February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 5X5 135lbs! I had to switch too mixed grip (I think that's what it's called) though to pick up the last two. My grip was failing, even with gloves. Sigh. Is that normal? Is that "ok"?

I switched to mixed grip at the suggestion of a couple of others at 135 as well. I repeated 135 yesterday, and it felt fine. Bring on 145!!!

Julie- thanks! I'm a work in progress. :blushing:

I'm still falling short on protein. I usually get 100-110 every day, but I'm supposed to be eating 130 or so. Not sure if I want to delve into the world of protein powders or not. Did finally get an immersion blender for christmas though. Hmm.

Thanks! I wasn't sure but wow did it help to use the mixed grip!

I'm having trouble with protein too! Sigh. Not sure what to do about that... chicken is rather expensive...
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Ooh, we're going to roll another thread!!

I haven't tried the 5 hours before a workout...must remember.

My class was cancelled tonight so I need to figure out what to have for dinner.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options

re: protein - I struggled with the meat thing too, I just get TIRED of it, and I can only use shakes in a very moderate way before getting pretty sick of them too. But 100grams isn't too hard. Look at your diary and see where you can swap out a food that is low protein for a food that has slightly more protein - even if its just a few grams more. Like see where you can swap in dairy foods for foods that are mostly carb, buy cereals that have stuff like soy crisps in them (for higher protein content), pick up higher protein pastas and breads, eat quinoa instead of rice, etc. I also sometimes do stuff like mix up a can of albacore wiht spices and mustard and a dab of mayo and whatever else I want, or I mix it with fresh salsa, or some veggie mix, etc. I prefer that to a sweet thing like protein powder.

I hate cottage cheese BUT to make a cheese cake smoothie I LOVE it! I also use egg whites in combination with fruit and a touch of sugar and get something that resembles orange Julius drinks. I have a horrible protein powder and have to find a new one. I will be looking for one today preferably with the least artificial sweetner taste possible.

I also buy fresh tuna sometimes and eat it like sashimi with soy sauce. Love it!
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

My chiro cleared me...went to my final appointment Monday, yay! The Dr. gave me some stretches/exercises to help alleviate some of the curve in my back. A lot of the things he gave me are the same exercises as in my Yoga for backpain DVD. Must do yoga this week!

Yoga for back pain?? Title PLEASE?? Or at least which exercises, so I can look them up?
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options

My chiro cleared me...went to my final appointment Monday, yay! The Dr. gave me some stretches/exercises to help alleviate some of the curve in my back. A lot of the things he gave me are the same exercises as in my Yoga for backpain DVD. Must do yoga this week!

Yoga for back pain?? Title PLEASE?? Or at least which exercises, so I can look them up?

http://www.amazon.com/Viniyoga-Therapy-Back-Sacrum-Kraftsow/dp/B000U0C9UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361397370&sr=8-1&keywords=yoga+for+low+back+pain
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

http://www.amazon.com/Viniyoga-Therapy-Back-Sacrum-Kraftsow/dp/B000U0C9UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361397370&sr=8-1&keywords=yoga+for+low+back+pain
    Many thanks! I'll take a look at it. :flowerforyou:
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Vegann - Its kinda dry, but the routines are decent. There are three: one low back repair, one hip repair, and one maitenance/strengthening routine. It has a demo of the moves too, plus a small video on general back pain.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Oh. Mi. Gawd. The gym was so packed today, it was crazy! We're set to get a substantial amount of snow tonight so I think everyone was trying to get their pump on before the snow piled up.

Tonight's total...
    Goblet Squat: 3x8 50 lb
    OHP: 3x5 58 (My goal was to hit 60 this month...so it's happening!)
    Dead: 1x5 140 I was nervous about this one because well, it weighs more than me, but it didn't suck.
    Cable Pull: 3x8 80 lbs

I was seriously shaking from effort after today's workout--it was crazy!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    more treadmill posting. Woo!

Squat- got up to 95 with new knee brace. No pain but didn't want to push it.
    Bench-90 it was so easy and I struggled at 85. Weird.
    Row- 90. I suck at stacking plates and using them effectively so I tried a sort of sumo stance and it worked beautifully. I don't think it changes the exercise at all, but if it does tell me!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Squat- got up to 95 with new knee brace. No pain but didn't want to push it.
    Bench-90 it was so easy and I struggled at 85. Weird.
    Row- 90. I suck at stacking plates and using them effectively so I tried a sort of sumo stance and it worked beautifully. I don't think it changes the exercise at all, but if it does tell me!

