March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options

Replies

• chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You ladies are ON FIRE today. :laugh: I haven't necessary noticed an increase in "circuit training" stamina, but I do feel a lot less jiggly and therefore enjoy it more. And on a related note, while we are sharing TMI, hubby absolutely cannot keep his eyes (and hands) off my "squat butt." I put a thong on and that man is putty in my hands.

Goals for the month:
    Squat 120 (at 115 now, failed 117 once)
    Bench: 80 (at 70 now, felt fairly easy)
    Row: 75 (did 70, it was tough)
    Press: 62 (59 was tough)
    Dead: 160 (failed at 155 once) Bodyweight is 145 so this makes me feel BAD *kitten*.

I also am going to cut cals just a bit more, down to 1800. I turn 40 at the end of May and just planned a girls trip to Scottsdale so I'm motivated to really concentrate on the diet. But on the 17th---hell yeah for the green beer!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    @Vegas After being with the same woman for 12 years and catching the live show close up of my daughters birth. There's almost nothing that is tmi for me. Oh and my ex has 5 sisters. Yea while lotta estrogen at the holidays. Also. I think I may have to test this theory out myself. Just need a test subject.

I will be drinking green beer hopefully while watching flogging Molly. The usual tradition.

Starting Weights I started from the bare minimum. I doubt I would have gotten the results I had if I went with my ego and started heavier. I implore anyone that doesnt have a weightlifting background to do the same. Or if you do start lighter than you think you should I believe it can only help you in the long run.

Starting weight
    Squats - 45
    Ohp - 45
    Deadlift - 95
    Rows - 45
    Bench - 45

After the first week of feb
    Squats - 175
    Ohp - 95 and stalling
    Deadlift - 225 bodyweignt
    Rows - 135
    Bench - 115

Now
    Squats - 215 next session will be bodyweight yay!
    Ohp - 95 and stalling still grrr deloaded and worked back up last time was my first re attempt at 5-5-5-4-1 I hate this exercise.
    Deadlift - 265
    Rows - 145
    Bench - 135

Have seen a lot of good progression this month (exception being OHP) it's getting a lot harder now, but I welcome the challenge. I am fighting through the reps. I hope this doesn't mean im stalling soon. I am going to work hard and if it happens then it happens and Ill follow the program. I am eating at a deficit so that may have some effect but I hope not too much.

Goals this month
    Squats - 275
    Ohp - 105
    Deadlift - 325
    Rows - 175
    Bench - 160

Goals are just based on the linear progression other than OHP. Here's to hoping for no stalls

Really want to hit 315 on the deadlift tho. Would love to go beast mode with 3 45 lb plates on!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Yeah march! Mmm I've had bad luck with knee related things since I started SL, so it's hard to tell how circuit training is going in that regard. :laugh: I'll have to take note when I'm all healed up.

March goals.

-Get back on the protein wagon. I was doing great in January, and kind of slipped up in Feb. In March this macro is MINE.
    -Eat at my actual calorie goal for 2 weeks. (I've been eating it this week.) This is just for science-y reasons to see if I lose what I "should."

Weights- 3/22 will be my 36th workout. \o/ 12 weeks down. I cant wait to see my numbers. I never in a million years thought I'd be able to lift this much this soon. These are my end of March Goals, but if I get them in week 12 even better! Rawr.
    Squat-150
    Bench-115
    Row-115
    OHP- 80
    Dead-190

ETA: No green beer, but maybe some Harp.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Oh, you guys are funny. So glad I joined the group. Hopefully in the future I’ll be able to feel conformable about discussing the horrible “friction burns” that I have on my elbows “thanks to my office chair” (I’m sticking to that story. Yeah, yeah, the hubby squats too). Anyhow; goals:

1. Find a new gym that has more than one squat rack + childcare during the weekends.
    2. If I find a gym add the 3rd session to the week (only doing two a week until I fix the childcare dilemma)
    3. Get the x-rays of my back and finally get everything cleared on that front.
    4. Hire a PT to fine tune my form before I start lifting really heavy.
    5. Squat 60% of my BW by the end of the month (I know I’m a weakling for now)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Weight goals:

Squat: 150
    Bench: 100
    Row: 125
    OHP: 75
    Deads: 175

Other things:

-I'm calling it circuit training now, too. It's fun. :happy:
    -I'm going to try to go binge free for the month, also. This would be absolutely huge for me and is not going to be easy.
    -Shamrock shakes are yucky. :sick:
    -One day of cardio at the gym. I hate it so much now but I think I can commit to at least one day.
    -Go to bed earlier.

I'm excited!!

