February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Welcome all new people!

Today it's BP day!!!! I haven't BP' since the roll of shame.....I decided that I'm not going to push the envelope that far anymore, if there's not a spotter in sight I'm not going to risk it.

My mother would be so proud of my sound judgement :)

I shall post my numbers later!!!!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    So I finally got my Yoga for Sacrum, Low Back, and Hip Pain DVD in the mail. Its not the most spectacular DVD I have ever seen, but I think its pretty well put together. The guy starts the DVD with a short introduction to body mechanics and types of back pain, which was quicky and dirty, lol. Then the second section is an intro to the breathing and the poses used in the program. I practiced along with it since the only yoga I have ever done is Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. The pose workshop is about a half hour. Then there are three seperate routines: 1) Low Back Rehab, 2) Hip Rehab, and 3) Low Back Hip Strengthening (maintenance). I did the first routine, which was right around 20 minutes and was all flooor work. It was really relaxing and felt pretty good. Now I just need to keep doing it. I will let you guys know if it helps!

Went to the gym right after work and busted out 110x5x5 Squats (PR), 75x3x4 Bench (I can't progress on these damn things), and I had to use the cable row station as someone was using the olybar for deads. Then I added in some pullups (3x5 at -30lbs) and roman chairs and back extensions. Then I left to go to the Chiro and then came back for a 30 minute walk on the treadmill. Its really hard to get 10,000 steps in a day!
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    So I finally got my Yoga for Sacrum, Low Back, and Hip Pain DVD in the mail. Its not the most spectacular DVD I have ever seen, but I think its pretty well put together. The guy starts the DVD with a short introduction to body mechanics and types of back pain, which was quicky and dirty, lol. Then the second section is an intro to the breathing and the poses used in the program. I practiced along with it since the only yoga I have ever done is Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. The pose workshop is about a half hour. Then there are three seperate routines: 1) Low Back Rehab, 2) Hip Rehab, and 3) Low Back Hip Strengthening (maintenance). I did the first routine, which was right around 20 minutes and was all flooor work. It was really relaxing and felt pretty good. Now I just need to keep doing it. I will let you guys know if it helps!

Went to the gym right after work and busted out 110x5x5 Squats (PR), 75x3x4 Bench (I can't progress on these damn things), and I had to use the cable row station as someone was using the olybar for deads. Then I added in some pullups (3x5 at -30lbs) and roman chairs and back extensions. Then I left to go to the Chiro and then came back for a 30 minute walk on the treadmill. Its really hard to get 10,000 steps in a day!

I've never done a yoga DVD before - I wonder how it compares. I really like taking the class, cause it's always something different and they let you know if you are doing the poses correctly or not....Do you have a class option? Or a groupon you can use or something for a cheap yoga session??? I highly recommend if you do! I love when it's been a super good stretching session and standing strength and I can see the progress I've made from when I first started yoga. There's this one standing strength - warrior III - that I always had to use the yoga block for, but now I can do it. Seriously - try standing on one leg learning forward, balancing....it's freaking hard!!!! And then holding it for minutes on end! http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/warrior3.htm

Whenever people say that Yoga does not build strength, to me, obviously they haven't done yoga. You do planks, push-ups, and tons of body weight strength building exercises. Plus you learn to hold them through your own breathing (ujjiya). It's probably one of the most satisfying things I do aside from weight lifting. And weight lifting only helps my yoga and the reverse is so true too - it helps my weight lifting!

Enough of my yoga rant :)
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Gina, I think many of us are former NROLFW members...for the same reason as you. When you need to cart the book to they gym to remember how to do the routine, it's time to move on.

Darwin, I'm so glad there's another yoga-junkie in here! I agree, it's really helped with my lifting and vice-versa. My SI joint was a bit off after Tuesday's session, but I did a whole body "reset" practice and today I have no pain and I'm ready for deadlifts. I've only been to a handful of actual yoga classes. I'm too much of a cheap *kitten* to pay the kind of money many of the studios want, and the rec center offers classes...for stay-at-home moms. (They're in the middle of the day and I'm working.) I pay $18 a month to yogaglo.com and I'm good to go. I have a PE and gymnastics background, so I know enough about body mechanics to pick up on the cues from the instructor on the vid.

