Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• MidnaK
    MidnaK Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So W5D3 was today. I didn't peek ahead after the last session, so I had no idea what was in store for me. That was probably a good thing.

"Run 20 minutes without stopping"

I'm sorry. Do what?

First thought: "Well, I was bound to get to a point where I'd need to repeat a day (or a week). Guess I found it." Fired up the treadmill and started my warm-up. Then I thought, "Maybe I'll just slow it down first when I cough up the first lung..." The timer dinged, and it was go time. Then I thought, "It's 20 minutes of your life, and think how awesome it will feel if you manage to do this."

Oh. My. Gawd. I did it!

I can't believe I did 20 minutes straight with no stopping and no slowing down. If you would've told me when I woke up this morning that'd I run 20 straight minutes I would've laughed at you, but... Here I am! I'm not 5K worthy yet, but that was a HUGE hurdle for me! Kind of feeling like I may actually be able to do this thing now!

Hope everyone else has a good day, too! Happy running!

I just found and joined this group and this post is just too perfect! I just did week 5 day 3 a few days ago and this was me exactly. Can I really be the same person who felt like dying and giving up when it came to the 3 and then 5 minute intervals a few short weeks ago?!? I am starting to feel like it's not long until I can call myself a "runner" and it's a truly awesome feeling. Congrats to you on your accomplishment!!

I moved on to week 6 day 1 yesterday and I found myself wanting to quit more than week 5 day 3 which was probably because of soreness. I am way too far in to quit now though so I just argue with myself in my head throughout my runs haha. Excited to have found this group to follow everyone's progress and share my own :smiley:
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    So W5D3 was today. I didn't peek ahead after the last session, so I had no idea what was in store for me. That was probably a good thing.

I'm sorry. Do what?

First thought: "Well, I was bound to get to a point where I'd need to repeat a day (or a week). Guess I found it." Fired up the treadmill and started my warm-up. Then I thought, "Maybe I'll just slow it down first when I cough up the first lung..." The timer dinged, and it was go time. Then I thought, "It's 20 minutes of your life, and think how awesome it will feel if you manage to do this."

Oh. My. Gawd. I did it!

I can't believe I did 20 minutes straight with no stopping and no slowing down. If you would've told me when I woke up this morning that'd I run 20 straight minutes I would've laughed at you, but... Here I am! I'm not 5K worthy yet, but that was a HUGE hurdle for me! Kind of feeling like I may actually be able to do this thing now!

LOL!
    Great job! I am falling behind. .. Finally made it to the gym tonight and just did W5D2! Hope to get to the 20 min run this Sunday!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    MidnaK wrote: »

I'm sorry. Do what?

Oh. My. Gawd. I did it!

I just found and joined this group and this post is just too perfect! I just did week 5 day 3 a few days ago and this was me exactly. Can I really be the same person who felt like dying and giving up when it came to the 3 and then 5 minute intervals a few short weeks ago?!? I am starting to feel like it's not long until I can call myself a "runner" and it's a truly awesome feeling. Congrats to you on your accomplishment!!

I moved on to week 6 day 1 yesterday and I found myself wanting to quit more than week 5 day 3 which was probably because of soreness. I am way too far in to quit now though so I just argue with myself in my head throughout my runs haha. Excited to have found this group to follow everyone's progress and share my own :smiley:

Welcome to the club! :)
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I'm sorry. Do what?

Oh. My. Gawd. I did it!

Wow! Well done! My 20 mins is tomorrow and I have to say I'm doubtful at the moment, I'm kind of thinking I'll be repeating this week if I can't do tomorrow...but your success and enthusiasm has made me more hopeful for my run tomorrow...fingers crossed, maybe I can do it? We'll see! Well done everybody! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Wow! Well done! My 20 mins is tomorrow and I have to say I'm doubtful at the moment, I'm kind of thinking I'll be repeating this week if I can't do tomorrow...but your success and enthusiasm has made me more hopeful for my run tomorrow...fingers crossed, maybe I can do it? We'll see! Well done everybody! :)

Same here! Your success is very encouraging! :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    MidnaK wrote: »

I'm sorry. Do what?

Oh. My. Gawd. I did it!

Welcome! Great job getting through to W6!
    Aine8046 wrote: »

I'm sorry. Do what?

Oh. My. Gawd. I did it!

LOL!
    Great job! I am falling behind. .. Finally made it to the gym tonight and just did W5D2! Hope to get to the 20 min run this Sunday!

Thanks! I fell a few days behind myself about 2 weeks ago, so it happens. Just keep on keeping on. No one is keeping score.

I'm sorry. Do what?

Oh. My. Gawd. I did it!

You'll do great! If I can do it I know you can. Slow but steady wins the race. Music helped a lot. Just focused on the song and rocked out a bit, a few of them really picked me up.

Good luck!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Went skiing today and got some blisters :(
    Not sure if this will afect my running tomorrow and how quickly they will heal...
  • amber_beaney
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am surprised to say that I managed the twenty minute run! I'm shocked and rather pleased :) it was hard, I felt like I could have walked faster than I was running lol, but I'm chuffed to have done it. Brian, thanks for the tip about music, I made sure I had some of my favourites on my playlist and I definitely think it helped!