Chubby -- What? No shamrock shake for YOU? :laugh:

I am calling it "Circuit Training" now, too...I've made that reference a couple times at the office already. Am hoping for a little circuit training time tomorrow when #3 son is out of the house at the parade doing his thing. :bigsmile: We are having a terrible time syncing schedules, now that I'm going to bed so early. But dying to drive, since I am thinking I may have a little more stamina and a lot less jiggle, as it were. :wink:

One of my friends here smacked my *kitten* on the way out today, and it didn't reverb or shake. Bahahahahaha!:laugh:

OMG...y'all's goal numbers are making me feel really freaking lightweight over here, LOL...And I know...what it boils down to is me vs. me, and everyone is different and/or at a different stage of the game. Is all good...they are UBER impressive numbers, and I am seriously proud of all of you!

I am envious of those of you who can blame temporary psychosis/moodiness/etc. on hormones, TOM, etc. I did the hysterectomy thing in 07, so when I get all psycho? It's just because I am being a b!tch.

@Lynnsr1 - re: your #5...I totally get where you are coming from! :glasses:

Ok...quittin' time in 17 minutes and probably need to get SOME semblance of work done before I leave, LOL...
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Goals for the month:
    Squat 120 (at 115 now, failed 117 once)
    Bench: 80 (at 70 now, felt fairly easy)
    Row: 75 (did 70, it was tough)
    Press: 62 (59 was tough)
    Dead: 160 (failed at 155 once) Bodyweight is 145 so this makes me feel BAD *kitten*.

I also am going to cut cals just a bit more, down to 1800. I turn 40 at the end of May and just planned a girls trip to Scottsdale so I'm motivated to really concentrate on the diet. But on the 17th---hell yeah for the green beer!

Awesome numbers! Also happy early birthday. I'm sure it'll be a fun time it's a cool place. I live there :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    @juliemouse.... Nonono to the Shamrock shakes. I worked at McDonald's for awhile and people would come in and ask if we had them. Daily occurance. I had never had one so when we got them, I tried it. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    @juliemouse.... Nonono to the Shamrock shakes. I worked at McDonald's for awhile and people would come in and ask if we had them. Daily occurance. I had never had one so when we got them, I tried it. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

perhaps you were expecting it to taste like a little green leafy plant...bwahaahah
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

perhaps you were expecting it to taste like a little green leafy plant...bwahaahah

Maybe... I should have been wary when no one could tell me what it tasted like (frozen mint-yuck if anyone doesn't know. Sorry juliemouse :flowerforyou: ).
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    Binging story for those who may relate:

I'm happy to say I haven't binged since starting SL. Woohoo! I had a really hard time dealing with stress when I quit smoking. I do think I used to start to binge when I smoked, but would interrupt it with a cigarette. I smoked from ages 13/14-27, so when normal people are learning healthy coping mechanisms I failed. Hey better late than never!

Anyway for 3 years post smoking I just dealt really badly with stress, and it completely derailed my weight loss. I'd be doing all good, eating well, then something would happen, and I'd binge. Not just a little "oh teehee I ate 3 cookies and now I'm over my calories," but more of "They're changing the commission structure and I'm going to be broke as ****" and all of a sudden an entire box of cereal, dinner leftovers, and a pint of ice cream are gone. I think being on a vlcd didn't help, but I still did this even when I had fallen off the diet wagon. I was so embarrassed I couldn't even log even though at the time I didn't use the social part of MFP, and my diary was private anyway. Before MFP I used logging tools that didn't even have a social component, so who knows.

Something clicked in November when I was at my highest weight ever. I decided I was going to recommit to logging, and logging everything no matter what. I just couldn't live like that anymore. I don't even mind too much being fat(ter,) but I felt so shamed and embarrassed, and unhappy with how I was dealing. And I never feel embarrassed; I usually just own it. The last time I felt embarrassed in public was in 7th grade when I bled through my pad all over my pants and left a pool of blood on the plastic chair in the assembly room. FML moment for sure.

I had been reading about EMTWL (which is pretty similar to what the ETP folks say), and decided to give it a shot. I also felt like it was time to become the badass I was meant to be and figured I should start lifting weights when I came back from my trip home. So far I've been successful with not binging, and I have logged EVERYTHING. Well I try anyway. :laugh: I do over eat from time to time, but in a mmm this is too good to have just a few kind of way, or a gym was hard need sustenance way.

Just wanted to share to give fellow binge tending badasses hope, and to let you know if you need support reach out to me.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    *circuit training* Ha ha! Umm.. yes, much improved :smokin:

Goals? What is this goals you speak of? Perhaps I should...

How about just lifting 3 times a week!

And hitting 50 on my OHP. Maybe if I move my push-ups around to another time, I can (thanks for info.).
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    @tree - aw, the biggest of hugs, slaps on the *kitten*, atta girls and highest of fives for getting your *kitten* in order. awesome job girl.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yep, circuit training is much better since my back hurts a lot less than it used to. Hubby has 100lbs on me so that's no small feat. Anyway, that was my TMI for the month of March.

