Stage 2

Options

Replies

• natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I burned 595 calories doing workout B for the first time. I really like phase 2 so far.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Workout 1A done. The squat push press wasnt as hard as I thought, but I only did the 45lb barbell. Definitely plan on increasing things on 2A as nothing felt challenging other than planks and static lunges. But I really liked the workout! Gonna focus on form a lot during this stage.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ahhh someone convince me to get my *kitten* to the gym tomorrow and start Stage 2. For some reason I'm just stuck, I feel like I'm not going to know what to do!! I have now taken a week and 3 days off from Stage 1. Yikes!! Okay, I'm starting tomorrow!!!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Ahhh someone convince me to get my *kitten* to the gym tomorrow and start Stage 2. For some reason I'm just stuck, I feel like I'm not going to know what to do!! I have now taken a week and 3 days off from Stage 1. Yikes!! Okay, I'm starting tomorrow!!!

Stage 2 is fun once you get all the lifts down. I HATE going in there and looking like a reject but that's what comes with learning more stuff.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

It's not hard! Just go and take your time. If you liked Stage 1, you'll like Stage 2. Similar moves. Stay motivated, girl!
    ETA: I love your new profile pic!
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am starting Stage 2 tonight! I am feeling a little nervous, but also anxious to get it going. I feel off not lifting for a week.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Did burpees as my interval training! Definitely got my heart rate going!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am not at Stage 2 just yet but coming up on it soon!! Do you do interval training after each workout, A & B? Or is it only after B b/c it's on the bottom of the B workout sheet?

Thanks!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I edited my lat post once but it won't allow me to do it now...

So another question here...

In the book (I have the Kindle version) it has the Stage 2 workout w/*Choose One at the bottom. What am I choosing one of? I am not sure if mine is missing an extra * at the end of one of the excercises but only Lateral Flexion has an *. On Stage 3 there are two exercises that appear to both have an * so I assume I would do one or the other - not both...but what about Stage 2?

Thanks again. And, by the way sorry about all the questions. I am trying to get prepared a head of time b/c we go on vacation soon and I come back and start Stage 2.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lateral fexion-- choose 1
    Hip flexion-- choose 1

This doesn't mean choose either lateral flexion or hip flexion. It means choose one of the lateral flexion excersises (I think there's the 3 Hanna flexions) and then choose 1 of the hip flexion options. It should have the pages listed for the options you have. (Do Kindles have pages?)

And I only do the intervals after B, since A has the body-weight matrix.
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I thought the body-weight matrix was in stage 3 :s
    Did 2a today and it was a challenge, which is great as towards the end of stage 1 I was getting bored.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I finished with Stage 2 today. I really liked it and found it challenging. I'm excited for Stage 3 and ready to tackle the Body Weight Matrix.

Here are my numbers:

Front Squat/Push Press -- start with 45 lbs x 8 reps, end with 55 lbs x 10 reps
    Step-Up -- start with 15 lb dumbell x2, end with 20 lb dumbell x2 (also with better form and less cheating)
    Dumbell One-Point Row -- start with 15 lb dumbell x2, end with 20 lb dumbell x2 (better balance at the end and able to do 10 reps without falling over)
    Static Lunge Rear Foot Elevated -- start with 10 lb dumbell x2, end with 20 lb x2
    Push-Ups -- start with hands on step with 2 risers, end with regular push-ups on floor
    Plank -- start 60 sec. x2, end 60 sec. x2
    Cable Horizontal Wood Chop -- start 17.5 lbs, end 32.5 lbs.

Deadlift (didn't do widelift deadlift from box) -- start 95 lbs, end 115 lbs x10 reps & 125 lbs x 10 reps
    Bulgarian Split Squat -- start 25 lb weight plate, end 35 lb weight plate
    Underhand Lat Pulldown -- start 85, end 85 with better form
    Reverse Lunge from Box -- start 10 lb dumbells x2, end 25 lb dumbells x2
    Dumbell Prone Cuban Snatch -- start 5 lb dumbells x2, end 10 lb dumbells x2
    Swiss Ball Crunch -- start 10 lb plate on chest 25 reps, end 10 lb plate over head 27 reps
    Reverse Crunch -- start floor x10 reps, end floor x15 reps
    Lateral Flexion -- Hanna Lateral Flexion start 10 reps, end 15 reps
    Prone Cobra -- start 60 sec x2, end 90 sec x2

