Anyone starting on the 25th March?

Options

Replies

• mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I finished the first month, but this week I am repeating another week of #3&4. Every single exercise is super challenging for me, although I am building strength and can see progress. I can do the first set of plank ups on my feet instead of knees, and am not struggling so badly with the rear lunges. But my core is still too weak to do a real pushup.

Rest days: I still walk in the a.m., but like to try a bit of a different video that has cardio or toning.
  • Thereupon
    Thereupon Posts: 52
    Options
    Returned to workout 3 today and didn't seem to struggle as much with the downward dogs and plank-ups. (They were still pretty difficult - it might just be my imagination.) I'm still considering repeating 3 and 4 for another week, but I keep hearing Jillian scream "if you want the comfort zone you bought the wrong program!" haha. So I think I might move on... I guess I'll see how I feel about the workouts at the end of the week.
  • Thereupon
    Options
    Sorry for the double post! Just did workout 4 and I think I'm definitely going to move on to phase 2 next week as scheduled. I actually think I'll need to up my weights for 3 and 4 on Thurs/Fri! I'm not sure if I was just having a rough week last week, or if I'm actually getting stronger... I don't THINK I've compromised my form in any way to make it feel 'easier'. The exercises are still tough, but I'm not absolutely shattered and dripping with sweat like I was after completing them at the beginning of last week.

(That said, I'm still awfully inflexible in some areas. I wish she'd offer some modifications of the floor stretches. I can't reach beyond my knees with my legs spread sitting down - and even managing that is a workout in itself! Keeping my torso upright in that position AT ALL is a challenge, especially after the core work.)

How is everyone else's week 4 going?
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm still plugging along with the workouts from weeks 1 and 2 for the rest of the month so I can stretch this out to six months. I'm doing almost all of the harder modifications with weights now, and I've upped my weights, so it's still kicking my butt. Hopefully that will make weeks 3 and 4 not such a bad transition. I dread the downward dogs though as I still have trouble with the plank. I'm feeling good about how much better my clothes are fitting, though.
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    the last couple of days it has finally begun to feel like spring here so I went out riding my bike today instead of doing Cardio 1, it was such a nice change! I think I'll do that more often from now on, replace her cardio with my own if the weather permits it and depending on how I feel!
  • amd429
    amd429 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you guys....

Are you strictly following the body revolution workouts or doing any extra? I want to continue to walk when I start this work out and don't know if it will hurt my results, meaning I want to walk in addition to my Body Revolution workout for the day. I plan on making my walking my cardio for the cardio days anyways unless the weather is crappy then I will do her video. I just have a problem with doing a video for my cardio, ya know?
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Are you strictly following the body revolution workouts or doing any extra? I want to continue to walk when I start this work out and don't know if it will hurt my results, meaning I want to walk in addition to my Body Revolution workout for the day. I plan on making my walking my cardio for the cardio days anyways unless the weather is crappy then I will do her video. I just have a problem with doing a video for my cardio, ya know?

Personally, I think walking and doing BR in the same day will help you. :)

However, the cardio is a lot harder than walking on flat ground so I would suggest doing a different type of cardio on cardio days like swim, ride a bike, ect and make sure there are high intensity intervals involved (like incorporating hills, speed walking, ect).

I hear cardio gets insane in phase 2 and phase 3-so walking may not be the best alternative to those high intensity intervals. But I don't know. When it stops being so cold here, I will start my longer walks with my dog at night as well as BR, too.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I agree with Marieann. Walking would work very well in tandem with the DVDs, but I wouldn't use it to replace the cardio, However, you could do a walk on the off-day. I usually just do cardio on that day. I was actually planning to do some walking on the days I do the regular workouts, but my schedule hasn't allowed it.
  • Thereupon
    Options

Hey! I've personally been using the BR program as the baseline/minimum for my exercise. Some days I feel like I still have more to give, so I might repeat the same exercise later on, or add some extra cardio (sometimes the cardio DVD, sometimes jogging, etc). I've also added earlier workouts that work the same muscles as the workout that day. I.e. Workouts 1 and 3 work the "front of body" muscles so I might go back to #1 on a day after I've done #3 if I have more to give. On YouTube Jillian warned not to work muscles that were used on different days (i.e. don't do workout 1 AND 2 on the same day) because they need time to rest. She also said it's okay to add extra cardio on any day though, so going for an additional walk *definitely* shouldn't hurt your results, unless you trip over and sprain an ankle! (This has happened to me before while walking; I recommend avoiding it at all costs. :P )

