Stage 1

Options

Replies

• IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    Just started 1 A today!!
    That Olympic bar is HEAVY! I didn't even attempt lifting it. I used a 40lb barbell from the 'ready made' weight rack is that ok? Anyone else not able to lift the Olympic bar?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    IliN82 - don't feel bad about your starting point. The key at the beginning is to lift where you can to get the form down right. You will be adding in no time...you are just 5 pounds away from the BIG bar!

marines - the table on p 138 is just an example of logging for all of your workouts. pp140&141 are the actual stage 1A&B workouts.

cphaneuf - sorry to hear about your injury!

bertha - it definitely sounds like you should be adding more weight if you were not challenged. Really, you need to experiment to find the right starting point for you. start low to focus on form and then add each set if you can. the way to make PJKs harder is to add a pike after the tuck and before you go into the plank.

daresie - you should ask someone at your gym...the machines are all different.
  • marinesweetheart
    marinesweetheart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    IliN82 - don't feel bad about your starting point. The key at the beginning is to lift where you can to get the form down right. You will be adding in no time...you are just 5 pounds away from the BIG bar!

marines - the table on p 138 is just an example of logging for all of your workouts. pp140&141 are the actual stage 1A&B workouts.

cphaneuf - sorry to hear about your injury!

bertha - it definitely sounds like you should be adding more weight if you were not challenged. Really, you need to experiment to find the right starting point for you. start low to focus on form and then add each set if you can. the way to make PJKs harder is to add a pike after the tuck and before you go into the plank.

daresie - you should ask someone at your gym...the machines are all different.

Thank you for answering. I was taking the chart way too literally lol
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have decided I am going to do an extra workout at each level. So instead of the 16 workouts, there will be 24. Is anyone else going this route? Did you see any advantage in doing the extra workout per level?
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have decided I am going to do an extra workout at each level. So instead of the 16 workouts, there will be 24. Is anyone else going this route? Did you see any advantage in doing the extra workout per level?
    Originally I was going to do it, but then changed my mind. But now after A4, I'm thinking about adding the extra ones in because I don't feel like I have it all down pat yet and I'm already halfway through. I want a few more weeks to perfect my form!
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    Originally I was going to do it, but then changed my mind. But now after A4, I'm thinking about adding the extra ones in because I don't feel like I have it all down pat yet and I'm already halfway through. I want a few more weeks to perfect my form!

Although, I am not a beginner at most of the moves, I am a beginner when it comes to the heavier weights. Before this I only used my 3,5, and 8 pound dumbbells. So I just wanted to spend as much time with each of those moves as possible before moving on. I am already having a better appreciation of lunges when I use to hate them with a burning passion... That hate has been replaced with step-ups currently... :laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I am. I'm a total noobie with heavy weights so I wanted to start light to get my form down. The extra workouts let me start at probably too light a weight but when I'm done I think I'll be happier with my form :happy:
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Did workout A3 yesterday (second time with actual weight) and definitely got my form down! No more pain in my upper back/spine! The videos on stronglifts.com really helped me understand what I am supposed to be doing when I am on my own. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options

I am. I'm a total noobie with heavy weights so I wanted to start light to get my form down. The extra workouts let me start at probably too light a weight but when I'm done I think I'll be happier with my form :happy:

I am too. Although I'm using weights that are heavy for me they are very light compared to the numbers posted here. I am half way through and yesterday increased my squats to 7kg (15.5 lb) dumbells. I would love to get to squatting with the oly bar by the end of stage 1, even without any extra weights.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Here's the thread I mentioned: http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=53707

And the direct link to the step-up description and video: http://nicktumminello.com/2013/01/step-ups-a-better-way-that-eliminates-cheating/
    Oh dear - I've been doing the step ups all wrong from the look of it! Just finished workout 4 of A. I don't know that I have a high enough bench to do the version illustrated - I was using my step on the high version. Will just have to experiment I guess.

Does anyone else use a similar weight for deadlifts/squats and rows? My partner commented that this seemed strange. It might be poor form for either that means I can't lift enough or am lifting too heavy for the rows.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this programme although I struggle when working out at home occasionally and have to adapt exercises.
  • lcuconley
    Options

And the direct link to the step-up description and video: http://nicktumminello.com/2013/01/step-ups-a-better-way-that-eliminates-cheating/
    Oh dear - I've been doing the step ups all wrong from the look of it! Just finished workout 4 of A. I don't know that I have a high enough bench to do the version illustrated - I was using my step on the high version. Will just have to experiment I guess.

Does anyone else use a similar weight for deadlifts/squats and rows? My partner commented that this seemed strange. It might be poor form for either that means I can't lift enough or am lifting too heavy for the rows.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying this programme although I struggle when working out at home occasionally and have to adapt exercises.