Intervals on Treadmill at 1% incline -- started at 3.7 walk, 5.4/5.6/5.4/6.0 run, ended at 3.7 walk, 6.0/6.0/6.0/6.2 run

I'm feeling much stronger, have much better endurance and much more confidence in the gym. I'm excited to move on to Stage 3, and am even looking forward to Stage 4 so I can make more improvements on my end results.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    Lateral fexion-- choose 1
    Hip flexion-- choose 1

This doesn't mean choose either lateral flexion or hip flexion. It means choose one of the lateral flexion excersises (I think there's the 3 Hanna flexions) and then choose 1 of the hip flexion options. It should have the pages listed for the options you have. (Do Kindles have pages?)

I am going to go back & search the actual pictures/explanations. I get very sidetracked w/ my Kindle (and no, they don't match pages like in the book :( I was a little confused but it makes sense if there are 3 options to described to choose from. Thanks again!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Back from vacation. Thinking I'm just going to re-start Stage 2 since I only got 1A and 1B finished. My diet was HORRIBLE while we were traveling and I am feeling the effects of it.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been stalking this thread as I will start stage 2 this weekend. I see some of you are frustrated with your push-ups and wanted to "show" you how my trainer conditined me to do full push-ups. She does not allow "girl" push-ups, instead she has us do negative push-ups to work towards doing full push-ups on the floor. Her husband is a former Marine and this is how they got the new recruits up to snuff. I hope this link comes through because I would butcher the explanation. By the end of her 4 week boot camp class I could do 10 push ups on the floor and when I started NROLFW I was able to start stage 1 with push ups on the floor for all of my reps. Good luck ladies.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=negative+push+ups&mid=AA4C3AEFDFD32757671CAA4C3AEFDFD32757671C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE2
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the link, jrreed. I personally have just started doing push-ups on the floor and doing them as far down and with as correct form as possible. Still not anywhere near perfect, but this is how I conditioned myself to do them as a teen.
    I decided to re-start Stage 2 yesterday. This way I will (hopefully) be able to do it consistently without any major breaks.
    The Squat Push Press kicks my butt! I feel so week doing those with just the bar. Oh, and the One Point Row makes my booty soooo sore. And planks.......ugh.

Have any of you decided to just do regular DLs instead of the DL from a box? I felt like it put too much strain on my back in spite of going down on weight. Maybe I need to work on form more.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I'm due to finish Stage 1 tomorrow - Woot!! In your opinion, How important is it that I wait a week before starting Stage 2? And if I do a rest week can I still do cardio a few days during that time? I'm excited to get to the next level :)

Edited: I meant to add that I had just come back from vacation which was a break of a week & two days from lifting, then I just had one last workout from A & B Stage 1. I guess that is more of what I am getting at. Do you think the that week off counted well enough as my break between Stages?

Thanks!!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I did my first stage 2 workout last night and really struggled with the front squat part, bar just seemed to be jarring my collar bone? I tried pushing my elbows forward but with the bar on my fingertips it was just pulling on my wrists? Did anyone have these problems?
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the author implies we could take our rest week another time, if at all. I also took mine before finishing stage 1 due to vacation. I ran and did yoga during that time and my body felt much better. Good luck!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Run, I think you'd be fine either way. If you feel like you need a week off, take it. I think Lou addresses the fact that we NEED breaks every so often, but the exact timing isn't quite as important as long as we get them.

Girlie, I don't really roll it onto my fingers as he says in the book. It puts too much strain on my wrists and makes the "press" movement choppy and unsteady. I tend to balance it in my palms and stick my elbows out. Maybe as we get stronger it will be easier to do it as he describes.

I have to admit that this week has been really off for me. I did 2A on Monday, but had the kids with me so I rushed through it and didn't feel like it was much of a workout. Tuesday I felt like quitting. I haven't lost any more weight and I wondered if maybe I should try something else. Tuesday evening I read an article entitled "8 Reasons Your Weight Training Results Suck". I realized that I wasn't pushing myself at all the last several workouts. Last night I did 2B and REALLY pushed myself. My DL from a box was 140lbs. I burned nearly 300 calories according to my HRM and I didn't get to do the HIIT (did it tonight). I felt so much better after I wore myself out. Lifting is awesome. I know some people say that they miss the "runners high" they get from cardio, but I definitely get a "lifting high".