February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Doh! I think we need a poll on squat gaze. :D Rippetoe says NOT to look up! Mehdi looks down! I do something just below the horizon, I guess. I wonder if it's the difference between a high bar and low bar squat. If you do a high bar your body will be naturally straighter and looking up makes more sense.

Lots of other reply-worthy stuff but I just got home from my Women's Tri Club's kick off meeting and I'm beat. I will say that I also find Tree hilarious. <falls asleep at keyboard.....z.zzzzzzzz>

Most people say neutral gaze - my take on it is, whatever feels comfortable. But looking up is comfortable for NO one. The only reason I can think taht people started doing it is to kind of push their traps back and provide more padding for the bar? But you can do that without tilting your head, and if you squat low bar its irrelevant either way.

I honestly can't imagine looking up, it hurts my neck to do it WITHOUT having a 150 lb barbell on my back.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm sure I saw it here. I don't know how tomsearchnthreads so going to ask a question I know was answered. I need a good recommendation for a protein powder with no artificial sugars. I HATE the flavor and they give me the ****s. I just suffered through my last jar but I'm not buying that again! I feel so silly for asking this again.
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!!

Last night I did 1x5 100# deadlift!! Only a few weeks into the SL program and I'm so proud of myself! I also increased my OHP and Squat by 5# each. I can just feel myself getting stronger and it freakin' rocks! :happy:
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 10 week of Strong Lifts, but I'm new to this group- hi everyone!

I started at:

Squats- 50
    Chest Press- 30
    Row- 40
    Deadlifts- 40
    OHP- 30

Now at 10 weeks in:

Squats- 105
    Chest Press- 60
    Row- 75
    Deadlifts- 100
    OHP- 50

Feeling pretty good about my progress, although I'm taking it sort of slow with the weight adding to make sure I don't over do it. I also started doing 10 reps x 5 sets and as I add weight more frequently, I'm now doing the recommended 5 reps x 5 sets
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 10 week of Strong Lifts, but I'm new to this group- hi everyone!

I started at:

Squats- 50
    Chest Press- 30
    Row- 40
    Deadlifts- 40
    OHP- 30

Now at 10 weeks in:

Squats- 105
    Chest Press- 60
    Row- 75
    Deadlifts- 100
    OHP- 50

Feeling pretty good about my progress, although I'm taking it sort of slow with the weight adding to make sure I don't over do it. I also started doing 10 reps x 5 sets and as I add weight more frequently, I'm now doing the recommended 5 reps x 5 sets

Wow!! Awesome!! I'm only in week 5 and i'm so excited to see my numbers rise when I get as far along as you!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Brown belt in one year is very fast! We are coming up on two years. We started in the "parent" class which means we move through the levels with colored belts just like the kids. My son is blue belt and my husband and I are green belts. In the Adult class we are all white belts. It is too bad you didn't find another dojo. I think there really is a big difference between them. Our sensei is amazing. He is such a good example for our son. It's never too late!! ; )

True, it isn't too late, but (at least last time) it was about $100 a month, and right now I have the money, but it's being deferred into savings and student loan payments. So, at least for now, I'm in a holding pattern for expensive hobbies. :smile:

Had a fairly good day in the gym this morning. Stuck with 60lbs for squats, and hit them all fairly easily. Well, at least not struggling. I'm just sad at how weak my legs are. :cry:

Bench went really well, although I didn't go up in weight (I failed on the last rep last time). Got all 5x5 at 72.5; I'll probably go up to 75 next time. Stuck with 60 on my rows to make sure I was getting form right. While I picture squeezing my shoulder blades together, I still feel like I feel it more in my arms than my back. Argh. I've searched all over the internet for different videos. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Sigh.

I did have a laugh because there was a guy on the squat rack when I first went in, so I started with bench again. He finished during my warm up sets, but I decided to just to them first anyways. He decided to use the other bench behind me to do reverse crunches/hip ups and used the bench bar to stabilize his upper body. At least he did until he ripped the bar off the stand. He did catch it before throwing it on his stomach. It's hard to do bench press when trying to not laugh... :devil: (Yes I'm a horrible person.)
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I thought my workout yesterday was a good one, and now today I woke up and every muscle in my body feels awesome. Not exactly sore...but they feel like they were used. They feel strong and my body feels hard. My abs feel like I did a straight ab workout, but I didn't. I feel great today!! I know it's my imagination, but I swear my body LOOKS better today, too. Excited to workout tomorrow!! I need to be better about adding EVERY time. I don't have faith in my strength, but I should! Reading over everyone's numbers and looking at your pictures makes me realize I should trust myself more. I can do it!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great numbers Kate and Arikag! It's so awesome when you not only FEEL yourself getting stronger but you KNOW you are because the numbers are going up!

