Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I did it! I just ran 3.45 miles (5.5k) in 45 mins non-stop! I can't actually believe it, i've gone from running 6 min intervals to running the whole thing. I think it was good that the coach at Running Club didn't tell us until literally just before we started that we would be running the entire route, he said this is done on purpose so as not to freak anyone out beforehand, and when he said it I just thought 'no chance buddy, i'll give it my best shot, but no way i'll manage that far in one hit'.....but I did. Once I got going I just kept going, and going. Slowly, but I didn't stop once, not even up the big hills. 56 mins in total for a complete distance of 4.08 miles (includes warm up, warm down). I'm over the moon, I never thought 6 weeks ago i'd be at this point by now. So happy!

Good luck everyone, you CAN do this. :smiley:
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    @CariTJR : Congratulations!

I look forward to when I can do that. I'm dreading just running 1/2 mile uphill tomorrow (W4D1), especially since it's supposed to be super windy. But, if I don't go out and run in the wind, snow that is forecast for later in the week will really mess up my running schedule. And, I already know that if I skip too many days, it really sets me back.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Good work, @CariTJR ! I can't even imagine running that far without something chasing me!
    Week 7 day 1 done, 25 mins, same sort of pace as previous weeks too so I'm quite pleased as I thought I might be slower. The first five minutes or so are definitely the worst, I have started experiencing a mild side stitch at the beginning recently, but as I approach about half way it goes and I start to feel pretty good! I'm sure I read somewhere that it's always hardest right at the beginning of each run.

Well done everyone, if I can make it this far anyone can!

Ditto for me, Amber! W7D1... CHECK! I was amazed at how strong I felt throughout the whole run! My breathing has been great the last two runs, too. I could've probably kept going today for a while longer. I think repeating W6 was a good idea, just gave me that extra time to build up the strength I needed. Good music has been a HUGE plus, too!

Looks like we get to repeat it again in a few days, too. Should be fun! We are getting close...!

Keep on keeping on, everyone!
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I bailed today. I knew it was going to be windy, but I forgot to notice that it was going to be a lot colder today as well. I can run outside if it is windy as long as it's sunny and not too cold. I can run if it's chilly as long as it's sunny and calm. I can run if it's cloudy as long as it's not too cold and calm. But, I today it was sunny but cold AND windy. I went for a informal run on the treadmill instead. Looking at the forecast, I probably won't be able to run outside again for a few days, so I think I'll probably repeat week 3 when I get back to it, rather than progressing to week 4.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options

Aine, I'm changing your name to The Machine, because you just keeping knocking these runs out one after another! Very nicely done!

Keep on keeping on everyone! One foot in front of the other...

Thanks! I have my bad days and some of my runs were very slow. I did W8D1 today though, 2.8 miles in 30 min! :) Very excited! You guys are almost done too - awesome result! Remember, you did not believe you'll do it this time? ;)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Did W3D3 today. A little slower than day 2 for some reason.

I just peeked ahead at week 4. Yikes! It really increases the run distances! I know I did this before - just timed and on the treadmill - but seeing "run 1/2 mile" intimidates me, especially knowing a bunch of that first 1/2 mile will be uphill, but I believe I can do it.

You rock - keep pushing! You will not notice how you'll graduate! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

W5D3 done--the dreaded 20 minute run, finished! For the first 2 minutes I was convinced I wouldn't be able to do it, but I think it was all mental since the time actually seemed to fly by. I was tired, it was weirdly hard to take a full breath (and I'm going about as slow as I possibly can), and my knee was weirdly stiff, but I got through it pretty painlessly. Very pleased! :blush:
    I remember the feeling, isn't it awesome? :) Congrats, this is a big step! You are almost there!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    Did W3D3 today. A little slower than day 2 for some reason.

I just peeked ahead at week 4. Yikes! It really increases the run distances! I know I did this before - just timed and on the treadmill - but seeing "run 1/2 mile" intimidates me, especially knowing a bunch of that first 1/2 mile will be uphill, but I believe I can do it.

