Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am pleased to announce that today is DAY 100 for me on EM2WL!!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Every day I am coming to realize that is the SINGLE BEST thing I could have done for myself!!!!

Yeah, Rosie! You are doing SO great!!!:heart::happy: :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Rosie, congrats on your 100th day! Great job for sticking with it eventho you have wanted to quit so many times.

Im almost done with week 4 and i think the massive fatigue fase has hit me like a brick. The last few days i have fallen asleep on the couch after having dinner, waking up 1 hour later to spend a little time awake before im too tired again and go to bed at like 2100... When my alarm goes off at 6 in the morning i dont feel like i have slept enough either! Im really hoping this stage will pass soon! 1 more week of work and then i have a 2 week holiday, but i dont want to spend these 2 weeks sleeping!!!

Foodwise im doing ok, still struggling to hit my protein macro.... but not struggling to hit my TDEE anymore this week. Even gone over a few days...

Weightwise im back to where i was half a year ago. (but then again it took me 6 months to loose the last 2 kilo's) And eventho i know that its ok to gain (i was on goalweight and maintanance before i started the reset) it still feels so counterintuitive! Deep down i know that gaining some weight and then loosing it the right way will help me cut off the fat and it will start showing my muscles a lot better but i feel that my tummy looks like it its swallowed a balloon (it doesnt really and my clothes still all fit)

only 3.5 weeks to go!
  • immywolf
    immywolf Posts: 18
    Options
    Oh my god. Week 5 of reset, and I'm just about finished with one of the worst weeks I have lived through in a long time.
    So, just like everyone else, the fatigue hit me this week. I've been so exhausted and moody, which likely caused me to have a huge fight with my mother on Wednesday... I've been slack with logging calories, I'm pretty sure I've been going over my TDEE almost every day for the last 2 weeks...today I've just been feeling down pretty much all day, I got home feeling teary, but I still did my last Level 2 workout from the 30 Day Shred.... I did it well, but then, god knows why, I decided to measure my waist and thighs when I finished. Most people normally lose inches and pounds on 30DS, so I was curious to see if it was working like that for me.

Firstly, I'd like to mention that the scale has absolutely no part in my life anymore. I am over it. Don't care the slightest what it says. But then, today, when I got out my measuring tape... I measured my thighs first, and I'm up an entire inch and a half. Then I tried my waist...  I couldn't read the number because there was actually a roll of squishy, flabby, pure FAT in the way. I used to have a pretty rock solid core, but now I just have all this FAT on top. I didn't even bother with looking at the number when I noticed it. I just threw away the tape, sat down and cried. This is the first time I've actually cried about my body in over a year. I haven't been this pudgy for 6 months. I just feel absolutely crushed.
    I know it's because I've been eating way too much... so what can I expect, a week of eating 500 cals over TDEE= a pound of fat. I've probably eaten 3000- 3500 extra calories in these last 2 weeks. So, here I am, with about a pound of extra fat on me. I now know that the number on the scale is not just 'scale weight' any more. It's bad, fatty, out of place, REAL weight. And I do care now. 

So, I'm thinking I'm gonna cut my reset short, and end it at the end of next week, after 6 weeks, instead of 8. However I was eating at cut for about 6 weeks before this reset- I haven't eaten anywhere near as low as 1200 calories for 12 weeks. 

Could someone tell me- is this enough???? My weight has been pretty stable for 2-3 weeks after the initial 4-5lb gain. I'm really hungry all the time, and I'm definitely out of the VLCD frame of mind for once and all. If my energy comes back throughout next week, I think I might be ready to cut. I just really don't want to gain any more fat. 

Please help me. I'm so desperate. :'(
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    immywolfe, why not just make sure to do TDEE for 3 weeks and then see? If you've been going over then eating at TDEE actually WILL be a cut. I tried the cut too soon and now I'm back to reset, doing it all over again. I recommend sticking with it.
  • immywolf
    Options
    immywolfe, why not just make sure to do TDEE for 3 weeks and then see? If you've been going over then eating at TDEE actually WILL be a cut. I tried the cut too soon and now I'm back to reset, doing it all over again. I recommend sticking with it.

