CUT Progress After RESET-Tell us your ups/downs!

Options

Replies

• MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh lawwwwd! Is anyone else experiencing awful headaches after cutting calories? I am at 10% cut and almost at 2 weeks. My headaches are unbearable!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Woop woop for me, I'm so happy.  Today is the end of my first week @ cut after my accidental 100 day reset.  It coincides with day 1tom but I wanted to look as I had stayed off for 7 days which is unheard of...drum roll.....down 600 grams.  I haven't seen this number for probably 20 years. Oh and finally broke through my 19mnth plateau/maintain  Happy em2wl days to all!

Breaking through an almost 20 month plateau is just freaking awesome!!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone who is making progress on the cut! Hooray for water weight whooshes and broken plateaus! :drinker:

AFM, I am going to keep my progress real for you ladies. I felt bad earlier when I talked about some supposed setbacks in my cut and it sounded like a downer, but I am not going to avoid talking about the bad as well as the good, because some people may not be experiencing apparent, instantaneous fat melting. I don't think I am, but I am also currently without my Omron fat monitor (I lent it to someone and wish I had it back right now!).

Post-reset, I went from 2400 cals to approx. 2040 cals. I'm in week 4 of my cut. I thought I had lost 3 pounds by week one, and through some fluctuations I have ended up at ONE pound lost from the start of my cut. That's kind of disappointing, TBH. But as I look at the bigger picture, I see that the one pound lost is a REAL pound as opposed to water weight lost, because I've fluctuated at the lower end of that pound for two weeks. I am not as hugely bloated as I was during reset. My measurements had gone down 1/4 inch overall and haven't budged for two weeks, but at least they went down a little. I've also decided that I have to exercise harder to burn fat, and not expect the calorie deficit to do it all for me. The hollows in my cheeks are coming back, and overall I FEEL better. Finally, I told myself that 4 weeks into cut is probably not enough for my body; I will do it for 6 weeks before taking a week-long diet break.

I would like to think that there's internal body recomposition going on inside me, and that's what keeps driving me forward. That, plus trusting the process.
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh lawwwwd! Is anyone else experiencing awful headaches after cutting calories? I am at 10% cut and almost at 2 weeks. My headaches are unbearable!

I experienced headaches for the first few days of my cut. I wasn't above taking ibuprofen when they were excruciating. I figured my body was getting used to the calorie adjustment, as I had ZERO headaches during reset. I tried to drink tons of water since the blood vessels in my head were probably constricted and thus causing pain.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Me too! They didn't last for two weeks though, probably just the first couple of days. I hope your headaches let up soon!

Not much for me to report right now. Tomorrow's my weigh in. I'm not really expecting a loss this week - had a bad day that was pretty far over. But I just realized that I haven't done measurements in a few weeks so if I get super motivated tomorrow I may go ahead and measure and see if anything's changed there. Training wise I'm okay with this week. I'm still struggling with some fatigue that's making it hard for me to get out the door at five in the morning. I did order a supplement that I've been considering awhile - an herbal adaptogen (supports adrenal function). I feel like I'm still trying to figure out how to get my thyroid functioning at an optimal level for me. I think it's just going to take some time. I do notice a difference when I use my coconut oil though. And I did go for a run today despite the awful heat. So I'm on track with training for my half marathon at the end of September, so I do feel good about that.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

since starting my cut 5 weeks ago, I have lost nothing. Not one lb or one centimeter. It does not bother me anymore. Why? Because I finally figured out I am eating too much for my activity level.

I don`t do a lot of cardio in the hot summer. I am lifing (heavy as I can 30 min or so) and doing some hardcore HIIT, only 10 min though, 3x a week.

I have an omron calorie monitor that says I burn 2600 per day.

I did a cut at 2000. lost nothing. Week 5 I switched to 1660. Week 5 has brough the first downward trend ever in my 5 months on MFP. I guess my problem was I eat too much.

I thought I was in the camp where I wasn`t fueling my burn. Actually I wasn`t burning my fuel.

