May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Knocked out 3 sets of 5 reps on squats today at 260 pounds. Couldn't believe I was able to do it. I guess I just had to use the "arms down" cue.

I thought I was gonna be able to complete 3 sets of 5 reps on Bench at 180 pounds, but I had some ****ty spotters that messed me up. I've met teenage kids that can spot better. :ohwell:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Amazing, Amazing! sorry about your spotters..

Vegas I don't want to take over the whole thread with my woes.. I haven't been using the HRM for cal burn only to see what it does to my heart rate (always interesting when you are seeing spots on deads!). I do have a timer on my phone which I can use though. In brief, however, I've been going since 10 March so 26 sessions, and only progress when I'm happy I've hit 5x5 decently on my last weight. I've gone from:
    squats - 30kg to 50kg but first hit 50kg on Apr 21 and then deloaded to 40kg and built back up because I couldn't get to parallel. Having built back up, I'm getting to parallel but struggling to come up in one smooth movement. Loads of suggestions to try, especially core work, and fittree suggested trying front squats (which I've never done) to fix the vertical movement. Head's a bit fried on this!
    bench - 25kg to 35kg and then failed every time I've tried 37.5, so I've been bouncing around 35 for a while..
    rows - 30kg up to 45kg but deloaded as wasn't getting good form, working on 42.5kg again.
    OHP - 20kg (bar), was supposed to go to 30kg at the start of May and that just wasn't happening so wussed out, came back down and last night was 30kg again which was a train wreck but I'm going to give the full 3 sessions to and see what happens..
    Deadlift - 50kg, progressed beautifully smoothly up to 80kg, when I tried 90 a couple of weeks ago I realised I'd been getting away with natural strength and my form was horrible, so I've been looking at this the last couple of sessions. Still not sure about my back (being tall I don't know if I'm squatting low enough to start with etc).

tl;dr - So looking at this, I think this is probably all very normal but as a newbie who was enjoying regular progression I've hit reality!
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me yesterday!

Squats - 90. I'm going to try to move up and see what happens. They're not easy, but I think form was good.
    Bench - 70. Still OK here!
    Rows - 75. I'm just never sure about these! Been at 75 for 3 workouts. I got all the reps in, think form was OK but not great. I think I come up from the hips on the last few reps when it gets hard... Going down to 70 next time to work more on form.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Rows - 75. I'm just never sure about these! Been at 75 for 3 workouts. I got all the reps in, think form was OK but not great. I think I come up from the hips on the last few reps when it gets hard... Going down to 70 next time to work more on form.

Rows are the same for me. I get them, but just barely, and don't feel like I nail them well enough to increase. I have been doing 60# the last 3 sessions. I will try to go up by 2.5# next time.

It's 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps back.. UG.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Amazing, Amazing! sorry about your spotters..

Vegas I don't want to take over the whole thread with my woes.. I haven't been using the HRM for cal burn only to see what it does to my heart rate (always interesting when you are seeing spots on deads!). I do have a timer on my phone which I can use though. In brief, however, I've been going since 10 March so 26 sessions, and only progress when I'm happy I've hit 5x5 decently on my last weight. I've gone from:
    squats - 30kg to 50kg but first hit 50kg on Apr 21 and then deloaded to 40kg and built back up because I couldn't get to parallel. Having built back up, I'm getting to parallel but struggling to come up in one smooth movement. Loads of suggestions to try, especially core work, and fittree suggested trying front squats (which I've never done) to fix the vertical movement. Head's a bit fried on this!
    bench - 25kg to 35kg and then failed every time I've tried 37.5, so I've been bouncing around 35 for a while..
    rows - 30kg up to 45kg but deloaded as wasn't getting good form, working on 42.5kg again.
    OHP - 20kg (bar), was supposed to go to 30kg at the start of May and that just wasn't happening so wussed out, came back down and last night was 30kg again which was a train wreck but I'm going to give the full 3 sessions to and see what happens..
    Deadlift - 50kg, progressed beautifully smoothly up to 80kg, when I tried 90 a couple of weeks ago I realised I'd been getting away with natural strength and my form was horrible, so I've been looking at this the last couple of sessions. Still not sure about my back (being tall I don't know if I'm squatting low enough to start with etc).

tl;dr - So looking at this, I think this is probably all very normal but as a newbie who was enjoying regular progression I've hit reality!

