Getting Started

Options

Replies

• lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    After reading through some of these posts, now I'm really confused!
    I see where some of you mentioned that you got through the work-outs in like 30 minutes...that was my first clue that I messed up. I just finished stage 1 A and it took me 2 hours, because I did all the work-outs on the page! Damn I'm really gonna be sore tomorrow! But if I only do 2 sets of 15 reps for each of the 5 exercises listed, that doesn't seem like enough either. Clearly, I don't get it.
    there's a post here on page 3 that really clears it up. i think you and i had the same confusion. workout one of stage one was pretty rough for me because i did WAY more than necessary. i did 2 sets or 15, 2 of 12, 3 of 10, and 3 of 8 for each workout! hahaha. i feel silly now. for your first 2 workouts (A and B) you do 2 sets of 15. for workouts 3 and 4 you do 2 sets of 12, and so on. no wonder i was really feeling the burn after workout 1
  • twowillows
    twowillows Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had the book for awhile..... waiting for the right time, I'm ready to read and give it a go!

Thanks for being here.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just found this group. Yay! I completed my 4th workout today. I'm doing the program 3 days/week, MWF. So today was "B2." I just realized last night exactly how to alternate the workouts. I started lowing the reps last Friday, just totally not "getting it." I think the author should number the Stage 1 workouts from 1 to 16. Call one set of exercises "the odds" and the others "the evens." That way it's clear that you alternate workouts and go in a progression. But also, sometimes I'm just slow on the uptake.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Copied from another site :) It helped me. That initial confusion is universal... LOL

Stage 1

Week 1
    Mon. Workout A –
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise A
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise B1
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise B2
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise C1
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise C2
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    You are now finished with Monday's Workout A, go relax for the rest of the day!

Wed. Workout B –
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Done with Wednesday's Workout B...

Fri. Workout A –
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Done with Friday's Workout A...You have now completed your first week of workouts. The second week would then start with Workout B, as outlined below. I won't go any further at this point. You can continue the formula.

Thank you! It is so confusing and I was starting to write it down then found this!
  • sgwhit
    sgwhit Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I decided I wasn't going to wait. I did the first workout - with alterations since I'm not at the gym, but it was okay. I feel as though I should have been using heavier weights, but I want to ease into it - I can always increase them later.
    Saying that, I'm actually looking forward to Monday's workout B.
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just bought the book a few days ago after reading through a lot of posts about this on this forum, and read it last night. I have a lot of weight to lose, 60 pounds! And I am going to start this today. I also have polycystic kidney disease, so I can't really up my protein THAT much to be a gram per pound of weight! I will need to make a lot of my protein sources non-animal based.

Anyway, is there anyone out there doing this that has a significant amount of weight/fat to lose? I am hoping this works if I follow it and the diet to the carb/protein/fat ratio (is it 40/30/30, i can't remember from the book?). I am so used to being on such a calorie deficit (1200/day) and doing cardio and isolated strength training.

Thanks to anyone for more information or insight.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I saw someone mention a squat rack, and it's necessity, and it gave me a question of my own... My gym does not have a squat rack, but it does have a smith machine; is this an OK substitute? I understand I won't be using nearly as many stabilizing muscles, but is it better than nothing? Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it would be better to stay at a weight you can clear over your head and get to your shoulders and do more reps, or better yet, get a spotter to help you, than use a smith.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bump
    :tongue:
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it would be better to stay at a weight you can clear over your head and get to your shoulders and do more reps, or better yet, get a spotter to help you, than use a smith.

Thank you!
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting your experience. I have my first training session this coming Monday and I was a little hesitant to print out the log and do what you did. I thought he or she was going to think, "why did I have to be the lucky trainer to get this wack job??"

Good luck to you!
  • kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to walk into the gym with my printed workout spreadsheet, plus photocopies of the moves for STage 1, put them in front of the poor unsuspecting trainee instructor who was expecting to design a workout for me and say 'this is what I want you to show me'.

