Where are my fellow P90xers?

Options

Replies

• stephdg89
    Options
    It's okay if you have to modify guys. This is new to some of us, or if it has been awhile, you're not going to be able to get right on it. You have to work your way up, and all you need to worry about is doing your best! That's all you can do. Whether you're modifying the workouts or going at it full steam.

So true!

So, I just started a new (well, not new, but it's been 6 months since I've been on it) prescription med so I will be taking a few days break from hard workouts. The medicine makes me super groggy and in a fog, tired and light headed, and makes my heart race. It's usually just really bad the first week, so in a few days i should be able to start back up. It's for migraines. I'll still be watching what I eat, but the medicine also has a side effect of weight loss and reduced appetite so that aspect should be a bit easier. In fact, that's the reason why I'm even here, because I stopped it in Feb and gained weight, but will prob drop it all now that I'm back on it. I'd still like to be fit though!

What meds did they start you on? For Fibro and Migrain they put me on Elavil/Amptitryptaline and I gained all my weight off that and so fast!

I am on topamax. I actually have been for like 6 years, except when I was pregnant, and I went off in Feb to get pregnant again. I was right on the border of underweight too, so needed to gain a few lbs. I did get pregnant but had a miscarriage and now I don't want to get pregnant for another few years so I went back on. Lots of info for a simple question! lol

I was on Topamax for several years, it was a wonder drug for my migraines, then I needed a refill and it was winter and they wanted me to drive down because the doctor I normally saw wasn't t here anymore, so they wouldn't just give me a refill and it was way too far away about an hour since I moved and so I just completely went off them and *knock on wood* haven't had a migraine since.

That's awesome! Did you lose a lot of weight while on it, or gain a lot once getting off? I am on 200 mg a day, which is A LOT! I started back on it 2 weeks after having my daughter and lost all 60 of my pregnancy lbs plus an additional 10 lbs in like 9 months. but I gained 20 lbs in 5 months after quitting it. I'm curious to see if I'll lose a ton this time. (Sorry this isn't p90x related) On a p90x note, I hope to start back up today or tomorrow, so that I only took one day off (my yoga day).
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm actually surprised you didn't feel challenged. I have done Yoga before, but YogaX is one of the hardest Yoga's I've ever done, I'm completely challenged and I burn at least 500 calories everytime I do it.

I am surprised to hear that you burn at that rate. My burn rate was the same as when I am not working out- only 81 net calories for the hour and half (212 total). I really gave it my all and tried to do it exactly the way that they were in the video. Sometimes I would notice that my foot was not turned the right way and adjusted. But by the end I had not really sweated or anything, did not even need a shower. What I found was that during the moving portion of the yoga my heart rate went up a bit, but once that was done I became really relaxed and my heart rate actually went below my normal resting heart rate. I will keep it up anyways cause I did like being that relaxed. But in the future I will run before the yoga to get a burn in.

Not to be critical, but if you aren't sweating, you aren't doing it right. You seem to be in pretty good shape, but lets admit it, none of us here are as in shape as the folks on the video, and they sweat a ton. I would be conscious of your form next time, and make sure you have your legs bent all the way, other parts extended all the way, etc... I do this the entire workout, because, for me, this is pretty hard, and its long... I don't want to feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my life afterwards...

I do have a question for you... you said you burned 81 net calories and 212 total... is this something your heart rate monitor tells you? or something you figure out on your own afterwards? I've often wondered when I am doing stuff that I log as exercise that takes a while to do, how far it is off because some of those calories I would have burned anyways doing nothing, right? Is that what you mean by net vs total? And how did you figure it out? Thanks!
    [/quote]

To be honest I am starting to think I was not doing it right. Everyone is burning a lot more calories than me at yoga. I did not expect a huge burn doing it, just more than what I did. I did however, just finish Jillian Micheals Body Revolution and she did yoga poses like tree, but had you doing bicep curls in tree or shoulder presses etc. So just holding the pose wasn't enough. Same with the warrior poses, she had you holding weights and lifting in them. So this time, holding the pose was much easier for me. I honestly did not even know they were yoga poses when I did Body Rev. That being said I was not perfect at yoga, I shook a few times, I fell out of balance a few times, I can improve.

I will focus on it next time and make sure I am doing it all right. I did feel benefits from doing it and will continue to do it.

As for heart rate, I wear a heart rate monitor when I do all exercise. My total heart rate is what the monitor says I burn for the whole time. My net heart rate is different. Every hour I burn 89 calories by existing. Mfp has those existing calories built into my daily calorie allowance. When I add my exercise mfp does not subtract the 89 calories an hour which means they are being double counted. So if I work out for 2 hours then 178 calories are being counted twice. So before I add my calories into mfp I subtract those existing calories from the total burn.
  • mstclair03
    mstclair03 Posts: 151
    Options
    Starting today! Bring it!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Nope unfortunately I never lost weight on Topomax, but I'm PCOS so it might have been due to that. I was on 200 mg as well. Best stuff on earth for Migraines.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have now done all the workouts in the first week. I must say p90x pushes me out of my comfort zone and I like that, well I don't like it too. Now that I have written down all the reps and weights I think I will enjoy it even more. I am a fierce competitor and will be trying to break my own records each week. At least that is what has been happening with ARX.

Today was my absolute favourite workout- legs and back! Just loved it from start to finish. I think Friday will be my favourite day- a long walk in the woods with my dogs and some legs and back oh yeah!!!
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    Okay so I have now done all the workouts in the first week. I must say p90x pushes me out of my comfort zone and I like that, well I don't like it too. Now that I have written down all the reps and weights I think I will enjoy it even more. I am a fierce competitor and will be trying to break my own records each week. At least that is what has been happening with ARX.

