It begins

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Lets keep that in mind and be respectful regardless ones views on the election outcomes or issues.
    Thank you and good night.

I think we Single Peeps did a great job of being nice to another! I did not see any attacking anywhere, only thoughtful discussion! Unlike the main forums...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I was mostly nice. Besides, I get to be snarky because I don't like either one of them.

But I do wonder, looking at the election map, why all the big cattle states went for the guy who claims he'll make government smaller and cut spending. Don't they know how bad off they'll be if water subsidies get cut and their beef prices shoot up to a hundred bucks a pound?

As a low carber and big meat eater, I'm against ending government handouts.

And with that, I'm signing out. Have a good night, all.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the part that only mentions two parties.

False dichotomy. VOTE THIRD PARTY! Wooooo

I did agree with the message intent though. I do get frustrated when people are too busy being blind to see that good and bad can come from anywhere.

Completely agree with this. Two party system in America is broken. No real choice.

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    No real choice, but of the two bad candidates in a broken and corrupt system, the least bad guy won. So yay. I guess...

Now back to business as usual...

--P
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So the question is:

Since I was told repeatedly by "mainstream (lol) republicans" that voting for Ron Paul, or supporting him

during the primary would be "wasting my vote (lol)", can I now laugh at every Mittens fan and tell them

they "wasted their vote"?

On a serious note I seriously weep for this country that believes one man can change our situation,

without actually addressing the main issue, the Central Bank.

Maybe people will learn their lesson so in four years we can actually nominate, you know...

a real conservative.

Or maybe people will finally embrace the Libertarian Party and not worry about

being on the "winning team" so they can root for their favorite politician on "gameday"!

EDIT: I am tired of the Red versus Blue propaganda that is spewed in this country.

I seriously wish people would stop treating politics as if it is football.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Somewhat relieved by the result, because of the potential international implications of a Romney win, though not a huge Obama supporter. Like others here I'm socially fairly liberal (at least in US terms!) and fiscally rather conservative (this mostly works well enough in the UK because the two main parties are both fairly centrist). Still holding out hope for a Clinton 2016 ticket, though. Now that's a campaign I could get excited about! :tongue:

Whatever the outcome could have been, I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of the OP. Time for some bipartisan (or tripartisan, perhaps!) cooperation, methinks.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm watching US 2012 - live in Ohio at present,

Obama 3
    Romney 19

Good Luck America, may the best man win! :flowerforyou:

You are in Ohio? What part?
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Didn't vote.. really don't like either of the parties. And also, I filed for my absentee ballot in the wrong state (got confused with moving here from Oklahoma and still paying state taxes to Ohio while living in Mississippi). Oh well. I woulda voted for Gary Johnson anyway. Had Ron Paul had even a sliver of a chance I would have tried harder so I could have voted for him.

I wonder if the medicinal marijuana law passed in Arkansas (my home state).. my mom was pretty excited about that one.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i think i love you!
    So the question is:

Since I was told repeatedly by "mainstream (lol) republicans" that voting for Ron Paul, or supporting him

during the primary would be "wasting my vote (lol)", can I now laugh at every Mittens fan and tell them

they "wasted their vote"?

On a serious note I seriously weep for this country that believes one man can change our situation,

without actually addressing the main issue, the Central Bank.

Maybe people will learn their lesson so in four years we can actually nominate, you know...

a real conservative.

Or maybe people will finally embrace the Libertarian Party and not worry about

being on the "winning team" so they can root for their favorite politician on "gameday"!

EDIT: I am tired of the Red versus Blue propaganda that is spewed in this country.

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

Obama 3
    Romney 19

No, sorry Kristen, I'm in London, UK. I was watching Ohio live on the TV!!! lol

YaY Obama!! I just can't imagine how a Mormon with anti abortion laws and anti gay rights could run a world wide, dominant country such as America. There is no empathy, and far too much bias, for the majority and I think any leader needs that, regardless of his social/fiscal standing.

No offence against Mormons whatsoever! But it would be like having a Muslim lead the UK. Just totally different mindset on the majority of lifestyle. He would be banning coffee next? :noway: :flowerforyou:

BTW whoever asked, UK campaigns are backed by donations in the main - both private and corporate plus trade union membership. We dont have wealthy individuals running for parliament. Although there is a lot of controversy over who and how much is donated to which party and the ensuing 'perks' for doing so!! :huh:

Still, as much as we have a visual 3rd party (Liberal Democrats), who is in a coalition government now (Liberals+ Conservative) and many Independants, it's still very much a 2 horse race between Labour (Democrats) and Conservative (Republicans), as is yours.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

YES! Thank you.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Alot of "hatin'" happening on Facebook today. Just like everything else media-related in this election, it is excessive.

Regardless of your opinions, how you voted or your party affiliation, we are still Americans (a few of us here anyway) and in this together. Just don't see any reason in being so negative and hateful.

I'm sticking with MFP today....its way better anyway. :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

Obama 3
    Romney 19

No, sorry Kristen, I'm in London, UK. I was watching Ohio live on the TV!!! lol

YaY Obama!! I just can't imagine how a Mormon with anti abortion laws and anti gay rights could run a world wide, dominant country such as America. There is no empathy, and far too much bias, for the majority and I think any leader needs that, regardless of his social/fiscal standing.

