Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Options

Replies

• lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Harris calculates my BMR at 1447 according to fat2fit.
    Scoobysworkshop under Mifflin it estimates my BMR 1388 and Harris 1439

This is according to:
    Current Weight - 142lbs
    Height - 66inches (5ft 6")
    Age - 29
    Female

I do believe I should be shooting around 1500-1600cals per day so this is what I will aim for over the next few wks and see how I go.

Thanks for the info :0)

Sorry about the bad figures, I forgot to remove previous metric measurements from the spreadsheet, and that overrides the lb and in stats. I seem to rarely help those using metric I didn't even notice them there.

Indeed, 1386 and 1446. Not much margin for body stress at 1500, so just watch how you feel doing the lifts. Might even compare strength when eating at TDEE to confirm you don't lose too much.

Thanks for running those stats for me anyway :0)

Yeah I figured I'm not much over BMR with 1500 especially if I'm going to start strength training 3 times a wk

I will play around with my numbers over the next few weeks and see what gives me best results for both weight loss and lifting

Thanks again
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    thankyou! your post is so amazing. i also am in the process of increasing my calories and have experienced these same fears. congrats on everyone for taking the leap into this healthy change. x
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Tagged for future reference material. Very well said.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bump
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I've been worried that I've been netting too few calories and that's why my weight loss has stalled, especially after adding CrossFit 3-5x a week.

Going to make a more serious attempt to calculate my numbers once and for all and make it a point to eat/net more calories. It's so confusing with all the acronyms and different formulas!! =(
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've been worried that I've been netting too few calories and that's why my weight loss has stalled, especially after adding CrossFit 3-5x a week.

Going to make a more serious attempt to calculate my numbers once and for all and make it a point to eat/net more calories. It's so confusing with all the acronyms and different formulas!! =(

You can do it! We are all here to help if you need it! :)

(those darn acronyms can get ya at first!)
  • leedebter
    leedebter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Taking the plunge today and upping my calories to 1800. It's such a mental thing. I've been upping them for 3 weeks but after reading this thread I've decided to go right up to 20% of TDEE. Helps so much to read everyone's post and know my feelings about this are not crazy. I've low cal dieted for so long and have completely messed up my metabalism. Thanks everyone!
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Overwhelmed, and this idea is the only thing that seems to make sense at this point. I realized I have been netting below my BMR for some time now.

A year ago I was 110 lbs, down somewhat mysteriously from 120-125 after quitting birth control. I was eating burgers at lunch and frozen pizzas at night and still maintaining 110lbs. Then I met my bf, went back on the pill, and started drinking beer. It seemed like once I added the beer, I gradually gained weight. I'm at 119ish now. I drink FAR less than I did as well as start exercising several times a week, and yet I am not losing any weight at all.

Have been logging for almost a month and a half and found that I am (was) eating below BMR (approx. 1380). According to online calculators my TDEE is 1700-1800, but my bodymedia shows like 1650 for days I sit on the couch and just watch tv, and about 1850 for days I work out. It's just a really small window for change. Frustrating.

I am hoping that eating more (netting BMR) will help.. somehow?
  • tblackwell1234
    tblackwell1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! =) I really needed this today. Your analogies have helped me SO VERY MUCH! And I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Hugs,
    Toni
  • ctheluck
    ctheluck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have really upped my exercise (added 4 45 minute spin classes a week) since September and have not lost any weight. I started logging my food again and discovered I was under-eating by a lot.

When I started reading the boards more, I found the TDEE info and entered my info in multiple calculators, landing on this one because it had them most input fields for how my day is broken up. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

it says my TDEE is 2110, so 20% less would be 1688 per day

I have my MFP goal set at 1 lb a week, putting me at 1320/day plus exercise

If I calculate the weekly MFP goal, add in my 2000 exercise calories (for the week), and average it out by day, it ends up being 1605/day which is actually pretty close.

So am I better to eat that 1600-1700 every day, or keep alternating, eating extra on my spin days and less on my rest days?
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have really upped my exercise (added 4 45 minute spin classes a week) since September and have not lost any weight. I started logging my food again and discovered I was under-eating by a lot.

When I started reading the boards more, I found the TDEE info and entered my info in multiple calculators, landing on this one because it had them most input fields for how my day is broken up. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If I calculate the weekly MFP goal, add in my 2000 exercise calories (for the week), and average it out by day, it ends up being 1605/day which is actually pretty close.

So am I better to eat that 1600-1700 every day, or keep alternating, eating extra on my spin days and less on my rest days?

My understanding is that you can do either way, depending on what you prefer.
    I find eating the same every day much easier than adjusting ever day for exercise. And, I would be starving on non-exercise days if I didn't spread it out. Just using my TDEE (or TDEE -cut%) works best for my eating habits.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Preference. As you get closer to goal weight, that 20% should go down to 10%, just as that 1 lb goal should go to 1/2 lb.

Some like the reward aspect of unplanned exercise, do more, eat more.
    Some like the encouragement aspect of planned exercise, miss a workout, eat less than expected.

There is something to be said for learning to eat for your workouts. Also something to be said for having days easily planned out.

Some even find one way during the diet easier, but prefer the other way when on maintenance.
  • aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tracytxray
    Options
    bump
  • ctheluck
    ctheluck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I will try eating more on the days I exercise for now and see how it goes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • Slappydap
    Slappydap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fabulous post - thankyou ! - I am very early stages of increased calories (following a low cal diet mentality) - I totally intend to follow this through as a "life change" & this entire post is EXACTLY what I needed

Thankyou again

Jan x
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love that calculator: www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced.

No lie it gives me 3,168 as my TDEE, and it's about 300 cals lower at my goal weight of about 20lbs lighter.
  • amos481
    amos481 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Right, so hoping someone can explain why the 30% protein is important, and is it research supported?

Thanks!