I got my low number from Women`s Health mag. "multiply your goal weight by 10-12 to find out how much to eat every day.

After reaching your goal multiply that number by 12-14 to find your maintenance cal.

So simple,and it didn`t make my head hurt. 1600 a day almost ensures I am eating below my BMR though with NEAT figured in. I eat back the exercise cal on workout days.

Does NEAT not matter at all when trying to lose weight?
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So here's a look at the big picture of my time thus far on MFP.
    4/6 - joined at 172 lb

by mid May 167 lb! (1200-1500 calories)

Started the reset

7/5 176lb! End of reset

Cut (TDEE - 10% = 1500 cal)
    wk 1 7/13 173 lb
    wk 2 7/20 173 lb
    wk 3 7/26 174 lb (7/28 170.4 must have been water)
    wk 4 8/4 174 lb

All measurements are still above where I was 4/6. Size 12 still fits the same as 4/6. Pictures look the exact same, too.

So, after all this time (4 months!) I am exactly where I started only I weigh 2 lb more!

In looking at the big picture and what has worked in the past, I plan to move to calorie cycling. My average will still be TDEE - 10% of 1500/day, but I will do something like 1100, 1300, 1600, 1400, 1700, 1400, 2000 and then repeat.

We will continue to work out on days we can and when I do workout I plan to eat back the calories. My working out is not to lose weight. It is to maintain an overall increased fitness level. At 49 this sounds resonable and fits our lifestyle at this time (which is very busy with long work days!).

If seeing my diary with the low calorie and then the higher calorie days bothers any of you I apologize in advance! In fact, I'm considering making my food diary private so I don't get negative feedback. Each of us has to do what works best given where we are in this process. I hope to have all your continued support, but if not that's okay too.

I hope all of you have a great week ahead!!!:heart:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Heya All.. Im back home from vacation and had a wonderful time!! We logged about 67,000 steps which I estimate to be about 35miles/56Km over the course of four days.. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and indulged in all the wonderfful Disney/Universalr treats. I felt ZERO guilt about it all too:)

Got home last night and stepped on the scale this morning and it shows about a 3-5 pound gain depending on whether I include the AF bloat that hit me the morning we left. I know it is all pretty much water weight and I will give it a few days before weighing in again. Im looking forward to getting back on routine and hitting the gym later this week and starting stage 4 of NROL. Im excited to see what happens over the next few weeks now:)

Hope you are all doing well and starting to see some progress!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Hi everybody! I just dropped in to share my story and hopefully offer motivation/encouragement for those who are thinking about doing or in the midst of doing a reset.

It's been a bit over 2 months since I joined MFP. I have faithfully logged in everyday since then and been amazed at the volume of information available and quantity of supportive people!

I found out about MFP through my fitness bootcamp instructor and owe her a great deal of thanks.
    When I joined MFP I was already down to 178 lbs from my original weight of 212.5. In order to achieve this I did some things right and some wrong. One of which included somehow making it down to 1100-1350 calories a day and not realizing that my BMR in fact is currently about 1550 and I was doing myself a disservice everyday. I am VERY active and my TDEE is roughly 2300-2700 depending on my workouts.

My trainer told me I should be eating about 1870 calories a day to LOSE weight. I thought that was ridiculous considering I wasn't losing weight eating 1300. I tried and couldn't eat that much, that is when I discovered the EM2WL videos/forums. This was the most sense anything had ever made to me so I began the DIFFICULT journey that a reset is.

During my reset I gained roughly 5 lbs and then stabilized and then actually lost a couple and maintained that for 3 weeks. I only did a 6 week reset eating at full TDEE for probably 3-4 weeks of that, but felt ready to cut again since I could then easily consume all my TDEE calories plus some.

So here comes the FUN part, ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?!!!!!

