Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    njaalla wrote: »
    Hey! Newbie here, started with W1D1 the day before yesterday, going for the next "run" tomorrow. I just wondered how do you keep track of the time? I had my smartphone in my pocket, but the sound it made whenever a turn was over was soo silent that I ended up running more than 60 seconds most of the time. Couldn't feel the vibration either. I adjusted the sound to the highest volume, didn't help. I also turned the voice on, but it wasn't much louder.

I guess it works better with headphones on?
    I keep one earphone in just for that.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group. I did the nightmare w5r3 today and I'm beyond pleased I managed the 20 min run that sent chills through me thinking about it.
    Looking forward to week 6 now
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    njaalla wrote: »
    Hey! Newbie here, started with W1D1 the day before yesterday, going for the next "run" tomorrow. I just wondered how do you keep track of the time? I had my smartphone in my pocket, but the sound it made whenever a turn was over was soo silent that I ended up running more than 60 seconds most of the time. Couldn't feel the vibration either. I adjusted the sound to the highest volume, didn't help. I also turned the voice on, but it wasn't much louder.

I guess it works better with headphones on?

When I did it without headphones in I just held the phone as I went. I use headphones all of the time now, though if I was outside instead of on a treadmill (where I can set it on the display) I'd probably still have to hold it because my pants don't have pockets for some reason. It might be worth it to invest in an arm band?

dollydiva2 wrote: »
    Just joined the group. I did the nightmare w5r3 today and I'm beyond pleased I managed the 20 min run that sent chills through me thinking about it.

I'm so excited for that run, but I'm terrified I won't be able to do it. Way to go!

cwolfgram wrote: »
    Finished Week 3 yesterday! My 5-year-old came out to run with me. I ran slower than usual since he was with me, and I didn't have problems with my breathing. (Sinus infection is gone, thank goodness.) I think I'm going to slow down all my runs until my breathing is better.

Since my son is 5, we played run/walk tag while training. He doesn't have the focus to run for three minutes, but playing tag, he could. We had fun.

That sounds like a blast!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Did W2D3 this morning, before the weather got too unpleasant (it was windy, but not frigid and not raining). Didn't improve my speed over the last time, but that's okay.

@njaalla : In my opinion, a bluetooth headset is a must. That way, I can tuck my phone somewhere safe and still hear the prompts (and listen to a podcast or music while I run as well).
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done again, looking forward D2 on Wednesday.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Week 6 finished! Two more to graduate! :)

Well done! :)

W7d1 done! 25 min. Too much food and too little sleep yesterday so felt tired and sleepy today. Was even thinking about skipping the run, but finally decided to do it. Had to slow down a lot, but finished it!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W6D1 done again, looking forward D2 on Wednesday.

Awesome! How was it?
  • Aine8046
    Options
    dollydiva2 wrote: »

Congrats! Keep pushing! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Finished Week 3 yesterday! My 5-year-old came out to run with me. I ran slower than usual since he was with me, and I didn't have problems with my breathing. (Sinus infection is gone, thank goodness.) I think I'm going to slow down all my runs until my breathing is better.

Since my son is 5, we played run/walk tag while training. He doesn't have the focus to run for three minutes, but playing tag, he could. We had fun.

Nice!
  • njaalla
    njaalla Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!
    It's quite cold and rainy here, so I used a rainjacket and had my phone in the pocket. Didn't want to hold it in my hand all the time as I was scared I might drop it. Maybe I'll try with one earphone in today. I'm running together with my bf, so I don't want to have both earphones in, otherwise I'd probably listen to music anyway.
    @NancyN795: A bluetooth headset sounds like a very good idea, I think I'll start looking for those. :)
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options

W7d1 done! 25 min. Too much food and too little sleep yesterday so felt tired and sleepy today. Was even thinking about skipping the run, but finally decided to do it. Had to slow down a lot, but finished it!

Wow! That is awesome, well done! I can't wait to be able to run for 25 minutes straight, even if I do go slow haha.

