2nd Trimester

Options

Replies

• cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your prayers. I am on "pelvic rest" and not allowed to do a whole lot more than exist, but so far everything seems to be fine. They heard the babies heartbeat at the ER and at my OB so that is good, I have a ultrasound tomorrow and can't wait to see the little bugger moving around so I can REALLY know everything is OK

Cakes, welcome over to the 2nd trimester. I must have missed your introduction on the 1st trimester page, I will keep you in my prayers that this will be a healthy, full term pregnancy. Your son sounds so adorable!

Welcome to the newbies in the 2nd trimester! (Cakesmooth and phoebe)

Emily- I'm so glad to hear that everything seems fine and that you heard your little one's heartbeat at the ER.
    Wishing you the best at your ultrasound tomorrow - let us know how it goes!! Thinking of you!!

As for me, I suppose I should update!
    I'm doing fantastic. I'm having a boy. When I went to my 19 week ultrasound, he measured 9 days smaller than expected.... but they kept my due date to Feb. 6.

I'm now 23 weeks and 5 days. Time flies!
    I've been going to prenatal yoga. I'm looking forward to doing the prenatal/labour courses at the hospital. I think that my weight gain is somewhat under control (I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying this). I have my glucose blood screening test (for gestational diabetes) in a few weeks and I'm a lil nervous about that.

I keep on getting told by non-experts that I might need a C-section because I have very narrow hips (I'm an apple shaped person). This is making me nervous and it is something that I'd like to discuss with my doc at my next appointment.

Otherwise, I finished painting my little one's room and we bought a crib.

Also, I've received a few gifts already but I should be receiving more as my mother has organised a baby shower (so excited!) for me!! YAY!! I have some surprisingly generous relatives. One of which bought us our stroller/car seat, another who is getting a playpen, my brother bought us the crib and I think my parents are buying the baby rooms furniture (desk/drawer, change table). My MIL got us a baby seat, a humidifier, the crib skirt and fitted mattress sheets and a whole bunch of odds and ends! This is soooo exciting! ...and Christmas isn't even here yet!

how wow, sounds exciting to get soo many baby gifts! I bet its really setting in with having furniture and getting the nursery ready. I am so excited to finally have my little boy in my arms, but I am kinda nervous at the same time since I have a 2.5yr old. Not sure how she will react the the changes.
    you can bring it up at the Dr if it worries you that you have narrow hips. I realized after losing 50lbs that my hips are pretty narrow as well but still had a fairly easy delivery with my daughter's birth. When pregnant with her I didn't see my hips, LOL. I was really chubby!
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hope everything is going well now!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    hi ladies, I am moving on the the 3rd tri group! see you all there!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options

'm going to try going for a walk to two soon to see how I end up feeling, if I spend too much time on my feet I get dizzy but I need to get back into working out or at least moving! I'm also gonna talk to my doc about prenatal yoga and pilates videos. Anyone know any good ones? I have resigned myself to not being "allowed" to REALLY work out which is hard for me but it's good to know it's for a good reason!

I have Shiva Rea's prenatal yoga dvd and I like it. There are two other ladies in the video doing the workout representing all three trimesters, and has modifications for each trimester, so really you can do as much or as little as you want.

Hi everyone. I was around the very beginning of pregnancy but nausea took over my healthy eating when the only thing I could bare to eat were carbs. Carbs started the slippery slope of backsliding and had already gained 16 lbs by last week's appt. I'm technically obese so that's what I should have gained for the whole pregnancy. Started back on the healthy habits and my weight seems to be stabilizing a week later. It's so weird because I'm eating ~2000 cals a day and feeling full/not wanting anymore. (My goal is higher at 2300). I guess I really was just eating a lot of junk junk junk.