Before reset = 178 lbs
    During reset = 184 lbs
    End of reset = 180.5 lbs
    1st week of cut phase = no loss
    **drum roll please**
    End of 4th week of cut = 175.5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 100% faith in the metabolism reset. I am now eating around 1800 calories a day PLUS most exercise calories to LOSE weight which means upwards of 2200 calories and actually losing weight. I plan to keep eating myself thinner everyday :)

Thank you for reading my story, I wish everyone the best. I know it's hard but its worth it!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Hi everybody! I just dropped in to share my story and hopefully offer motivation/encouragement for those who are thinking about doing or in the midst of doing a reset.

It's been a bit over 2 months since I joined MFP. I have faithfully logged in everyday since then and been amazed at the volume of information available and quantity of supportive people!

I found out about MFP through my fitness bootcamp instructor and owe her a great deal of thanks.
    When I joined MFP I was already down to 178 lbs from my original weight of 212.5. In order to achieve this I did some things right and some wrong. One of which included somehow making it down to 1100-1350 calories a day and not realizing that my BMR in fact is currently about 1550 and I was doing myself a disservice everyday. I am VERY active and my TDEE is roughly 2300-2700 depending on my workouts.

My trainer told me I should be eating about 1870 calories a day to LOSE weight. I thought that was ridiculous considering I wasn't losing weight eating 1300. I tried and couldn't eat that much, that is when I discovered the EM2WL videos/forums. This was the most sense anything had ever made to me so I began the DIFFICULT journey that a reset is.

During my reset I gained roughly 5 lbs and then stabilized and then actually lost a couple and maintained that for 3 weeks. I only did a 6 week reset eating at full TDEE for probably 3-4 weeks of that, but felt ready to cut again since I could then easily consume all my TDEE calories plus some.

So here comes the FUN part, ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?!!!!!

Before reset = 178 lbs
    During reset = 184 lbs
    End of reset = 180.5 lbs
    1st week of cut phase = no loss
    **drum roll please**
    End of 4th week of cut = 175.5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 100% faith in the metabolism reset. I am now eating around 1800 calories a day PLUS most exercise calories to LOSE weight which means upwards of 2200 calories and actually losing weight. I plan to keep eating myself thinner everyday :)

Thank you for reading my story, I wish everyone the best. I know it's hard but its worth it!

That's very encouraging. Thank you for sharing! Woot!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Heya All.. Im back home from vacation and had a wonderful time!! We logged about 67,000 steps which I estimate to be about 35miles/56Km over the course of four days.. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and indulged in all the wonderfful Disney/Universalr treats. I felt ZERO guilt about it all too:)

Got home last night and stepped on the scale this morning and it shows about a 3-5 pound gain depending on whether I include the AF bloat that hit me the morning we left. I know it is all pretty much water weight and I will give it a few days before weighing in again. Im looking forward to getting back on routine and hitting the gym later this week and starting stage 4 of NROL. Im excited to see what happens over the next few weeks now:)

Hope you are all doing well and starting to see some progress!

Welcome back! I see such a healthy attitude in your posts. I love that you were able to enjoy yourself and not worry about food during your vacay. I also love that despite seeing a gain your logic kicked in and you were able to realize that it was likely water weight. Kudos to you!
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I'm starting week 3 of cut. I've seen decent progress. I've maintained my loss from week 1 (over a pound - I don't remember exactly how much). Week 2 there was no loss on weigh-in day. I did see a loss on Saturday (the day after weigh-in), but I'm not logging it until it's official. Also, I was back up slightly this morning. I have a feeling that's due to my horrid eating day yesterday. Not horrid in that I ate too much - horrid in that I ate too little. Funny how the EM2WL perspective causes me to worry more when I eat too little versus when I eat too much! Anyways, it was my long run day yesterday. I overslept, got out the door late, came home to two cranky children who were ready for mommy and struggled all day long to try to find time to eat. So I ended the day under BMR. Boo. :( So despite burning 1400 calories yesterday with my long run, my weight bounced up (very slightly) this morning. My plan is to eat as close to TDEE as possible today to remind my body that it's getting fed. Then I'll go back to my regular cut tomorrow. Right now I'm doing between 10 and 15% depending on how hungry I am, what I eat, etc...