No worries about taking up space on the thread....everyone can learn from one another.....this is just another one of those learning moments :)

I would go to 3x5 and reduce the amount that you increase by....even if it's only 1lb per increase, it's still an increase. I really fell into the trap of going up too fast my first time around and then realized that my form was not a 100% so had to deload....but then when you are focusing on form it is harder to increase lol If you have to deload again, then that's okay.....go back down a bit and then start increasing small.

Don't worry we will get you over this hump :happy:
  • kellieem
    kellieem Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I did workout A this morning. And it was the first one I did by myself. But my gym opens at 8 and I had to be at work by 9:45, so I was a bit pressed for time and I think my form suffered. So I'm really not feeling good about it :sad:

Squats 65 5x5, but form still isn't right. I narrowed my stance a bit because it had been REALLY wide, so I think that may help with my hamstrings, but then I noticed my right leg was taking over and I was wobbling again and I couldn't hit parallel all the time. So that sucks :grumble: And my hip flexor (I think) hurts so much right now and during the squats.
    Bench 65 5x5, form was okay, I think, a little wobbly.
    Row 65 5x5. This one sucked even more than the squats because I realized I was really running out of time. And I forgot to start the barbell on the floor. And now my lower back is aching...

So basically, super awful workout and I'm getting pretty down on myself for not having the right form and being in a fair bit of pain
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Row 65 5x5. This one sucked even more than the squats because I realized I was really running out of time. And I forgot to start the barbell on the floor. And now my lower back is aching...

You know, next time just do 3x5 in good form if you're pressed for time, rather than getting sloppy on 5x5. Life happens, and so you just have to adjust at times. Better than hurting yourself, which really isn't worth it.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

You know, next time just do 3x5 in good form if you're pressed for time, rather than getting sloppy on 5x5. Life happens, and so you just have to adjust at times. Better than hurting yourself, which really isn't worth it.

I agree with Dani on this. Also, for the hip flexor, it may be best to go back to the bar (or if you can do less than the 45 lbs) until it rests and then SLOWLY start back up. I warm up with body weight, then bar, and then half of the weight between bar and my starting weight. I also do a progressive 5x5 where I do 1 set starting at a lower weight and then add 10 lbs to each set from there that builds up to my heaviest weight. You could even just add 5 lbs or less (with fractionals) to give you some room. This helps me not push the hip flexor too much with a full load for all 5 sets, but gets the work in.
  • jstout365
    Options
    Well, Saturdays are turning into hard lifting days for me just because I know I'm tired from the 5 days before. I really think my body will be happy with a deload in a week. I don't think a single part of my body hasn't been sore at least once this week, but I really have been pushing harder than before so I'm not surprised.

So today was B for me:

Squats: 1x5 @ 100,110,120,130,135 - my glutes were feeling a bit off and after the set at 130 I knew I wasn't going to hit 140 so I tried 135 and did okay. The gym was quiet so I was able to set up the camera for some form videos. I got the sets at 130 and 135: http://youtu.be/MG_zRVMIsUM and http://youtu.be/C6R-F4fW5ws

OHP: 5x5 @ 65 - Still working on form with a closer hand position.

Dead: 1x5 @ 135 - The glutes didn't have fun with 135 so I listened and just did the one set. I'm glad I started doing the warm-up sets at the lower weight since it gives me a chance to gauge just how I feel before going to a higher weight and potentially hurting myself. Deads seem the be the lift that vary from day to day as to how they feel. Some lifts are great and some, like today just feel so heavy and hard even at a lower weight than the previous B day.
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    WO A today. After feeling so good two days ago with WO B I decided it was time to add weight, only to find out that my gym's smallest increments are 5 lbs. UGH. No way was I going to squat 55 instead of the bar.