Yeah, I've been thinking that... the last thing I want is to have to do the reset TWICE. I guess I just have to be really strict on myself now, for the next few weeks, and that should help a bit. I'm just so frustrated, it's gonna be hard to do it 3 more weeks :/
    How long did you do your first reset for?
  • immywolf
    Options
    P.S. Sorry for the huge whine everyone. :embarassed: :cry:
    Does anyone else have any ideas? Do you think it's best if I stick out my reset to the full 8 weeks....? I'm just really scared that I'll gain all this fat and then after the reset it won't come off for some unknown reason.... :frown:
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    P.S. Sorry for the huge whine everyone. :embarassed: :cry:
    Does anyone else have any ideas? Do you think it's best if I stick out my reset to the full 8 weeks....? I'm just really scared that I'll gain all this fat and then after the reset it won't come off for some unknown reason.... :frown:

I dont have any ideas, only stick out for the 8 weeks... Im feeling exactly what you are feeling at the moment! Hang on, its what i keep telling myself...
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Week Four Progress Report:

Back story:
    SW/HW on 09/2012: 306
    1/2012: 255 (via VLC diet)
    7/2012: 253 (via VLC diet)

Reset & NROL4W Start: 7/14/2012
    Week 1: 261
    Week 2: 265
    Week 3: 258; Notes: Thank you TOM!
    Week 4: 261; Notes: back injury kept me off exercise this week
    Week 5:
    Week 6:
    Week 7:
    Week 8:
  • immywolf
    Options
    So I've decided to make a compromise- TOM is due either this week or next week (but sometimes it goes berserk and doesn't come for 6-8 weeks instead of the normal 4-5) and so I've decided to start my cut the weekend after my TOM finishes, which should either be this weekend or next weekend. That means my reset will be anywhere between 6.5 weeks to 8 weeks. I feel ready to cut, honestly I can eat all my calories and more if I want and not feel completely stuffed, and I am definitely long gone out of my crazy VLCD frame of mind. I feel better today, compared to how I did last week- just happier and more confident overall.
    I'm choosing to start my cut after TOM because I don't want to start my cut and have the bloat from TOM get in the way of seeing results. It also will give me a reason to stay in reset mode that little bit longer. I'm thinking maybe to be safe to do my first week of cut at only a deficit of 100 calories just to put me in the stricter cutting frame of mind and then the next week bump it up to 300 and keep going at that.

Is this a good idea?
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    Hello All!

I'm like most everyone here. I had great success on 1200 calories a day with a lot of exercise and low carb for about 4 months. Now for the past 3 months I have been gaining and losing the same 10lbs weekly. I knew something had to be done so I decided it is time for a reset.

Like most I am afraid of gaining. I don't want to find any of my new wardrobe fitting too tight. I got rid of all of my larger clothes so I have nothing to use temporarily so I'm hoping it's not too bad for my body.

Can I ask what the average weight gain is in the 8-12 weeks of reset for those already down. I know everyone's body is different, but I'm an information junkie and just like personal examples as reassurance for myself mentally.

Day 1 nearly done, 400 more calories go go and I am so stuffed! Never thought I'd say that!!!
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

I'm joining the reset with all of you guys. I started trying to lose weight since January and started ate around 800-900kcal since the last 2 weeks of May or so. I was actually at my goal weight since June but I was scared that I might gain a lot more weight if I ate more than 800 kcal so I continued this habit until I join MFP community here. This sites is an eyes opener for me, I should have join it sooner! :D

Anyway, I have been eating more to reset my metabolism for a week now-I started reset on August the 1st. So far I have gain 1.5 lb with in a week and my waist got 2 inch bigger. I knew it is expected however, I'm still confused of what to eat right now. I tried to eat protein as much as possible but my choices are limited-canned fish, plain yogurt, nuts, grilled plain chicken breast, milk, soy milk, boiled eggs...That's what I usually have and it gets boring fast. Is having sugary, hi carb bakery every morning OK? Does hicarb, sugary food items OK to snack at night when it is within my TDEE allowance? I tried to snack of nuts but it makes me go over fat so easily and when I had carb, it always tack a long with sugar, even though I had whole wheat bread, and it's from local bakery.....I am not even sure how many calories it is. I'm worried most of the time that I will overeat seeing that I'm extremely sedentary and until I got fitbit, i am still not sure is it be OK if I under eat it a bit, says 100kcal or 200kcal or it would interfere with my reset. So far I have manage to to keep it under control for overeat/under eat for -3/+3 right now though.
  • raaachel_
    Options
    Hey everybody!
    I really want to give the metabolism reset a try but I just want some conformation on the numbers I got and if I'm on the right track
    Im 15.5 years old, 162 cm and 52kg with 27 BF%
    I got these numbers from scooby:
    BMR: 1297
    TDEE: 1783
    TDEE: 1516
    I consider myself 1-3 light activity. I do a 30 minute boxing circut and 30 minute weight program on monday, a 45 cardio/kickboxing class on thursday and maybe 20 minutes of weights, and a body pump class and 20 minute cardio on saturday.