Today was my absolute favourite workout- legs and back! Just loved it from start to finish. I think Friday will be my favourite day- a long walk in the woods with my dogs and some legs and back oh yeah!!!

Way to BRING IT!

My favorite is shoulders and arms. I have legs and back today and then I'll be going for a kickboxing and boxing session at my friends house. Heading into my recovery week next week, bringing my mat, weights, scale, everything on vacation with me. I don't want to backslide.

I feel very competitive with myself as well, I try to either eek out a few more reps everytime I do an exercise or up my weight. I have been warned that Phase 2 makes Phase 1 feel like a walk in the park. HA!
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    As for heart rate, I wear a heart rate monitor when I do all exercise. My total heart rate is what the monitor says I burn for the whole time. My net heart rate is different. Every hour I burn 89 calories by existing. Mfp has those existing calories built into my daily calorie allowance. When I add my exercise mfp does not subtract the 89 calories an hour which means they are being double counted. So if I work out for 2 hours then 178 calories are being counted twice. So before I add my calories into mfp I subtract those existing calories from the total burn.

OK, awesome! That's what I thought... I think I need to start doing this as well... I often thought about it but thought maybe I was crazy or something...

Thanks for the advice!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    6K run today in place of yesterdays Kenpo. Evil push ups day tomorrow.
  • znm100
    Options
    "Recovery Week" this week... seems prety hard to me though seeing as you have to do Yoga twice! And I have never done Core Synergistics, so we will see how that goes...

Missed Friday and Saturdays workouts as I was out of town, but getting back on track today...
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Ha! I'm repeating a week as i've been so slack so I'll take my recovery week when I'm on holiday next week. It will be my first time doing yoga!
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is THE best way to calculate your caloric burn. It's going to be different every time, even for the same person. It's going to be how hard your working each time. The HRM helps to keep you in the right pace. I can look at that and see that my heart rate is either too low or too high and I will get the exact number of calories burned. I can never rely on MFP to determine that for me, as much as I love this site. But this will also help you with your calories consumed. So I highly recommend getting one to get the proper nutrition and calories burned.
  • BryGuy2
    Options
    I also agree with Moran in that, we will not be doing the workouts as well as the peopl on the dvds. I cant stress enough that FORM is very, very important. If you rush through these workouts without proper form, you are defeating the purpose. Do it at your pace, work your way up to the level where you can get through these workouts as they do. Use your heart rate monitor to keep you in the right pace.
  • znm100
    Options
    Starting today! Bring it!

Welcome! Keep us posted on how you are making out!
  • znm100
    Options
    Core Synergistics today... finally a new workout!! I am nervous, I read about the exercises and it seems hard, but hopefully its not too bad... I'll find out this afternoon! Hope everyone else is doing well!
  • Smuterella
    Options
    good for you! Missing my run as i'm off out to buy some hiking equipment for my holiday. My rest week is next week and it's going to be pretty intense.

P90x and hiking!
  • BryGuy2
    Options
    I absolutely love Core Synergistics. This is the way to REALLY workout your abs. It isn't easy, but it's an awesome workout. The one thing I can recommend (And Tony will mention this). ENGAGE! You need to engage your core/abs the entire time. This will help really work your core, but even help with getting through the workouts. So just remember to do that, and you'll have an awesome workout!
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    On vacation but I wanted to pop over and say hi to everyone. I brought my P90x, my mat, my weights and my scale on vacation with me, I'm a spaz! I got here saturday (I got up at 5 am to workout at home before we left) Sunday was KenpoX and Monday was my rest day. Today starts recovery week, so I got my yoga out of the way and tomorrow is Core Synergistics. I'm nervous, I watched the disc and it's pretty intense. Hope you guys are doing well. Off to the beach I go!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I asked this question on another group, bit it hasn't been answered in over a week. *grumble*

My other half wants to do P90x with me, but sometimes he gets home around 6pm so it is much too late to workout, get dinner, go to bed. (He goes to sleep around 9pm and gets up at 4:30 am)

I want to do other workouts during the day in case he gets home too late to workout. I realize I may be doing 2 workouts in one day. I was thinking of the Cardio X video, got any other suggestions? (this is my second round of P90X)

thanks!
  • Jaymazing
    Jaymazing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7. My husband and I are doing it together as well, but with his crazy work schedule we have to be flexible. I usually ask him early in the day when he plans to work out. If it doesn't fit with my schedule, then I'll just go ahead and do it on my own. Or I'll do an easy-ish workout early in the day while I wait to work out with him later. I sometimes walk/run or do Brazialian Butt Lift or Yoga Booty Ballet videos. Having him for motivation is good, but it's hard when he's not motivated because it brings me down.
  • znm100
    Options
    I asked this question on another group, bit it hasn't been answered in over a week. *grumble*

My other half wants to do P90x with me, but sometimes he gets home around 6pm so it is much too late to workout, get dinner, go to bed. (He goes to sleep around 9pm and gets up at 4:30 am)

I want to do other workouts during the day in case he gets home too late to workout. I realize I may be doing 2 workouts in one day. I was thinking of the Cardio X video, got any other suggestions? (this is my second round of P90X)

thanks!

It looks like Cardio X is what they do for the P90x Doubles routine, so I think you will be ok with that, especially if it is your second round...