Oh, and I'm 17 weeks today. :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your prayers. I am on "pelvic rest" and not allowed to do a whole lot more than exist, but so far everything seems to be fine. They heard the babies heartbeat at the ER and at my OB so that is good, I have a ultrasound tomorrow and can't wait to see the little bugger moving around so I can REALLY know everything is OK

Cakes, welcome over to the 2nd trimester. I must have missed your introduction on the 1st trimester page, I will keep you in my prayers that this will be a healthy, full term pregnancy. Your son sounds so adorable!

Welcome to the newbies in the 2nd trimester! (Cakesmooth and phoebe)

Emily- I'm so glad to hear that everything seems fine and that you heard your little one's heartbeat at the ER.
    Wishing you the best at your ultrasound tomorrow - let us know how it goes!! Thinking of you!!

As for me, I suppose I should update!
    I'm doing fantastic. I'm having a boy. When I went to my 19 week ultrasound, he measured 9 days smaller than expected.... but they kept my due date to Feb. 6.

I'm now 23 weeks and 5 days. Time flies!
    I've been going to prenatal yoga. I'm looking forward to doing the prenatal/labour courses at the hospital. I think that my weight gain is somewhat under control (I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying this). I have my glucose blood screening test (for gestational diabetes) in a few weeks and I'm a lil nervous about that.

I keep on getting told by non-experts that I might need a C-section because I have very narrow hips (I'm an apple shaped person). This is making me nervous and it is something that I'd like to discuss with my doc at my next appointment.

Otherwise, I finished painting my little one's room and we bought a crib.

Also, I've received a few gifts already but I should be receiving more as my mother has organised a baby shower (so excited!) for me!! YAY!! I have some surprisingly generous relatives. One of which bought us our stroller/car seat, another who is getting a playpen, my brother bought us the crib and I think my parents are buying the baby rooms furniture (desk/drawer, change table). My MIL got us a baby seat, a humidifier, the crib skirt and fitted mattress sheets and a whole bunch of odds and ends! This is soooo exciting! ...and Christmas isn't even here yet!

YAY! Congrats! :smile: All good news!
  • doubletnurse
    doubletnurse Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well I am officially starting my 2nd trimester today and wanted to drop in and say hi! I am 14 weeks today with our second and the first trimester seemed to drag on. I dealt with constant nausea and exhaustion, but no throwing up, from weeks 6 to 12. I am now feeling better, but still tire easily after doing house and yard work. I have gained about 4-5 # depending on the day. Not my favorite, but I guess that what happens when all you can eat is carbs for 6 weeks and are too exhausted to even try to log your food. The good news is baby looked great on my ultrasound at 11 weeks and I go back in to see my OB next week.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Well I am officially starting my 2nd trimester today and wanted to drop in and say hi! I am 14 weeks today with our second and the first trimester seemed to drag on. I dealt with constant nausea and exhaustion, but no throwing up, from weeks 6 to 12. I am now feeling better, but still tire easily after doing house and yard work. I have gained about 4-5 # depending on the day. Not my favorite, but I guess that what happens when all you can eat is carbs for 6 weeks and are too exhausted to even try to log your food. The good news is baby looked great on my ultrasound at 11 weeks and I go back in to see my OB next week.

First trimester was awful for me too. I didn't have any nausea, but I was exhausted all day and night. Things should ease up in a few weeks. Congrats on your baby!
  • meluc
    meluc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    New to this thread as well. I'm 16 weeks and I've gained 10.8 lbs already. I'm hoping to gain around 25 lbs, but my first trimester gain was quite high. It's slowing down a bit now.

I knew carbs would do a number on my weight gain, but the last few weeks I've actually lost 1.4 lbs. I'm not starving myself or trying to limit calorie intake, I just think I'm making better food choices now that I can stomach other food.

So far our ultrasound showed baby was doing well. Hoping to find out the gender on Nov 19th. We have a 4 year old daughter and we're really just wishing for another healthy child.

