Anyone starting on the 25th March?

Options

Replies

• kriswyman
    kriswyman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh No! I think I pulled a glute muscle doing the one leg squats.
  • Thereupon
    Thereupon Posts: 52
    Options
    Anyone else find it harder to break a sweat in Workout 6 than Workout 4? Not that it's "too easy" - rather that I spend so much time trying to balance and learn proper form on the moves that I only get in about half the actual moves I'm supposed to! It takes the cardio intervals to get my heart rate up and of course the abs superset is a killer, but before that I feel as if I'm not working as hard as I should be.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I break a sweat still, nothing like work out 5 though that's for sure... I've found in both 5 and 6 I have modify the cardio quite a bit... i greatly fear any type of side to side jumping move with my knee that's been through multiple surgeries and an ACL replacement so I've been trying to switch out things that might be comparable or are from past work outs - it's the one thing i won't push myself to try and overcome because i can't risk blowing the knee again...
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Anyone else find it harder to break a sweat in Workout 6 than Workout 4? Not that it's "too easy" - rather that I spend so much time trying to balance and learn proper form on the moves that I only get in about half the actual moves I'm supposed to! It takes the cardio intervals to get my heart rate up and of course the abs superset is a killer, but before that I feel as if I'm not working as hard as I should be.

Is it terrible that I already cannot remember workout 4? Workout 6 feels easier than 5 for sure, but I welcome the break-that way I can push hard through 5 knowing I'm not going to be tortured again the next day.
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    I break a sweat still, nothing like work out 5 though that's for sure... I've found in both 5 and 6 I have modify the cardio quite a bit... i greatly fear any type of side to side jumping move with my knee that's been through multiple surgeries and an ACL replacement so I've been trying to switch out things that might be comparable or are from past work outs - it's the one thing i won't push myself to try and overcome because i can't risk blowing the knee again...

I'm in the same boat! had a knee injury and avoid any cardio that involves too much plyo. I do skaters and jump rope, but replace jumping jacks, butt kicks, knee highs and some others with lower impact moves or I go on my stationary bike. As long as my heart rate is still up I don't care about not being able to do the more badass moves :wink: so not worth ruining my knee again...
    I just did cardio 2 and replaced quite a few moves but my heartrate was up all the time! I love the new structure: more moves, shorter intervals, keeps it interesting :bigsmile: and I'm more inclined to push hard knowing that the interval is over soon!

I think workout 4 and 6 feel similar to me. when I struggle with the balance moves I do tap my foot inbetween though!
  • mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can keep up with workout 6, but not workout 5. I am behind on the reps on it, and the balancing is hard. I trip over myself doing the swinging weigh to a squat. I also have a hard time with the pushup going into one handed raise. On workout 6 I am holding onto a chair to do the Statue of Liberty so I can still stand on one foot but go down a little farther. I finally got some strength bands and my biceps are hurting from the flies and upper cuts. I cannot do the one legged squat at all on WO 5. I just modify to both legs in almost a sumo squat. I suppose the best thing is being exposed to new exercises. Oh and for superman with the weights, I lift only one arm at a time, and lift both legs. I don't know when I will ever be able to jump up from plank in salutation of the sun warm ups. I think I a too bottom heavy to do that for a long while.
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    Oh No! I think I pulled a glute muscle doing the one leg squats.

oh no, are you ok? I once thought I pulled a muscle but it turned out that it was just really really sore and took a couple of days longer than usual.
  • kriswyman
    Options
    The glute feels better. I'm starting week 7 today. Glad to be at the half-way mark.
  • yaybazinga
    Options
    did workout 6 today and definitely feel comfortable to move on to workout 8 next week. workout 5? not so much! it was a bit easier yesterday than last week, but some moves still kill me, especially the crab dips!
  • kriswyman
    Options
    What does everyone think about fruit? I have been staying away because of the sugar and calories and carbs. I have been sticking with mostly protein and vegies. I've lost about 8 pounds in 6 weeks and am not sure if I should add some fruit or not.
  • Thereupon
    Options
    What does everyone think about fruit? I have been staying away because of the sugar and calories and carbs. I have been sticking with mostly protein and vegies. I've lost about 8 pounds in 6 weeks and am not sure if I should add some fruit or not.
    I can say without hesitation that there is no way I would've been able to get into my healthier eating routine without fruit! I've also lost about 8 pounds (a few kilos) since starting JMBR, which was essentially my "last" 8 pounds and it doesn't seem to have affected that progress negatively for me. I think it's the calories in/out that does it. I also think MFP's preset sugar goal is too low for me, as I have ONE piece of fruit with breakfast in the morning and I'm already halfway to what it recommends. I've also found that I feel more sluggish when I eat that little sugar overall.

If you're concerned, try googling which fruits are lower in GI. The sugars in these fruits digest slower due to their higher fibre content so won't make your blood sugar spike and crash in the same way as sugars in candy.

