Hypo-what's your worst symptom?

Options

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    In 2002 the AACE had issued a public document indicating that the new range for TSH (for everyone, not just those on meds) was .3-3.0. Interestingly it seems like that document is now gone??

I would ask your doctor to test your free T3 and free T4, as TSH doesn't tell the whole story.
  • katoato
    katoato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    They've sadly retracted that stance. If you look at the latest set of guidelines, I believe it's something like a TSH over 10 needs mandatory treatment, and a TSH over 5 should be treated at the doctor's discretion (IIRC, something similar to this). Huge step back IMHO.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    They've sadly retracted that stance. If you look at the latest set of guidelines, I believe it's something like a TSH over 10 needs mandatory treatment, and a TSH over 5 should be treated at the doctor's discretion (IIRC, something similar to this). Huge step back IMHO.

Ah, that's right - that whole publication is just terrifying and sets us back decades. :(
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Woah, that's news to me. I always toot my horn about my endo because he's a "big deal" in the community (he took me on as a special case as a kid, in fact)... and he still treats by the .3-3.00 stance, and he's amazing because he's also a very much "treat you by how you feel" endo.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I usually have no sympotoms but the worst I have in the past few years is no energy/fatigue. I am a high energy person and when my thyroid is off, I get very tired.
  • Aprilwmitchell2010
    Options
    Vertigo, Forgetfulness (I will be driving and totally forget how I got there or where I'm going), weight, mega dry skin, Irritable at even the littlest thing
  • FindingTam
    FindingTam Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WOW! I feel so very blessed!! After reading so very many of these posts, I know I am blessed!! I have a few light symptoms but nothing like what I've read that some of you suffer. I'm so sorry that you all suffer these many complications!!

I do suffer slight weight gain, slight mood swings, fatigue or lack of energy, dry skin and increase of facial hair (which I hate), but these are light symptoms compared to a lot that I have read.

I'll keep this "Group" in my thoughts and prayers.
  • MsMelissaG
    MsMelissaG Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Fatigue
    Joint Problems
    Vertigo
    Lack of weight loss
    Sometimes I get terrible night sweats but sometimes I'm freezing during the day

:frown:
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ug...well...my symptoms have switched up...now my worst symptom is the fact that my right eye looks like it wants to pop out of my head...thyroid eye disease... :( On a lighter note, the constipation is no longer an issue... :(
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    To those that suffer or have suffered hair loss, is there anything to treat it? Has anyone had substantial hair loss and then found something to diminish it? Would Armour over Levothyroxine, for example, make an impact on the hair loss?

regarding hair loss, i have thick hair and a lot of it. i lose a lot of hair on a daily basis, but because i have so much it's not noticeable. I started taking Biotin 1000mcg on a daily basis and have noticed that I do not lose as much hair and that my nails also have been growing stronger.

Maybe this might help for those that are suffering brittle nails and/or hair loss.

You can order Nioxin hair systems from Amazon.com that will treat the hair loss as well and may help to correct the problem. talk to your stylist. :)
  • candygirl1980
    Options
    brain fog, lack of concentration, insomnia. For constipation I take 2 chelated magnesium tablets twice a day, helps tremendously! I also drink alot of water as well.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use diet and vitamins to help with many of the challenging symptoms of hypothyroidism. Best bet is to do things as natural as possible as chemicals make it harder for the body to do what it needs to. Vitamin B Complex is a MUST for oxygenating the blood (helps with symptoms of exhaustion). Vitamin B12, Vitamin D and D3 (something most of us in North America should take), Vitamin E, and Zinc. I DO NOT clean my home with chemicals (I use ENJO products) and I make my own laundry soap with products that our grandparents used (again, no chemicals). Sadly though, I have found nothing that helps with the cold other then summer! I LOVE the heat! I do take medication but I'm on the lowest dose and my Dr. encourages me to continue combating symptoms chemical/drug free. Good luck to all.....its a tough disorder but I hope you find some relief!:smile:
  • akurtz102
    Options
    Debilitating fatigue, brain fog, constant cold, even in the summer time and the hair loss. I take 10,000mcg of biotin and am in the market for a new D3 as that is essential with hashi's. And to be real honest, depression and lack of libido :-(
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't know where I've been living, but I've had vertigo for years and never realized it had to do with thyroid (probably my own fault, because I never brought it up to the doctor/thought it wasn't... that abnormal?).

So I guess I'd say: vertigo, difficulty losing weight, and sparsity of hair IN MY EYEBROWS.

It's very vain, and I'm lucky that my hair is so thick that, if anything, my hair looks better with this constant "thinning"... but my eyebrows are such an embarrassment for me. (my profile pic is with them heavily filled in by a professional...)

Whoaaaaaa - I have had situational vertigo for some time now and had no idea it was related!!! Second that on the eyebrows too!
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You all have named everything that I HATE about this disease, I went to the doctor yesterday and they are increasing my meds once again..Wish me luck, SIGH!!! :frown:
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know where I've been living, but I've had vertigo for years and never realized it had to do with thyroid (probably my own fault, because I never brought it up to the doctor/thought it wasn't... that abnormal?).

So I guess I'd say: vertigo, difficulty losing weight, and sparsity of hair IN MY EYEBROWS.

It's very vain, and I'm lucky that my hair is so thick that, if anything, my hair looks better with this constant "thinning"... but my eyebrows are such an embarrassment for me. (my profile pic is with them heavily filled in by a professional...)

Whoaaaaaa - I have had situational vertigo for some time now and had no idea it was related!!! Second that on the eyebrows too!

I had idea about the eyebrows. Mine are super thin too. hmm
  • islandmonkey
    Options

I had idea about the eyebrows. Mine are super thin too. hmm

It's generally a loss of hair on the outer 1/3 of your eyebrows that is classic thyroid symptom (hypo or hyper).
  • kats3boys
    Options
    Right now, getting comfortable enough to sleep is the worst. ( thyroid is tender and it hurts when the pillow touches it).
    When my numbers are off light sensitivity is a dead give away. If I eat too much sodium( iodine) I will get a hyper dump and those are the worst ..tremor, loss of strength across the shoulders.

I did not spend much time hypo but it was made worse because my iron was really low and the symptoms over lap.
  • Hlthy4Good
    Hlthy4Good Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also use Biotin and find it helps with hair loss. I am not great at remembering to take vitamins, and I can tell when I haven't taken the Biotin because of all the hair in the shower drain.
  • Hlthy4Good
    Hlthy4Good Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Difficulty losing weight is by far my worst symptom. I exercise and eat well and the scale just doesn't move. I have to admit, that gets frustrating and I "slack off" on my good habits. It's so hard to measure and weigh all my food and make healthy choices (whole wheat pasta, fruits, veggies, salads, etc) when the results are only slightly better than if I were to eat out at restaurants and drink beer :-) I must say, the extra weight has such a negative impact on me and my quality of life - low self confidence, I often avoid social situations especially reunion-type ones.

I also suffer from hair loss, exhaustion (I rarely make it past 9pm), mood swings.

That said, yesterday the doctor switched me to Armour and doubled my dose. My bloodwork was fine, but because I am so symptomatic still, he is trying this to see if it makes a difference. I have read some good things about this drug on MFP so I am hoping this is what I need to get back on track. I wish us all luck!!