February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Fittree I too am noticing more room in my jacket. It makes me happy too. Scale isn't moving but my clothes are getting loosey.

I'm trying to figure out why everyone's wearing jackets; we had a high of 75 yesterday :laugh:. I'm excited that most of my pants have a droopy butt now, but still not losing much right at the waist, so not going down a size. I guess it's saving me money though.

Darwin, glad to see you still have a job. Luckily I've never had to go through layoffs, but I've only had a real job for about a year :) I hid in school for way too long...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Seem to be veering off strong lifts someways and doing additional reps if I can manage them, mainly because I have not dared venture beyond the 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 kg barbells thus far and while the 15 feels too light now to overhead, the 20 is still too. Heavy. I feel such s weed. Also working on my squats as I was not getting low enough. Can still only bench 20kg but am finding 35kg dead lifts easy enough that I think I will have to move up to the Olympic bar. The bench presses hurt as it was such a strain on my arms lifting the bar but yet I don't get doms anymore. Only ever got those the first couple of times when I did a lot less. Odd.
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!!! Last night was the first workout of week 3 of SL for me. I am absolutely loving this program and I already feel like I am getting stronger!!

OHP: 40
    Barbell Row: 50
    Squat: 70
    Deadlift: 75
    Bench Press: 50

I don't think these numbers are too bad for week 3. I'm still trying to perfect form and don't want to increase too much before I'm ready. By the last set last night, I was definitely feeling it, but no DOMS this morning. Is it bad sometimes I'm bummed when I'm not sore!? LOL.

Make it a great HUMP DAY! :drinker:
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Darwin - Glad you are still among the employed. I truely don't envy the private sector workers. You guys might make more money, but it practically takes an act of congress to get laid off here.

Nice numbers Lauren!

Re: Jackets - Mine seem to be getting a lot tighter around the shoulders. I don't want to buy larger sizes b/c then they look frumpy (I like tailor/fitted stuff) but it is getting to the point that I can't zip up my new leather coat! :frown: I shouldn't be complaining about fan-effing-fabulos delts though :drinker: !

Welcome back Zorrena, glad to hear that your arm is feeling better!

I plan on hitting the weights again today, probably before my chiro adjustment (they want me to come in AGAIN on Saturday and I am hoping thats my last one). My back is 95% today and with my renewed sense of vigor, I am hoping to hit another squat PR.

Good luck with your lifts today ladies! :flowerforyou:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

Glad to see recovery from injuries, clothes getting bigger or tighter (that means sexy shoulders!), and everyone keeping their jobs :smile:

Great workout for me this morning....

Squat 5x5 @ 135# (I am going to start to struggle now....this was the first weight that I didn't know if I could do it....but I did! BADA$$!!!!)
    OHP 4x4x3x3x3 @ 52# (So I actually deloaded on this after watching Mehdi's youtube video as I realized that my form was off and I was doing the "dip" to get the weight up. Clearly it didn't go well :laugh: )
    DL 1x5 @ 140# (Like a BADA$$!!!!)

Happy Wednesday Ladies!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Darwin - glad you still have a job!

Zorrena - glad to hear to you are healing well.

Lauren - great numbers for week 3!

Vegas - glad to see you working on form! Those squat and dead weights are awesome though!!

My clothes are getting tighter across my shoulders as well, but thanfully looser in the waist.

My workout this morning
    squat - 80 lbs 5x5
    bench - 60 lbs 5x5
    row - 75 lbs 5x5
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome new people!!

Last night I made it to the gym...where's my frelling medal? :laugh:

Squats: 3x5 95 (25 lb plates!)
    Bench: 5x5 82 lbs
    Cable row: 5x5 80 lbs

I was going to try Pendlays, but my lower back was bugging me. I need to wear shoes when I'm cooking, standing on the tile hurts me.

