Stage 1

Options

Replies

• dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just started on Saturday. I had a slight incident with the squats as it never occured to me how heavy the bar was. I had to take of weight a bunch of times. Hopefully the deadlifts go better!

Saturday
    Squat 55pds 2x7 reps this was my maximum and I think I need to stick with just the bar or dumbbells for a while so I can do the proper number of reps
    Full pushup 15 reps ok . I've just started doing normal pushups again (arm issues) but I plan to move to the more challenging ones in the middle of September.
    Seated row 50 pds 15 reps
    prone jackknife 15reps ( we do these at my boot camp so I need to make them more challenging)
    step ups 10pd d/b a 2 steps 15 reps

I was surprised at my heart rate and the amount I was sweating.
    Wow, we have pretty much the same stats as far as weight and reps. Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to progress.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For the seated row what do people use? I use the 'seated row machine' at the gym. Is there an advantage to using a different way other than this?

Is the seated row machine one of those giant heavy machines with handles or does it have a cable? I prefer the cable weight machine that you can adjust where/what the handles are. I think since it moves more that it's more of a challenge to keep still.

Its a machine with handles, the height is adjustable somewhat and it is a cable machine.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Its a machine with handles, the height is adjustable somewhat and it is a cable machine.

Sounds like the one I use! I tried doing the bent over rows with a barbell but my wrists couldn't handle as much weight as I can do right now (70lbs for 3 sets of 10). For me, the cable machine is best!
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Hi everybody! I've been stalking this thread for a while now but haven't posted.

I'm doing S1 5B today and loving the program so far. I'm working with a bum wrist...have a ganglion cyst that flares up every once in a while. I'm still able to lift with it, I just don't have the range of motion that I need - good thing there are no jackknives or push-ups in today's workout! I'm seeing an ortho surgeon on Thursday to see about getting the cyst removed and hope it won't take me out of commission for very long.

Also have a question about squats...my gym (at work) only has a Smith machine. I know that isn't ideal for squats. There is a curl bar, but no rack for it. I still feel like I'm getting a great workout using the Smith machine, but is there another way to do the squats that would be better?
  • holleysings
    Options
    Hi everybody! I've been stalking this thread for a while now but haven't posted.

I'm doing S1 5B today and loving the program so far. I'm working with a bum wrist...have a ganglion cyst that flares up every once in a while. I'm still able to lift with it, I just don't have the range of motion that I need - good thing there are no jackknives or push-ups in today's workout! I'm seeing an ortho surgeon on Thursday to see about getting the cyst removed and hope it won't take me out of commission for very long.

Also have a question about squats...my gym (at work) only has a Smith machine. I know that isn't ideal for squats. There is a curl bar, but no rack for it. I still feel like I'm getting a great workout using the Smith machine, but is there another way to do the squats that would be better?

Yeah, the Smith machine is not good because in real life nothing is on a track like that. It's actually a lot harder to do the squats without the guide that the Smith machine provides. How heavy is the curl bar? Can you clean and press it to your shoulders or add weights to it? If there are other free weight barbells, you could clean and press those to your shoulders and squat with that. Obviously, if you're squatting more than you can clean and press, this won't work! Have you looked in the book? I think he mentions single leg squats with a bench and dumbbells, which could work too.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

I finally manage to get back to the gym and get properly started. So on Monday it was my official Stage 1 A1 workout. I do have a few questions however and hope you can help me.

Firstly as a warm up I did a brisk walk on the treadmill with an incline for 10 mins and then did a couple of the warm ups from the book. Then I did about 10 squats just with my bodyweight as a warm up set. Would you say that sounds ok? Would I need more walking or any other sort of cardio warm up?

Next questions is in regards to the squats. I don't know how much the bar weighs that I am using (I don't think it is an olympic bar) but I put 22lbs in weights on the bar. When I did the squats I watched myself from the side in a mirror to see my form. I had real trouble to go parallel or below parallel. When I tried to go lower my legs got so shaky that I was worried I wouldn't manage to come up so I didn't go as low. Does that sound normal? What advice could you give me?

The next question is in regards to the step ups. I am quite sure I need to increase the hight of my step. I am 5'6" and used 4 risers and the step. My problem is however that I don't know how to do the step up without using the non working leg. I just kind of automatically push myself up at the very last moment. Am I supposed to not use the leg at all? And if so how do you do it?

