Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• AlisonL664
    AlisonL664 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    W1D1 completed! I have always said I can't run, but have decided that it's time to challenge myself. My daughter is going on the journey with me which will be a huge help. I am feeling very pleased with myself with taking the first step. Currently aching a bit and not sure how I will run more than 1 minute at a time! :)
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    AlisonL664 wrote: »
    W1D1 completed! I have always said I can't run, but have decided that it's time to challenge myself. My daughter is going on the journey with me which will be a huge help. I am feeling very pleased with myself with taking the first step. Currently aching a bit and not sure how I will run more than 1 minute at a time! :)
    Welcome!
    You'll do just fine. When I first started the program almost 8 weeks ago I had same thoughts, I didn't think I could run for more than 1 minute at a time. And last Friday I ran my first full 3.1 mi :)
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Whew Just finished w1d2. Somehow messed up the music and program sync so was blessed with 9 min of extra walking!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    W8D3 done! Almost there! Something seemed off with my apps today, though - I think I may not have run a full 2.75 miles. It told me I was halfway a little before I expected, but the real evidence is that I was much, much faster than last time (more than a minute and a half). It was an okay run, with less than the usual willpower required (possibly because it was early, still cool, and I hadn't done any other exercise earlier in the day), but I didn't feel particularly fast. Plus, I got off to a bad start - messing with my phone during the warm up and I wasn't ready when it said to run.

(Looking at the map in RunDouble, there were definitely some GPS glitches in there.)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I was sick all last week - got a really bad cold, had a fever and could barely get out of bed... It was miserable, but it's over. I am back to running - did a slow 3 mi today!
    As summer is here I started morning runs again. W9 D1 done at 6 am :)
    ydab2w75d5s3.jpg
    iv5kx9i18kt8.jpg

m2.jpg 62.4K
    m1.jpg 93.2K
  • NancyN795
    Options
    W9D1 done. Sort of. I had to drop to a walk shortly before the 1/2 point. The hill is really getting steep at that point (probably about 10% - it gets steeper a bit later) and I just couldn't do it. However, it turns out that the GPS messed up and cut a couple of corners off, so I went further than RunDouble thought I had gone. (I really did think that the 1.5 mile point of the run should have been earlier - I walk that road almost every day and know the approximate distances.)

On Wednesday I'm going to go out first thing in the morning - before we've taken our 5 mile walk and before it gets warm out. Plus, I'm going to simplify what I have running on my phone, in hopes of getting the GPS to behave. I don't know what's going on with the GPS on my phone (or the apps using it). It used to work just fine but I've been having issues with it recently.

@Aine8046: Sorry to hear about your cold. I missed your pictures.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    W9D1 done. Sort of. I had to drop to a walk shortly before the 1/2 point. The hill is really getting steep at that point (probably about 10% - it gets steeper a bit later) and I just couldn't do it. However, it turns out that the GPS messed up and cut a couple of corners off, so I went further than RunDouble thought I had gone. (I really did think that the 1.5 mile point of the run should have been earlier - I walk that road almost every day and know the approximate distances.)

On Wednesday I'm going to go out first thing in the morning - before we've taken our 5 mile walk and before it gets warm out. Plus, I'm going to simplify what I have running on my phone, in hopes of getting the GPS to behave. I don't know what's going on with the GPS on my phone (or the apps using it). It used to work just fine but I've been having issues with it recently.

@Aine8046: Sorry to hear about your cold. I missed your pictures.

Keep it up, girl! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W8d1 finished. No problems, 2.6 miles run. Yay!
    Awesome! :)
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was having a concern over a steadily declining resting heart rate but now that I've got the ok to resume from my doctor I'm back! I'm doing this just twice a week though and restarted back a week from where I was....so Week 4/Day 1! A couple 5K's later this summer I'm hoping I'll be ready for or at least be able to 'mostly' run!
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    W4 D1 completed last night! Woooohooo!! Felt great! However, I found it hard to sleep restfully last night. Anyone find this? I find I run better in the evening than in the morning, but night time sleep stinks when I run in the evening!
  • Xxlune
    Xxlune Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't know what came over me, but last week, after I fell on my face doing W4D2, I decided to try something else. I put in a run for 30 minutes and decided to see how far I got. I ran, and I think I just skipped over the other 4 weeks of the program. I ran for 30 minutes, without stopping, pace was 7 min/km. Two days later I ran another 30 minutes, now with a pace of 6.11 min/km. I think.. I did it? But.. I didn't go by the book? I ran 4.79 km in 30 minutes. thats a mere 210 meters away from the goal 5K in 30 min

I am elated!! but very confused
  • NancyN795
    Options
    W9D2 done. A beautiful morning for a run. I really think I'm going to need to prioritize running first thing in the morning, before breakfast, if I'm going to keep running over the summer. I'm not sure how that's going to fit with our daily walks, which we also want to do early, before it gets hot.

elnm9ci16is8.jpg

The GPS didn't mess up this time, but I was thinking it had and dropped to a walk to check my phone just before it told me I was halfway. So, I walked for maybe 15 seconds or so - much less than on Monday. The hill is really steep through that section.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    W4 D1 completed last night! Woooohooo!! Felt great! However, I found it hard to sleep restfully last night. Anyone find this? I find I run better in the evening than in the morning, but night time sleep stinks when I run in the evening!

I've had trouble sleeping too, never thought about attributing it to running. I run late afternoon and am in bed by 10. I'm probably going to switch to mornings though as the heat and humidity here in Iowa are out of control already!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    W8D2 completed. One more day to go and then I graduate!

As is stands right now, I am able to run for 30 minutes (Monday I actually ran for 35), but not 3 full miles yet. SO that gives me something to work on after I finish c25k. Once I get comfortable running 3 miles, then I will think about b210k.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Week 4 is in the books! At the halfway point and I'll have to say it hasn't been too bad. I did struggle more on W4D2/3 than on W4D1, but I'm attributing that to running downtown on some fairly steep inclines vs the greenway trail that doesn't have much of an incline.

I looked ahead at week 5 and OMG...seems like such a big change, but I got to believe in myself and in the program, right?

Quick question for those who have done it... For weeks 1-3 my running days were Sun/Tu/Th, but week 4 I was going to have a conflict on Sun, so I ran on Sat... so, here I am mid-week and done with week 4. After seeing that week 5 will be a lot more challenging, wondering if I should do W5D1 twice (Fri and Sun) and then be back on my running routine again or wait until Sat and just do week 5 like I did 4. Thoughts?
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Attempted w5d2 today and had to walk during the second 8 minute segment. BUT! I think my phone froze on me during the first 8 minute segment and I didn't notice until I was at least 10 minutes in.

All in all, I think I ended up running for a grand total of 15 minutes, instead of the expected 16 minutes, so it's not awful.

Next run is supposed to be the 20 minute run, but after last night, I really don't think I'm ready for it. I may do w5d2 again before I try w5d3!
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Finished w7d3 yesterday. Wanted to hit two miles running so I ran a couple minutes into the cool down. My pace is still pretty slow, about a 13:30 minute mile. Then again. I'm on the treadmill and I'm not really messing with the speed much, just keeping it nice and easy. When I ran outdoors I was a little bit faster, around 12 minutes.

My pace is still a 15 minute mile, so you're flying compared to me! lol That said, my running segments are faster and I think it's the walking segments that slow my average down cause I'm lucky I'm not standing still, hands on my knees and panting during the 'walk' segments lol