INSANITY

Options

Replies

• mzootie
    mzootie Posts: 133
    Options
    Using my HRM I seem to be only in the fat burn zone 12-15 min. of an Insanity workout. To burn the most fat and get lean wouldn't you want to be in that optimal zone more or do you think the gross effect of burning fat post exercise outweighs that. I've always thought that that the most fat loss occurs during lower intensity work (HR for me 115) which is opposite of Insanity (avg HR 135). Help anyone???
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Qurriously i don't hear much about this anymore. I used to hear alot that your body can only burn fat (during the workout) if your in the lower intensity zone. something to do with not being able to get oxygen to the cells fast enough. they used to recommend that you exercise at a pace where you can still hold a conversation.

I'm not sure if its still commonly accepted that this is the only state in which fat can be burned durring exercise. Even if it is, the excess calories burned during a higher inensity workout, and the calories used by the metabolism to recover from that workout is going to end up taking more energy from your fat stores at the end of the day.
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You all were not joking about month two being completely killer!!!!! Oh my gosh.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @fitblackchick - You go girl! You take as many breaks as you _need_ to so that you can keep going :)

Thanks Proton! "_
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Options
    Just started on April 1st. It is definitely insane!! I'm not too happy about how many breaks I find myself having to take :/

Don't feel bad, I started on the 1st also and half of the time i'm catching my breath. I just keep telling myself its going to take time.
  • MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Gearing up for week 2 of month 1 today. Wish me luck..this was the week my back went "ummm NO" last time! LOL I have two therapies already scheduled in place this week so hopefully that will keep everything in order :smile:
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Gearing up for week 2 of month 1 today. Wish me luck..this was the week my back went "ummm NO" last time! LOL I have two therapies already scheduled in place this week so hopefully that will keep everything in order :smile:

Good luck!! Just remember to take it at your own pace. Concentrate on your form and don't worry about keeping up with the video. Woorry about getting faster later. Just don't hurt yourself:tongue:
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    @allysonvb - @lyndabyh said it all. You can do it. Don't let it defeat you! A few people that I coached thought about quitting after a few days into month 2. I told them that they would be wasting all the hard work that they've put into the program. Luckily none quit, so far. Keep digging deep. Take breaks if you need to :)

@Power_Man77 - yep, that's the spirit!

@MizVandyk - good luck!
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No way, no quitting. I want that tshirt way tooooo bad!!!
  • proton77
    Options
    Happy Monday TEAM!! Last night I did Max Interval Plyo to conclude my Insanity (p90x hybrid) workout!

I must say that this was one of the best workout that I've ever had because I was pushing pretty hard to getting through the workout knowing that this was the last for this round :)

And yes, I'm starting another round of P90X/Insanity hybrid tonight!! For those of you who just joined my beachbody team, please refer to the "getting started right" guide for information on how to join this challenge group and more importantly the link to the closed challenge group page on Facebook. I don't want to distribute the link here because only those who I coach can join :)

Bring it and deep deep!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Starting the Asylum Vol. 2 next monday. My ankle has been bothering me, hope it clears up by then.

He names all the cast members in the guide and says he hand picked them because they know how to bring it the best. must be quite an honor.

It comes with a tutorial that is like 25 minutes of just learning some of the more complicated ladder drills you will be doing in the program. And i do mean complicated... its like playing a game of 'Simon Says' while sprinting. Thats one of the things i really liked about Asylum vs Insanity, most of the insanity moves are easily performed (at least for a few reps), many of the asylum moves require more athletecism, strength and co-ordination just to perform once with propper form. at least one of the moves i still couldn't do by then end. Its just a different challenge that may or may not build a better body, but defeintly builds a better athelete. You might also think of the moves in insanity as individual exercises, while the moves in asylum are more like drills that incorprate several exercises (some familair from insanity) into one drill

I don't even bother wearing my HRM for Asylum. I mostly just used the HRM to make sure i was in my zone and working hard, there are just a lot of other points of measure in the asylum workout to make sure your working hard, like how far did i jump or how many rounds of a drill did i complete.

So far, it seems more challenging then the first asylum, but i really haven't started yet lol. Not sure how i'm going to keep up after three months of p90x, but i'm going to give it all it got.

Another thing i really liked about the first asylum was that it wasn't based on a 7 day week, it was 5 day training blocks. it was just nice to be a little different, and your rest days were changing all the time, which i kinda liked. vol 2 is back to a 7 day scheduel.