Edit: If you're satisfied with what you're currently doing though, and getting all your nutrients, stay with it! But I definitely don't think there's harm in adding some fruit as long as it fits within your calorie goals and your macros. :)
  • Thereupon
    Options
    How's everyone going? Cue Jillian: "YOU'RE OVER HALFWAY!" :P

I'm going to straight out admit that this has NOT been my best week, physically or mentally. I was feeling a little fluish (is that a word?) at the beginning of the week and that may have affected my motivation. I ended up skipping Wednesday (cardio), resumed on Thursday with WO5 and some cardio on the exercise bike, struggled to meet a uni deadline on Friday so missed WO6, which I ended up doing YESTERDAY, and I intend to do cardio 2 tonight after work. Two late night binges also occurred. Yep. (Although nowhere near as bad as in the past!)

Trying to get my head back in the game now. I'm at that time of semester where I have assessments flying out my ears, so I'm going to tone it down, i.e. I'll stick to JMBR as it was designed without anything extra like cardio on top of the workouts. I'd prefer to go easier than to overwork myself and completely give up. I'd prefer my rough week to be a speed bump, not the end of the road, so it's probably best to slow down a little. :)

I hope you're all well! How are you feeling about starting workouts 7 and 8? Or for those who have modified the programme, how are you finding it?
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've actually ended up doing a hybrid program because I started up C25K. I'm doing a month of each set of strength training DVDs and working in cardio on days when I need to burn extra calories. I switched to cardio 2 more more of a challenge and really enjoy it...well, as much as you can "enjoy" Jillian, LOL.
  • yaybazinga
    yaybazinga Posts: 54
    Options
    oh boy, workout 7 might be my least favourite one so far! :( I still can't make it through 30 seconds of push-ups and have to drop down to my knees for the last few repetitions, let alone crow push-ups!! I feel like there are too many arms and shoulders moves and not enough legs/lower body moves in workout 7, my arms feel like jelly right now lol
  • marieann82
    Options
    oh boy, workout 7 might be my least favourite one so far! :( I still can't make it through 30 seconds of push-ups and have to drop down to my knees for the last few repetitions, let alone crow push-ups!! I feel like there are too many arms and shoulders moves and not enough legs/lower body moves in workout 7, my arms feel like jelly right now lol

Holy planks and advanced push-up modifications! My arms are killing me, too! I was trying to do as many advanced moves, then had to do the modified version, then I ended up on my knees. It will be fun to see how much we progress through these next two weeks.

I need a heavier weight for the lower body moves because I don't feel those at all. What weight are you guys using on those camel-like moves?
  • Thereupon
    Options
    Just got home from work. Going to try workout 7 for the first time shortly. I haven't peeked ahead so don't know what to expect, but it sounds tough! I really need to give it my all as I've gone a little over on calories. I'll edit with my thoughts when I'm done!
  • Thereupon
    Options
    Whoops, won't let me edit. My post-work break was a little longer than expected. :P But whoa! I rather enjoyed Workout 7. Is that crazy? I felt like it was a perfect amount of intensity to get me working; not too easy, but not so difficult that I was burnt out after the first circuit. Also not so many balance moves which you all know I'm not a fan of. :P I kinda wish I'd just skipped workout 5 now and moved straight on to this. I wasted so much time just trying to learn the crazy moves (reminded me of being forced to do dance in year 8 PE class!) and not fall over in those. I still didn't have the co-ordination down at the end of last week and my motivation was the lowest it had been so far.
    I need a heavier weight for the lower body moves because I don't feel those at all. What weight are you guys using on those camel-like moves?

You mean the kneeling one with the weights held above your head? I'm using 7.5kg. Not sure how many pounds that is. (Edit: Google tells me it's about 16.5lbs.) But my back/core muscles still seem to need a LOT of work. While my quads (which Jillian says the move is meant for) and shoulders/arms are fine, I'm having trouble keeping my core straight, and my knees crack every time I lower my butt, so I might take the weight down for those and swap in the heavier ones for the floor moves in that circuit.
  • marieann82
    Options
    Bought some 10#'ers today. Will start using them for when Jillian says to use the heaviest weights. I only had a pair of 5's starting out, and I know I should of bought the 10's about two weeks ago. Glad I have them now.

Thanks for your input on what you are using. How much are you using the majority of the time?
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Workout 7!!!! lol Workouts 1-6 seem so easy now. I only burned 286 calories because I spent most of the time looking at her like she's CRAZY!!! lol Workout 8 today lets see how that will go lol.
  • Zeppyb
    Zeppyb Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bought some 10#'ers today. Will start using them for when Jillian says to use the heaviest weights. I only had a pair of 5's starting out, and I know I should of bought the 10's about two weeks ago. Glad I have them now.

Thanks for your input on what you are using. How much are you using the majority of the time?

Marieann- I was using only 5's for the entire 1st and 2nd phase and bought 10's for the third. Now I try to use the 10's for everything, even when she says to use a light weight. I can definitely tell a difference in my arms already. My husband says I have guns :) 4 more days and I'm done with JMBR!!! If I do another round, I may do the whole program with 10's.