@ Audii.....I watched a video on youtube yesterday of Glen Pendlay giving instruction on rows...I found it to be super helpful. I think that (for me anyway) I have really been overthinking it. I also tend to get really stressed because I have short arms and struggle with the idea of doing it off the floor so I have been pulling from the lowest setting on my rack. Tomorrow I have made a commitment to try off the floor though. I found the link through the SL website in Mehdi's articles from sometime in 2011 I think!

In other news....it was a yoga morning and I think I pulled a muscle in my back attempting to go from downward dog into warrior 1 :laugh: Damn yoga! Harder than it looks!

Happy Tuesday Ladies!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I think I've been unknowingly doing that breathing (belly, holding, etc.) when I've been doing my OHP, so whoot for me!!

So, I'm a nerd.

I made a squat poll...:laugh:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wxxghu9MPb9L-GYwoVHKEIFflUu2bVe9dcYZm7IRhio/viewform
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think I've been unknowingly doing that breathing (belly, holding, etc.) when I've been doing my OHP, so whoot for me!!

So, I'm a nerd.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wxxghu9MPb9L-GYwoVHKEIFflUu2bVe9dcYZm7IRhio/viewform

I voted! :laugh:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

So, I'm a nerd.

I voted! :laugh:

me too :)
    not sure if i got it right though
    I try to do my squats like Rip says in his book. So looking straight I guess...although for me it's somewhere between straight and down, neutral position. Def not up, never up
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I can't vote at work - google docs is blocked. I look somewhere between straight and slightly above horizon, just more comfortable for me, I guess.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

So, I'm a nerd.

OMG you are awesome! I voted :) I'm a neutral girl....just keep my head in a natural position. Tend to be looking slightly down, but not directly down!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling pretty bada$$ today! Here's last night's numbers:

Squat: 110lbs
    OHP: 45lbs (finally managed 5X5!)
    Deadlift: 125lbs!

Next goal: Squat and Deadlift my weight! (150lbs)

P.S. Love the idea of making sticky treads on calories, when to switch programs and whatnot. I could really use those!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    ZOMG!!!!!!! WHO would block Google docs!??!?!?!/ :laugh: Off to vote. Kit-katty that is terribly badass!

ETA - Aww. :heart: I totally do. I do love polls. They are incredibly efficient ways to make decisions. :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm sure I saw it here. I don't know how tomsearchnthreads so going to ask a question I know was answered. I need a good recommendation for a protein powder with no artificial sugars. I HATE the flavor and they give me the ****s. I just suffered through my last jar but I'm not buying that again! I feel so silly for asking this again.

you might be thinking of my discussion about http://www.truscience.com/trutein.html trutein a while ago. It *does* use artificial sugar (sucralose) but the chocolate covered strawberry and chocolate covered banana genuinely taste good and use real freeze dried banana/strawberry for flavor, and cocoa powder. I'm a weirdo that thinks fake/processed flavors taste funny and these taste decent to me. You can order samples through their website of every flavor and that's what I'd recommend you do to try it.

Otherwise, I think your best bet is to buy an unflavored one and add your own flavors, OR http://www.truenutrition.com/ You can blend your own powder here, pick the carb you want to add (or fake sweetener) and flavor - so you can make a blend of casein, whey, and egg with fructose added and your own flavor.

I want to say stuff to the rest of you but blergh. Work is so busy lately. So ...hi! kick ass. K. *runs away*
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ha, I tend to look straight ahead in squats, but unfortunately the squat rack is in front of a mirror. Rippetoe said that's bad because then you can't tell if you're swaying back and forth and not having a vertical path for the bar. So, I'm trying a slightly more neutral look by looking at the cross support of the squat rack (although that height changes as I squat, so that might not be a good idea).

And congrats Kat on your awesome day! Kicking *kitten* on those squats and deads! And super badass on throwing up all of your OHP!!!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    hola ladies.... still nursing the wonky knee..... I went to Dr yesterday and of course its causing no pain while Im there..... Im starting to think this is just old age....it hurts like hell when Im doing nothing but while exercising no pain.... I skipped SLs yesterday just as a precaution..... I get X-ray and see ortho on Thursday....

today I did 15 mins on spinning bike as warm up then just worked on hip abductor, hip adductor and seated leg press.....no knee pain at all.....
    I did take tylenol to help with menstrual cramps so not sure if that is helping knee pain....
    Im going to try 30-ish minutes on treadmill later and maybe if Im up to it a lil yoga

still gnna wait til I see Ortho before trying squats & such

Im going thru withdrawals..... I miss that high I get after lifting
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I look sorta up while squatting...... tends to help with my form.... when I look lower I tend to put the weight on my toes instead of behind me
  • vashnic
    Options
    Two weeks of lifting now! :smile: This morning:

Squat: 100 lbs of dumbbells (am very proud, ultimate goal is to lift bodyweight :love:)
    Benchpress: 50 lbs of dumbells (arm muscles are still itty bitty)
    Rows: 3 x 50, 2 x 60 lbs (these feel really awkward to do still, may keep it at this weight until I'm sure of form)