Tips & Tricks

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried compression stockings? If i can find them to fit, I am thinking about trying them. I have really seriously bad varicose veins in my left leg especially. They throb and ache. I'm not talking about spider veins, these are seriously bulging veins. Gross I know, but it makes me worry that i'm making them worse running. I usually need to elevate my left leg for bit after running. Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do? I want to have them ablated but I want to make my 5K goal before i do.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    SHOES: Have at least TWO pair of running shoes. Yes, two, dos, deux... Alternate between them and try not to wear them as everyday shoes. Shoes, just like us, need time to recover from workouts. Wearing the same pair of shoes every time you run will cause breakdown a lot faster. And make sure these shoes fit your needs, such as having the correct arch height, a wide heel if you are prone to ankle rolling, trail running shoes if you tend to/plan on running on uneven ground, etc. Get properly fitted if at all possible at a running store. You'd be surprised at how a pair of shoes that properly fit and meet your needs change your running.

WEEK 4 SUCKS*: I've read a good handful of posts and here and noticed that there seems to be a consensus that Week 4 sucks. Pace yourself on this week, go slower than you normally would. I honestly believe the creators of this program have made Week 4 like this to get their users/followers/runners to slow down. Focus on your endurance first, the speed will come later.

REST: Do the rest days! Do NOT run everyday, you will regret it! I learned this the hard way. I ran three days in a row and got shin splints. They really hurt, you don't want to experience them if you haven't already. Keep in mind, these rest days don't mean that you can't still workout. Cross training is so beneficial, so go ahead and hop on the elliptical or arc trainer, lift some weights, go swimming. But PLEASE don't run everyday.

*I'm still on Week 4, repeating it for a second time. It was definitely difficult transitioning from Week 3 to Week 4. The first time doing Week 4, I couldn't even finish Day 1. I can do it now, but it's still not totally easy. I realized I needed to slow down (5.7mph to 5.0mph.) Slow and steady wins this race.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Found this on Woman's Running Magazine's website....

Coach Jenny weighs in on a reader question with advice to avoid running missteps. . .

Question: I recently started running, and I have been getting a lot of different advice from friends. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed, and I’m not sure if I’m doing anything wrong. What are some mistakes you see in new runners? How can I avoid these? —Ellen

Answer: Welcome to running, Ellen! The key to running healthy for life is to become a “runner” one step at a time. You’re bound to make a few mistakes along the way—but running doesn’t have to be a completely trial and error adventure. Check out the top 10 mistakes I see in newbie runners, so you can learn from their errors and stay healthy and happy as you run toward your dreams.

1. Too much too soon
    The excitement that stems from a new goal often causes runners to ramp up weekly mileage before their bodies are ready. Running is a high-impact activity, and diving into training headfirst can lead to injury. If you are just starting out, a good rule of thumb is to begin with a 20-minute run/walk program a few times per week and build slowly from there. I recommend increasing your running time or distance by no more than 10 percent every two weeks.

2. Hitting the gas too fast
    Speed workouts are a great tool for intermediate runners, but newbies don’t need to schedule hard, fast runs right off the bat. Allow your body to adapt to a running routine for six to eight months before incorporating speedwork. You’ll recover better, improve faster and have a heck of a lot more fun!

3. Playing copycat
    What works for one runner doesn’t necessarily work for another. When you train like your husband or friend, you’re not tuning in to what is going on in your body. Follow your personal game plan and stick to your own speed.

4. Buying cute shoes
    It is tempting to buy those adorable running shoes that match your outfit, but they may not be the right pair for you. Shoes are the most important running investment you can make, and it’s critical that they t your feet. Head to a running specialty store to nd your perfect model with the help of a footwear expert.

5. Monotonous training
    All run and no play can make you a very dull girl—especially when you’re first getting started. Remember, variety is the spice of life. Mixing up your training will keep your program fresh and help ward off injury. Alternate running workouts with cross-training activities (e.g., cycling, Zumba, swimming, inline skating, etc.) every other day. You’ll go into your next run excited and motivated to hit the road.