Speaking of deadlifts...I can't decide if I want to attempt 130 today or redo 125.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    There are so many different styles of yoga though. Some of them are really wussy. :wink: Others are completely killer. It's like saying "lifting weights is a great workout." Well, not if they are 3 lber hand weights and you do 30 minutes of bicep curls with them.

But serious yoga is serious.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga! Been doing it for almost 3 years now, mostly 3x a week, but sometimes it's hard to fit it in. There are instructors that come to the on site fitness center where I work and It's great. I truly believe that yoga has helped reshape my body more than anything else, but it really is a great compliment to heavy lifting.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Gina, I think many of us are former NROLFW members...for the same reason as you. When you need to cart the book to they gym to remember how to do the routine, it's time to move on.

What did me in was 'stand on one foot with the other leg straight and then lift a dumbbell'. Yeah, not so much. Half an hour to do the three sets, with lots of flopping about. It was ugly.
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Speaking of deadlifts...I can't decide if I want to attempt 130 today or redo 125.

130. :devil:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Hello....I've moved over here from NROL4W, since the movements got too complex for my taste.

Started lifting in October, moved over to SL about a month ago. In any case, I'm on my 8th "A" workout (did it this morning).

Really loving this program, simple enough that I don't need a book right with me to know what I'm up to and no standing on one leg while lifting! For me, this is a huge plus.

Where I am currently:

Squats: 145, can do 5x5, but my knees have started to ache afterward, so I think I need to stay at this weight until they get a bit stronger. I also don't go past parallel by much due to an old knee injury. (Started at 60 in October)

OH Press: only 65, my upper body strength is less than exceptional. (Started w/bar only 45)

Bench Press: 70, again, upper body strength nothing to write home about. (Started at 55)

Rows: 105, but I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, since it strains my lower back slightly. (Started at 70)

Deadlifts: 150 and I am adding next time. (Started at 50 with NR in Oct.)

I don't know if my progress is good or not, but I'm seeing muscle definition for the first time in my life. Not seeing much weight loss, but my husband keeps reminding me that I must be gaining muscle with this progress... I hope so, I miss seeing the scale move.

Anyway, hoping to get to know some of you.

Gina

You should deload from those numbers and build back up. That's the whole point of the program. Calculate your 1rm and drop 50% - you'll blast past these numbers. Seriously. And it will give you time to work on your form.

On the home front, deadlifts yesterday went okay. Mostly. 185 so at least I'm back where I was last year. *prods it sadly* I think I can do 195 next month though so that's where I'm heading.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've never done a yoga DVD before - I wonder how it compares. I really like taking the class, cause it's always something different and they let you know if you are doing the poses correctly or not....Do you have a class option? Or a groupon you can use or something for a cheap yoga session??? I highly recommend if you do! I love when it's been a super good stretching session and standing strength and I can see the progress I've made from when I first started yoga. There's this one standing strength - warrior III - that I always had to use the yoga block for, but now I can do it. Seriously - try standing on one leg learning forward, balancing....it's freaking hard!!!! And then holding it for minutes on end! http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/warrior3.htm

Whenever people say that Yoga does not build strength, to me, obviously they haven't done yoga. You do planks, push-ups, and tons of body weight strength building exercises. Plus you learn to hold them through your own breathing (ujjiya). It's probably one of the most satisfying things I do aside from weight lifting. And weight lifting only helps my yoga and the reverse is so true too - it helps my weight lifting!

Hm, with all of this talk about yoga, I might need to check it out. It's something I've always ignored (and something I always assumed it's something skinny people do :laugh:). Interesting to see that it's helped so many people with the lifting. I know I'm not flexible, and I could really use better posture and core strengthening. Hm... Maybe I'll mess around with youtube to see what's what before investing money. Stupid question, but how necessary is a yoga mat? (Yes, I'm a cheap *****.)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

130. :devil:

Psh 135 :smokin:

Audii- Yoga mats are pretty needed, but you can get them pretty cheap. I've had the same 15 dollar one from target for 10 years. Even if you don't use it for yoga they are great for floor work, body weight exercises, etc.

Vette- you are becomming a squat machine (not to be confused with the extraordinary variety.)