The step in that video is def higher than is generally recommended. While I agree that the goal is for the nonworking leg to not push off, this video seems extreme. The working leg is supposed to start parallel.

I agree that it seems strange to lift the same for rows and squats. Concentrate on form to make sure you aren't lifting too much on rows and make sure you are going up when you can on your squats.
  • TygerTwoTails
    Options
    BTW what's the 'real' step ups. Can you post a link for it. Just wondering if I am doing it right.

As for the squats, I've been using the empty barbell all along, but only recently realized that I wasn't going low enough. I had a mental block -- I didn't want to go back to body weight, ya know? But until I get my form right, I know that's what I need to do. Same with the step-ups. I was up to 30lbs (total) with those.

Thanks for this...I've been doing them wrong too! I tried this way during today's workout and they were much harder.

Yes, thank you! I think that this trick will really help make step-ups more beneficial :)
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just did my first workout A1 yesterday :) Feel great! But I have a question - because my gym only has a smith machine (and no squat or power racks >.<), I didn't really have a choice. No idea how to calculate the weight I am squatting with a smith machine though. Any got any idea? ^^ Also, if you have an alternative for me to do squats without a rack, I'd love that!
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The step in that video is def higher than is generally recommended. While I agree that the goal is for the nonworking leg to not push off, this video seems extreme. The working leg is supposed to start parallel.

I agree that it seems strange to lift the same for rows and squats. Concentrate on form to make sure you aren't lifting too much on rows and make sure you are going up when you can on your squats.
    Many thanks - that is really helpful - and I'm reassured that the bench on the video is a little high although it has prompted me to be much more aware of my form on step ups as I think I'm being a little slap dash!
    Good advice on the squats and deadlifts/rows.
    Just did my first workout A1 yesterday :) Feel great! But I have a question - because my gym only has a smith machine (and no squat or power racks >.<), I didn't really have a choice. No idea how to calculate the weight I am squatting with a smith machine though. Any got any idea? ^^ Also, if you have an alternative for me to do squats without a rack, I'd love that!
    Most Smith machines have the weights specified - just don't add anything for the bar - good luck! (I must admit I sometimes gravitate towards the Smith machine when the gym is busy as I still get intimidated by the huge men queuing behind me for the squat rack!)
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Most Smith machines have the weights specified - just don't add anything for the bar - good luck! (I must admit I sometimes gravitate towards the Smith machine when the gym is busy as I still get intimidated by the huge men queuing behind me for the squat rack!)

Hey! Ahh, I see ;) Thanks for the help :D haha, once I get through NROL4W, I'm going to start working out at my office gym lol. So many men in the weights area (and some I work with), so I need to make sure I won't embarrass myself XD
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I don't know if it's strange but usually lower body is much stronger than upper. I know if you are doing rows on a cable equipment you will be able to do more than if you were using free weights or barbell so maybe it's not all that strange. Right now I workout at home and don't have a cable equipment so I use resistance bands. I can't remember how much I did when I did this program a couple years ago at a gym. My squats and deadlifts aren't that different from each other I guess but I can always squat more than deadlift.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just finished 1a2. I'm at 40 for squats 60 for deadlift and 70 for rows.

• TygerTwoTails
    Options
    Just did B3 last night and I have been dragging my husband to the gym to start lifting with me. I was trying to show him form for deadlifts with his bar/weight and discovered that I was being too easy on myself with my weight. I can totally lift 95 for a full 12 reps, who knew?! It was challenging, but I think I could do even more!

Also I think that for me the warm-ups (I do the 4 listed in the book) are crucial. Last time I tried to do the lunges in B2, it hurt A LOT and I realized that I forgot to do the warm-up exercises. Last night for B3 I did the warm-ups and was even able to up my weight on lunges!
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    I did another A workout last night and could not believe the difference I am already seeing in my biceps!

Also, after trying three different chairs, the stair case and my weight bench for my step-ups, I have finally found the best place in my house for my super short legs to be parallel when doing step-ups and not feel like I am climbing a mountain.... It's the side of my bathtub! It even calls for a little bit more balance... :laugh: I seriously need to just go and find one of those steps you can adjust. I found some steps at ****s, but they are they non adjustable ones and they, like everything else, are to high for my legs....

Hope you are all doing well ladies! :drinker:
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Also, after trying three different chairs, the stair case and my weight bench for my step-ups, I have finally found the best place in my house for my super short legs to be parallel when doing step-ups and not feel like I am climbing a mountain.... It's the side of my bathtub! It even calls for a little bit more balance... :laugh:

OMG...be careful!!!