I have no idea what to set for lifting goals, truth be told. I don't follow a strict loading path, just whatever I'm up for that day. I try to at least go up by 5 lbs every week for every lift, which would put me at 20 lbs more across the board for all lifts, and I think I can be happy with that, although that may not be realistic for bench presses and OHP because my left chest/shoulder is so weak yet. We will see. Lately I hit a lot of PRs just by getting a wild hair up my butt during lifting and adding more weight just to see if I can. So far, so good.

Nothing to report today since it's my off day. More tomorrow.

@Tree -- I did have a binge this week, but it was on pita chips and homemade tsasiki sauce, which thankfully consisted of mostly greek yogurt. Boo on the chips carbs, yay on the extra protein. I just logged it and got over it. I'm not going to start being ashamed or lie to myself. Hiccups are going to happen, and I've got my daily calories set in anticipation of it. So that when they do happen, I can log it and get on with life. At least I have enough activity under my belt now to provide balance, and I'm making far better food choices than ever before, so at this point I'm aiming for progress, not perfection.

Oh and speaking of beer ... gotta get with the hubby and get to brewing another batch of honey lager since I'm almost out. :drinker:
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    @tree - aw, the biggest of hugs, slaps on the *kitten*, atta girls and highest of fives for getting your *kitten* in order. awesome job girl.

Aww thanks!

I forgot another goal is to start learning Russian. My bf and I are planning on going to world cup 2018 in Russia, and I figured what better motivation to learn a new language. Also helpful if I get recruited by the CIA.
  • KillA_Beezy
    KillA_Beezy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Started mid January with an empty bar. I did a little screwing around in the beginning but for the month of February I've definitely been following the program. I know I will be missing 2 days because of a trip I'm taking, unless I luck out and get a workout in somewhere while I'm out of town. I am counting more on eating poorly and drinking more than I should.

My numbers now (as of yesterday):

Squats: 105 lbs
    Overhead Press: 55 lbs
    Deadlift: 145 lbs
    Bench Press: 80 lbs (did not complete 5x5 on first try)
    Barbell Row: 65 lbs (somewhat concerned about form, I tried 75 lbs last time but noticed some serious form problems so I am going to deload a bit)

Goals for the end of March:

Squats: 135 lbs
    Overhead Press: 65 lbs
    Deadlift: 165 lbs
    Bench Press: 95 lbs
    Barbell Row: 75 lbs

I hope this is doable. I am working on a deficit at the moment, I have lost 7 lbs since the beginning of January but would like to lose at least 11-13 more to try to hit a more healthful BMI and bodyfat zone.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    March goals:
    1) Continue with stronglifts or certainly weights, and add in some bodyweight stuff more regularly as I like the feeling I get in my muscles from doing crunches and planks.
    2) start dancing again. I did tap, modern and ballet when younger and have always loved dance but avoided it as I have been worried my mild copd would stop me being able to oeep up. But I have found a very good looking local dance school, run by a lady who was in the national ballet and they do ballet, tap, performance dance etc. Since performing arts has been a passion since I was 5, and since I am finding gym cardio boring lately, I think it will be good for me.
    3) Get back on my bike and into the countryside.
    4) Walk more.
    5) Drop an inch off my waist and hips to get back to where I was.
    6) Combat this wretched binge eating that is periodically invading days of my life.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I'm happy to say I haven't binged since starting SL. Woohoo! I had a really hard time dealing with stress when I quit smoking. I do think I used to start to binge when I smoked, but would interrupt it with a cigarette. I smoked from ages 13/14-27, so when normal people are learning healthy coping mechanisms I failed. Hey better late than never!

Anyway for 3 years post smoking I just dealt really badly with stress, and it completely derailed my weight loss. I'd be doing all good, eating well, then something would happen, and I'd binge. Not just a little "oh teehee I ate 3 cookies and now I'm over my calories," but more of "They're changing the commission structure and I'm going to be broke as ****" and all of a sudden an entire box of cereal, dinner leftovers, and a pint of ice cream are gone. I think being on a vlcd didn't help, but I still did this even when I had fallen off the diet wagon. I was so embarrassed I couldn't even log even though at the time I didn't use the social part of MFP, and my diary was private anyway. Before MFP I used logging tools that didn't even have a social component, so who knows.

Something clicked in November when I was at my highest weight ever. I decided I was going to recommit to logging, and logging everything no matter what. I just couldn't live like that anymore. I don't even mind too much being fat(ter,) but I felt so shamed and embarrassed, and unhappy with how I was dealing. And I never feel embarrassed; I usually just own it. The last time I felt embarrassed in public was in 7th grade when I bled through my pad all over my pants and left a pool of blood on the plastic chair in the assembly room. FML moment for sure.