Right now I am eating between 1250-1400 calories a day and I'm scared to increase, but I think it is the best option. And when I increase do I do it all at once or should I go 1500 for a week and then 1600 for two weeks and then up to 1700-1783 and stay there for 8 weeks? so many questions but i want to get it right hahaha!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last week of RESET finally!!! Never thought i'd go this far but I have managed somehow. The week ends on the 13th of August, but i'm going away for a week or so, so i'll be starting cut when I get back. So excited and can't wait. Thinking of actually UPPING my EXERCISE as opposed to eating less. Has anyone done it this way before?? Would love some feedback!! Thanks!!
  • jillllian
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Day 4 of my reset and I feel bloated but I WONT step on that scale. I have a love hate relationship with the reset. In the morning when I wake up I feel fine but once I have breakfast then it's bloating... I go back and forth all day saying "I can't do this" to "You have to do this" I was eating 800-1200 calories a day and thought I was so healthy. I also haven't had aunt flow visit in about 6-7 months. I thought that was because working out but I'm starting to realize it's because my body is not getting what it needs to even make that happen. I had a rude awakening when I found em2wl on MFP and finally said out loud 5 days ago that I have ED. To my suprise I'm very open about it now that it came out. I'm getting married next October and we plan on having kids right away but without aunt flow... there will be no kids. So this is very important to me to stay on track and fix my body. Even with all this said I am a mess inside. Eating more is great but also I'm in fear with the thought of gainning all the weight I lost over the past year or so. I've been on this site every day now reading post, searching questions, and just checking out em2wl website trying to soak in as much as prossible. Also these blogs are the only thing that snaps my mind back to "you can do this" mode. I am wondering though if during the reset do I only look at calories? because I'm having such a hard time with sodium, total fats, sat fats, carbs, and sugars... It's driving me crazy!! I can't see how I'm going to eat 1756 calories a day and not go over on one or more of them. What do I do? Also I'll be working out during the reset so I'll be eating more then 1756. If anyone could please help me with what to do about that.

And thank you all for your questions and answers on other post. It's been helping me SO much!! Keep the progress photos and blogs coming. I love the motivation and success!
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    Week one- up 2 ounces

Week two - up 2 more ounces

Week three - up 2.8 pounds

ACK! Just needed to vent somewhere and have someone tell me it will be ok ;)

-deep breath-
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!
    I really want to give the metabolism reset a try but I just want some conformation on the numbers I got and if I'm on the right track
    Im 15.5 years old, 162 cm and 52kg with 27 BF%
    I got these numbers from scooby:
    BMR: 1297
    TDEE: 1783
    TDEE: 1516
    I consider myself 1-3 light activity. I do a 30 minute boxing circut and 30 minute weight program on monday, a 45 cardio/kickboxing class on thursday and maybe 20 minutes of weights, and a body pump class and 20 minute cardio on saturday.

Right now I am eating between 1250-1400 calories a day and I'm scared to increase, but I think it is the best option. And when I increase do I do it all at once or should I go 1500 for a week and then 1600 for two weeks and then up to 1700-1783 and stay there for 8 weeks? so many questions but i want to get it right hahaha!