S 45
    BP 20
    R 50

After my workout I checked out two other gyms. Fitness world has the increments and said they would buy a women's bar so I can use a bar in the bench instead of dumbbells. They have 2.5 lb. plates. I was impressed with how they took this pudgy middle-aged woman seriously. Trying the local community centre out on Monday. They have a seniors (55 and up) hour Mon to Fri in the mornings. I am 54. I think they'll let me. That weight room was busier than a beehive today (Saturday) and not a woman in sight.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    and not a woman in sight.

You're something like the unicorn, that mythical creature of legend that many doubt even exists. Keep it strong! :drinker:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    @Julie-
    My son has been lifting with me and spotting.

Does anyone else find they have a callous on the area where the bar rests from doing squats? May have to invest in one of those foamy pad thingies.

So tomorrow I eat all the food and lift all the weights!

great lifts! I am a bit jealous of your squat weight! (and the others, too, but mostly the squats)

no problem where the squat bar rests. but I am only squatting 55#.. maybe later I will have a problem.

YAY- for your son working out with you!

and I like those "eat ALL the foods" dayss! enjoy!

It took me three months to get to that squat weight, lol...

The callous was there before the mud run so initially I thought it was from slippage of the bar, but it doesn't go anywhere, especially at the higher weights.

I was really slack yesterday. I read by the pool, and ate all the food. Was not feeling exercise at all. THIS is what happens when stress jumps on me for a week straight; it zaps my appetite, very similar to the Divorce Diet. If you don't gas the car, you simply can't drive it. Swim and lift today, tho.

Now off to catch up.

@beacrys - how cool that you were the o ky woman there and that you still did it. I wish I were that brave! She shoots, she scores!
  • kellieem
    kellieem Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I agree with Dani on this. Also, for the hip flexor, it may be best to go back to the bar (or if you can do less than the 45 lbs) until it rests and then SLOWLY start back up. I warm up with body weight, then bar, and then half of the weight between bar and my starting weight. I also do a progressive 5x5 where I do 1 set starting at a lower weight and then add 10 lbs to each set from there that builds up to my heaviest weight. You could even just add 5 lbs or less (with fractionals) to give you some room. This helps me not push the hip flexor too much with a full load for all 5 sets, but gets the work in.

Thanks Dani and jstout!
    I really should have done the 3x5s, I'll know for next time, so that's good. I have been doing warm sets of 2x3s, starting with the bar and going up by 5s until I get to my 5x5 weight. But I may just start again with the bar and work my way up, beside the pain is pretty bad. I'll have to see how my next workout goes... But right now it seems like I'll never get up weights as high as everyone here or get the form right....
  • jstout365
    Options
    Thanks Dani and jstout!
    I really should have done the 3x5s, I'll know for next time, so that's good. I have been doing warm sets of 2x3s, starting with the bar and going up by 5s until I get to my 5x5 weight. But I may just start again with the bar and work my way up, beside the pain is pretty bad. I'll have to see how my next workout goes... But right now it seems like I'll never get up weights as high as everyone here or get the form right....

I would suggest laying off squats for a week (or until the pain goes away), do the other lifts and maybe add in some lunges. Give the leg a chance to calm down. Soreness is one thing to work through, pain is not. Take the time off to read about form and watch some instructional videos on form. Form corrections have helped me, but it hasn't eliminated the pain fully. I have to REALLY pay attention to how it feels and adjust based on how bad it is. Does it suck to be held back from it? Yes. Do I think I could lift much more without the pain? Sure, but it is what I have to work with. One thing that is just as important as form in this whole process is to not compare yourself to what others can do. Not everyone will lift the same even if training the same. The only person you can compete with is yourself. Are you lifting more than before? Are you getting one more rep in with better form? Progress takes time and patients because there will be gains and set backs. You are doing great for just starting out. Keep at it and in a few months you will look back and say "Wow, I have really made a lot of progress!"
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    @kellieem - I would like to interject something, if that's alright?