Also with the step ups I was holding 15lbs in each hand but my lower arm/wrist really started to hurt me. I think I could see in the mirror that I am kind of bend my wrist in a way that my hand is coming up. I suppose I have to let it just hang to avoid this. Has anyone had the same problem?

Also how exactly do you all do the rest periods. Do you totally rest and then move to the next station and set it up or do you use the rest period to do that? For me it was a bit of a mix between the too. Is that acceptable?

And last question: I had a very high calorie burn according to my HRM which really surprised me. With the warm up it took me 1 hour and I burned 580 cals. I didn't expect that much. Is that normal or could that be because I didn't rest properly in between the sets?

I am really sorry to bombard you with all those questions. I would appreciate any input!

Overall I can say I loved the workout and even though I was nervous to go into the weight section for the first time all by myself I felt proud once I was done. I am actually looking forward to going back tomorrow!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

I finally manage to get back to the gym and get properly started. So on Monday it was my official Stage 1 A1 workout. I do have a few questions however and hope you can help me.

Firstly as a warm up I did a brisk walk on the treadmill with an incline for 10 mins and then did a couple of the warm ups from the book. Then I did about 10 squats just with my bodyweight as a warm up set. Would you say that sounds ok? Would I need more walking or any other sort of cardio warm up?

You do what I do, except I do 10 min on a stationary bike.
    Next questions is in regards to the squats. I don't know how much the bar weighs that I am using (I don't think it is an olympic bar) but I put 22lbs in weights on the bar. When I did the squats I watched myself from the side in a mirror to see my form. I had real trouble to go parallel or below parallel. When I tried to go lower my legs got so shaky that I was worried I wouldn't manage to come up so I didn't go as low. Does that sound normal? What advice could you give me?

I think generally most 6' bars weigh 10 pounds so you started with 32 lbs. I started with bw and then went to 40 with dbs and then 60 with the squat rack. The first time I did 60 I went below parallel and couldn't get back up so I know what you mean. If you believe you'll be able to go parallel next time, try with the same weight as this time. If you still can't get to parallel, drop a couple of pounds, and try again. Follow, and then begin increasing as you can get to parallel easily. If you check the book he says, your first set should feel like you can easily do more at the weight you are using, then add for the 2nd set and that should be harder. Add for the third set if you can - that should be difficult, challenging for you to finish.
    The next question is in regards to the step ups. I am quite sure I need to increase the hight of my step. I am 5'6" and used 4 risers and the step. My problem is however that I don't know how to do the step up without using the non working leg. I just kind of automatically push myself up at the very last moment. Am I supposed to not use the leg at all? And if so how do you do it?

Recommended that you get form correct before you add weight. For step ups I've stayed at the lower riser with correct form, then added weight there. When I increased the riser, I dropped the amount of weight I was doing and only added when I could step up without using momentum or the trailing leg. My understanding is that your thigh should be no more than parallel to the floor so if you are stepping too high you wouldn't be able to keep correct form. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.
    Also with the step ups I was holding 15lbs in each hand but my lower arm/wrist really started to hurt me. I think I could see in the mirror that I am kind of bend my wrist in a way that my hand is coming up. I suppose I have to let it just hang to avoid this. Has anyone had the same problem?

Ditto. I also found I was holding and shrugging my shoulders as I stepped up. It's all a matter of learning and knowing your best form. I use dbs for step ups but I know some use the barbell. Actually I'd love to hear how they hold the bb doing step ups as i might try this next
    Also how exactly do you all do the rest periods. Do you totally rest and then move to the next station and set it up or do you use the rest period to do that? For me it was a bit of a mix between the too. Is that acceptable?

I used to be able to use my stop watch/timer and set it for 60 sec and start the next set. However, I have to load and unload dbs and bbs these days and that kinda tosses that 60 sec interval out the window. I stay as close to it as possible tho.
    And last question: I had a very high calorie burn according to my HRM which really surprised me. With the warm up it took me 1 hour and I burned 580 cals. I didn't expect that much. Is that normal or could that be because I didn't rest properly in between the sets?