I thought I was going to have to do the roll of shame on my bench last night...I was lifting 82 before Xmas, but only 3x5. I did my 4th set okay, but by my 5th I was tired! I think the thought of bring embarrassed gave me the adrenaline to finish set 5.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    had a bad couple of days ...didnt workout at all Mon & Tues.... Today I did a regular "A" day....no extra stuff though now I wish I had at least did seated leg presses

Squats 5x5 60lbs.... felt pretty good....could feel my abs and hams working during this
    Bench press 5x5 45 lbs... last set was a lil rough bt I fought through it
    Barbell row... 5x5 50 lbs... im worried about my form on this... I needed all 3 minutes of rest between each set...during the rest I kept checking videos for form and it seems I was doing it right... anyhoo, the last set sucked like rotten eggs....

on Friday I will NOT be increasing weight at all....

Im expecting DOMS.... my arms and shoulders feel kind of tight and its been just an hour since I left the gym
    my legs dont feel like I had a workout at all....

Oh and I couldnt even make it a week without stepping on the scale.... today Im down to 197.8 today....2 pounds in a week....I'll take it
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,

I've been lifting for a while, but just started StrongLifts this week. I upped some of the weights since lifting just the bar was way, way too easy (my 1RM for DL was 225). Even though things are lighter, I know they'll progress rapidly and I'm really focusing on my form. My squats are much lower than they've ever been, which makes me feel pretty badass. Since I've been working with a trainer for a bit over a year, I feel really comfortable at the gym lifting heavy things among the dudes (which only contributes to the badassery).

Right now I'm at:
    Squats: 100 5x5
    OHP: 45 5x5
    DLs: 95 5x5
    BP: 65 5x5
    Barbell Row: 65 5X5

My goal for February is just to stick with it.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all the heavy lifting!! And the weight loss and NSV's like clothes fitting differently etc!

I am having to practice what I preach! (Don't you hate that!). I hit a bump in the road this morning. I pulled a muscle in my lower back this morning. I was on my last set, squatting 130!!! Totally impressed with myself even though I'm iced, showered and extra strength tylenoled, and now lying on the couch. Thank goodness for the power rack! I was able to get the bar back on the hooks as soon as I felt the muscle go. I'm not worried. I've had worse. And this new fangled body heals faster than the old one. The real challenge is not heading for the chocolate to anesthetize my brain!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Get better darn it!

Extraordinary medal for Extraordinary getting to the gym.

Vegas nice squats!

Does anyone else think about laces out when squatting, but replace knees for laces. I promise I won't kill anyone if a knee buckles, and I hurt myself though.

Freckled- Welcome! Nice lifts.

I got to go to the trainer again today for OHP and Dead. Set PRs on both. Woot. I also tweaked my form a bit so I can be even more bada$$ along with all you bada$$ ladies. I'm a little sad no more trainer after today. I might go back or get a membership their in a few months when my PF contract (that I'm not using) expires. It's cool to be around power lifters/strong(wo)men who aren't going to tell me I'm squatting too low. :laugh: They include basic form checks, instruction, routines in the membership which is quite reasonable. They're also have a dead lift competition this weekend so I might go watch some dudes and ladies lift heavy stuff!
  • jsdholland
    jsdholland Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out why everyone's wearing jackets; we had a high of 75 yesterday :laugh:. I'm excited that most of my pants have a droopy butt now, but still not losing much right at the waist, so not going down a size. I guess it's saving me money though.

[/quote]

You must be in Texas like me....warm weather this week. Glad to hear someone else with a waist that won't shrink and droopy butt...i guess we take what we can get.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Coats are needed here for sure - cold and rainy in WA state, but that's not new. :-)

Workout B tonight and - after waiting 20 minutes for the dudes taking up the racks, I went to a different part of the gym and found another room they have set up for weights - score!

Failed on OHP at 55 but I think (thanks Tameko!) longer rest periods will get me there next week. I only rested about 60-90 seconds between sets and got 4 reps on the last two sets.