Awesome numbers tree! Looks like that morning cocaine is lasting until your evening workout....WINNING! :laugh:

To be honest I haven't seen the sumo stance referenced in any of the video's I've watched....but I haven't read anything saying NOT to do it either. I suppose that if your upper body is still in the appropriate position and you are able to pinch and arch as you should that it wouldn't hurt anything.

In other news....I just found out today that Jillian Michaels is doing her first North American tour :bigsmile: :love: I am so effing exciting you have no idea! I so love her to bits and also think that she is bat **** crazy! I have a small girl crush :blushing: and I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

OMG! Next time stop next to it, put on makeup and re-brush/tie your hair, THEN get on the treadmill and start texting people.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

OMG! Next time stop next to it, put on makeup and re-brush/tie your hair, THEN get on the treadmill and start texting people.

What makes you think I didn't? :huh:

So I wear my hair in a braid variation pretty much every time I workout, unless I know its just cardio then sometimes I'll do a messy bun. Today I have Willie Nelson braids. and a gym acquaintance was like "Oh you did your hair." Not sure how to take that lol.

Yeah it's a shame I discovered the sumo stance on the workout before I can put 25's on! :laugh:

I don't want to admit it, but I watched this show on demand a few years ago with Jillian "Losing it" I think? Anyway I couldn't stop even though it was so bad. Her tough love yelling thing is addictive!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    the night's badassery...and I'm way WAY proud that I pushed through my OHP.

Squats 70lbs 5x5 (and NOT on the smith machine..woOot!
    OHP 35lbs 5x5 (on the smith machine, obviously) and man did I push through this...it was HARD!
    Deadlift 95lbs!!!!!! 1x5

and my *kitten* hurts...I admit it.

I felt tons better today, though still had the weakness to a certain extent.
    @ Tameko, I don't know whether it is eating, sleeping or water. I know I haven't been sleeping great, but I've really been trying to hit my 40/30/30 macros. I struggle with the protein a bit, I've added protein powder and that has helped.

anyway, now if I could just start seeing some of the fat melting away, i'd be a happy girl.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Had a pretty good workout, but my gym is actually getting busier; aren't people supposed to be fading at this point? Maybe it's the old regulars that have been avoiding new people. Either way, there were three of us using the squat rack this morning, but luckily it was A day, so I just did my squats and then did my bench and then rows over by the bench. I must say the guy squatting after me made me feel better. He put on gloves and the bar pad, and wasn't going quite parallel. Not sure why that makes me feel good; perhaps more affirmation that I'm a horrible person.

Squats went well at 65lb, and I'm looking forward to going up to 70 finally. Ugh, I'm progressing so slowly at these, but I also really don't want to injure myself. Bench was still a struggle, but I put up all of my reps at 77.5lb. Going to try 80 next time since I didn't fail at all. Rows went fine, but still am not feeling them in my back. Only did 70lbs today. Not sure if I want to go to 75 next or aim for 72.5lb. They weren't particularly hard, but I'm still concerned that I'm doing them wrong because they just don't feel right (not pain or anything, they just don't feel like they're working what they're supposed to work). I've watched a ton of videos and the Pendlay video several times. It seems like I'm doing what they're doing, so I don't know.

Excited. Photography meetup and BBQ tonight. Hello killing my protein goal today!!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    @ auddii those are some phenominal numbers!!! I can't even imagine breakin 60lbs on my rows...great job!

Okay, I need some "there, there's" and "everything will be okays"...I know I lifted last night...but I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm officially up 5lbs in a week and a half? wtf? And yes, I do take my measurements and those have gone up too..except my waist which isn't budging. I've been working out harder since January, been doing pretty good with the eating...netting between 1200 and 1400 most of the time (my TDEE -20% is 1400). I'm only 5'1" and over 40, so my TDEE isn't high to begin with...A couple weeks ago I was seeing a couple ounces a week loss, but in the last week the scale has done nothing but go up! I'm not 10lbs heavier than last summer and it is KILLING me! I want to be strong, but I'm doing this mostly to lose the weight around my thighs, butt and stomach. Eating more is hard enough without seeing the scale creep up...I know I'm being a p**sy but I'm in a serious panic...I've gained a half inch on my thighs since summer so I'm back up to 21" I can't stand this...

