February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
New month, new thread. Goals for the month? Or whatever?

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Today workout A came around again and I managed:
    Squat: 45kg (99lbs - next time is over 100!)
    Bench: 30kg (66lbs)
    Row: 32.5 kg (71.5lbs)

For some reason, I wasn't really feeling it - maybe it was waiting around for the squat rack than I had expected for a Sat afternoon.

I read in another thread about the problem of wearing running shoes whilst lifting. Today my weigh was such that I started to notice how it made me tilt in my squat, so I went for it and did my sets without my shoes and noticed a big difference. Thanks for the tip!
  • JBG1987
    Options
    My goal this month is to lose 10lbs lifting and running.

I also want to continue to add 5-10lbs a workout through the next week and then start to modify (deload).
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Love the name!
  • tameko2
    Options
    My goal this month is to lose 10lbs lifting and running.

I also want to continue to add 5-10lbs a workout through the next week and then start to modify (deload).

why do you want to deload? If you can add, keep adding.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah they do. :glasses:

Goal: to lift 11 times this month. I have a pregnant, not-working-out friend coming in for a week, so I want to make sure I don't let that derail me. I've had success in the past with hitting numbers when I announce them to the universe, so there's the number.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Shambling a bit today. Came back to the program Tuesday after a 6 week break to focus on completing Zombies, RUN! 5K Trainer. Some soreness yesterday, but lifted again last night anyway. Didn't deload near enough on my squat to compensate for the break, judging by the incredible PAIN in my hamstrings today.

Every time I have to endure this, I remind myself that the easiest way to prevent beginning soreness is QUIT STOPPING!!!!

Trying to continue with the running along with the lifting, three times a week each, alternate days. Yes, that means I have to run tonight. <<<wimper>>>

Advil + Foam Roller = my best friends for the next several days!

And I love the topic name, too!
  • tameko2
    Options
    if time and energy allows, you might want to try running AFTER you lift and then having genuine rest days in between. IF not every day, then some days.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    if time and energy allows, you might want to try running AFTER you lift and then having genuine rest days in between. IF not every day, then some days.

Interesting. Can you say more? This would make my life significantly easier, but I feel like I've always read to limit my cardio on lifting days.
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Interesting. Can you say more? This would make my life significantly easier, but I feel like I've always read to limit my cardio on lifting days.

I'd like to know this as well!!
  • tameko2
    Options

Leg strain, mostly. You're not giving them a break and your squats will start to suffer from it. I mean, this is assuming that your primary exercise goals are strength improvement. Your runs are gonna suffer from doing them after you are tired from lifting though, so .... yeah. Its a choice you have to make.

Also like everything, results vary by both individual and situation. Some individuals do better recovery one way vs the other, and someone who has been running a long time will probably not feel like running is all that leg-straining provided they aren't doing something ultra strenuous like hill sprints or stairs and provided they aren't doing abnormally high mileage (like pushing their mileage up). but someone who just finished a 5k program and is working on increasing mileage probably still finds it pretty hard on the legs - so in that case you're talking about 6 days of leg strain a week. Pretty brutal. Even people who squat daily (yes its true) don't do maximal days every day, they do lighter sets and heavy sets and minimal sets and what not.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hm, haven't really thought about February goals. It's an even 4 weeks, which will put me through week 7 of the program, but I'm starting to limit the weight that I'm adding. I guess instead of weights, my goal is to not miss a workout (especially for **** reasons). I also want my *kitten* to be smaller :laugh:
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    my goal is 10-15 lbs loss plus 10-20 pounds added to my lifting amount

question : so far SL has been no struggle but I know as I progress so will the challenge. but remember I'm also triathlon training and each week something suffers because basically I try to lift Mon Wed Fri then do swimming , cycling and running Tues Thurs Sat . Do you think I would be ok doing swimming AFTER SLs on M-W- F? so far I know I couldn't do it before but I'm not totally pooped after. my only long swimming day is Saturdays when I gave lessons. in Tues & Thurs I focus on breathing and strike technique meaning I don't worry about laps on those days. thoughts?
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Im just starting this program today. So lets go with a goal of 2 lb losts and 1/2" off my abdomen.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yay February thread!!

My goals this month: walk over 10,000 steps every single day. keep weightlifting. Use my aerobics groupon that I got for Christmas. When that is finished, I think I might look into zumba and/or self defense classes. Keep decreasing bodyfat, especially on my thighs and butt.