I don't know the answer to that one. I just purchased my HRM (Polar FT7) and am waiting for delivery. I can let you know when I use it the first time.
    I am really sorry to bombard you with all those questions. I would appreciate any input!

Overall I can say I loved the workout and even though I was nervous to go into the weight section for the first time all by myself I felt proud once I was done. I am actually looking forward to going back tomorrow!

We're all here to learn, my answers are my experience and how I've interpretted the book. Someone else chime in with your experiences too please?
  • suelegal
    Options
    Wow, that previous reply is messy!! Thought I was making it easer to read that way but not really!

I've been a baaaaaaad girl :embarassed:

Last workout was Friday, then I was away for the weekend thru Monday. I didn't get up yesterday to workout, was going to when I got home, but hubby had his workshop all torn up and encroaching into my lifting zone. He didn't get it all relocated until way too late to work out. So I said I'd get up this morning... um... I didn't. Hit snooze, hit snooze hit snooze and realized it was too many snoozes to get in a workout before I had to be at the train station. I promise I will workout tonight!

...but I had such a lovely weekend with my sisters and the shower was just so much fun. My niece was completely surprised and she did receive some wonderful gifts!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Thank you soooo much for your reply! It is really helpful for me! I am just a bit of a perfectionist and tend to freak out if I feel I am doing something wrong. It is so great to have people here to help me out :smile:

I'd be interested to know what you're HRM will tell you. I have the Polar FT4 and love. It also has the time displayed in seconds so I can use it to check my rest times.

Today while doing the lunges I was already making sure to keep my wrist straight and it helped me. I think I just need to get used to holding them.

Also I think I might use less weight for the step ups next time to get my form corrected. And I think with the squats I will just stay at the same weight and try to focus on going parallel.

Again thank you so much for taking the time and replying to me! :flowerforyou:
  • holleysings
    Options
    Thank you soooo much for your reply! It is really helpful for me! I am just a bit of a perfectionist and tend to freak out if I feel I am doing something wrong. It is so great to have people here to help me out :smile:

I'd be interested to know what you're HRM will tell you. I have the Polar FT4 and love. It also has the time displayed in seconds so I can use it to check my rest times.

Today while doing the lunges I was already making sure to keep my wrist straight and it helped me. I think I just need to get used to holding them.

Also I think I might use less weight for the step ups next time to get my form corrected. And I think with the squats I will just stay at the same weight and try to focus on going parallel.

If you cannot go parallel for EVERY SQUAT at your current weight for squats, you need to drop down to a lower weight. Form is more important than the amount of weight. You can really injure your low back and quads if you use the improper form and too much weight. Trust me, I've done it. NOT GOOD.

It may help you hold the weights while you lunge/step up if you use lifting gloves. They help you grip better and save your palms from callouses. You could also wrap something around your wrists to remind you to keep them straight. If I was having that problem, I would drop to a weight that I could keep my wrists straight at and only go up when my wrists could stay straight the entire exercise. You really really need to get that under control or you could hurt your wrists.

With the step ups, I focus on leaning towards the working leg as I step up, which forces me to use that leg to pull up my body rather than my trailing leg to push up my body. I do think it's impossible that the trailing leg won't help a bit (I mean, we were built to use BOTH legs for things like that.) but you can trick it into helping less.

For rest periods, I usually try to set up the exercises in sets during the rest breaks between. So for Workout A: set-up squats, squats, rest, squats, rest/set-up seated row, pushups, rest, seated row, rest, pushups, rest, seated row, rest/set-up step ups and exercise ball, step-ups, rest, jackknife, rest, step-ups, rest, jackknives. Hopefully, that makes sense! I will take a bit more time during the rest/set-up if I need it, but I don't worry about it too much.

