 km Race out of Town and ended up in 23rd place out of 108 runners, 2nd in my Age Group. That's when I realized that I was better than I gave myself credit for due to my limited point of reference.

Awesome! :) I was thinking about joining a local running club, but I am afraid I am too introvert for that... :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    4.5 miles yesterday, btw...
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :) I was thinking about joining a local running club, but I am afraid I am too introvert for that... :)

If you can Dance with the Cows you can Join a Local Club.
    Most runners think they introvert, that's why they run so join the club.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    nice job, guys
  • brant710
    Options
    Week 8 day 2 done this morning. I'm hoping that once I complete week 9 day 3 I can start working on getting faster. Right now I'm just proud of finishing the time regardless of the speed.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I'm still slow. I found speed came with distance. as i could run longer, i could go faster for shorter distances
  • citylife624
    citylife624 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Newbie to the group here. Am I nuts because I don't like running outside? I prefer the treadmill. FYI - I'm on week 5 for the second time because after I did that dreaded 20 minute run, I woke up the next day with the flu. Lost three weeks and when I felt better, started back on week four. Anyone else prefer the treadmill, or am I just cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs?
  • mbaker566
    Options
    it's all personal preference. I have rolling hills in my neighborhoods so it makes it "interesting" but if a treadmill is your think, rock it :)
  • brant710
    Options
    Week 8 in the books. I'm going to keep going after week 9 mostly because I like running and also because I want to actually finish the 5k distance. I wonder how many couch to 5kers finish the 5k in 30 minutes at the end of the 9th week
  • mbaker566
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »
    Week 8 in the books. I'm going to keep going after week 9 mostly because I like running and also because I want to actually finish the 5k distance. I wonder how many couch to 5kers finish the 5k in 30 minutes at the end of the 9th week

not many. most of the programs are based off time not distance. i believe there is 1 or 2 distance based programs
  • brant710
    Options
    Week 9 day 1 down. Ran 2.75 miles so I'm confident with a little work I can do a 30 minute 5k.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Nicely done