Like you, I felt like I would never be lifting like so many of the bad@$$ women here and it took me a while for it to sink in that strength training is me versus me, not me versus the uber strong women in this group. (And I see jstout just said the same... :flowerforyou: )

When I sprained my back in March and the doc benched me for several weeks from lifting and anything high impact until after my 5K in mid-April, I was really disappointed, and it sucked. BUT, I finally got it through my granite skull that rest was only going to help me in the long run, even though it played h3ll on my 5k, lol. I started back about four weeks ago with just the bar and only this week got PR's. I thought I would be faster coming back, but I really concentrated on form and comfort level.

The injury just ain't worth the risk. :smile:

Go at your pace and be proud of what you have done. If you are anything like me, you are 100% ahead of where you were six months ago. :flowerforyou:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies.....wise women they are! It's definitely you against you.....not you against the rest of woman-kind. And juliemouse speaks the truth about her story.....I think I finally yelled at her (like as much as you can yell at someone on a forum on MFP :laugh: ) to rest. It's a hard pill to swallow when you have to take a lay off or deload, but the payoff long term is much more beneficial :happy:

So this morning, for the first time in 6 months, I got mad as eff about all the plate changing for my lifts. Like to the point that I just about said eff it, I don't want to eff around with these effing plates anymore. It's not that I didn't want to work out....I was fine with the workout, just the prep that I was mad at. I think this is a sign that my SL days are over :cry: It actually does kind of make me mad, but it's all good. I know there are other programs out there that I will like... The idea of one main lift with 2 accessory lifts makes me super happy right now.....which is great considering that the Nia Shanks program I think I have decided on is that way bigsmile

Oh well, really only 3 more workouts on SL to wrap up week 12 (Which is really week 24 and I really don't want to be a quitter!!!!) and then I'll be done....it's not that much :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies for all your suggestions, today was full of WIN!

firstly I stretched out my hip before starting and that is cool (although my left thigh is sore amusingly instead..)

So, the best and simplest piece of advice? Thanks Tameko for pointing it out - I wasn't resting for long enough! I can't have been resting for more than 90 seconds I reckon before.. so I set the timer and had 3 minute rests between ALL my work sets and it made SUCH a difference:

50kg squat (yes I stuck at it again), also made sure I took a breath at the top of each squat and concentrated - 5x5 YES!
    35kg bench (also stuck at it as last time was horrible) 5x5 decent sets YES YES!
    42kg rows (did one attempt at 42.5 and it wasn't pretty, also stacked an extra set of weights for height) 5x5 decent sets YES! YES! YES!

No PRs but it feels so much better to have a decent sesssion.

Also, there was an amusing juxtaposition between the scrawny 12 year old looking lad doing HORRENDOUS attempts at squats in the Smith machine and a very beefy guy doing olympic lifts and what looked like 175kg deadlifts!!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Ladies I just want to say:

All of your stories, successes, and dedication inspire me to push my self and focus on personal improvement. I appreciate the positive encouragement all of you share with the group.

Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • beacrys
    Options
    @beacrys - how cool that you were the o ky woman there and that you still did it. I wish I were that brave! She shoots, she scores!

Whoops, I didn't make myself clear. I worked out at the gym I joined a month ago and THEN went gym shopping, so I didn't work out in the man hive. Now that would have been pushing way beyond my comfort zone :) Maybe when I'm squatting 185 ;)
  • beacrys
    Options
    and not a woman in sight.

You're something like the unicorn, that mythical creature of legend that many doubt even exists. Keep it strong! :drinker:

Even in the all female gym where I have been lifting I haven't seen one other woman use the squat rack. The Smith, machine, yes, squat rack, no.