Let us know if you have more questions! I've been lifting off and on for 10 years, but consistently for the past 10 months. I started NROL4W a month ago and have had great results so far! I'm not an expert, but I've learned a lot of this the hard way. I've dealt with a lot of injuries due to improper form, so trust me when I say that no one is kidding when they say it's more important than anything!
  • MelodyAnn323
    MelodyAnn323 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great questions Daisy- I am also a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this and you certainly asked some of the questions I was wondering as well. Sue and Holly- amazingly wonderful answers! Thanks for really taking the time to be thorough and a great resources for us newer lifters!
  • holleysings
    Options
    I posted this info on my blog and the EM2WL group, but I thought I would share it here too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/holleysings
    I had a DEXA scan this week and had some great results showing that I put on about 4lbs of muscle in the past two months and LOST 3-5lbs of fat! I took a lifting break in July and started NROL4W in August, so I'm so excited! This program really does work and I'm not even done with Stage 1! :happy:
  • suelegal
    Options
    I posted this info on my blog and the EM2WL group, but I thought I would share it here too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/holleysings
    I had a DEXA scan this week and had some great results showing that I put on about 4lbs of muscle in the past two months and LOST 3-5lbs of fat! I took a lifting break in July and started NROL4W in August, so I'm so excited! This program really does work and I'm not even done with Stage 1! :happy:

I did a body fat check over the weekend. I know it's not totally accurate but I'm at 22% BF. Last check was 27. I still weigh abotu 160 pounds, and for my 5'4" body, still too much but I'm not cutting right now. I eat not quite at TDEE most days and I try to be as accurate as possible. I weigh food and often times check the MFP foods added by members because I've found many that just are wholly inaccurate. It all goes hand in hand with building muscle. I'm very happy with NROL4W and love the new body I have. Hubs called me skinny the other night :happy: He's noticing too!

I wanted to add my thoughts on the pushups. I started at 36". I just didn't have any ability to do those elbows in pushups at the lower level. It's taken me to those lower # reps to get down to floor level. Each lower level of course has been more difficult, but form is most critical so if you aren't doing elbow in pushups, don't add weight until you can bang them out with that perfect form. I still struggle to get deep enough with elbows in!
  • Daisy80
    Options

If you cannot go parallel for EVERY SQUAT at your current weight for squats, you need to drop down to a lower weight. Form is more important than the amount of weight. You can really injure your low back and quads if you use the improper form and too much weight. Trust me, I've done it. NOT GOOD.

It may help you hold the weights while you lunge/step up if you use lifting gloves. They help you grip better and save your palms from callouses. You could also wrap something around your wrists to remind you to keep them straight. If I was having that problem, I would drop to a weight that I could keep my wrists straight at and only go up when my wrists could stay straight the entire exercise. You really really need to get that under control or you could hurt your wrists.

With the step ups, I focus on leaning towards the working leg as I step up, which forces me to use that leg to pull up my body rather than my trailing leg to push up my body. I do think it's impossible that the trailing leg won't help a bit (I mean, we were built to use BOTH legs for things like that.) but you can trick it into helping less.

For rest periods, I usually try to set up the exercises in sets during the rest breaks between. So for Workout A: set-up squats, squats, rest, squats, rest/set-up seated row, pushups, rest, seated row, rest, pushups, rest, seated row, rest/set-up step ups and exercise ball, step-ups, rest, jackknife, rest, step-ups, rest, jackknives. Hopefully, that makes sense! I will take a bit more time during the rest/set-up if I need it, but I don't worry about it too much.

Let us know if you have more questions! I've been lifting off and on for 10 years, but consistently for the past 10 months. I started NROL4W a month ago and have had great results so far! I'm not an expert, but I've learned a lot of this the hard way. I've dealt with a lot of injuries due to improper form, so trust me when I say that no one is kidding when they say it's more important than anything!

I can only agree with MelodyAnn- thank you both so much for taking the time to reply!

It really seems I need to lower my weight for the step ups for now. I will see how that goes and it will probably help me with my wrists too. I think with the squat I will try the same weight and if I am still struggling to go parallel I'll have to lower them. I will see tomorrow!

My rest periods are pretty similar to your so I am happy with that :smile:

Again thank you for the help!

[/quote]
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    So today was supposed to be my first B workout but I left the sheet at home. A was in my gym bag so I did it again. I decreased the weights for the squats and upped the ones for the step ups. Everything else is the same. The gym is closed for the long weekend so I wouldn't have been able to do my Saturday workout anyway. I will try the B one next week.

I think next time I do A, I will do one set with 20 lbs dumbbells and the next set with the oly bar and then go from there.
  • mercury8826
    Options
    Gooooood Morning!

I was lazy this morning and didn't get to my run, booooo. D; I need to find a way to get a deeper sleep, or a better means of waking myself up... >__< Any suggestions!?!

