Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Also, after trying three different chairs, the stair case and my weight bench for my step-ups, I have finally found the best place in my house for my super short legs to be parallel when doing step-ups and not feel like I am climbing a mountain.... It's the side of my bathtub! It even calls for a little bit more balance... :laugh:

OMG...be careful!!!

Hell yeah!

I use an exercise step with 4 large catalogues under each side (as I don't have risers) to raise it to the correct height - that might be a safer idea?
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Also, after trying three different chairs, the stair case and my weight bench for my step-ups, I have finally found the best place in my house for my super short legs to be parallel when doing step-ups and not feel like I am climbing a mountain.... It's the side of my bathtub! It even calls for a little bit more balance... :laugh:

OMG...be careful!!!

Hell yeah!

I use an exercise step with 4 large catalogues under each side (as I don't have risers) to raise it to the correct height - that might be a safer idea?

You know... I never thought of that ^^^^ I do have some big phone books... I am going to try that.

No worries ladies... I wasn't planning on using the tub for any other A workouts, it just worked for that day. Believe it or not, the weight bench was worse than the bathtub.However, as the girl that managed to fall UP, not down, the stadium stairs at a football game, I don't think there is anything "safe" out there for me lol. but definitely going to be looking into safer alternatives.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    OMG ladies, be careful with those step ups, even the catalogues don't sound very secure to me. I got this, it's only a square, not a full step you'd usually do step aerobics with.
    http://www.amazon.com/Escalade-5588-High-Step/dp/B0007OWSVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363899264&sr=8-1&keywords=the+high+step
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options

OMG...be careful!!!

Hell yeah!

You know... I never thought of that ^^^^ I do have some big phone books... I am going to try that.

No worries ladies... I wasn't planning on using the tub for any other A workouts, it just worked for that day. Believe it or not, the weight bench was worse than the bathtub.However, as the girl that managed to fall UP, not down, the stadium stairs at a football game, I don't think there is anything "safe" out there for me lol. but definitely going to be looking into safer alternatives.

Falling up is a challenge, but I've definitely been there! :wink:
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I met with a trainer yesterday to go over all the Stage 1 exercises, and came away with a few substitutes that will work much better for me. First, I can't squat for anything! It was truly awful. Thank goodness I didn't go along for the next several weeks doing it so poorly. I'm switching to goblet squats. My deadlift form is not pretty, either, so he suggested I do sumo deadlifts instead. I also have a resistance band alternative for when I do them at home. Who knew you could "deadlift" with a stretchy band?! It's going to help my form A TON. I'm not doing the step-ups the way they were in that video. I couldn't handle an 18" step, so I'm starting with a 15" box. No dumbbells until I can stop by body from rocking and swaying this way and that! I need to focus on just an up/down movement. He suggested I hold a weight plate (I used a 5lb) straight out in front of me to help counterbalance, which will help with form. For the dumbbell shoulder press, I'm going to do them one arm at a time for a couple of weeks. I'm ditching the ball altogether and doing a plank instead of prone jackknife (he gave me a progression for the rest of Stage 1), and something with a band instead of crunches.

Some of the key points were: chest OUT, ribs DOWN (this seemed to be tucking your pelvis), knees OUT, butt UP, heels DIG. And, do everything s-l-o-w-l-y to make sure I'm keeping the form. It was such a great appointment!! The fitness center it was in is AMAZING. I wish I could afford to just go there all the time!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thats really great. I have to substitute a couple of movements myself. Form over weight is key. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just finished 2nd week of stage 1. I started squats with the curl bars, first 30 then 40. This week I faced the squat rack and went for the oly bar and did my 2 sets of 12. My problem was setting the rack up for squats. I got the hooks on and the safety bars on but I could not get the Oly bar on the hooks. I was too weak to lift up there and a guy had to help me. I hope that it's already set up for squats next squat day / Monday. Has anyone else had that problem.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Argh! I started today, and discovered my gym apparently *doesn't have a squat rack!* Theres one of those with a rail (thanks, worked great for the push ups) but no actual squat rack. Oh well, I did it with dumbbells, but still. Anyway, it felt great - much harder than on the machines, feels completely different. The jackknife thing with the swiss ball seemed like the silliest, easiest of the exercises, (I'm bendy and I like to monkey about so I figured it was up my alley) but man, was it a *****. I couldn't finish a single set (ended up doing 3 to even things out a bit) We're going to get to know each other very well, you and me, giant bouncy ball.

I'm not sure what to do with the step-up. The gym only has those plasticky aerobic steps that are both really low and frankly look fragile. I ended up doing them off some step on an inexplicable giant machine but had to do them sideways because of how the gym is arranged. Oh well, so it goes.

I also did less cardio - I usually try to get to about 300 calories in a session, this time I only did about five minutes before and after to warm up and then for the sake of a good stretching session. Deep breath. My off days are yoga and swimming, and i'm wondering if I should add a few laps to compensate?
  • Ari112233
    Options
    I use the aerobic bench and 5 risers each side for step ups. It's really sturdy
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I agree...the aerobic bench is great for step ups. I used 6. It's great for being able to get the right height. I have done squat jumps with even more risers...they are really sturdy.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Stage 1 Completed!

I did all the workouts including the AMRAP, two days a week for the first three weeks then three days a week after.

