September Challenge - Me vs. The Binge

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    As of September 1, 2012: - Goal to remain mindful of not binging and when I do binge figure out why and what was going on when I binged. I also want to log it all

Mollie - 13
    The Binge - 3 ashamed0005.gif (1, 10, 16)
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    U, Sep 16

beatrixia: 12
    The Binge: 4 (9/4, 9/10, 9/12, 9/16)

The 9/12 binge was hard for me to call. I went back and forth over whether it was a binge or an overindulgence/overeating experience. It started really quickly, and then ended really quickly, too. I decided to count it as a binge because of my mindset during that short time. I was impulsive and definitely had an "I don't care" attitude. I also ate really quickly and didn't let myself think about what I was doing. So, I decided to acknowledge it as binge.

I was really happy by the end of the day, though, because my last two eating experiences that day were controlled. Also, some kindhearted and wise MFP friends gave me a lot of food for _thought_ that day, for which I am grateful. :)

Sunday...I was ok until the end of the day.

I am optimistic about tomorrow and the rest of the month, too!

Thank you all for sharing and for your persistence. :flowerforyou:
  • susiebear29
    Options
    Today;

Binge - 9 :sad: :sad:
    Me - 7

Im not very happy with these numbers, I had a 6 day binge last week, but there's nothing I can do about it now so it's onwards and upwards!! going to go to the gym this morning and for a cycle later I DO NOT NEED TO BINGE!!!! have a great day everyone :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Today;

Me - 7

Im not very happy with these numbers, I had a 6 day binge last week, but there's nothing I can do about it now so it's onwards and upwards!! going to go to the gym this morning and for a cycle later I DO NOT NEED TO BINGE!!!! have a great day everyone :happy: :happy: :happy:

You can do this! I am glad you are feeling better and will be out to the gym today! Have a great week.
  • stephs0214
    stephs0214 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Well, even though MFP shows I only went over my cal macros by 105 Saturday, I will still call it a binge since I was a little over 2000 cals for the day. I feel like I ruined my work-out for that day and just could not get food out of my head until I went to bed.

Me: 13
    Binge: 3 (8/1, 8/2, 8/15)

Now, my goal is just to get thru the month without any more binges.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    September 2012

Diane: 13
    The Binge: 3
  • susiebear29
    Options
    Today;

Me - 7

You can do this! I am glad you are feeling better and will be out to the gym today! Have a great week.

thank you so much for being so kind and supportive, I have had a much better day today, hope you have a great week too!! :happy: :happy:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    As of September 16, 2012--goal to binge no more than 7 days

Me: 10
    Binge: 6 (9/3; 9/4; 9/7; 9/9; 9/11; 9/12)

I was MIA this weekend; I overate but didn't binge.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    There is a Mystery Behind Every Food Addiction

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2012 | POSTED BY DR. GOULD

Are you looking for a "Magical Cure" to your food obsession or a "Scientific Solution?"

We know that emotional eating is the major cause of overeating, weight gain, food disorders and eating addictions. When you eat for emotional reasons, you are doing so because you are in conflict with yourself. You have to recognize that you have two selves fighting it out with each other, over every difficult food decision.

THE CONFLICT

On one hand, when you decide to "diet", you are saying to yourself that you want to learn how to eat in moderation and stop using food in excess to deal with overwhelming emotions. You want to stop the self destructive use of food which is making you fat, miserable, and damaging your health. You are the one who is deciding to stop this eating pattern because it's in your best interest.

On the other hand, there is a part of you that when it comes to eating what you want, says; "nobody's going to take my food away from me." This stake in the ground represents a defiant act of independence. For some strange reason, this rebellious self is glorified and generates a sense of pride. This is part of the mystery that needs to be revealed, because that someone who wants to take food away from you is you.