I had been reading about EMTWL (which is pretty similar to what the ETP folks say), and decided to give it a shot. I also felt like it was time to become the badass I was meant to be and figured I should start lifting weights when I came back from my trip home. So far I've been successful with not binging, and I have logged EVERYTHING. Well I try anyway. :laugh: I do over eat from time to time, but in a mmm this is too good to have just a few kind of way, or a gym was hard need sustenance way.

Just wanted to share to give fellow binge tending badasses hope, and to let you know if you need support reach out to me.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Can relate to the binging. Started when I dropped too much weight, but still continues to be an issue even after gaining all of it back again, lol. And we are talking sometimes 2 pints of ben and jerrys on top of other stuff. I think my worst binge totalled 10,000 calories. That was over about z4 hours. I am very all or nothing. If i eat just a bit too much in way of refined carbs etc, it spirals into that carb hunger and cravings and I totally fall off my usual healthy eating into the utter and complete opposite.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    *ahem* yeah, I've never logged "calisthenics" (mentally, if not on MFP) after a particularly heavy session. No sirree. ;-)

March goals bear a striking resemblance to Feb due to being ill.
    1. Don't get ill
    2. hack squat 70 (currently 50-55)
    3. Bench 50, or at least get to the Oly bar
    4. OP 45
    5. Row 60 with proper form
    6. DL 130 (tantalisingly close to bodyweight but I'm not going to push)
    7. Eat my damn calories back and stop logging lifting calories to sort out my deficir
    8. Try tempeh for protein
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Can relate to the binging. Started when I dropped too much weight, but still continues to be an issue even after gaining all of it back again, lol. And we are talking sometimes 2 pints of ben and jerrys on top of other stuff. I think my worst binge totalled 10,000 calories. That was over about z4 hours. I am very all or nothing. If i eat just a bit too much in way of refined carbs etc, it spirals into that carb hunger and cravings and I totally fall off my usual healthy eating into the utter and complete opposite.

So glad I'm not the only one who has issues with binging. I absolutely hate it because I feel so out of control and its like I can't stop. I tend to avoid bringing things I binge on into the house with the except of peanut butter because that is hubby's go to snack. My biggest binge ever: I cooked a huge smoked pork shoulder one night, me and hubs ate the WHOLE thing in a few hours. We are talking a 8-10lb pork shoulder.

In other news, great numbers everyone. I am hoping to see some progress over the next few weeks. My numbers aren't as big since I just started.

"Circuit training" is much better especially since hubs has lost close to 100lbs. Now if we can just work on the jigglys.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think "don't get ill" is everyone's goal. It goes without saying.

re: Binge eating - I think binge eating happens to a HUGE number of people when they start to restrict calories for too hard or for too long, or even when they just start *thinking* about food a lot. Some of its body chemistry/hormones -your body starts sending you signals that you're STARVING. I think when you start to feel bingey on your diet its a good time to take a diet break and eat maintenance for 1-2 weeks and see if you can get those hormones to balance out again.

I was NEVER a binge eater before - I'm a nosher, I like a few bites of a lot of things. I have actually thrown out pints of ice cream because they got all weird and crystally before I finished them. But after cutting really hard for a month last year I would get these intense desires to eat and eat and EAT. I've also noticed that I like foods I used to dislike - like chow mein (used to think it was very gross, now I can eat a huge pile of it) or muffins (bleh) when I'm dieting. I think it really does mess bad with your brain chemistry.

As far as stress or sadness eating though - I'm actually a BIG believer in targeted stress eating. Like "I am having a crappy day, I am going to go and buy a big cupcake and eat the entire thing" (or whatever food you like that isn't gross like a cupcake - cake being another thing I like way more when dieting). Making it something where you are mentally PERMISSIVE ("I can have this entire cake if I want it") instead of something where you feel like "I should be restrictive but I just can't!" can make a huge huge HUGE difference for a lot of people. It takes away that "I feel so bad that I can't stop" feeling because you've made it ok - and really, chances are pretty good that almost anyone can fit an extra 2000 calories of cake into their month - if you dropped your calories by an extra 75/day you'd completely make up for it AND You'd have had a day where you actually felt happy because you had some yummy treat. The only rule I make is - no eating food you don't really love. If you don't have anything you love you have permission to go to the store and get it, but don't waste a treat on stuff that's meh.

I read this recently on the subject, and while I already had the above feelings (it came from a professor I had in college actually - behavioral psych - who felt like using food as an incentive or reward was a useful tool because most people react so strongly positive towards it) it kind of reminded me that it really is about how you feel. http://180degreehealth.com/2013/02/the-feedbag-method-how-to-beat-food-cravings-bingeing-and-emotional-eating