Squats at 75 and DL at 125 felt tough but good and I feel better each time with my form. Definitely felt fatigued leaving the gym so felt like a good workout.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    BOOM!!! I made 60 lbs on my OHP!!!!!!! And 125 on deadlifts. Totally BAMF. :laugh: At least it felt like it to me! It was especially sweet because sitting RIGHT in front of me, looking straight into the same mirror, was this jock from high school doing tri extensions. Serious badassery. It just flabbergasts me that every week, I get stronger. :laugh: I'm always shocked when I can do more than what felt like my max just a few days ago.

I am feeling good on my squats, still no knee pain, form feels good and getting better. I'm really feeling with my whole foot.

Leann, so glad to have your badass in the chat.

Woot for PRs! Woot for trainers! Boo for injuries. :flowerforyou:
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    Congratulations on all the PR Sarah and Fittree, especially those OHP's!! and Tageekly resting more will definitely push you over the top next week! Great work!!
  • fisherlassie
    Options
    My butt hurts I'm so happy! So I know DOMS doesn't mean you're actually doing something useful or that you got a good workout, yet I always feel sad I never get butt DOMS. It makes me feel like I have a lazy butt. = < But (no pun intended) this past week I've had butt doms after every workout. At first I thought it was a fluke, but maybe it's because I'm becoming a SQUAT BEAST??? Oh my workout yesterday. Squat 5x5 105, Bench 5x5 80, Row 5x5 80.

Fisher I like your new avatar. It's like one of those stories where the painting changes subtly. Sneaky Sneaky. And you look bamf.

YAY for butt DOMS! I also prefer to have butt DOMS and finally got some today...

I used to get DOMS all the time, but not since starting SL. No clue why not. One of the stranger things I've noticed is that my back will randomly feel really warm. Almost like there's a heating pad on it. Really odd since I'm normally freezing. I'll just pretend like I can actually feel my muscles repairing themselves. :laugh:

ETA: I'm fine now. I eventually calmed down, and since I live in Houston, you have to get used to really ****ty drivers...

I'm glad you are feeling better.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I think I need to take an anatomy & physiology to learn the names of the muscles that I didnt remember having that are now aching...

maybe its part of the pecs majorly.... specifically its where the pecs meet the underarms.... One thing I am sure of, I like my boobs where they are...at size 36-B, I cant afford to lose one ounce of them so if building chest muscles is going to cause me to lose the fatty breast tissue Im not going to be a Happy Camper
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    grrrr not a great night at the gym for me, I've been trying to do a low bar squat, but I think it bruises my shoulder blade making it very uncomfortable. The gym was unusually crowded and full of men, when i did my deadlifts the trainer commented on my form and said I needed to squat lower, which was great to have feedback, but I was kinda devastated for it to happen in front of such a crowd :( .
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello....I've moved over here from NROL4W, since the movements got too complex for my taste.

Started lifting in October, moved over to SL about a month ago. In any case, I'm on my 8th "A" workout (did it this morning).

Really loving this program, simple enough that I don't need a book right with me to know what I'm up to and no standing on one leg while lifting! For me, this is a huge plus.

Where I am currently:

Squats: 145, can do 5x5, but my knees have started to ache afterward, so I think I need to stay at this weight until they get a bit stronger. I also don't go past parallel by much due to an old knee injury. (Started at 60 in October)

OH Press: only 65, my upper body strength is less than exceptional. (Started w/bar only 45)

Bench Press: 70, again, upper body strength nothing to write home about. (Started at 55)

Rows: 105, but I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, since it strains my lower back slightly. (Started at 70)

Deadlifts: 150 and I am adding next time. (Started at 50 with NR in Oct.)

I don't know if my progress is good or not, but I'm seeing muscle definition for the first time in my life. Not seeing much weight loss, but my husband keeps reminding me that I must be gaining muscle with this progress... I hope so, I miss seeing the scale move.

Anyway, hoping to get to know some of you.

Gina
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yay! More new people. Welcome.

Congrats to everyone on PRs and great lifting. I moved my lifting day to tomorrow morning so I could sleep in. I was babysitting last night and didn't fall asleep until about midnight, and 4:45 comes way too early for that... But, tomorrow back to the grind.