THE MYSTERY

The meaning of food and hunger, and the act of eating, is part of the "mysterious" unique psychology of each person's complex life, both past and current. Below is an example of a common scenario that illustrates the origins of the rebellious self. Keep in mind, there are many others. Some that start later in life and others that have nothing to do with a parent. Regardless of the origin of your eating conflict, the fact that you are still rebelling against yourself, is a mystery to be solved.

Often times the pattern starts as a rebellion against a parent, mostly the mother. People vividly remember their mother constantly harping about their weight during late childhood and adolescence. They did not see their mothers attention to their weight as a loving gesture. Usually they saw it as a rejecting gesture meaning that they were not valued if they were heavy and would only be valued if they were thin and popular.

In response to that interpretation of their mother's intent, they dug in their heels and rebelled and refused to lose weight. Oftentimes they would sneak food to baffle their doctors and confuse their parents who couldn't understand how they gained weight on the prescribed diet. Since they were ostensibly doing everything possible they should be excused from losing weight because it wasn't in their control, it was just their metabolism. They convinced themselves that they were victims being misunderstood and unfairly treated.

THE SOLUTION

The solution to this conflict is insight, it is your personal "Ahas" that will resolve this conflict over time. Here is an example of a woman who conquered her rebellious self.

One day she calmly and clearly decided that she was simply going to lose weight! This statement came only after she was convinced she could master the problems in her relationship without using food to comfort herself or to punish her husband. This did not just happen magically. It was at the end of a process during which she was immersed in hours and hours of thinking about herself and food and grabbing little insights along the way until it all added up.

Many other members of the Shrink Yourself Program have reported that they have suddenly lost their cravings, after understanding the rebellious aspects of themselves.

THE SCIENCE

All significant learning takes time, attention, practice and patience. The brain has multiple processing centers that work individually and every night when you go to sleep your brain works very hard to synthesize what you have learned in these multiple centers. Therefore, every morning when you wake up you're a little bit wiser.

The Shrink Yourself program takes into account how the brain works. We keep you immersed in thinking about emotional eating and your life for 12 weeks through multiple approaches and features so that you can collect hundreds of little insights, sleep on them every night, and let your brain finish the work.

So although the emotional eating issue is complex and the rebellion against yourself very personal, there is a scientific method that can deal with that complexity if you are willing to make the effort to learn more about yourself.

Are you ready to resolve the "mystery" of your eating conflict?
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    As of September 17, 2012: - Goal 25 or more days without binging
    Me - 15
    The Binge - 2 (2,3)

Day 14 in a row .... This is the longest I've gone in over 2 years...
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Sept Goal = the entire month with no binges!!!!

MamaDee - 17
    Binge - 0

Over halfway through the month!
  • anorangie
    Options
    Great job, danifo0811 & MamaDee2 :happy:

M, Sep 17, 2012

beatrixia: 12
    The Binge: 5 (9/4, 9/10, 9/12, 9/16, 9/17)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    As of September 1, 2012: - Goal to remain mindful of not binging and when I do binge figure out why and what was going on when I binged. I also want to log it all

Mollie - 13
    The Binge - 4 ashamed0005.gif (1, 10, 16, 17)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    September 2012

Diane: 14
    The Binge: 3
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options

Outstanding!!! Something to be extremely proud of :flowerforyou:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    As of September 17, 2012--goal to binge no more than 7 days

Me: 11
    Binge: 6 (9/3; 9/4; 9/7; 9/9; 9/11; 9/12)
  • susiebear29
    Options
    Today;

Binge - 9
    Me - 8 :happy:

Don't feel the urge to binge today am so relieved, hope this feeling continues though!!!
  • susiebear29
    Options

Outstanding!!! Something to be extremely proud of :flowerforyou:

Absolutely AMAZING!!! so pleased for you well done!! :happy:
  • anorangie
    Options
    T, Sep 18, 2012

beatrixia: 13
    The Binge: 5 (9/4, 9/10, 9/12, 9/16, 9/17)
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    As of September 18, 2012: - Goal 25 or more days without binging
    Me - 16
    The Binge - 2 (2,3)