Adding up the hours of activity you're doing, assuming body pump is an hour, puts you over 3 hours which puts you in the moderate activity range. Don't underestimate your activity level. I'm also not really sure what the stance is with your age- teenagers need to eat a lot more than adults to continue growing. You might want to message Kiki or Lucia about it.
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Day 4 of my reset and I feel bloated but I WONT step on that scale. I have a love hate relationship with the reset. In the morning when I wake up I feel fine but once I have breakfast then it's bloating... I go back and forth all day saying "I can't do this" to "You have to do this" I was eating 800-1200 calories a day and thought I was so healthy. I also haven't had aunt flow visit in about 6-7 months. I thought that was because working out but I'm starting to realize it's because my body is not getting what it needs to even make that happen. I had a rude awakening when I found em2wl on MFP and finally said out loud 5 days ago that I have ED. To my suprise I'm very open about it now that it came out. I'm getting married next October and we plan on having kids right away but without aunt flow... there will be no kids. So this is very important to me to stay on track and fix my body. Even with all this said I am a mess inside. Eating more is great but also I'm in fear with the thought of gainning all the weight I lost over the past year or so. I've been on this site every day now reading post, searching questions, and just checking out em2wl website trying to soak in as much as prossible. Also these blogs are the only thing that snaps my mind back to "you can do this" mode. I am wondering though if during the reset do I only look at calories? because I'm having such a hard time with sodium, total fats, sat fats, carbs, and sugars... It's driving me crazy!! I can't see how I'm going to eat 1756 calories a day and not go over on one or more of them. What do I do? Also I'll be working out during the reset so I'll be eating more then 1756. If anyone could please help me with what to do about that.

And thank you all for your questions and answers on other post. It's been helping me SO much!! Keep the progress photos and blogs coming. I love the motivation and success!

I hear you- I lost 60 pounds in a year, maintained it for months, and then steadily gained 10 pounds back. I gained those 10 pounds back by overexercising and not eating enough. For my reset I jumped to 2655 calories a day, doing 5 65-minute cardio sessions a week. I had trouble with binging and, honestly, ended up over TDEE way more often than I was under. My results? I was 154 at the start of reset. 156.2 at the end. And that was with eating so much for two months, and going out of town the last week, where I continued to eat 2655 a day without any exercise. 2 pounds was nothing when I consider the mental battle I came through just to allow myself to eat more.

The reset also taught me that overexcessive cardio isn't doing me any favors. I started NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women) and now the only cardio I do is a 15 minute HIIT warmup. Later stages incorporate more cardio, but for now I've cut back. I feel better than ever.
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I posted this as a separate topic but thought I'd post it here too so that other resetters with the same question might get some answers :).

I've been eating at TDEE of 2480 (occasionally 100-200 over that) for a full 6 weeks. During that time, in the first week and a half my weight jumped up from pre-reset weight of 77.8kg to about 79.5kg. Over the past 3 weeks my weight has stabilized to 79 - 79.2. This made me think that I was eating my actual TDEE and maintaining.

HOWEVER - I weighed in today at 78.4kg! A loss out of nowhere?? I lifted heavy on Thursday and have done a lot of walking this week, but this week I haven't exercised as much or as intensely as I usually do.

What's going on? Any advice?
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Week one- up 2 ounces

Week two - up 2 more ounces

Week three - up 2.8 pounds

ACK! Just needed to vent somewhere and have someone tell me it will be ok ;)

-deep breath-

It will all be okay!!! Just think of how, once you've reset your metabolism, you'll be able to shed those extra lbs the right way! Plus, the 2.8 lbs may not be totally accurate. I'm an every-day-weigher and I float up and down up to 3 lbs from day to day (I just started my 4th week of reset). Just keep on truckin', because you're doing the best thing you possibly can for your body right now.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started my reset last week - the first two days I had a really hard time getting all that food in! TDEE is 2100 and I was eating at about 1200 since April then in late June I bumped up to 1600 cal/day. I did really well loosing 17 lbs then stalled a little over a month ago loosing nothing. I am very active walking 7 days a week at about 4mph (I have 2 crazy dogs that need tons of exercise) and do HIIT also 4 times a week and some lifting. I came for support and have been reading up on resets, etc and judging by the way my body is so far reacting I do think I wasn't eating enough for sure. With being at 2100 for 4 days I have not gained anything so far. I do have a hard time eating all those calories though as I don't tend to eat a lot of calorie dense food. Spoonfulls of PB have become by friend!

I plan to do a reset for at least a couple weeks and see what happens. I am trying to increase the calories and still eat as clean as I can.