You'll do great! I'm jealous; I'm way too slow to do it by distance (my current attachment to the treadmill aside).

W5D3 done--the dreaded 20 minute run, finished! For the first 2 minutes I was convinced I wouldn't be able to do it, but I think it was all mental since the time actually seemed to fly by. I was tired, it was weirdly hard to take a full breath (and I'm going about as slow as I possibly can), and my knee was weirdly stiff, but I got through it pretty painlessly. Very pleased! :blush:

Does anyone know why week 6 takes a step back for the first 2 days? There's not another solid run until W6D3. I feel like I'd rather do the D3 22 minute run for all 3 days than backpedal. I'll stick to the plan, though.

I wondered that, too, but I figured it was to get your body used to the longer runs incrementally. Kind of like when you train for a marathon, you build up to a long run, then run shorter distances and then build back up again to a long run (or so I've heard!).

Week 6 was a toughy, but Week 7 is like you describe: start off with a long run. Yikes! I'll be tripping on THAT one tomorrow morning...!

I also think this is kinda taper thing - to give your body some rest and then push again!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 7 day 1 done, 25 mins, same sort of pace as previous weeks too so I'm quite pleased as I thought I might be slower. The first five minutes or so are definitely the worst, I have started experiencing a mild side stitch at the beginning recently, but as I approach about half way it goes and I start to feel pretty good! I'm sure I read somewhere that it's always hardest right at the beginning of each run.

You are doing great! Can you believe you'll be done with the program by the end of next week? :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    I did it! I just ran 3.45 miles (5.5k) in 45 mins non-stop! I can't actually believe it, i've gone from running 6 min intervals to running the whole thing. I think it was good that the coach at Running Club didn't tell us until literally just before we started that we would be running the entire route, he said this is done on purpose so as not to freak anyone out beforehand, and when he said it I just thought 'no chance buddy, i'll give it my best shot, but no way i'll manage that far in one hit'.....but I did. Once I got going I just kept going, and going. Slowly, but I didn't stop once, not even up the big hills. 56 mins in total for a complete distance of 4.08 miles (includes warm up, warm down). I'm over the moon, I never thought 6 weeks ago i'd be at this point by now. So happy!

Congrats big time! You are awesome! You did even more than a 5k! Will you continue running?
    PS I have a 5k race next weekend (March 26th) and I am kinda nervous :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W7D1... CHECK! I was amazed at how strong I felt throughout the whole run! My breathing has been great the last two runs, too. I could've probably kept going today for a while longer. I think repeating W6 was a good idea, just gave me that extra time to build up the strength I needed. Good music has been a HUGE plus, too!

Looks like we get to repeat it again in a few days, too. Should be fun! We are getting close...!

Agree on music or other things to keep you entertained! Keep pushing - you are almost there! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    I bailed today. I knew it was going to be windy, but I forgot to notice that it was going to be a lot colder today as well. I can run outside if it is windy as long as it's sunny and not too cold. I can run if it's chilly as long as it's sunny and calm. I can run if it's cloudy as long as it's not too cold and calm. But, I today it was sunny but cold AND windy. I went for a informal run on the treadmill instead. Looking at the forecast, I probably won't be able to run outside again for a few days, so I think I'll probably repeat week 3 when I get back to it, rather than progressing to week 4.

We all have real life, just do not postpone it too much! I You chose a treadmill instead of a couch - this is something! I am sure you'll do great as soon as weather is cooperating! You are getting there! :)
  • NancyN795
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »

We all have real life, just do not postpone it too much! I You chose a treadmill instead of a couch - this is something! I am sure you'll do great as soon as weather is cooperating! You are getting there! :)

I really want to succeed this year - I started it outside last year but gave up around week 5 (I also kept modifying it to avoid having to run uphill), then started over on the treadmill and finished but wasn't actually running a 5K at the end. So, I won't postpone long. I may be able to run outside on Saturday (depends on how much snow we get on Friday) and if not, things look good after that. I knew I was risking weather issues by starting in February, but figured I could work around them. (It took real willpower to get on the treadmill today. I would have rather done Zumba or made do with a short walk, but I felt like I should remind my body that it was a running day.)
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Congrats big time! You are awesome! You did even more than a 5k! Will you continue running?