And it was easy. It was late evening so there were few people in the gym, they have a great new weight room downstairs (sadly the lat-pulldown machine is upstairs), and he showed me everything I needed without passing judgement.

no excuses left now!!!!!!

have taken measurements and just photos left to take and we're off!!!

You've encouraged me to do the same as you...bring the copies and ask the trainer to show my how to do it. I had been debating because I didn't want to seem silly :) But if you did it...I will too :) I start on Monday...but I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning to ask the trainer where everything is.
    Thank you for inspiring me :)!!
    Lets do this!!!

Thanks for posting your experience. I have my first training session this coming Monday and I was a little hesitant to print out the log and do what you did. I thought he or she was going to think, "why did I have to be the lucky trainer to get this wack job??"

Good luck to you!
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just started today and hope I can stick with it.
    you CAN do it. CHOOSE to do it! Granted, you may have to choose to do it every single time for awhile, but keep on CHOOSING. YOU CAN DO THIS! :wink:
  • ds233005
    ds233005 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have recently started this program. I just wanted to know how long it usually took people to see results? I totally feel stronger and am able to life heavier now (I am on workout 5B of Phase 1) but I don't see changes yet. I measure myself and also take pictures once a month. I am not complaining at ALL, I am just curious about what others have seen. Thanks!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone! Be sure to join us over in the Daily Chat Thread and join the thread for whatever stage you are on. Those are both great places to connect with everyone else doing this program and ask questions.

ds - I didn't really start noticing differences until Stage 2.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I bought the book a few days ago after days of deliberation if I want to start lifting seriously, until my friends pointed out that lifting 3 x week for 40 min is serious, I just need to make sure it the best use of my time.
    So I caved, bought the book and absolutely love it and excited to start with the program.

I am about half way through the book and trying to wrap my head around the workout schedule. I am not sure if I am just very slow or if others thought it's a bit confusing as well.

Also, anyone following the nutrition plan outlined in the book ? I am thinking of keeping my goal at TDEE - 20 %, or is that to much of a deficit ?

Thanks
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I bought the book a few days ago after days of deliberation if I want to start lifting seriously, until my friends pointed out that lifting 3 x week for 40 min is serious, I just need to make sure it the best use of my time.
    So I caved, bought the book and absolutely love it and excited to start with the program.

I am about half way through the book and trying to wrap my head around the workout schedule. I am not sure if I am just very slow or if others thought it's a bit confusing as well.

Also, anyone following the nutrition plan outlined in the book ? I am thinking of keeping my goal at TDEE - 20 %, or is that to much of a deficit ?

Thanks

Hi there. I see you found the confused thread which answers your question about the workout schedule :smile:
    I've kept at TDEE -20% because I want keep my eating steady and not eat more or less on each day and I do no extra cardio on non lifting days. Haven't lost or gained but I can see my body shape changing. I'm coming to the end of week 3 so can't comment about long term.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Thanks

Hi there. I see you found the confused thread which answers your question about the workout schedule :smile:
    I've kept at TDEE -20% because I want keep my eating steady and not eat more or less on each day and I do no extra cardio on non lifting days. Haven't lost or gained but I can see my body shape changing. I'm coming to the end of week 3 so can't comment about long term.

yes thanks I did find another post on this, glad to see I was not the only one confused :bigsmile:
    I will keep my cardio (40 min per day) but that's only because I hardly move throughout the day ... desks jobs are evil.
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    TWO part question :)

Hi everyone - just started this yesterday - but am doing the "metabolism reset" from the EM2WL group. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get "fat" lol. Anyway, really not sure what the consensus is for Stage 1... cardio on off days or no cardio? Cardio on workout days or no cardio? If you do cardio - eat back the calories to get to your tdee (if doing metabolism reset... have 7 weeks to go before I reduce tdee - 15%). OR should I not bother with the reset and just do TDEE - 15% and eat back anything that dips below BMR? Ugh - this is so confusing, lol. So... light cardio off days, light cardio lifting days, or no cardio for stage 1?

Part 2 - I have a Pacific Fitness Zuma that was given to me... can I use it and dumbbells to do most of this? I can't do a gym right now :/

Thanks in advance!