Stage 1

Options

Replies

• heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am moving into week 6 on Monday. I finished up week 5 by squatting 100lbs! I'm thrilled, but how good is that? I feel like I can do more, but am easing my way up.
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did my second A workout today and I rocked it! I increased the weight on most workouts without losing reps. and I SQUATTED THE BAR. It was easier than I thought it would be :) I asked the gym attendant to show me how to load plates on it properly so next time I can do more. So pumped.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Jaz - that is awesome!

Heyjay - congrats on hitting 100!!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I finished stage 1 this week.
    This morning I took measurements, I am really pleased.

Here they are

Biceps L -13.5. - 13
    Biceps R - 13.75 - 13.5
    Thigh L - 26.5 - 26
    Thigh R - 25.5 - 25
    Calf L - 15 - 15
    Calf R - 14.5 - 14.5
    Hips - 44 - 43
    Waist - 40 - 38.5

181.1 lb - 178.4 lbs
    Fat 33.2 - 33.1

Body fat didn't change but I am pleased with everything else.

Now on to stage 2.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you guys!

When I first started doing step ups, I was doing them with a step aerobics step with 2 lifters underneath so approximately 12 inches high, and with 20lbs dumbbells in each hand. After 2 workouts doing it that way, I decided my step was too short so I added 3 lifters and decreased the weight to 15 lbs in each hand. 2 more workouts, and I decided it was still too short so ever since (for the past 3 workouts), I've been using the bench that is about 24 inches tall. That is really hard and I could only do body weight at first but the last time I did it, I held 10lbs in each hand. So, overall, I decreased weight held, but increased height. Did anyone else progress this way? How tall are your step ups?
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Peasant - good job progressing! I was using the bench for step ups, but then switched to an aerobics step with six risers. It is so much more stable because it isn't padded. You want your leg at 90 degrees when it's on the step.

Rachie - congrats!!!
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah my bench is not padded or I would have stuck with the aerobics step. And my goal was to step up with my leg at a 90 degree angle so thanks for confirming that I was correct in my thinking. I was a little sad about having to decrease weight as I increased height, but my step now is a lot tougher than it was with 2 risers and 40lbs of weight. So I guess I'm doing it right!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Yeah my bench is not padded or I would have stuck with the aerobics step. And my goal was to step up with my leg at a 90 degree angle so thanks for confirming that I was correct in my thinking. I was a little sad about having to decrease weight as I increased height, but my step now is a lot tougher than it was with 2 risers and 40lbs of weight. So I guess I'm doing it right!

It's absolutely better to have the right height than to have heavy weights...WTG!
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I understand the importance of rest days, as hard as it is to resist the urge to work out more. I just have a question.. how important is the extra rest day per week? The book says no more than 3 workouts in 7 days, but if I'm not sore is it okay to skip that extra rest day? I'm feeling good and I have no plans today, while I have things to do tomorrow, so I thought I might hit the gym today. But that'll make it 4 workouts in 7 days (although I'll still have 48hrs between each one). Thanks for any input!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Jaz, I think you're fine as long as you have the 48 hours of rest.

I need a step. I use my bench, and my leg is way higher than parallel, and it's super tough to up my weights. I did 20 lbs 3x8 today and still didn't have great form on the last 2 for each leg.

I'm about to hit a wall with squats, too. I had a little trouble hoisting 60 lbs over my head. I need a squat rack!

And now my final tidbit...I DID 10 REAL PUSH UPS TODAY! First time ever. I've been using the bench because I'm so darn weak. I was grinning like a fool all by myself in my weight room after my first set of 8.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    chic-awesome on the pushups!!

jaz - I would choose some light cardio or something on the other off day. I know a bunch of people who all say 3x a week for lifting, and the rest days are very important. If they are working out on back to back days, they are splitting so they are doing upper body and lower body on opposite days, and this workout doesn't provide a split, they are all full body workouts. So, because it isn't just this workout that recommends it, but is a commonly accepted standard, I would do it this way.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Basically, the people who did it said it was not worth it, or they were .bored from a gazillion reps. They weighed in that the goal, from the author's perspective was to show progress, and that they got that feedback from the progression of weights and the tape measure.

Yeah, I totally got sick and tired of all the reps in the AMRAPs - but my PT was away, so it suited me to do them.
    Stage 2 A1 tonight! (must toddle off to the stage 2 thread).
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    chic-awesome on the pushups!!

jaz - I would choose some light cardio or something on the other off day. I know a bunch of people who all say 3x a week for lifting, and the rest days are very important. If they are working out on back to back days, they are splitting so they are doing upper body and lower body on opposite days, and this workout doesn't provide a split, they are all full body workouts. So, because it isn't just this workout that recommends it, but is a commonly accepted standard, I would do it this way.

Chic, awesome job on the pushups, I still have to use the bench!

Jaz, I'm feeling the same way about wanting to workout more. This is blasphemous for me, but I'm thinking about doing extra cardio on the off days too. My hip flexors especially have been getting really tight so I think the active rest might help.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Cardio is cool on days off, too. I always do cardio on "rest" days. I take one complete rest day per week and sometimes two.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Jaz - it will probably be fine to lift tomorrow, but in general, I would stick to 3x/week. I try to so SOMETHING every day...cardio, Yoga, etc.

Chic - great job on progressing beyond your equipment. Huge congrats on the push-ups!!

McBell - I continue to stalk this thread even though I am in stage 2.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    lcu - I'm glad you still stalk this thread, it is great encouragement for the rest of us. :)

Workout B always knocks me out. I have to have a nap after.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Ended week five with a 105# squat!! My goal was to hit 100# by the end of stage one. Still haven't hit my goal of at least 100# deadlift, but I got one week left!!

Looking ahead to stage 2....a little worried. :noway: :laugh:

Everyone have a great week!
  • KatLifter
    Options
    JCJS - great work on your squat. Last week I realized that early morning I can't do math so I loaded the bar to 115 instead of 105, and I did it!

I'm also starting stage 2 on Thursday and I'm a little worried. It's great we'll be starting at the same time!
  • KatLifter
    Options
    Hi Ladies, so I just finished my final State 1 workout this morning!

Squat: 65 lb
    > 115 lb
    Push Up: knees
    > toes (and getting lower every time)
    Seated Row: 55 lb
    > 80 lb
    Step up: 30 lb
    >60lb on an 18" step
    Prone Jacknife: was always able to do this, but hopefully my form is getting better.

Deadlift: 95 lb
    > 145lb (grip strength still lets me down)
    Shoulder Press: 15 lb each hand
    > 25 lb each hand (not great form yet but there is no 22.5 lb dumbbell)
    Lat Pulldown: 55lb
    > 80 lb
    Lunge: 30 lb ----> 50 lb
    Swiss ball crunch
    > Always able to do these with 25+ lbs

Moving on to stage 2 on Thursday :noway:
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    hello

I did S1A4 today...was meant to do that one Saturday but I was too tired to do it before work as I was out the night before...

It was great at the gym today...Really quiet!

I had a problem with my grip today...i think...my left hand hurt when i was holding the weight...kind of as if my palm was cramping...does that mean my grip is too weak? If so what can I do?

Looking forward to my next workout as I will be half way then...