No offence against Mormons whatsoever! But it would be like having a Muslim lead the UK. Just totally different mindset on the majority of lifestyle. He would be banning coffee next? :noway: :flowerforyou:

BTW whoever asked, UK campaigns are backed by donations in the main - both private and corporate plus trade union membership. We dont have wealthy individuals running for parliament. Although there is a lot of controversy over who and how much is donated to which party and the ensuing 'perks' for doing so!! :huh:

Still, as much as we have a visual 3rd party (Liberal Democrats), who is in a coalition government now (Liberals+ Conservative) and many Independants, it's still very much a 2 horse race between Labour (Democrats) and Conservative (Republicans), as is yours.

AH, I see. I was starting to get excited there...LOL I thought maybe you were on holiday! Why you'd be in Ohio of all places I don't know...:tongue:

IMO, someone so "Conservative" couldn't really achieve anything in the US. There'd always be someone or something standing in their way. What I'm surprised by though, is how close the race was. All I know is I'd rather have the devil I know...
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that the two main parties in the UK are both fairly centrist, in comparison to the US (particularly the Conservative/Republican comparison - the 'Tories' (conservatives) are infinitely less socially-conservative, in the main, than their US equivalents, though they share some fiscal philosophy - again generally less-extreme)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    AH, I see. I was starting to get excited there...LOL I thought maybe you were on holiday! Why you'd be in Ohio of all places I don't know...:tongue:

IMO, someone so "Conservative" couldn't really achieve anything in the US. There'd always be someone or something standing in their way. What I'm surprised by though, is how close the race was. All I know is I'd rather have the devil I know...

Gosh! If/when I visit America I just dont know where I'd go first!! I've met so many gorgeous people on here from all over the country, I'd want to meet you all! :bigsmile:

I agree. I dont think there's any place in America or UK for far right politics anymore. The world has progressed; the class systems deminishing, the wealth is spreading, the population is diluting/mixing, equal rights etc etc etc...........we live in a different world to that of 100 years ago. Thankfully!! :flowerforyou:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

Obama 3
    Romney 19

Right now, it's actually Obama 3 Romney 8. Just wanted to clarify!

We're showing 3 - 24 now!! lol Never trust the media, they're holding back on you!! :wink:
    It was just updated, it should be getting updated more frequently now.

what ya got? what ya got?? We just showed 56 Obama - 40 Romney :bigsmile:

I keep thinking of Jenbit when they mention Florida - hey Jen, have you voted yet?? Hurry up, and dont keep us waiting for days!!! :laugh:

LOL I voted Anna. Apperantly all of Florida voted lol. When Obama accepted they still hadnt finished tallying the votes here. I just stayed away from the internet last night it was safest.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    When the votes have been tallied, I don't want to hear people talking about moving to Canada, rooting for the country to fail so we can blame the leader, or any other crazy talk. This is America...we stand TOGETHER to face our problems. I truly believe both candidates love our country and their families. They are generally good people at the core. Don't spread rumors and lies about them on Facebook, don't photoshop pictures of them to make them look foolish, and don't dismiss their ideas just because they come from the "other" party. You can disagree without disrespecting. No matter who wins, let's unite behind a leader, pray for everyone, and trust that God is in control.

The optimist in me wants to stand up and start clapping

But the realist in me wants to go to the facts:

We just had a 50/50 popular vote on two paths for America that couldn't be further apart. In fact the only thing I heard the two agree on was the handling of the war and killing Bin laden.

Our election was completely decided on Sex and Race... we are suppose to be further along than this.
    -some of the audio and video feeds I heard leading up to election day were enough to make me want to puke... this is an actual quote from an 8 year old African American boy "we need Obama to win, because if Romney wins he's going to send us back to the fields." It's just terrible to me to think that kid actually fears this could happen. And the media makes it no better, all I heard all night was the black vote this the white vote that...
    -The main issue for women centered around their V-jays.... wasn't there a women's movement a few decades ago to say women were more than this??

They say every vote counts... yet I look at the electoral college and see a blow out... I look at the popular vote and see it neck and neck

This country is completely split, Moderation might be dead and unfortunately history shows it takes something terrible to bring us all back together.

I really don't think anyone won yesterday.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Poncho, I think the women's issue was largely about our reproductive rights because they're being threatened. There was a legitimate chance that Roe v. Wade could have been overturned and abortion rights could have been overturned. Coupled with the fact that some people like Todd Akin think there is "legitimate rape," we need a strong women's rights leader in the White House. Obama's plan gives free yearly reproductive exams too which is a huge, awesome thing! Cancer of reproductive organs will now be caught earlier because women can get these exams.

Just my two cents. :)

Although I lean democratic, I would vote for a Republican if they were as big into women's rights as Democrats were.

We didn't need a president who made sure the female staffer from his binders full of women could be home by 5 for dinner every night.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Poncho, I think the women's issue was largely about our reproductive rights because they're being threatened. There was a legitimate chance that Roe v. Wade could have been overturned and abortion rights could have been overturned. Coupled with the fact that some people like Todd Akin think there is "legitimate rape," we need a strong women's rights leader in the White House. Obama's plan gives free yearly reproductive exams too which is a huge, awesome thing! Cancer of reproductive organs will now be caught earlier because women can get these exams.

Yeah this is important compared to the devaluing of our currency and the rampant wars going on.....

right?

EDIT: might be my last post before my head explodes
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

A President can't overturn Roe vs. Wade.