I hope that made sense. Obviously, some days I'm just exhausted or don't have time and will just do the one workout, so I really see the official plan as the minimum for me. I'd say throw in whatever extra cardio you want, as long as you're not burning yourself out, and you're giving each muscle group sufficient time off to rest as recommended. I agree with Marieann though, walking isn't really equivalent to the BR cardio which has a lot of high intensity intervals.
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to finish Phase 1 (getting tired of Cardio 1 lol) and start Phase 2. Thus far I'm loving the results! I started the program @ 177lbs and as of Monday I'm 171.6 lbs!!!! Also noticed two NSV, first, I use a Polar 7 HRM with the chest strap, last night I had to adjust it by making it smaller :D. This morning I tried on a jean that two weeks ago couldn't wear b/c I literally looked like an over-sized muffin!! but this morning all I have is a little gut!! Whoop Whoop lol
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    Can't wait to finish Phase 1 (getting tired of Cardio 1 lol) and start Phase 2. Thus far I'm loving the results! I started the program @ 177lbs and as of Monday I'm 171.6 lbs!!!! Also noticed two NSV, first, I use a Polar 7 HRM with the chest strap, last night I had to adjust it by making it smaller :D. This morning I tried on a jean that two weeks ago couldn't wear b/c I literally looked like an over-sized muffin!! but this morning all I have is a little gut!! Whoop Whoop lol

wow, congrats on your results!! did you follow her meal plan and/or eat just 1200 kcal a day? I did that the first two weeks and lost quite a bit, but now I started eating (most of) my exercise calories back and the scale doesn't move anymore :( but I don't want to starve myself and not eating enough in the past has led to just giving up and even binge eating episodes so I don't really want to eat too little and try to be a bit more patient...

I watched the vids for next week and I'm actually excited for them :) today was workout 3 for the last time, but one thing I just don't seem to get better at are plank ups and down, they're so hard!!

regarding amd429's question: In one of her podcasts Jillian mentioned that it's fine to add more cardio to Body Revolution, but she doesn't want more strength training! to me it sounded like it's important to her to not mix up her plan which plans certain days for certain muscle groups so I think Thereupon's plan to do more of the same muscle groups on certain days is ok! you sound like a fit guy, I couldn't do that haha! but I did add some 30 min bike cardio to my workout today :)
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm not following her meal plan. I use both MFP and the Lose it App for my calorie count. In MFP I should net 1390 and in Loose it I should net 1436 so I usually eat btw them including my exercise cals. I usually average under 200 cal/day. Both apps have me with a goal weight lose of 1.5lbs/week. Trying upping you cal b/c it might be that your body is in starvation mode this is why lack of progress and stress to binge. Remember that the way MFP is set up is for you to eat back your cals.

wow, congrats on your results!! did you follow her meal plan and/or eat just 1200 kcal a day? I did that the first two weeks and lost quite a bit, but now I started eating (most of) my exercise calories back and the scale doesn't move anymore :( but I don't want to starve myself and not eating enough in the past has led to just giving up and even binge eating episodes so I don't really want to eat too little and try to be a bit more patient...

I watched the vids for next week and I'm actually excited for them :) today was workout 3 for the last time, but one thing I just don't seem to get better at are plank ups and down, they're so hard!!

regarding amd429's question: In one of her podcasts Jillian mentioned that it's fine to add more cardio to Body Revolution, but she doesn't want more strength training! to me it sounded like it's important to her to not mix up her plan which plans certain days for certain muscle groups so I think Thereupon's plan to do more of the same muscle groups on certain days is ok! you sound like a fit guy, I couldn't do that haha! but I did add some 30 min bike cardio to my workout today :)
  • lulubell35
    Options
    Good for you, great job!!!:smile:
  • amd429
    amd429 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Hey! I've personally been using the BR program as the baseline/minimum for my exercise. Some days I feel like I still have more to give, so I might repeat the same exercise later on, or add some extra cardio (sometimes the cardio DVD, sometimes jogging, etc). I've also added earlier workouts that work the same muscles as the workout that day. I.e. Workouts 1 and 3 work the "front of body" muscles so I might go back to #1 on a day after I've done #3 if I have more to give. On YouTube Jillian warned not to work muscles that were used on different days (i.e. don't do workout 1 AND 2 on the same day) because they need time to rest. She also said it's okay to add extra cardio on any day though, so going for an additional walk *definitely* shouldn't hurt your results, unless you trip over and sprain an ankle! (This has happened to me before while walking; I recommend avoiding it at all costs. :P )