Danifo, That actually happened to me when I first started the program! but I think it was a little different for me, since I had all my information on my phone and the battery didn't get charged so I had no means of accessing the exercise list. ^^; but as long as you go a good workout today, that's good and you can pick the routine back up next week.

Everyone! Check out my profile pic! It made me think of you lovely, gals! ;D
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Question. Pushups go down in reps along with all the weight work...are we supposed to add weight to them? If so how? I know this may be a stupid question....

I think you are supposed to make them harder, like the t-pushup and then using dumbbells. But, you could always work on form, too. If you are knocking them out perfectly then move on to somethng else but if they are "just pushups" you could work on perfecting form...arms in, chest close to floor, etc. I think the t-pushups use your core as well as your arms so much more so you could give them a whirl.

Thanks! I still can't do them great on their own so maybe for now I will just try to perfect my form.......and maybe just will not decrease the number I do?
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Next workout is tomorrow....Stage 1 Workout B - #6 for me....been working a lot this week so I haven't been able to get to the gym since Monday :( I feel so much better when I can get to the gym. Decided two workouts ago to bike to the gym.....LOVE!

I will have to take the time to read all these posts over and get to know everyone....I have a really erratic schedule so it is tough for me to check in.

Cheers
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm mixing my answers with your questions.
    Hi ladies

Your warm-up sounds fine. As you get to later stage you may end up dropping the cardio in the beginning. You won't need it and the workout will be too long. In stage 1 it's perfectly fine. Great job
    Ask a staff member what that bar weighs. You want to be accurate. Also if your gym does have a rack and oly, switch to that. the OLY bar is 45lbs. You may want to use less weight so your form is better and you can get down lower. Don't try to push to far to fast. Form is paramount.
    The next question is in regards to the step ups. I am quite sure I need to increase the height of my step. I am 5'6" and used 4 risers and the step. My problem is however that I don't know how to do the step up without using the non working leg. I just kind of automatically push myself up at the very last moment. Am I supposed to not use the leg at all? And if so how do you do it? Also with the step ups I was holding 15lbs in each hand but my lower arm/wrist really started to hurt me. I think I could see in the mirror that I am kind of bend my wrist in a way that my hand is coming up. I suppose I have to let it just hang to avoid this. Has anyone had the same problem?
    I'm 5'6'' too and I also used 4 risers. You want to make sure your leg is parallel with the floor. As you get to much heavier weights, like above 50lbs, then you may want to add another riser or two. That way you are increasing your work without increasing weight and taxing your arms while you are supposed to be working your legs. another option for holding the weight is using plates with a grip (like using 10lb plates or 25lb plates), or even using the pre-weighted curling bars or the shorter barbell. Just remember that this workout is for the lower body and focus the "work" there. As or focussing on the working leg. I point the toe of my nonworking leg and pretty much don't touch it down. it will graze the floor and graze the top of the step, but I don't let it do any work haha.
    Rest as you move, but I always brought my dbs over to whatever I was using so I wouldn't have to move too far between the exercises.
    Don't trust your HRM when it comes to lifting. Strength training is an anaerobic exercise where you are not really oxygenating the blood as you move. Stick to the rule of 300 calories for lifting days and add the few extra from your cardio to it. This will also keep you from over-eating and hopefuly keep you on the loosing end of the spectrum. But don't freak if you gain a little.

Way to go girl. Lifting not only make you physically stronger, but mentally too. It makes you strong and powerful :flowerforyou: Hope I did all those quotes right. Here goes.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Question. Pushups go down in reps along with all the weight work...are we supposed to add weight to them? If so how? I know this may be a stupid question....

I think you are supposed to make them harder, like the t-pushup and then using dumbbells. But, you could always work on form, too. If you are knocking them out perfectly then move on to somethng else but if they are "just pushups" you could work on perfecting form...arms in, chest close to floor, etc. I think the t-pushups use your core as well as your arms so much more so you could give them a whirl.

Thanks! I still can't do them great on their own so maybe for now I will just try to perfect my form.......and maybe just will not decrease the number I do?
    Yes work on making them harder. If you are not on the floor, then work on getting there. If you are on the floor, you can start raising your feet, trying for the T push up, or taking a 2 second pause at the bottom.