Here are some stats
    Workout A
    Squats 65lbs->>115lbs
    Push-up Knees only->>> 3xToes, then back to knees each set
    Seated row 50lbs->>>90lbs
    Step-up BW->>>2x25lbs
    Prone Jackknife BW->>>BW with decent form

Workout B
    Deadlift 65lbs->>>105lbs (I could lift more but my grip strength kept giving out on me)
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2x15lbs->>>2x25lbs
    WG Lat Pull down 50lbs->>>90lbs
    Lunge BW->>>2x25lbs
    Bosu Ball Crunch BW->>>10lb ball, arms extended

Personal Stats:

Starting Weight - 212lbs ->>205lbs (GW is 165)
    Between my neck, bicep, bust, waist, hips and thighs I lost over 9". It`s my bicep and thighs I`m most proud of right now though, berfore starting this, I`d lost almost 70lbs. My thighs had shrunk less than an inch, and so had my biceps, in the 8 weeks it took me to do stage 1, I lost 1 1/2``off my thighs and 1 1/4`` off my biceps. I start stage two on Tuesday, and I can`t wait!
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Inspiring results. You were pretty strong to start with but great increases (weights) and decreases (body weight!) Good luck with Stage 2.
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Prone jackknifes. Anyone done these with TRX instead of stability ball? Is there a difference?

Also from the posts I've read everyone seems to be starting with about 100lb (for squats, deadlifts etc) - I'm not new to lifting but even 45lbs seems heavy to me....
  • kikicooks
    Options
    Prone jackknifes. Anyone done these with TRX instead of stability ball? Is there a difference?

Also from the posts I've read everyone seems to be starting with about 100lb (for squats, deadlifts etc) - I'm not new to lifting but even 45lbs seems heavy to me....
    Start where you are comfortable, you can always add more. I don't think a lot of people are starting with 100. I'm a little more than half way through stage 1 & at 80-85. I had done some of Chalean Extreme & Insanity before starting this
  • Ari112233
    Options

I started with 30pounds for squats and made ift to 45 on 1a3 so far. For dead lifts I've done 50 60 and 70 so far. The 45 bar IS heavy. Just start where you can.

I am having alot of trouble Oly bar on the squat rack if it's down on the floor from someone's deadlifting
  • PBsMommy
    Options

I agree...the aerobic bench is great for step ups. I used 6. It's great for being able to get the right height. I have done squat jumps with even more risers...they are really sturdy.

Do ya'll have these at home or using the gym's... If you own it, were did you purchase it? I have yet to find one of these! I can find the non adjustable ones without the risers, but can't find the adjustable ones.. I really want one, so I can have a set thing to use for step-ups and not improvise every week.... I may check and see if I can order online somewhere and hopefully shipping won't cost and arm and leg.

Side note - I was so (and still sort of am) completely oblivious to gym terms in the beginning.... I just realized I don't have a "squat rack". My bench just has the pegs where you can turn it around and use it as a placement for the bar and weights to do squats with. It doesn't have the safety catcher mabobs that the squat racks at gyms have... Hopefully this will do for the time being.
  • kikicooks
    Options

Do ya'll have these at home or using the gym's... If you own it, were did you purchase it? I have yet to find one of these! I can find the non adjustable ones without the risers, but can't find the adjustable ones.. I really want one, so I can have a set thing to use for step-ups and not improvise every week.... I may check and see if I can order on online somewhere and hopefully shipping won't cost and arm and leg.

You can get them on Amazon
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am going to start Stage one either today or tomorrow. I am struggling with completely following the program and not letting myself do intense cardio since I really want to lose the 10 lbs I gained the last few months. I am already committing to eating Primal 6 days a week and giving myself 1 meal where I can cheat. I am also going to stay in my calorie target but I am thinking I should maybe update my cals to scooby since I keep hearing it is good. Ugg so confused help!
  • PBsMommy
    Options

Do ya'll have these at home or using the gym's... If you own it, were did you purchase it? I have yet to find one of these! I can find the non adjustable ones without the risers, but can't find the adjustable ones.. I really want one, so I can have a set thing to use for step-ups and not improvise every week.... I may check and see if I can order on online somewhere and hopefully shipping won't cost and arm and leg.

You can get them on Amazon

I just saw your link you posted earlier. Going to check this one out.. I do hate ordering things online and try to avoid it... We live on a street most delivery places (post office and FedEx are the worst with our road. However UPS knows where we are at lol) and companies don't even recognize as a road and always have trouble with things getting here in a decent time, always having to hunt things down... :laugh: Looks like I may just have to suck it up though.. I have looked at the other stages and the step-ups make another appearance later on in stages 2,4 and 7... So it would definitely be a good investment.
  • PBsMommy
    Options
    I am going to start Stage one either today or tomorrow. I am struggling with completely following the program and not letting myself do intense cardio since I really want to lose the 10 lbs I gained the last few months. I am already committing to eating Primal 6 days a week and giving myself 1 meal where I can cheat. I am also going to stay in my calorie target but I am thinking I should maybe update my cals to scooby since I keep hearing it is good. Ugg so confused help!

I don't know about everyone else, but this is what I did. I took the books numbers that I would eat and got a weeks total calories (which for me was 3 workout day calories and 4 non workout day calories) and then divided by seven. This would give me a daily total. Then I subtracted 150 from the daily amount because I still have some fat I would like to lose. But I didn't want to do the full 300 the book stated you could cut, because I do some extra cardio here and there. I did this so I could eat a set amount of cals everyday and still be technically eating by what the book said for the overall week. Then I went to scooby and found out what I would be eating with the TDEE method and they were less than 100cals off. I selected the moderate 3-5 days of workouts option I believe. Then subtracted the same amount of calories as the book method. So for me, the TDEE method and the book lined up pretty well. I ended up using the TDEE method because it was a little bit higher than the book.

I really don't know much about primal... But as far as my macros go. I always use protein as a minimal amount and try to always hit my goal and surpass it and let fat and carbs fall where they will and they usually balance out over the week with carbs being slightly higher than fat. However, I went over on carbs this week, because I kind of went overboard at my daughter's first bday party Saturday...