6. Making pace paramount
    One of the biggest mistakes beginning runners make is paying too much attention to their watches, GPS devices and treadmill numbers. Sticking to a specific pace regardless of how you feel will hamper both recovery and improvement. Every day is different for a runner. Some days we feel like Wonder Woman, and others we feel lucky even to finish our workout. Instead of minding numbers, let your body be the guide. When your training plan reads “easy,” run at whatever pace feels easy that particular day. It’s as simple as that.

7. Skipping strength and flexibility training
    When you’re just starting out, running regularly can feel like a big time commitment. Adding weight training and stretching on top of this may seem impossible, but keep in mind that muscular tightness and weakness can lead to aches and pains down the road. Investing in regular flexibility and strength work will help you run farther and stronger. Bonus: Building muscle makes it easier to lose weight.

8. Ignoring your inner tweets
    Our bodies are excellent communicators, so when you start to feel a niggling pain, listen. In most cases, it means you’ve pushed too hard, haven’t recovered enough or transitioned to something new too quickly (new terrain, hills, shoes). Let the discomfort subside by resting or cross training for a few days. Taking short breaks early on will prevent you from needing long breaks if you ignore the symptoms.

9. Setting time goals
    Runners have a tendency to focus on specific race-time goals. We dream of finishing a 30-minute 5k or breaking two hours in our next half marathon. Specific times make for nice round numbers, but what do they really mean? Let go of racing by time and pace and open yourself up to running your best race. First-time racers should have a goal of finishing upright with a smile. Seasoned runners should race by feel and effort. This will allow you to run faster than you’ve ever imagined.

10. Impatience
    Rome wasn’t built in a day. Becoming a new (or improved) runner takes time, and you can’t rush the process by cramming in workouts. All runners should focus on incorporating ebb and flow into their training. For new runners, this means switching between running days and cross-training days. Seasoned runners can rotate hard workouts with easy runs. If you have patience, you will get to where you want to be—promise!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

Wow! Great article. Thanks for sharing this!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Another tip for all the new runners....

Carbs are your friend! If you are going to be a runner then you will need to eat some carbs. They can be healthy carbs, but having an extremely low carb diet when doing C25K will drain you. Especially when you start to get to the later weeks of the program.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

This is perfect! Thanks!
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options

This is perfect! Thanks!

Thank you for that, I will keep that in mind.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Is there something that you wish you had known when you started the program? Share your tips and tricks with the rest of us!

Becoming a runner is a process, not an achievement. Be good to yourself. If you get out there three days a week, you're doing fabulous. Far and fast will come with time, and don't really matter all that much anyway.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    [I'm soooo going to get me a jar after W4D1 tonight!!! (I'm on here b/c I WAS scared)]
    I'm on week 4.

Additional tips that I haven't spotted on here already would be:

1. Get the app instead of the podcast if you can. It costs more, but being able to pick your own tunes is a Godsend. I have a whole playlist of music that makes me feels like my run is short because it plays out like a montage. lol

2. Rewards for milestones. I'm almost where I want to be weight wise, so to reward myself for running in the chilly gross weather, I splurged on a good running jacket. I was so excited the day I bought it, I went right home for a run so I could use it.

Also, I tracks my runs in km (because it makes me feel like I've run farther. lol) and reward myself with the dollar value of my runs. If I do 4.37 km, I put $4.37 in my saving jar. Don't know what I'm going to use it for (maybe a HRM or something), but it's really fun to do and also helps me know how long my shoes have lived (so than I know when to get a new pair).
    [/quote]
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to not look ahead-I just listen to my podcast, and pretend like it's my old principal, Sister John Agnes. When it says 'run' I run. No questions... I don't want the "board' of education.
  • Kmacc79
    Kmacc79 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started running, so I didn't have any real running shoes or clothes. I'd been working out with cotton socks, old shoes, and regular yoga pants/shirts. I realized, after buying some new shoes, socks, and workout clothes that it's a night and day difference! I wasn't overheated today running, I could run for the full amount of time without feeling like I was hyperventilating! It doesn't have to be expensive, just the appropriate material, etc!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Get out in the elements. Believe it or not, breaking free from your comfort zone in more than just one way does amazing things to the mind!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Take time to stretch AFTER every run. If you can stretch for 30 seconds for each stretch, even better!