Hope you are all doing well Moms!!
    Melissa
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    We had a second US last week at 15 weeks. The veteran tech says for sure it's a boy! The best news is that he is healthy, normal, and everything is how and where it should be. Placenta is on top and my boy was head down. Yesterday I woke up looking pregnant and not just tubby & wide. I also felt some heaviness between my hips and found myself tipping back when walking to counter my front weight. Anatomy US in a few weeks. I am 16 w 5 d today. I've gained significant weight these last few weeks. I only have 6 pounds left for these next 10 weeks so I need to slow down on the junk & binging. Anyone else binging and eating naughty?
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We had a second US last week at 15 weeks. The veteran tech says for sure it's a boy! The best news is that he is healthy, normal, and everything is how and where it should be. Placenta is on top and my boy was head down. Yesterday I woke up looking pregnant and not just tubby & wide. I also felt some heaviness between my hips and found myself tipping back when walking to counter my front weight. Anatomy US in a few weeks. I am 16 w 5 d today. I've gained significant weight these last few weeks. I only have 6 pounds left for these next 10 weeks so I need to slow down on the junk & binging. Anyone else binging and eating naughty?

Way to go on the healthy baby boy!
    During my first first trimester, when I had initially found out that I was pregnant, I automatically changed my mind set and was "eating for 2". I was eating everything that passed under my nose... pizza, fries, chips, cake, ice cream, you name it, it went down the trap. I also gained lots in my first trimester (10+ lbs) ...I then started to realise that it wasn't a good idea and started to track my intake again. This is my last week in my 2nd trimester and I gained less in this trimester than I did in my first! 10lbs in first trimester and 8.5lbs in my second, thus far.

I have my 1 hour glucose gestational diabetes test this week - wish me luck! :)
    I hear lots of people fail this test..... but then pass the 2nd follow-up test.... hope that`s not the case for me!
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Had my 26 week appointment with my obstetrician and he says I am doing everything right, I only gained 1 pound in the last 30 days. But when he mesured the baby, he said he was a BIG boy, he wants me to take a test to see if I have gestational diabetes, I am a bit worried. He told me it could be that or that I just make big babies, my other son was 9.3lbs and I had gained 23lbs total. What happens if I do have gestational diabetes? Anyone know if it makes a difference what I eat the day before the test?
  • lpaloma
    lpaloma Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Leslie, I just joined this group. And figured I should add myself to this discussion since I just started my second trimester. (14wks 3 days) I hope to gain some new friends around here. To keep me motivated, and honest. I hope you are all doing well. I look forward to getting to know you ladies.....:smile:
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    welcome lpaloma! How did the first trimester treat you?

Licha-any work on the gestational diabetes? I don't know how any of that works.

AFM-I have been super emotional lately! Yesterday I started crying about our move back to CA b/c we might (probably) will end up living with family for a while and at first I thought it was a great idea but now i'm not so excited about it. I also cried b/c I wanted to go out to dinner and a movie but we already had plans (hubs ended up canceling the plans so we could go out...he's so good to me!) I've been feeling the baby move a lot which is awesome! I can't wait unitl Hubs can feel it...tomorrow will be 18 weeks :)
  • dbaumgarn
    Options
    Heard the best sound yesterday....my baby's stong and healthy heart beat!!! Average beats per minute...141..what do you think girls??? Boy or Girl??!!! 17 weeks 3 days along!
  • dbaumgarn
    Options

Way to go on the healthy baby boy!
    During my first first trimester, when I had initially found out that I was pregnant, I automatically changed my mind set and was "eating for 2". I was eating everything that passed under my nose... pizza, fries, chips, cake, ice cream, you name it, it went down the trap. I also gained lots in my first trimester (10+ lbs) ...I then started to realise that it wasn't a good idea and started to track my intake again. This is my last week in my 2nd trimester and I gained less in this trimester than I did in my first! 10lbs in first trimester and 8.5lbs in my second, thus far.

I have my 1 hour glucose gestational diabetes test this week - wish me luck! :)
    I hear lots of people fail this test..... but then pass the 2nd follow-up test.... hope that`s not the case for me!

