Stage 1

Options

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    @rsharper -- I started with 2 15lbs. But my gym dumbbells go up by 5lbs not 2.5 so i was kind of forced to bump it to 20 after a few workouts. I REALLY REALLY struggle with that. (Ideally, I think I can do 3x10 with 17.5, because by the end of my sets My form starts to go downhill. I'm really weak in the arms/shoulders as well.) I'm also a little peeved, because the cable row and lat pull down machines go up by 15lbs and there aren't any little plates or adjustments to change it. So I had to jump from 55 to 70. but maybe today, 70 will be perfect!
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the 70lbs lat pull down. I am not completely happy with my form, so I think when I do it again on Friday I will keep the same weight and work on my form. The barbells at my gym also jump by 5 lbs so I will be in the same boat as you.
  • rsharper97
    Options
    Ooops, forgot it was 75lbs. The 5 lb extra weight would not lock so that is where that came from.
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 workouts in. I am still trying to figure out what weights will work best. Some will be increased next workout and others may reain the same to work on form. I wanted to share my stats:

Workout A1

Squats : 24 lbs (2x15)
    Push Up: BW (2x15)
    Seated Row: 40 lb (1x15) 55 lb (1x15)
    Step Up: 30 lbs (2x15) *15 lb in each hand*
    Prone Jackknife: BW (1x8) BW (1x10)

Workout B1

Deadlift: 30 lbs (1x15) 50 lbs (1x15)
    Dumbell Shoulder Press: 24 lbs (2x15) *12 lbs in each hand*
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns: 70 lbs (2x15)
    Lunge: 30 lbs (2x15) *15 lbs in each hand*
    Swiss Ball Crunch: 10 lbs (2x20)

I feel fantastic!!!!
  • rsharper97
    Options
    @wbfd-those are some good starting stats. I also struggled with what weight I should be starting with. Tonight is my second time doing A so I know some of my stats will increase whereas some will stay the same.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed with myself and I don't know what to do next. I just realized that I did the first half of Stage 1 wrong. Instead of doing the set repetitions like this - 15, 15, 12, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8 - I have stated off by doing them like this 15, 12, 10, 8. I did not repeat the repetitions. So what should I do now? Start over?
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed with myself and I don't know what to do next. I just realized that I did the first half of Stage 1 wrong. Instead of doing the set repetitions like this - 15, 15, 12, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8 - I have stated off by doing them like this 15, 12, 10, 8. I did not repeat the repetitions. So what should I do now? Start over?

how many sets of each exercise are you doing? the whole point of a long stage one is to get your form down and get you comfortable with the weights. I would just pick up with 3 sets of 10 for 1A5.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I did 2 sets of the 15 & 12 and 3 sets of the 10 & 8. Thank you. I think I will do that.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've just realized I should of being doing 2x12 reps on my last workouts. Thanks for your posts Amy, I'm going to get with the program now!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    I did 2 sets of the 15 & 12 and 3 sets of the 10 & 8. Thank you. I think I will do that.

so, you have been doing 10 sets? you are going to be able to significantly up your weights when you drop down to three sets of ten!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    The 30lbs in the shoulder stats is 2 15lbs, not 30 lbs each hand. I guess I should have clarified that. I hate shoulder exercises because that is my weakest link but I know I have to make them stronger. I also feel nothing with the Swiss ball crunch, maybe I should do more also.

I hold weight plate doing swiss ball crunches - I started by just resting them on my chest - I now hold a 35# plate above my chest. The next level will be holding straight armed behind my head. More? meh... better to add the weight and make sure you are really squeezing your core, front & back.
  • rsharper97
    Options
    I did my second A workout last night. I have to admit after I did the first A workout I was worried I wouldn't be getting enough out of it, but after doing the B workout on Monday and the second A workout last night, I can say I am officially sore. The step ups just about killed me. I increased to 40 lbs (20 each hand) and was a little wobbly the 2nd set through.
    @suelegal: I did hold a 5lb weight plate the second set of swiss ball crunches but I do need a heavier weight. That weight just happened to be sitting there when I was doing it. I love the option of holding it straight out. I will have to try that one. Thank you.
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Did workout A2 at lunch and I'm happy with my progress already!! Here are my numbers