You'll do great! Let us know how it goes! :smiley:

Sister ran W6D1 today and had stitches on both sides, but got through it. I'm running it tomorrow, no time today unless I wanted to do it with a full stomach; no thanks! I keep seeing little bits of improvement in other areas though, which is encouraging! Little things like being able to run to catch up with someone or running up a ramp in the parking garage and not getting winded at all. :blush:
  • xLyric
    Options

I really want to succeed this year - I started it outside last year but gave up around week 5 (I also kept modifying it to avoid having to run uphill), then started over on the treadmill and finished but wasn't actually running a 5K at the end. So, I won't postpone long. I may be able to run outside on Saturday (depends on how much snow we get on Friday) and if not, things look good after that. I knew I was risking weather issues by starting in February, but figured I could work around them. (It took real willpower to get on the treadmill today. I would have rather done Zumba or made do with a short walk, but I felt like I should remind my body that it was a running day.)

I admire your determination! I wish it would snow here! We barely got any this year and we're pretty sure winter's over for us. :cry:
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thank you. Oh yes, I've joined a local Running Club and have been doing their beginner programme once a week, and going out twice more on my own. I intend to keep at it and try and improve my 5K time. You'll do great honestly, I never thought in a million years i'd be running a 5k this quickly, i've gone from doing 6 min intervals (my run on Saturday) to an entire 5k (my run on Monday night!) and i'm not fit at all, I still have 30lb to lose, so it's not like i'm in peak condition. Believe me, if I can do it, you certainly can! Mind over matter!
  • xLyric
    Options

Thank you. Oh yes, I've joined a local Running Club and have been doing their beginner programme once a week, and going out twice more on my own. I intend to keep at it and try and improve my 5K time. You'll do great honestly, I never thought in a million years i'd be running a 5k this quickly, i've gone from doing 6 min intervals (my run on Saturday) to an entire 5k (my run on Monday night!) and i'm not fit at all, I still have 30lb to lose, so it's not like i'm in peak condition. Believe me, if I can do it, you certainly can! Mind over matter!

That's fantastic, way to go!
  • xLyric
    Options
    W6D1 done. Super easy! One more day until just solid runs and I can't wait!
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options

You are doing great! Can you believe you'll be done with the program by the end of next week? :)

Thanks! :) I will actually have another week on top as the program I am doing is 9 weeks long (28 mins in week 8 and 30 mins in week 9), but still, the end is in sight, woohoo! I can't wait to be able to say I can run for 30 minutes non-stop! :)

Good work, @CariTJR ! I can't even imagine running that far without something chasing me!

Ditto for me, Amber! W7D1... CHECK! I was amazed at how strong I felt throughout the whole run! My breathing has been great the last two runs, too. I could've probably kept going today for a while longer. I think repeating W6 was a good idea, just gave me that extra time to build up the strength I needed. Good music has been a HUGE plus, too!

Well done! I have to say I found W7D2 harder, although when I finished and looked at my Fitbit it said that my pace was faster, and the wind was quite strong in my face when I was running back, so I am hoping it was a combination of wind resistance and slightly faster speed making it harder! I still made it to the end anyway, now looking forward to W7D3!

I think you're right, repeating week 6 was definitely good for me too. And the music thing I totally agree with, it really helps to zone out and lose yourself in the music.

Keep it up everyone, it's amazing what everyone has and will continue to achieve!

• Aine8046
    Options
    W8d2 is done! 2.6 miles in 30 min!