The stretching will keep you limber and help you to not get injured.
  • AdviDaddy
    AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hello All.. I have just started my C25K program. How do you guys do strength training?

Suppose you run on MWF, do you lift weights/cross train on Tuesdays and Thursdays? Pls share your ideas.

Thanks in advance!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    68ef85474cfdbf4587fb144486a22e24.jpg
  • tjbama09
    tjbama09 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, W1D1 was yesterday. We shall see how this goes.
  • martose
    martose Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi, this post is fab, tonight plan wk 3 Day 2, I have booked myself to do a 5k race for life on 23rd June 2013, hopefully i'll be well into the programme at this point.

I'm going to create a playlist to listen to whilst doing the workout with loads of motivating upbeat music.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Hello all,

Found this on my running club's website and wanted to share it.

THE PHYSIOLOGY OF TRAINING

Pacing can be confusing. Sometimes it's difficult to determine if you are going too fast or too slow. Be sure to wear a Garmin if you have one. Look at the pacing times for your group and practice – go out and see what kind of walk/run combination it might take to stay at that pace.

Our coaching goals are to help our women develop or improve an exercise program of walking, walk/running or running, to be safe, have fun, have less injury, and to finish the “Graduation” 5K stronger and healthier than when they started. Injury can prevent this. It’s important to for our participants to take it easy and give their bodies time to adapt.

BASE

It is important to slowly build a consistent base of weekly mileage at a slower pace. The BASE increases VO2Max, increases endurance, and improves recovery. Weekly mileage should not increase more than 10% over the previous week’s mileage. Every third week do not increase mileage. Endurance is built on this base; speed work and hill work is done much later to sharpen your skills. It is as important to have a consistent number of days running as it is the mileage. For instance, if you run 2-3-2-3-6 (total mileage 16 miles) do not try to substitute two 8 mile days one week.

~ The first improvement in fitness is Aerobic – lung capacity and blood volume

It is important to maintain hydration during this period as the blood volume increases. It is possible to experience short term ‘runner’s anemia’ as the plasma increases faster than red blood cells.

~ The second improvement in fitness is the Muscular System

The muscles build ATP glycogen & fat (the fueling system) and increasing amounts of muscle mass and Mitochondria at the cellular level (this development is most efficient when muscles are worked at an aerobic – slow – pace). Aerobic, slow easy paces allow this to happen.

~ The last to adapt are Tendons, Bones & Ligaments. It can take as much as 2-6 months for these to strengthen and adapt. This is what will break down and where the injuries will be.

Thus the beginning runner starts to feel good – Aerobic capacity has increased, muscles are stronger so they push the mileage and/or speed, if they feel some little twitches and twinges they ignore them and BOOM – injury.

What does this mean in regard to training WRWM participants?

* You need to be trained where you are now. Not what you did in high school, or five years ago, or pre-pregnancy, and not what you wish you could do without any concrete reasons to believe it’s possible.

HEAT ADAPTATION

It takes a minimum of TEN runs in heat to acclimate. The circulatory system adapts in several ways, doubling the number of sweat glands, sweating will start at a lower temperature, and reducing the number of electrolytes lost in sweat.

What does this mean in regard to training WRWM participants?

* If you have not been out in the heat, walking, jogging, etc., you will need at least TEN workouts during this training time to adapt to the heat. For intermediate and advanced runners this will probably not be an issue. For beginning runners, try to get outdoors even just for a slow walk around the block.

DE-TRAINING

After three days you begin to de-train. Do something that third day, even if you just run one mile, in order to keep the body used to the activity.

Be consistent in your training even if we have to cancel due to heat: do your run early in the morning or later in the evening, or inside if you have access to treadmill or a fitness facility
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Keeping my pace slow and consistant and keeping my breath under control