Fairywings- Not to be obvious, but maybe your wings are affecting your bar placement? Make sure you're really flexing your back so you have a place to rest. I saw a video and the guy said you want to imagine you're doing a back bicep flex. That might help.

glwerth- good luck with your knees! Many of us have had issues due to one thing or another, but you get through it eventually with rest and practice.

Tameko- So excited for your deadlift. Don't be a sad sloth because you're just back to where you were. That's pretty great progress.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    if you have a Five Below store nearby, Yoga products are $5 this week

http://www.fivebelow.com/now/the-now-list-12.html
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Damn it! You shamed me into 130...I don't want to blow an o-ring with 135 just yet. :laugh:
  • tameko2
    Options

Hm, with all of this talk about yoga, I might need to check it out. It's something I've always ignored (and something I always assumed it's something skinny people do :laugh:). Interesting to see that it's helped so many people with the lifting. I know I'm not flexible, and I could really use better posture and core strengthening. Hm... Maybe I'll mess around with youtube to see what's what before investing money. Stupid question, but how necessary is a yoga mat? (Yes, I'm a cheap *****.)

Many many people like it. People who are not me. However a mat isn't necessary at all unless you have slipping problems or are on a very hard floor. as far as I know. And on carpet I find a mat makes it harder. its *too* squishy.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yippee!! Nailed my form on deadlifts today. . . oweee for my hammy's tommorrow. . . .maybe the Gluteus Maximus too. . . . oh well i can look forward to a nice lavender epsom salt bath tonight.

Im on SL session 6 and my numbers are at:

Squats 70lb
    OHP 40lb gonna do the big girl bar next time!!
    Deadlift 105lb

Only thing I'm still struggling with form on is Rows. Having a hard time creating the proper form to prevent back strain. Gonna be looking up good videos before I go in on Sunday for my next workout.

Foam roller question: If I get a short stubby one will I regret it. . be nice to get the travel package one to keep it from taking up so much space but wanted to check your preferences for those of you using them.
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    so there's thread a bunch of people are posting to about girls getting bulky from lifting - so I had to add a month to my body progression pictures. I was quite happy with it!!! I like how "curvy" I am starting to look, even though my weight isn't significantly different.

51f6dedc-ee8a-4922-99ef-41e4e21a124f_zpsfbf2abd7.jpg

btw....it's super hard to type with a cat on your lap.....
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    I love your pics Darwin! Can't wait till you post one in your wedding dress!

So, I think I might attempt deads tomorrow. I really miss them and feel incomplete without having them in my routine right now. My goals is to do 165x5 by the end of the month (I have clear 175x1 and 165x3 so its totally doable) but I am scared since I am still not quite sure what caused my "overuse injury" on the vertebrae. Was it the 1RM? Was it the Rack Pulls? Was it hyperextending my back while doing weighted extentions...? So many possibilities. Anyways, I am trying to figure out a good weight to try to pull tomorrow. I was thinking taking it easy and doing 135x5. Any thoughts?
  • tameko2
    Options
    I love your pics Darwin! Can't wait till you post one in your wedding dress!

So, I think I might attempt deads tomorrow. I really miss them and feel incomplete without having them in my routine right now. My goals is to do 165x5 by the end of the month (I have clear 175x1 and 165x3 so its totally doable) but I am scared since I am still not quite sure what caused my "overuse injury" on the vertebrae. Was it the 1RM? Was it the Rack Pulls? Was it hyperextending my back while doing weighted extentions...? So many possibilities. Anyways, I am trying to figure out a good weight to try to pull tomorrow. I was thinking taking it easy and doing 135x5. Any thoughts?

I think I'd take it easy for another month or so. low back injuries are no joke.

I want to see Darwin's pics but most pictures are blocked at work. Boo. Maybe I can see them on my phone.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Darwin, you look amazing!

Vette, I second Tameko...I'd hate for you to eff up your back even more.

So, today I killed 55 lb OHP 5x5 and 1x5 deads at 130. I feel like such a BAMF right now. Lol.
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Darwin, you look amazing!

Vette, I second Tameko...I'd hate for you to eff up your back even more.

So, today I killed 55 lb OHP 5x5 and 1x5 deads at 130. I feel like such a BAMF right now. Lol.

What the hell is a bamf????? Inquiring minds want to know!!