W6D1 (take 2) was ok, we went slower than usual to try and avoid my buddy hurting her side again, and I think going slower definitely helped her a bit as her side wasn't as sore at the end. I'm looking forward to D2 tomorrow now, as we didn't get to finish that last time.

I found it hard not going running for 5 days, I think I was frightened that I'd not be able to do it once I went again, but we had to skip the Saturday run as I was at a bridal shower weekend!
    I'm glad to be back on track now anyway :smile:

Week 7, wow, nearly at the end! I can't wait to be at that stage, it will definitely be a huge accomplishment. What do you plan to do when you have finished C25K?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    everyone here is doing so good

(when i finished c25k, i moved on b210k)
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D1 this morning. That was a rough one.

I slowed down my speed and kept my breathing under control. However, the second 5-minute run was tough. I kept telling myself I had already ran it once; I could do it again. I did. I finished it, but about 30 seconds before it ended, I started getting light-headed. Finished it, and walked it out. My beginning running book said to walk it out and not suddenly stop as that can cause blood pooling and fainting. About 2 minutes into the cool down walk, I felt better. Today was the first run where my body told me I need to stretch out afterwards.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    everyone here is doing so good

(when i finished c25k, i moved on b210k)

lapb46g9lsj3.gif
  • Aine8046
    Options

Wow! That is awesome, well done! I can't wait to be able to run for 25 minutes straight, even if I do go slow haha.

Thanks! You will be able to run for 25 min in few weeks! We all believe in you! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options

Week 7, wow, nearly at the end! I can't wait to be at that stage, it will definitely be a huge accomplishment. What do you plan to do when you have finished C25K?

I have a 5k race in three weeks and then will start preparing for a 10k race on June 4th! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Finished W4D1 this morning. That was a rough one.

I slowed down my speed and kept my breathing under control. However, the second 5-minute run was tough. I kept telling myself I had already ran it once; I could do it again. I did. I finished it, but about 30 seconds before it ended, I started getting light-headed. Finished it, and walked it out. My beginning running book said to walk it out and not suddenly stop as that can cause blood pooling and fainting. About 2 minutes into the cool down walk, I felt better. Today was the first run where my body told me I need to stretch out afterwards.

Awesome! Keep pushing - it will be easier every time! And stretch is VERY important!
  • aislinncrank
    aislinncrank Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just finished W8D1! I'm surprising myself with how strong I feel- before starting this I couldn't even run for a full minute- now I'm up to 28! I'm registered for my first 5K in June. Right now I'm running on the treadmill in my gym since I live in NYC and it's still rather chilly and the streets aren't the best place to train for me just yet... I ran down to the grocery store the other night (just 10 blocks, approx 0.5 miles) and holy cow it was so much harder than I thought! Does anyone have any tips on how to transition to outdoor running after training indoors?

Thanks!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Just finished W8D1! I'm surprising myself with how strong I feel- before starting this I couldn't even run for a full minute- now I'm up to 28! I'm registered for my first 5K in June. Right now I'm running on the treadmill in my gym since I live in NYC and it's still rather chilly and the streets aren't the best place to train for me just yet... I ran down to the grocery store the other night (just 10 blocks, approx 0.5 miles) and holy cow it was so much harder than I thought! Does anyone have any tips on how to transition to outdoor running after training indoors?

Thanks!

I just started over. For me, running outdoors is completely different than running on a treadmill. On the treadmill, I have much more control over my pace (and don't have to deal with hills or weather), but I don't feel like my stride is at all natural. Outdoors, I both walk and run faster than on the treadmill.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I don't have actual experience outside yet but I've been running using a 1% incline on the treadmill. I read on a few different places that it should help the transition. Once I'm done with the program I'm going to try a run outside and see if it feels significantly harder or if the incline actually helped.

W5D1 finished today. Nice and surprisingly easy! I was expecting to bomb since I got so little sleep last night, but it went really well.