Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    W6D1 done. Well done everyone! :)

Badda Bing, Badda BOOM! Nice work!

W6D2 in the books, but this was the first time I had any issue with finishing. On the second 10-minute stretch, I started to hit the wall with about 3:00 left. I kept pushing on, but with about :40 left my stomach started to feel... compromised. So I decided to back off a bit early instead of risking the option of having to clean off my treadmill. I feel kind of bad that this is the first time I haven't been able to do exactly what I needed to, but then I tell myself that it was only 40 seconds so don't be so dramatic.

Not sure if I'll try to repeat D2 or just go on to D3. I can't believe that 6 weeks ago when I started this and I was doing 60-second runs that I would be kicking myself for coming up short on a 10-minute segment, though. That's still amazeballs that I've been able to progress even that far!

If we are going to succeed at anything, we have to give ourselves permission to fail first. Nothing worth gaining is easy, and if it wasn't a struggle, everyone would do it, right?

Keep on keeping on, folks!
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Finished W3R2 today. Breathing was better than my last run, but still labored.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Keep forgetting to check in, as I said i'm not sure where I am in terms of the days and weeks, but at Running Club last night we basically ran 2.8 miles with only a few stops to heard everyone back together and check nobody had got lost (big difference between the fast ones and the slower ones). Other than that we just plodded along for most of the route. I'm definitely not ready to run a whole 5k just yet, but I am so pleased with my progress so far.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options

W6D2 in the books, but this was the first time I had any issue with finishing. On the second 10-minute stretch, I started to hit the wall with about 3:00 left. I kept pushing on, but with about :40 left my stomach started to feel... compromised. So I decided to back off a bit early instead of risking the option of having to clean off my treadmill. I feel kind of bad that this is the first time I haven't been able to do exactly what I needed to, but then I tell myself that it was only 40 seconds so don't be so dramatic.

Not sure if I'll try to repeat D2 or just go on to D3. I can't believe that 6 weeks ago when I started this and I was doing 60-second runs that I would be kicking myself for coming up short on a 10-minute segment, though. That's still amazeballs that I've been able to progress even that far!

If we are going to succeed at anything, we have to give ourselves permission to fail first. Nothing worth gaining is easy, and if it wasn't a struggle, everyone would do it, right?

Nice work! Don't beat yourself up for finishing a teeny tiny bit early, you did amazingly well going all that time! Like you say, a few short weeks ago we couldn't comprehend running for even a minute and a half at a time, let alone ten minutes!

You should be proud that you pushed yourself past the wall, you did a whole 2 mins 20 seconds more than your brain wanted you too, so that's what I'd call a success! I hope your stomach feels better now, I sympathise, I think running definitely does something to the digestive system!

Great work everyone! :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options

Same here! Three 8 min runs! :) Felt fast and easy :)
  • Aine8046
    Options

Awesome! Wow, you are running away from us, hard to keep up! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    cwolfgram wrote: »
    Finished W3R2 today. Breathing was better than my last run, but still labored.
    Great! It will get better, believe me! :)

• Aine8046
    Options
    CariTJR wrote: »
    Keep forgetting to check in, as I said i'm not sure where I am in terms of the days and weeks, but at Running Club last night we basically ran 2.8 miles with only a few stops to heard everyone back together and check nobody had got lost (big difference between the fast ones and the slower ones). Other than that we just plodded along for most of the route. I'm definitely not ready to run a whole 5k just yet, but I am so pleased with my progress so far.

Sounds like you are almost there! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Awesome! I am right behind you! :)
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    W6D3 today, and it was rougher than I expected. I had to walk for at least a couple of seconds almost every lap (at the local HS track).

Not sure if it was just because I was tired and running later then normal or if I was trying to go too fast. I may repeat this one before tacking on the extra minutes in week 7.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    sleepigrl wrote: »
    W6D3 today, and it was rougher than I expected. I had to walk for at least a couple of seconds almost every lap (at the local HS track).

Not sure if it was just because I was tired and running later then normal or if I was trying to go too fast. I may repeat this one before tacking on the extra minutes in week 7.

Bad runs happen, do not worry. Just carry on next time as if nothing ever happened...
  • debbiecousins10
    debbiecousins10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know I am late joining this thread (which I should have found earlier), but I wanted to share my excitement at having just completed week 7 run 2. I ran for 3.6 klms at quite a slow speed (8.6kph) but I don't care, I can run. I am 53 years old and reasonably fit as I walk most days, but never thought I could run for any length of time. I couldn't run as a child in school even though I was probably the skinniest in all my classes. It surely is a "mind over matter" thing (if you don't have any health issues). Joining this thread will keep me on track as my husband has had to stop due to a bad ankle (R) and bad knee (L), but he walks along behind me and we meet back at the car.