Squat 25/15 30/15 (+6)

Push up 2 x BW/15
    Seated Row 55/15 65/15 (+10)

Step up 2 x 40/15 (+10) *20 lb in each hand)
    Prone Jackknife 2 x BW/12 (did extras because I love doing these!!)
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Halfway done with stage 1 today! I'm looking forward to upping to three sets on each exercise. I've seen a decent weight increase in most of the exercises, with the exception of the shoulder press (who would have thought?). For some reason I'm struggling with that one, but my endurance is getting better so I guess that's good.

I definitely feel like I'm starting to see some subtle changes in my body. My abs look great. I'm starting to see some definition in my arms. I have a long way to go on my legs since that is where I carry most of my body weight, but so far I'm feeling good! :)

How's everyone else doing??
  • Kellylicious01
    Options
    Hi all! Newbie to this group. I started NROLFW on April 27th. Today was Workout B, Workout 5:

Deadlift 3x10: 70#, 70#, 75# (workout #1 started with 50#);

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x10: 12.5#, 12.5#, 12.5#;

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown 3x10: 70#, 60#, 60# (workout #1 started with 40#);

Lunge with Dumbbells 3x10: 15#, 15#, 15# (workout #1 started with 12.5#);

Swiss Ball Crunch with Weight 3x25: 15#, 15#, 15# (workout #1 started with 10#).

Unfortunately my gym does not have 5# increments for the cable machines. 60# is too light for the wide-grap lat pulldown but 70# is too heavy. I could only do 8 for the first set then switched back to 60# for set 2&3.

And the shoulder presses are surprisingly difficult for me and I use 12.5#. Although it is getting easier. After today's workout I tried to do a set with 15# and did 1 set of 8.

Anyway there are my current lifts with my beginning lifts so you can see the progression.
  • lcuconley
    Options

Unfortunately my gym does not have 5# increments for the cable machines. 60# is too light for the wide-grap lat pulldown but 70# is too heavy. I could only do 8 for the first set then switched back to 60# for set 2&3.

you are doing great!!

most gyms have five pound rubberized plates that you place on top of the weight stack. you should look around/ask.
  • celticmyss
    celticmyss Posts: 10
    Options
    Halfway done with stage 1 today! I'm looking forward to upping to three sets on each exercise. I've seen a decent weight increase in most of the exercises, with the exception of the shoulder press (who would have thought?). For some reason I'm struggling with that one, but my endurance is getting better so I guess that's good.

I am glad you mentioned this. I totally missed that the number of sets increases from 2 to 3 when you start the 10 rep exercises. Your post came just in the nick of time because I start them today.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    @kelly nice starting weights!
    I feel you on the lat pull down problem. My gym goes up by 15# increments! How stupid.

Last week I was too stressed out for life and only made it to the gym once.
    Back on track this week. A7 Tomorrow!! Yayy.

@rsharper-- how's the no cardio going??
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow Kelly and Lodi, you gals are doing great! I too struggle with the shoulder presses. I managed one set on my last A workout at 10kg but had so switch back down to 9kg for the second set. And it didnt' help that some guy was oggling me in the mirror and I felt like a Hulky freak.

I just finished A5 today and I had an insane urge to kiss the floor on my push-ups lol. I can't do it yet, have to close the 3 or 4 inch gap first but I am going to be working on accomplishing this!

~ Katia :wink:
  • rsharper97
    Options
    @chuckles- the no cardio is killing me! I know once I start to see some real results with the lifting it won't bother me as much. I haven't been real consistent with the lifting because Life keeps getting in the way (I am averaging about 2 sessions a week) when really I want to do 3. This week isn't looking good either because we are going away for the the holiday weekend. Oh well, I will get in what I can.