Felt nice to be training with Shawn T again. If anyone felt as though insanity had sort of a 'sports team' or 'practice' feel to it, and you liked that, you really have to try Asylum.

'practice must begin NOW'
  • dwyler21
    dwyler21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday TEAM!! Last night I did Max Interval Plyo to conclude my Insanity (p90x hybrid) workout!

I must say that this was one of the best workout that I've ever had because I was pushing pretty hard to getting through the workout knowing that this was the last for this round :)

And yes, I'm starting another round of P90X/Insanity hybrid tonight!! For those of you who just joined my beachbody team, please refer to the "getting started right" guide for information on how to join this challenge group and more importantly the link to the closed challenge group page on Facebook. I don't want to distribute the link here because only those who I coach can join :)

Bring it and deep deep!

so awesome, great job man. so how do you do a hybrid exactly? im interested in that when i finish insanity in 4 or so weeks
  • dwyler21
    Options
    @No_Finish_Lin that sounds really cool. I want to get into good shape and eventually get back to the athlete i was in high school
    I have been eyeballing asylum and p90x for my next couple workouts.

which would you recommend first? Sounds like you did p90x first?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    well, after you've done insanity you could do anyone you wanted to.

I happend to do insanity then asylum, then p90x and now asylum 2.

the guide in asylum recommends that you do either p90x or insanity prior to attempting asylum so you are good.

I'd recommend asylum just because you have a family. most of Asylum vol. 1 workouts are about 45 min.

p90x is a bigger day to day time commitment then it seems. every workout is 1 hr or more, plus 16 min extra of abs 3 times every week and an optional sunday stretch disc (thats also an hour). If you can swing it tho, i happend to get the best results from p90x, but that was mostly because i was really strict on my diet.
  • dwyler21
    Options
    cool thanks for the advice, i kind of like the idea of asylum anyways, just seems like more fun
  • bear_28
    bear_28 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just finished my 2nd fit test today. Uhm, mine are reaalllyy small changes. I lost .25 inch on my waist, hips and thighs. A quarter of an inch! Uhm, yipee?! LOL Everywhere else is the same. Even the weight is the same. I'm a bit sad about it but I keep telling myself that the results will show at the end of month 2. Right? right? :wink:

My fit test though has improved though. Like an additional 1 or 3. LOL. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about this. Slow and steady wins the race! Dig deeper!
  • proton77
    Options
    Just finished my 2nd fit test today. Uhm, mine are reaalllyy small changes. I lost .25 inch on my waist, hips and thighs. A quarter of an inch! Uhm, yipee?! LOL Everywhere else is the same. Even the weight is the same. I'm a bit sad about it but I keep telling myself that the results will show at the end of month 2. Right? right? :wink:

My fit test though has improved though. Like an additional 1 or 3. LOL. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about this. Slow and steady wins the race! Dig deeper!

Yes, dig deeper! Any progress is good progress. Make sure you dial in on the diet though :)
  • ryans5050
    ryans5050 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So what do you guys recommend if you miss a day? I had a crazy day on Monday, which was Day 7 for me, and between work, family and a few other things that were blowing up, I just couldn't get the workout in. I felt really bad and guilty for skipping, but yesterday (Tuesday) I did Day 8 (Pure Cardio) instead of the Day 7. Ugh, having two days off in a row (Sunday and Monday) it was really, really hard to get moving on Pure Cardio. My legs felt like they weighed 400 lbs!

But I'm curious. Is it recommended to "skip" a day like that, or should I have done Day 7 yesterday (on Tuesday)? My concern was then my days are thrown off and Sunday wouldn't be a rest day for me anymore, etc.. So that's why I skipped the Day 7 completely..
  • proton77
    Options
    I would have done day 7 yesterday. I know for some people it's important to have the rest day on a certain day but unexpected schedule conflict happens. We need to try our best to stick to the schedule and not skipping. If you missed a workout during the week (before your scheduled rest day), it's best not to take a day off on your schedule rest day and keep moving. At least that's what I've been doing.

Another option is you could do the workouts that you've skipped at the end of month 1 or at the very end of the program but that will extend the program beyond the 60 somewhat days. If you're eager to see what this program can do for your body in 60 days, you would want to make sure that you don't skip :)
  • dwyler21
    Options
    recovery week.
    I'm burning almost the same amount of calories on Core Cardio and Balance as Pylometric Cardio. so that's cool haha