I hope that made sense. Obviously, some days I'm just exhausted or don't have time and will just do the one workout, so I really see the official plan as the minimum for me. I'd say throw in whatever extra cardio you want, as long as you're not burning yourself out, and you're giving each muscle group sufficient time off to rest as recommended. I agree with Marieann though, walking isn't really equivalent to the BR cardio which has a lot of high intensity intervals.

Thank you!
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    thanks for the advice! I'm eating more than 1200 kcal now as MFP wants me to net at 1200 but on days I workout I'm struggling to meet that number :/ i'm gonna eat more nuts as snacks!
    I'm not following her meal plan. I use both MFP and the Lose it App for my calorie count. In MFP I should net 1390 and in Loose it I should net 1436 so I usually eat btw them including my exercise cals. I usually average under 200 cal/day. Both apps have me with a goal weight lose of 1.5lbs/week. Trying upping you cal b/c it might be that your body is in starvation mode this is why lack of progress and stress to binge. Remember that the way MFP is set up is for you to eat back your cals.

wow, today for the first time since starting BR I was really really unmotivated to work out! I kept telling myself "come on, it's workout 4 for the last time, next week there'll be new variety" and "it's your last strength training for the week" but I felt sooo sluggish... fortunately, after the first circuit I was in my workout mojo (endorphins kicking in?) and actually ended up having a really good workout :)
  • kriswyman
    kriswyman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on week 5 of BR and am liking the results. Today was tough though. Didn't sleep well last night. I logged my food yesterday and it said I didn't get enough calories. I'm not sure what to do. I have lost about 7 pound in 5 weeks so that seems good. I was sure glad that Cardio 2 had 30 second sets. I was really afraid of it!
  • marieann82
    Options
    Phase 1 is history! Yay!

NSV yesterday, my co-leader at Girl Scouts said that I was looking skinny-what was I doing? :) I told her I haven't loss much weight but am totally toning up doing JMBR. I love that when I say that 90% of people say there is no way they can commit to working out at home. I think it's funny. Mostly because it takes so much time/energy to pack a gym bag and drive to the gym. IMHO it is so much quicker and I am more consistent at home. (although after JMBR I want to start the new weight lifting program for woman and I will need to go to gym for that)

Anyways, I measured myself last week and I have lost 7 inches overall! The weight-I cannot really comment about because I am down 3 pounds, then up 6 even though my eating is very consistent. So, trying not to focus on what it says. Taking my after phase 1 photos today, not posting until the end (unless there is an insane difference).

I had a rough week this week but just kept pressing play. Even with a rough week I was able to do military push ups and the plank ups through the entire circuit-which was impossible at the beginning. Hallow man is getting better, but I do put my feet down for a second. Ugh, those are killers.

Keep it up everyone! So proud of all of you!
  • Thereupon
    Options
    Well done Marieann! Your results sound great so far! I've just finished my final Cardio 1 too. I totally agree about the naysayers who feel that they "can't" work out at home. I find it so much easier, less time consuming and less intimidating than visiting a gym, and most importantly - it's working!

I honestly can't believe I've gotten through a month of this without skipping a day. I'm not one for taking measurements (can't trust myself to measure properly, always convinced I'm just holding the measuring tape tighter than I was the previous week, or in a slightly different place, etc) but the visible toning in certain places is proof enough that it's working. I've also lost a few kilos, but I don't expect that to last very long if I start building more muscle.

Well done everyone. I hope the past month has served you all well too. Bring on the next two!
  • Thereupon
    Options
    Goodness me... Just had a peak at workout 5 to prepare for Phase 2 tomorrow. Man! It'll be a workout just REMEMBERING how to do that first move! I'm incredibly nervous. I don't know if I even want to watch the rest of the video now!
  • marieann82
    Options
    Done with #5! I've done all these moves with Jillian in other dvds before, but the way they are combined is challenging to say the least! Those side triceps pushups things are evil. I have a feeling this month will be a challenge with great results (just need to get back on eating right-been off a couple days lately!)

Kick *kitten* this week, friends!