Stage 2

Options

Replies

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but with the first stage he says if you're a beginner you can do all of the workouts 3x instead of just 2. Will there be any benefit to this in Stage 2?

Also, I do interval training once a week anyway as part of my training for races. Should I do MORE interval training, or switch out the training suggested for something else, or just count my usual training as the interval training?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question, but with the first stage he says if you're a beginner you can do all of the workouts 3x instead of just 2. Will there be any benefit to this in Stage 2?

Also, I do interval training once a week anyway as part of my training for races. Should I do MORE interval training, or switch out the training suggested for something else, or just count my usual training as the interval training?

I did 2x for the first 3 A/B workouts. I actually did 5 total instead of 4 and for the last 2 I did 3 sets. Benefit? Huge for me, I worked hard for all 3 sets and saw improvement each workout.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started stage 2 today...It was tough but I liked it so far...lots to work on....

I have been battling a cold that has had me run down this past week, and I thought I was good to go today...I only got as far as my second set of lunges...couldn't do the second set of pushups and rushed home and barfed for a while....ahhhhhh

here is to hoping the rest of this stage goes better...:)
  • godslilgerl
    godslilgerl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    holy moly stage 2 workout A...those static lunges kicked my butt! I love how sore i was the next day cause that means they are really working...tone that butt!!!!
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 2 tomorrow. Dumb question....but in the book I think it said do each workout 4x each, 2 sets of 10 each time (or something like that...book is at home, I'm at work now!). So, this is different than stage 1 where every couple of sets the number of reps/weights changed, correct?

Does anyone have a spreadsheet for Stage 2 that they can send me or guide me towards?

Thanks! :smile:
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 2 tomorrow. Dumb question....but in the book I think it said do each workout 4x each, 2 sets of 10 each time (or something like that...book is at home, I'm at work now!). So, this is different than stage 1 where every couple of sets the number of reps/weights changed, correct?

Does anyone have a spreadsheet for Stage 2 that they can send me or guide me towards?

Thanks! :smile:

Correct! Sets and reps don't change for Stage 2.

All spreadsheets for all stages of NROL4W can be found here: http://werkit.com/programs/nrol4w
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I am about to start Stage 2 next week - question for those in the know - I am only doing shoulder press with 9kg in each hand (19.8lb in each hand) - how heavy will I be able to do the Front Squat push press? I was hoping to try it with the bar - 24kg/52.8 lb but is that going to be too tough to begin with? I have had a minor shoulder injury, so I only started stage 1 with 4kg in each hand as I am quite weak in the shoulders and back, and I didn't want to hurt myself.

Any opinions? I think there might be a 16kg bar I can use, apparently it exists, but I have never found it (35.2lb).
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    p.s Does anyone else find the front squat/should press awkward??? I tried it this morning and I don't think I got enough momentum from my squat going down because it took more energy that I think it should've to get the bar over my head (i'm just using the barbell to start). Hoping that it becomes easier..but I did like the reverse lunge..I'm gonna feel that tomorrow!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am doing the second A workout of Stage 2 tonight.

I was only at about 25# barbells for the shoulder press and I can do the squat and shoulder press with the bar, it was hard and I felt like it took an eternity to do it but it's possible. My biggest issue is having my arms in the correct position but I heard it's easier to have them parallel to the ground when you have more weight (gah! more weight?!?).
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hi all - finished stage 1 this am, so I am peeking ahead to stage 2!

LB2LL - you mean elbows sticking straight out? Yes, that is correct.

KR - yes, the move is definitely awkward at first. Agree that one of the key parts of the move is getting momemtum.

McBell - you should try with the bar. per above, you are using momentum, rather than just your arms as in the shoulder press. Plus, its a bar rather than dumbbells, which is a little easier to handle.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Lcu, yup, that's what I meant! It's hard getting them parallel to the ground. I think it's just a little awkward right now especially since the bar is SO long and I'm right around 5 feet tall.
  • mcbellnz
    Options

McBell - you should try with the bar. per above, you are using momentum, rather than just your arms as in the shoulder press. Plus, its a bar rather than dumbbells, which is a little easier to handle.

I thought that would be the case - momentum helping. Thanks - starting stage 2 on Monday.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I finished stage 1 today, starting stage 2 sometime next week. I think Sunday I will go to the gym and just walk through the new moves, then stat next week.
    How long is your workouts in stage 2?
    At the moment I go to the gym before work, I'm thinking I may need to start going after work.
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I finished stage 1 today, starting stage 2 sometime next week. I think Sunday I will go to the gym and just walk through the new moves, then stat next week.
    How long is your workouts in stage 2?
    At the moment I go to the gym before work, I'm thinking I may need to start going after work.

It does seem to take longer. I switched from mid-day workouts around lunch to after work for that reason. (I hate after work as my gym gets so crowded, but it is what it is...)
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi all -

I did 2a1 yesterday. I will post my weights when I get home from my weekend away. Man, those static lunges were hard!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

So I'm going to be doing my final Stage 1 workout either tomorrow or Tuesday!
    Looking forward to finishing that, but after reading these boards I'm not sure how excited I am to move onto stage 2! Little nervous about all of the new moves...
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi all -

I got the rare lunchtime workout in on Friday and lifted this am for 2A1 and 2B1. I am definitely liking A better than B at this point. the static lunges and split squats are awesome/really suck, depending on how you look at it!

2A1
    FSPP: 45x10, 55x10
    step-up: 60x10, 60x12 (i got some wrist weights over the weekend so that I can do 64.4 next time instead of trying to jump to 70)
    dumbbell 1 pt row: 30x10, 40x10, 45x10 (did an extra set since i started too low)
    static lunge: 50x10x2
    push-up: 14, 18
    plank: 60 seconds x 2
    hor wood chop: 45x10, 50x10

2B1
    wide grip deadlift: 115x10x2
    BSS: 50x10x2
    reverse lunge:30x10x2 (these are just weird...the lunge seems so superfluous)
    cuban snatch 30x10x2
    v sit up with weight overhead: 15x25 (why do a crunch and a reverse sit-up when you can do them both at the same time?)
    side lifts 25x10 (not sure what to call these...you're at a standing 45 degree angle with your hips on a pad)
    will do prone cobra later...I ran out of time.
  • mcbellnz
    Options

I thought that would be the case - momentum helping. Thanks - starting stage 2 on Monday.

Managed with the bar! I was so relieved that when I rested the bar on my chesty bit, I did not find it heavy - makes me laugh that the bar feels like almost nothing these days. I did a few warm up FSPP's with two 5kg dumb bells, then I did a couple of slow ones with the bar - they were hard, much easier using the momentum. Will keep that weight for next time and work on my form (as I am probably going to take a break and do an extra set of workouts in this stage). Found it hard to stick my elbows right out - especially my left one which is my silly shoulder injury, but maybe it is just a lack of flexibility.

Workout was good, hard. Nice to go back to 2 sets, still took a bit longer than Stage 1 - although workout B will be long with the interval training at the end. Feeling a bit sore in some spots, but nothing really bad.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm officially in Stage 2. First workout this morning. It kicked *kitten*!! I enjoyed it, it was nice to try new exercises. I am sure I am going to hurt later!!
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am starting stage 2 tonight! Looking forward trying all those new exercise!