Aine I'm sorry to hear that you have blisters, there might be something you can buy to put on them to protect while you run?

Good luck y'all and keep up the good work! :)

• Aine8046
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am surprised to say that I managed the twenty minute run! I'm shocked and rather pleased :) it was hard, I felt like I could have walked faster than I was running lol, but I'm chuffed to have done it. Brian, thanks for the tip about music, I made sure I had some of my favourites on my playlist and I definitely think it helped!

Aine I'm sorry to hear that you have blisters, there might be something you can buy to put on them to protect while you run?

Great! Well done! :) I hope to catch up with you guys tomorrow! :)
  • amylsmith1610
    amylsmith1610 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    W1D1 done! Any help/motivation/advice would be greatly appreciated! But feeling very motivated and proud that I've started :)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I "completed" the program back around Christmas on the treadmill, but wasn't actually running 5K. I was just running the prescribed time. I did keep at it, though, and once ran what the treadmill said was 5K, although I did stop a few times in the middle.

Now the weather has improved enough that I feel like I can start running outside without risking an extended period of not being able to go out and run, so on Thursday (2/25) I started at the beginning again out on the road, using rundouble as my app because it will use distance, not time, and by the end I'll actually be running 5K. So, I've done W1D1 and W1D2.

It's harder running uphill! Starting this also coincided with my husband and I lengthening our daily walk from a maximum of 4 miles (with a 400 foot elevation gain) to around 5 miles (about the same elevation gain, but with some additional ups and downs). I was stiff this morning! But, I've been there before and know I'll be fine.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    20 min run done! Feels awesome! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Ready for week 6!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W1D1 done! Any help/motivation/advice would be greatly appreciated! But feeling very motivated and proud that I've started :)
    Well done and welcome! :)
  • briscogun
    edited February 2016
    Options

See? I told you! Great job!

The music thing really helps, because today I chose a new (bad) playlist from my app and it was half-awful. It made those 5-8 minute runs on W6D1 rougher than it should've been, but got through it!
    Aine8046 wrote: »

Great! Well done! :) I hope to catch up with you guys tomorrow! :)

You mean, you will catch up with us tomorrow!

Welcome! Great job getting started! Advice? I guess maybe a few things for me:
    • Get good shoes. I went to a running store about 2 weeks ago and upgraded my tired old 6-7 year-old shoes. Made a world of difference.
    • Stretch before and after you run! Prevents injuries which slow you down or kill your progress all together.
    • Get some good upbeat music!
    • Take rest days! Rest is how you get stronger/better.
    • As daunting as it sounds, just trust that you can do this! Just go one day at a time, one step at a time. Slow and steady wins! Just keep moving!

As Yogi Berra said, 90% of this is hall mental. It amazing how many times my mind pushed my body. When I started W1D1, I could've never even thought about running for 20 minutes straight. But I did. And so will you!

Keep checking in and letting us know how you are doing!
  • Aine8046
    Options

The music thing really helps, because today I chose a new (bad) playlist from my app and it was half-awful. It made those 5-8 minute runs on W6D1 rougher than it should've been, but got through it!

Agreed on music! I make sure I have my phone charged and earphones with me before each run. Good job on W6D1!
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Did W3D1 on Saturday. I've been sick with a nasty sinus infection for the last week. W3D1 was much harder after that. I was still congested and had more difficulty with my breathing than usual. My legs were able to go 3 minutes without issue, just my breathing was a problem. Feeling a lot better now. Doing W3R2 tomorrow.

I found a new podcast to listen to while running. Team Shenanigans. The hosts used to hate running and now are running half marathons and marathons. It was really motivating.

As Yogi Berra said, 90% of this is hall mental. It amazing how many times my mind pushed my body.

Yes! That. When I was running Saturday, my breathing was horrible, and I thought about just walking the rest, but I told myself that I could finish it, and I would never forgive myself for quitting, especially if there were only a couple seconds left. I ran all the intervals.

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Did W1D3 today. Really, really windy. So, no long walk today. Instead, I'll do Zumba to strengthen my knees.
  • briscogun
    Options
    cwolfgram wrote: »
    Did W3D1 on Saturday. I've been sick with a nasty sinus infection for the last week. W3D1 was much harder after that. I was still congested and had more difficulty with my breathing than usual. My legs were able to go 3 minutes without issue, just my breathing was a problem. Feeling a lot better now. Doing W3R2 tomorrow.

I found a new podcast to listen to while running. Team Shenanigans. The hosts used to hate running and now are running half marathons and marathons. It was really motivating.

As Yogi Berra said, 90% of this is hall mental. It amazing how many times my mind pushed my body.

Yes! That. When I was running Saturday, my breathing was horrible, and I thought about just walking the rest, but I told myself that I could finish it, and I would never forgive myself for quitting, especially if there were only a couple seconds left. I ran all the intervals.

Great job! I really think that the majority of this is mental; pushing ourselves beyond what our brains and bodies are telling us we can do. Its amazing what we can do when we just do it!

I did the podcast thing once, but music seems to be a much bigger energizer for me. Hearing people talk is kind of... bleh. Not enough oomph and energy.

Keep on keeping on, people!
  • amber_beaney
    Options
    W6D1 done. Well done everyone! :)