I was on a very bad streak...starting today I vowed to put nothing but healthy food in my mouth...so far so good!!! You can do this!!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Had my 26 week appointment with my obstetrician and he says I am doing everything right, I only gained 1 pound in the last 30 days. But when he mesured the baby, he said he was a BIG boy, he wants me to take a test to see if I have gestational diabetes, I am a bit worried. He told me it could be that or that I just make big babies, my other son was 9.3lbs and I had gained 23lbs total. What happens if I do have gestational diabetes? Anyone know if it makes a difference what I eat the day before the test?

Do you have a history of gestational diabetes? Or anyone in your family who has had it? If not, and you just tend to have big babies, I wouldn't get TOO concerned. However, I would say to eat normal the day before, so that they can get an accurate reading. But really, it probably doesn't matter, because they often make you drink a sugary drink and then do tests after that to determine how your body reacts. If you do have it, don't freak out. My friend had it with both her kids, and she just followed a very easy diet to manage it. She gained the right amount, and had healthy babies and healthy deliveries. So hang in there. I think doctors have a tendency to just expect the worst. Some of us, like me (first baby was 8 lbs 12 oz, second was 9 lbs 3 oz), just have big babies!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone- I am coming over from the first trimester group! I am 14 weeks as of yesterday, and totally thrilled to have made it to my second trimester! Quick intro- this is my 5th pregnancy. I have two living children, ages 5 1/2 and 3 1/2, and I have had two miscarriages. Both miscarriages were before 8 weeks. Everything looks great with this baby, and it even measured a bit bigger than expected at my initial ultrasound.
    I am a runner, I love to ride bikes, roller blade, skateboard, hike, and walk. But at my first prenatal appointment, my doctor diagnosed me with a pelvic organ prolapse. So right now, I can only do low-impact exercises that don't jar things around or put pressure on my uterus, etc. It's been a big change, and it has been hard to adjust. Compared to what I was doing before, my new workouts feel really wimpy. My calorie burns are much lower than most peoples, so I think my friends tend to skip over them, not realizing that I have to work really hard just for those "small" numbers.
    I would love to meet other pregnant Moms! I added a few a while ago, but very rarely heard from them. So if you are an encouraging person, I could really use the extra encouragement right now, and I will do my best to encourage you as well! I hope you are all having happy, healthy pregnancies!
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Do you have a history of gestational diabetes? Or anyone in your family who has had it? If not, and you just tend to have big babies, I wouldn't get TOO concerned. However, I would say to eat normal the day before, so that they can get an accurate reading. But really, it probably doesn't matter, because they often make you drink a sugary drink and then do tests after that to determine how your body reacts. If you do have it, don't freak out. My friend had it with both her kids, and she just followed a very easy diet to manage it. She gained the right amount, and had healthy babies and healthy deliveries. So hang in there. I think doctors have a tendency to just expect the worst. Some of us, like me (first baby was 8 lbs 12 oz, second was 9 lbs 3 oz), just have big babies!

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping not to get a call. Now it's just to wait and see. Haven't really had a chance lately to really stress about it, cause I've been busy with report cards!
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    this week (18) has been super hard for me! I'm feeling emotional and fat, and everything's crazy with my job and man I just want to bang my head on a wall. I was looking at the weights and stuff and so many of you have these beautiful bumps and I feel like I'm just fat. I look in the mirror and a stranger MIGHT think I was pregnant but i think most would not say anything just in case. :( *pout

sorry to be all pouty, I just needed to dump that!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You are hitting that rough time where people (and yourself) don't know whether you're just packing on the pounds or whether you're pregnant. I promise this will change soon and you'll have the cutest bump ever. Its temporary. I know that in my first trimester and early in my second, I would have total break downs, crying and all that I was just getting fat. My poor boyfriend had to deal with this sometimes on a daily basis.
    I now know that its not true and that it was mostly baby bump..... there's nothing I can do to make you feel better, but just know that this is a phase of pregnancy that most women go through.