I am in Australia so we are lucky as we can run outside all year which is a bonus.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, we had a slight wobble tonight, my running buddy has a pulled muscle near her ribs and 15 minutes in tonight she just couldn't go on bless her heart. So I think we are going to re-do week 6 starting Monday. Nevermind, tonight we both found our breathing patterns were loads better than when we started, and our pace was a bit quicker too which was good! Especially as it was haling and raining on us haha.

Well done everybody, no matter how slow we go, or how many breaks we take - we are running circles around everyone sat at home on the couch! Go team! :)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Did W2D1 this afternoon, plus a longish walk (4 miles) this morning. Really, really windy again. I really think the wind makes it much harder, but the running uphill for the first half is tough, too. It's so much easier after I turn around to head home and it's mostly downhill. Oh well, I'd rather have to go uphill to start and have it be easier when I'm getting tired.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Oh dear, we had a slight wobble tonight, my running buddy has a pulled muscle near her ribs and 15 minutes in tonight she just couldn't go on bless her heart. So I think we are going to re-do week 6 starting Monday. Nevermind, tonight we both found our breathing patterns were loads better than when we started, and our pace was a bit quicker too which was good! Especially as it was haling and raining on us haha.

Well done everybody, no matter how slow we go, or how many breaks we take - we are running circles around everyone sat at home on the couch! Go team! :)

Do not worry, you are making great progress! I am sure your next run will go great! Repeating the weeks sometimes helps. Or you can try to continue as if nothing happened :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Did W2D1 this afternoon, plus a longish walk (4 miles) this morning. Really, really windy again. I really think the wind makes it much harder, but the running uphill for the first half is tough, too. It's so much easier after I turn around to head home and it's mostly downhill. Oh well, I'd rather have to go uphill to start and have it be easier when I'm getting tired.

Good job! :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Right there with you. W6D3 was this morning, and I almost made it through. Got 21 minutes into the 22 minute stretch and my stomach wasn't haven't it anymore, so I decided to walk the last minute instead of push on and risk yakking. I may have to start eating something first in the AM? Not sure how to handle this one, 2 times in a row I've petered out at the end...
    Aine8046 wrote: »

Bad runs happen, do not worry. Just carry on next time as if nothing ever happened...

Yep, they do! It's all about getting back out and going after it again and again that makes the difference!
    I know I am late joining this thread (which I should have found earlier), but I wanted to share my excitement at having just completed week 7 run 2. I ran for 3.6 klms at quite a slow speed (8.6kph) but I don't care, I can run. I am 53 years old and reasonably fit as I walk most days, but never thought I could run for any length of time. I couldn't run as a child in school even though I was probably the skinniest in all my classes. It surely is a "mind over matter" thing (if you don't have any health issues). Joining this thread will keep me on track as my husband has had to stop due to a bad ankle (R) and bad knee (L), but he walks along behind me and we meet back at the car.

I am in Australia so we are lucky as we can run outside all year which is a bonus.

Welcome! I joined late, too! Good job on your progress! Well done!

Slight wobbles are okay. Such is the stuff of life! I may re-do W6 myself jest because I had some small hiccups myself and don't have that confidence that I really finished, you know?
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Good job! Great thing about uphills? They usually come with a downhill!
  • HeidiThe9
    HeidiThe9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I just realized I had skipped a week!
    I THOUGHT I was on w2D2, but it looks like I just completed W2D3 last night. I had trouble completing W1D3, and meant to re-do it the next day, but I just checked and I guess I just advanced.
    Huh.
    Should I re-do a week? or just start week 3? The run last light was hard, but I completed it. I even was able to increase my speed the last 30 seconds to an almost sprint.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W6d2 is done! No more walking! :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    HeidiThe9 wrote: »
    Hmm, I just realized I had skipped a week!
    I THOUGHT I was on w2D2, but it looks like I just completed W2D3 last night. I had trouble completing W1D3, and meant to re-do it the next day, but I just checked and I guess I just advanced.
    Huh.
    Should I re-do a week? or just start week 3? The run last light was hard, but I completed it. I even was able to increase my speed the last 30 seconds to an almost sprint.

If you finished the week, move on to the next :)
    I would only recommend repeating a week if you didn't manage to do the workouts.