I did workout A last night and it was not great.
    1) I was supposed to go up to 60 pounds but I messed up and realized I only did 55 pounds for the squat and row again lol :D
    2) I'm lifting at home and we have the bench and bar and plates, but no squat rack (small 1-bedroom apartment, no room). This wasn't a problem when the weight was lighter but I may need a rack to keep increasing the weight. So on the bench press I switched from a bar to dumbells, and I couldn't get 60 pounds up because dumbells are harder to balance. So I deloaded to 50 pounds to work on the form. I don't want to pay for a gym membership so this was discouraging.
    3) Now today, my shoulder and neck are hurting and my arm and hand are tingling. I've had radiculopathy/muscle spasms in that area for 7 years, and I'm concerned that doing Stronglifts is going to make it worse again. So I don't know what to do. My main goal is to lose body fat in my thighs and butt, and everyone (you guys and others) say lifting heavy is the way to do that. But I'm not sure I can or should be lifting heavy with my shoulder problem. I just googled "weightlifting and pinched nerve" and a lot of people on the bodybuilding.com forums said you simply shouldn't be lifting.

So I'm frustrated - your thoughts/help are welcome please. If there are other things I can do to reach my goal I'd love to know.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I restarted the program this week so my goals this time are to finish the program and to get back to the weights I was lifting when I quit the last time. I was having problems in my right hip/lower back that was exacerbated by squats and deadlifts. I found some stretches that have really helped and I'm planning on walking more to keep things loose. My other, non-strength related goal is to close out my diary everyday. I almost always fill it out but don't always close it.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

Leg strain, mostly. You're not giving them a break and your squats will start to suffer from it. I mean, this is assuming that your primary exercise goals are strength improvement. Your runs are gonna suffer from doing them after you are tired from lifting though, so .... yeah. Its a choice you have to make.

Also like everything, results vary by both individual and situation. Some individuals do better recovery one way vs the other, and someone who has been running a long time will probably not feel like running is all that leg-straining provided they aren't doing something ultra strenuous like hill sprints or stairs and provided they aren't doing abnormally high mileage (like pushing their mileage up). but someone who just finished a 5k program and is working on increasing mileage probably still finds it pretty hard on the legs - so in that case you're talking about 6 days of leg strain a week. Pretty brutal. Even people who squat daily (yes its true) don't do maximal days every day, they do lighter sets and heavy sets and minimal sets and what not.

After graduating from the 5k trainer, I hoped I could run 2mi, minimum, 3x per week and go for strength gains with SL 3x week for the next 8 weeks. Then shift gears back to gaining endurance. I want to race in a 5k or two before RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! at the end of May (A post-apocalyptic themed zombie-infested obstacle 5k run.)

Thought I would switch to lifting 2x per week, running 4x for March and April, then just run hard-core in May (regular runs plus hills, sprints, speed drills, etc), up until race-day. Nice 2 week vacation to follow!

The leg fatigue was why I took the lay-off in the first place. I thought I could master the running then add back the lifting, since it didn't work at all the other way around. Not sure how it would work to run after my sessions, since I'm usually noodle-legged by the end of it. I'm sure game to give it a try, though! Thanks! Let you know how I fare!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hells yeah we are some BADA$$ B!TCHES up in here!!!

Ahhh for February goals.....well I will finish my first cycle of SL this month at the end of the 3rd week so I plan to take the last week of February as a slight deload....not huge but just a little bit of a break.

After the cluster fu*k at the beginning of the month, I am also waiting until the end of the month to take my measurements. My main goal is to see some sort of progress regarding loss of body fat.

I will continue to eat between 2000-2200 calories (increase from 1800 when I saw no results).

As for weights.....upper body I just want to progress, I'm not even sure what is reasonable right now! For squats I would like to be at 150# and same for DL!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Failed my OHP last night of 70 lbs. so my goal is to defeat that *kitten*!! And my BR of 95 lb tomorrow I know is going to kick my butt so that is going to be a goal in Feb. as well!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Vegas your enthusiasm is catching!

It's great to see so many new posters. Welcome (or back) to the party.

My goals for the month are:
    Squat: 5x5 125
    Bench: 5x5 90
    Rows: 5x5 90
    OHP: 5x5 72
    Dead: 1x5 160

I've read that appearance is a consequence of fitness, so I'm sure I'll lose weight/inches eventually. My main goal is to up my BadA$$ery. I'm eating at a slight deficit(i think,) but if i stall too much on my lifts I might go to maintenance. I'd rather take all the advantage I can from noob gains, and lose fat later.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My goals, as of now, for the month of Feb.
    Wear fitbit daily, get in at least 10,000 steps/day.
    Run a 5k (treadmill) in under 35 minutes.
    Maintain weight.
    Do yoga at least once per week.

And depending on my prognosis this afternoon, I will add some weight goals, if allowed.