Can someone talk me off the ledge and tell me when this should actually start working? Idk maybe I should just go back to the machines, cardio and undereating. So freaking frustrated....and after such an awesome session at the gym last night.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    @ auddii those are some phenominal numbers!!! I can't even imagine breakin 60lbs on my rows...great job!

Okay, I need some "there, there's" and "everything will be okays"...I know I lifted last night...but I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm officially up 5lbs in a week and a half? wtf? And yes, I do take my measurements and those have gone up too..except my waist which isn't budging. I've been working out harder since January, been doing pretty good with the eating...netting between 1200 and 1400 most of the time (my TDEE -20% is 1400). I'm only 5'1" and over 40, so my TDEE isn't high to begin with...A couple weeks ago I was seeing a couple ounces a week loss, but in the last week the scale has done nothing but go up! I'm not 10lbs heavier than last summer and it is KILLING me! I want to be strong, but I'm doing this mostly to lose the weight around my thighs, butt and stomach. Eating more is hard enough without seeing the scale creep up...I know I'm being a p**sy but I'm in a serious panic...I've gained a half inch on my thighs since summer so I'm back up to 21" I can't stand this...

Can someone talk me off the ledge and tell me when this should actually start working? Idk maybe I should just go back to the machines, cardio and undereating. So freaking frustrated....and after such an awesome session at the gym last night.

I weigh myself twice a day (because I'm obsessive, and I use my night weighs to see if I had enough water that day) and in the mornings after a lifting session I'm usually two pounds up from the day before. My official weigh in day is Saturday, and I do my last SL workout of the week on Thursday, so I have a day for the water weight to go down before I weigh in. I skipped a Thursday once and workout out on Friday, and I just about killed any loss I could have recorded on Saturday (Sunday it was back down, but damn it my weigh ins are on Saturday).

For now, give up the scale. Measure (somehow my measurements aren't changing all that much) and take progress pictures. I actually suck at measuring apparently because my clothes are fitting differently even though my measurements are pretty similar. I also measure weekly, and that's probably just too close together to see any kind of loss. When comparing measurements, I look back a month to see how I'm doing (also just noticed the progress tab on HeyBales spreadsheet, whoops).

It really will get better.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Speaking of heybales' spreadsheet, does anyone have the link handy? I'm tracking stuff in my MFP blog, but it would be nice to have it all here.

I'm thinking about switching up my cals and just eating the same-ish every day. Switching cals according to what I'm doing is a pain in the *kitten*.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    @juliet....I know exactly where you are coming from because the exact same thing happened to me in January. I was devastated (if you go back into the January thread you can read me devastation; otherwise I'm sure a couple of the ladies can back me up :laugh: ) I made some tweaks and have not weighed or measured since then. Official weigh in will be at the end of Feb, right before I start cycle 2 of SL. Anyway.....what I have learned since started this whole "heavy lifting" thing is that it is very likely that you will actually see changes in your body well before they will show up in any of the numbers. Like for me, I KNOW my body has changed. I have cut lines on the sides of my abs, and the line in the middle is starting (I know I have a ways to go for "abs" but still!), my *kitten* is WAY perkier than it was before, my quads are starting to just *look* stronger, my hip bones are becoming more pronounced (I have a serious fat issue in the lower abdomen, so this is big for me!). Not to mention some of the serious awesomeness that is happening in my arms and back :smile: This whole body recomp thing is super challenging, but just trust that you are doing some super duper awesome for your body and the results, while slow, are there :smile:

@extra....I actually created a thread in the main part of the group called "Haybales Spreadsheet" (yes, I spelled it wrong by accident :ohwell: The link is in there!
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Last night's workout (not counting warm up lifts):
    Squats: 120 5X5
    OHP: 55 5X5
    Dead lifts: 135 1X5

Like Vegas, I've had some disappointment at the scale. My weight really hasn't moved in the past year. However, even in the past three weeks, I'm down 4 cms in my shoulders, 4 cms in my upper abdomen, 4 cms around my right thigh, and 2 cms around my right bicep. Change is definitely happening, and I can tell: I feel smaller. Just keep in mind that the scale isn't everything -- it's all about how you feel (and measurements definitely help see some progress when the scale doesn't show it).
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Maybe you need to adjust your eating? I know you're a tiny person, but maybe it's something to talk to someone smarter than I about. When I started SL, I increased from about 1500 calories/day to 1800-2000, and I've noticed a difference. My metabolism has been shocked into working again. Maybe some days where you take in more calories and some where you take in the usual amount to kick your body into gear?