So far so good anyways! How is everyone?
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Went to a wedding last night and didn't end up eating my cut, actually went over my TDEE by 100 calories. Not really worried though, I've been pretty bang on with my numbers lately and my cut has been going well.

I never did the reset but started eating more (1850) in April then bumped up to 2050 in June . For about two weeks in April I tried 1300 net then two weeks of 1600 net with no results.
    Early May: 151.8lbs
    Mid-Late May: 149
    June 2: 146.4
    June 11: 144.6
    July 22: 139.8

EM2WL is working for me, that's for sure. I haven't weighed in a couple weeks but will update when I do again (a couple more weeks, I like to do a month scaleless between weigh ins.) I do feel a bit icky and bloated from last night but not panicking. What I'm doing works, I've had great results and it's easy to pick myself back up again!
  • notRapunsel
    Options
    Soo...obviously I'm new to this thread. It's encouraging to see so many who have had or are having success after Reset. Hopefully I will be one of those people, haha! We'll see. Anything I need to know before I start cutting? Officially, my cut would start Wednesday, but we're leaving this week on vacation and I figured Sunday was a good starting place for the cut, plus my weight is pretty stable eating at TDEE finally. I have a few questions:

Is weightlifting essential to make EM2WL work? I don't have access to gym equipment or weights at all, so if I were to strength train, it would be totally body weight. I haven't done much body weight/strength exercise since starting EM2LW (just cardio), so do I have the disadvantage of not having tons of that calorie burning muscle that others have?

Also on that same note: do you eat back exercise calories in the cut? Or only if they below your BMR?

And do I stay on the cut forever, or every once in a while (like while plateauing) go back to TDEE for a week for a "mini reset"?

Thanks you guys! My EM2WL "family" is the best!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to jump in with my week two results!

I lost a half pound and half an inch around my hips. A tad from my waist. Thats actually pretty good considering its the end of TOM and I ate a tad over a few times. Especially last night, I got a litt le heavy handed with the peanut butter :blushing:

Still glad to see some results! So far EM2WL is definitely working and I still don't have the urge to binge which I love love love!

Heres to another week, can't wait to read everybody else's posts!
  • NewASH2013
    NewASH2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain this cut and reset stuff to me.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    First week of cut complete! Down 1.2 pounds! This is my first loss since February and I could not be happier!

It works!!!
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So I officially finished up my Week 1 of cut last Friday and didn't lose anything....BUT I didn't gain anything either :). I was way over on my sodium for the entire week so I am not sure that had something to do with it. But oddly enough - I feel "tighter"...so I am not sure what's going on....

My goals this week are to watch that sodium macro, drink PLENTY of water - I do great during the week but forget on the weekends and to move my offiicaly weigh-in day to Sunday which is my second rest day of the week...

I am so motivated by all of your successes!!!!

How's this week treating you all so far?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain this cut and reset stuff to me.

Hi there, there is a ton of information provided in the other stickied threads if you want to check those out.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I'm quietly stepping over here to join you all in the Cut.

I started yesterday after deciding on Sunday that my size is just too difficult and dangerous for me to carry around anymore.

I measured and gained 4+ inches all over; I am in constant pain and it is VERY difficult to move around~ how am I able to do NROL4W is amazing to me.

I am fearful of putting myself into a MS Flare situation because of the extra "inflammation" my body is dealing with~ I've basically been in a state of "remission" for over 7 years now and DO NOT want to go to "that place" EVER again!

SO, after a 6 wek Reset, I went to Cut-15% and we will see how it goes. I already feel like the decrease in calories is forcing me to make "better" food choices:blushing: ~ yep, I KNOW that my "fiesta" on the Reset may also be contributing to how I feel and what I'm experiencing.

But I wrote it all down, the good and the bad, and some more bad:tongue: and I feel like I really got a LOT out of my Reset experience especially the emotional side of it.

So here I am......admit it, you all missed the smiley posts:love::love: