Confess to, analyse & learn from your binge here

Options
Binges happen. Fact. They happen for a reason. Often we're not aware of what triggers them and we end up unconsciously falling into an accidental binge. If you're anything like me, you'll beat yourself up after a binge. Want another fact? Beating yourself up doesn't help. Do you know what does help? Learning from our binges. I'm hoping that in this thread we can confess to our binges when they happen, explore why they happened and how that made us feel. I'm not saying that this will stop anyone from the big B, but, perhaps we can learn from others about why we fall into these situations ourselves.

So here's the idea - after a binge, copy the lasts section of this initial post into a reply and fill in the gaps!

Start copying here.........

Ok, I admit it, I had a binge. 

Date of binge :

Time of binge :

Location of binge :

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) :

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : 

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ...........

Before I started to binge I was doing .........

Before I started to binge I was feeling ..........

During the binge I felt ......

After the binge I felt ......

From this binge, I have learned ........

I am pleased with myself for having confessed to my binge, I can now move on from it without beating myself up.

Replies

• Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'll start.

Date of binge : 25th April

Time of binge : 9pm

Location of binge : At home

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : sitting down, slumped and exhausted

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : Started with partner, then when I felt I couldn't eat any more in from of him, sat alone.

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 2500 during around 90 minutes.

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was all day! I'd been fighting the urge since getting up very early with our baby,

Before I started to binge I was looking after the children, cooking, cleaning, then waiting to have dinner with my other half, we ended up eating really late and I was starving.

Before I started to binge I was feeling so tired I could cry!

During the binge I felt comforted.

After the binge I felt full, guilty and still so tired that I could cry.

From this binge, I have learned that I confuse being tired with being hungry. With a small baby it is not always possible to get the sleep you need & I reach for food to keep myself awake.

I am pleased with myself for having confessed to my binge, I can now move on from it without beating myself up.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Bump because I am doing this for my next binge. (IF there is one)
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I love this!! I was thinking of starting to add something like this to my journal. I will join in too.
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Date of binge : April 25, 2013

Time of binge : 8:00 pm

Location of binge : My house

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : sitting

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : my daughter was with me

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 1500

The amount of time between realizing I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... several hours

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... Drinking

Before I started to binge I was feeling .......... Tired and stressed out

During the binge I felt ...... numb

After the binge I felt ...... disgusting

From this binge, I have learned ........ that I should not drink alcohol because it leads to binge eating, and that feeling frustrated and defeated makes me want to lose control

• Chocoholic55555
    Options

Date of binge : April 25, 2013

Time of binge : 8:00 pm

Location of binge : My house

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : my daughter was with me

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 1500

The amount of time between realizing I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... several hours

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... Drinking

Before I started to binge I was feeling .......... Tired and stressed out

During the binge I felt ...... numb

After the binge I felt ...... disgusting

From this binge, I have learned ........ that I should not drink alcohol because it leads to binge eating, and that feeling frustrated and defeated makes me want to lose control

Well done for 'fessing up! Hope you feel better about it for posting, I certainly did :smile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Date of binge : 4/26/13

Time of binge : Mid morning

Location of binge : um... home.

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : Walking, sitting

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : Alone.

Approximate calories consumed during binge : Total calories for the whole day: 3,100 +

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... Eh... I dunno.

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... Homework.

Before I started to binge I was feeling .......... Empty.

During the binge I felt ...... Guilt but after I dug myself into the hole I couldn't drag myself out, The day felt like it had be destroyed

After the binge I felt ......Shame. Isolation. Disgust. Pity. Overwhelmed. Hopeless.

From this binge, I have learned ........I should ban nutella.

Maybe.

<3
  • Chocoholic55555
    Options

Maybe.

<3

You did well to post this, forgive yourself & start afresh tomorrow :smile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

Maybe.

<3

You did well to post this, forgive yourself & start afresh tomorrow :smile:

Thank you... <33
  • Chocoholic55555
    Options
    Ok, I admit it, I had a binge. Again.

Date of binge : 26th April

Time of binge : 8pm

Location of binge : Home

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : sitting, slumped watching TV

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : alone

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 1400 during binge, over 3000 for whole day

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... it had been coming on all day.

Before I started to binge I had taken my son to a birthday party & had eaten unplanned items. I'd already

Before I started to binge I was feeling very tired & like I hadn't had a chance to sit & have 5 minutes to myself all day.

During the binge I felt comforted & like I was indulging in"me time".

After the binge I felt sick, guilty & disgusting.

From this binge, I have learned that food can be comforting but I MUST find another way.

• ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Ok, I admit it, I had a binge. Again.

Date of binge : 26th April

Time of binge : 8pm

Location of binge : Home

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : sitting, slumped watching TV

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : alone

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 1400 during binge, over 3000 for whole day

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... it had been coming on all day.

Before I started to binge I had taken my son to a birthday party & had eaten unplanned items. I'd already

Before I started to binge I was feeling very tired & like I hadn't had a chance to sit & have 5 minutes to myself all day.

During the binge I felt comforted & like I was indulging in"me time".

After the binge I felt sick, guilty & disgusting.

From this binge, I have learned that food can be comforting but I MUST find another way.

Sometimes the overwhelmed feeling (of not having time to yourself all day) can be solved by putting aside a couple minutes to meditate. Try slow breathing exercises. Put the cell away, take a 5 min walk.
    Technology (computers, ipods, phones) leave me feeling stressed if I'm on it too long. Sometimes I find I have more time than I realize.

<3 Glad you admitted the binge. Way to go in acknowledging it!

Also - I paraphrased some of this (only the list) but I posted a topic specifically for listing feelings/thoughts after a binge/overeating session. Hope it's okay if I stole the idea.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Options
    Ok, I admit it, I had a binge, for the third day in a row. This is just getting silly now.

Date of binge :27th April

Time of binge : All day

Location of binge : home

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : mostly sitting, slumped on the sofa, but also some stranding at cupboards/ fridge

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : alone / with my baby

Approximate calories consumed during binge day : 4600

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was not very long! I felt the urge when I woke up & began at breakfast.

Before I started to binge I woke up feeling like c%@p. for the prior 2 daysid been unbearably tired, but on thid day my glands were swollen & I was aching from head to toe.

Before I started to binge I was feeling tired & unwell.

During the binge I felt as though I deserved the food as I was unwell.

After the binge I felt bloated & disgusting.

From this binge, I have learned that I feel as though I am "allowed" to eat whatever's want when I'm ill.

I am pleased with myself for having confessed to my binge, I can now move on from it without beating myself up. This time I HAVE to mean this.
  • angelaengbrecht
    angelaengbrecht Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mom2izzyandallen
    mom2izzyandallen Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Date of binge : 4/27

Time of binge : all day

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : sitting, standing in kitchen

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : children home

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 4000

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... not much. was up most of the night before with a sick child. ate during the night and just went cray cray the next day, continuing the food fest

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... nothing

Before I started to binge I was feeling ..........exhausted

During the binge I felt ...... nothing

After the binge I felt ...... disgusted, hopeless

From this binge, I have learned ........ i already knew this but it proved true again. lack of sleep = huge trigger for me. When I'm tired...i crave sugary carby food.

I am pleased with myself for having confessed to my binge, I can now move on from it without beating myself up. Honestly...I don't feel this yet, but I know that it would be an important step toward normal eating. Frankly, I'm not even close to pleased with myself.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Options

Date of binge : 4/27

Time of binge : all day

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : sitting, standing in kitchen

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : children home

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 4000

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... not much. was up most of the night before with a sick child. ate during the night and just went cray cray the next day, continuing the food fest

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... nothing

Before I started to binge I was feeling ..........exhausted

During the binge I felt ...... nothing

After the binge I felt ...... disgusted, hopeless

From this binge, I have learned ........ i already knew this but it proved true again. lack of sleep = huge trigger for me. When I'm tired...i crave sugary carby food.

I am pleased with myself for having confessed to my binge, I can now move on from it without beating myself up. Honestly...I don't feel this yet, but I know that it would be an important step toward normal eating. Frankly, I'm not even close to pleased with myself.

I feel your pain! I'm most likely to bi ge when up with the children & sleep deprived too. Well done for posting, chin up :smile:
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Ok, I admit it, I had a binge. Damn! I did really well and felt great all day until the night!

Date of binge : APR 28

Time of binge : 930pm --> 1230pm

Location of binge : My home in bed.

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : Sitting in bed watching TV

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : always alone!

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 4000 (6500 for the day)

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... Not long at all! I was feeling happy and satisfied with my "cheat day" dinner and came home to eat my "pre-planned" treats. Even though I was already full, I felt obligated to eat them because they were already logged...

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... watching my favorite TV show before bed.

Before I started to binge I was feeling .......... Great! Thought I would have my little treats and enjoy them and be done!

During the binge I felt ...... shame, euphoria

After the binge I felt ...... disgusted, pissed off, regret, and full to being painful.

From this binge, I have learned ........ No more pre-logging "cheat day" treats. NO more eating alone in my room in front of the TV, even if I have calories left. I felt so great and on top of the world all during my "cheat day", full and happy after every meal. Then the night came and I was alone and that's when it started. I have learned something useful from this experience!

I am pleased with myself for having confessed to my binge, I can now move on from it without beating myself up.....I agree with this. I am learning what my triggers are and what to do to avoid days like these.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Options
    Ok, I admit it, I had a binge. Damn! I did really well and felt great all day until the night!

Date of binge : APR 28

Time of binge : 930pm --> 1230pm

Location of binge : My home in bed.

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : Sitting in bed watching TV

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : always alone!

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 4000 (6500 for the day)

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... Not long at all! I was feeling happy and satisfied with my "cheat day" dinner and came home to eat my "pre-planned" treats. Even though I was already full, I felt obligated to eat them because they were already logged...

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... watching my favorite TV show before bed.

Before I started to binge I was feeling .......... Great! Thought I would have my little treats and enjoy them and be done!

During the binge I felt ...... shame, euphoria

After the binge I felt ...... disgusted, pissed off, regret, and full to being painful.

From this binge, I have learned ........ No more pre-logging "cheat day" treats. NO more eating alone in my room in front of the TV, even if I have calories left. I felt so great and on top of the world all during my "cheat day", full and happy after every meal. Then the night came and I was alone and that's when it started. I have learned something useful from this experience!

I am pleased with myself for having confessed to my binge, I can now move on from it without beating myself up.....I agree with this. I am learning what my triggers are and what to do to avoid days like these.

Well done for confessing! :smile:
  • dladisheff
    Options

Date of binge : April 28, 2013

Time of binge : 5:30 pm

Location of binge : longhorn restaurant

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 3000

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ...4 hours........

Before I started to binge I was doing ......riding in a car, before that sitting at home thinking...

Before I started to binge I was feeling ..entitled because it was my birthday........

During the binge I felt ...... stupid

After the binge I felt ...... overstuffed and awful, guilty and stupid, defeated

From this binge, I have learned .....that I am entitled.....I am entitled to a healthy body and life and good healthy food that will nourish me not harm me...

• Chocoholic55555
    Options

Date of binge : April 28, 2013

Time of binge : 5:30 pm

Location of binge : longhorn restaurant

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 3000

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ...4 hours........

Before I started to binge I was doing ......riding in a car, before that sitting at home thinking...

Before I started to binge I was feeling ..entitled because it was my birthday........

During the binge I felt ...... stupid

After the binge I felt ...... overstuffed and awful, guilty and stupid, defeated

From this binge, I have learned .....that I am entitled.....I am entitled to a healthy body and life and good healthy food that will nourish me not harm me...

Well done for confessing & happy birthday!
  • mom2izzyandallen
    mom2izzyandallen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Wow this is a great thread. Thanks to those who shared!

Date of binge : April 30

Time of binge : at work from probably 11 am to 630pm (I tend to snack/eat/binge off and on all day long)

Location of binge : work, home

Body language during binge (e.g. Sitting, standing, slumped, tense) : Sitting, walking (ugh, not a good sign for me, I always at least sit!)

Company kept (alone, friends, family, partner etc) : co-workers

Approximate calories consumed during binge : 3450 for the day. I logged it out of curiosity. At least it wasn't 4000+ like it has been lately.

The amount of time between realising I wanted to binge and starting the binge was ........... hmm.....I was thinking about "healthy junk" in the morning. I was telling myself I could have something sweet but healthy like a protein bar or something (BIG binge food of mine) if I ate my planned food for the day. Looking back I see it started way early even though I didn't really realize it!

Before I started to binge I was doing ......... working

Before I started to binge I was feeling .......... Anxious, like I was physically withdrawing from sugar

During the binge I felt ...... satisfied from getting a "hit" or "fix", embarrassed, ashamed but not caring at the same time

After the binge I felt ...... Guilty, angry, afraid

From this binge, I have learned ........ I'm not sure. Bring extra snacks when I go to work at the other office? I know I woke up exhausted and I don't get enough sleep so it was interesting to see that mom2 said she has major sugar cravings when sleep deprived. I *know* I don't get enough sleep during the week....and I struggle the most during the week...hmmmmm.

Wow this was really good to write out! Thanks everyone!