May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to go to the YMCA in a little while! To lift! Never thought I would say that!

I'm still a newbie, and it's hard to be patient. I want to get to the heavy stuff! :)

Love this thread, ladies!
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just booked a holiday! only 3 nights, but getting the huz on a plane.. to Barcelona! splashed out on a nice hotel too as it's our 10th wedding anniversary :)

Ohhh fun! And congratulations!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So I got a new pair of trail running minimalist shoes (Merrill's, off the clearance shelf at EMS!). I have my running clothes, my shoes, my armband for my phone, and my water bottle all packed in my backpack that I brought to work. It's going to be 85 degrees and super humid when I get out of work, so I don't know if I'll be running so much as strolling on the trails today. Oh well--I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and motivate to go to the state park after work even if I just walk. A routine has to start somewhere, and I don't like that I could make an excuse on the first day. Thunderstorms would be a good excuse, just "too hot", not so much.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Fly by hi and a quick WTG to all the bad@$$es in here.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    @Dani....love that pic!

@cleo....great mindset :smile: Just go and do it....whatever "it" ends up being. I also developed a kind of hybrid walk the other day....walk for a bit, length of your choice (could also jog, run, watevs), stop, drop and do some mountain climbers and then some walking lunges and then walk again. I super enjoyed it and last time I did it was between hill sprints, but I'm thinking I might just try doing it as a circuit on it's own....maybe throw in some burpees! Anyway, my point was that if it's too hot to do steady state, maybe something like that would be challenging but not too much in the heat? I don't know....I live in Canada and we don't get that hot that often here lol

Workout B and a Nia Shanks barbell finisher for me this morning. I'm getting close to hitting some PR's on squat and dead now so that's pretty exciting :bigsmile: I'm thinking that I will stick with a weekly progression when I begin Beautiful Badass in a couple weeks. I think I still have more in me, just getting tired of SL :frown:
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Workout B and a Nia Shanks barbell finisher for me this morning. I'm getting close to hitting some PR's on squat and dead now so that's pretty exciting :bigsmile: I'm thinking that I will stick with a weekly progression when I begin Beautiful Badass in a couple weeks. I think I still have more in me, just getting tired of SL :frown:

Vegas, I hear ya on this. I actually started Nia Shank's S(hero) program last night. (I got Beautiful BadAss too but this one appealed to me more right now). It is quite similar to SL as far as the lifts, but a little more variety in the reps. And shorter, which frankly this mamma of 3 needs as summer activities pick up. I have a MAJOR girl crush on Nia.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Vegas, I hear ya on this. I actually started Nia Shank's S(hero) program last night. (I got Beautiful BadAss too but this one appealed to me more right now). It is quite similar to SL as far as the lifts, but a little more variety in the reps. And shorter, which frankly this mamma of 3 needs as summer activities pick up. I have a MAJOR girl crush on Nia.

I didn't buy S(hero) but I have heard great things! I am going to be doing the 6-3-9-3 workout from BB. I ended up picking it because it's pretty much NOT SL :laugh: I still want to do the big compounds, but split up and different rep ranges. I love that it's one big lift and then 2 accessory lifts each workout and of course that it's 4 days/week because we know how much I love going every other day :laugh: I am excited to be able to play with different weights too.....super heavy on 3 rep days and then a little lighter on the 9 rep days :happy:

Did you end up getting her newest book for free on kindle? I'm in the middle of reading it right now and quite enjoying it!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    So I got a new pair of trail running minimalist shoes (Merrill's, off the clearance shelf at EMS!). I have my running clothes, my shoes, my armband for my phone, and my water bottle all packed in my backpack that I brought to work. It's going to be 85 degrees and super humid when I get out of work, so I don't know if I'll be running so much as strolling on the trails today. Oh well--I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and motivate to go to the state park after work even if I just walk. A routine has to start somewhere, and I don't like that I could make an excuse on the first day. Thunderstorms would be a good excuse, just "too hot", not so much.

Have you been wearing the minimalist shoes for a while, just in a different pair? I ask because the change in heel-toe drop can take some time to get used to. I switched to a pair of the Merrell barefoot about a year ago for running and it took a good 4-6 months before my calves were totally used to it. I wouldn't go back to traditional shoes for anything at this point. I know some of the Merrell minimalists have some drop so it shouldn't be so bad.....just thought I would mention it though.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    [

I didn't buy S(hero) but I have heard great things! I am going to be doing the 6-3-9-3 workout from BB. I ended up picking it because it's pretty much NOT SL :laugh: I still want to do the big compounds, but split up and different rep ranges. I love that it's one big lift and then 2 accessory lifts each workout and of course that it's 4 days/week because we know how much I love going every other day :laugh: I am excited to be able to play with different weights too.....super heavy on 3 rep days and then a little lighter on the 9 rep days :happy:

Did you end up getting her newest book for free on kindle? I'm in the middle of reading it right now and quite enjoying it!
    [/quote]

yep, I got the book. Devoured it in one sitting. So much truth.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Round 2 Wkout B

Squat: 125lbs 3x5
    OHP: 55lbs 3x5
    Deadlift: 155lbs 1x5

Tough one today. OHP is a ***** no matter what weight you do, and I was dragging by the time I did my cardio cool down. It was wonderful. :happy:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Crap day today. Just ... blergh. Been struggling way too much lately. Tweaked my forearm/elbow during power cleans. I should have just taken the dang week off like I had been planning to do. *grumble grumble*

I'm going to spend the rest of my week filling up on ice cream and figuring out where to go from here. I might actually give SL or SS a whirl as-is without changing anything for a while and see where that gets me, now that I have a decent strength foundation and my core is stable enough. I guess a month is about my limit when it comes to sticking to an actual program. :glasses:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I had a messed up recording. my last session ("A" on Monday) I was coming off a 3 day migraine, so I just did my warm ups for each lift, but not the 5X5 weight amount. And I didn't bother recording it. I am using the app, so when I went to do today's workout (B)- my app was set to do A, so I just filled them in for the sake of being done with that workout , but I couldn't get to the one I wanted today... But I know what I did and will just fill it in tomorrow I guess.

QUESTION: my 18 Yr old is not really doing warm ups, he is kinda in the beginning so it's not super heavy, but I want a way to explain to him the benefits of warm ups...

AND- how quickly is it OK for him to increase weights. I think he went up 20# in squats today, his form was still good, so I was thinking it's probably fine.
    (He went from 80 to 100#)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Have you been wearing the minimalist shoes for a while, just in a different pair? I ask because the change in heel-toe drop can take some time to get used to. I switched to a pair of the Merrell barefoot about a year ago for running and it took a good 4-6 months before my calves were totally used to it. I wouldn't go back to traditional shoes for anything at this point. I know some of the Merrell minimalists have some drop so it shouldn't be so bad.....just thought I would mention it though.

Yes, I have a pair of vibram five fingers that I've been running in on the street occasionally. I wanted to get something a tiny bit sturdier for the trails. I used them this afternoon, about 2-2.5 miles. The loose toe box feels odd compared to the vibrams, and I have a couple small rub spots that will hopefully go away with breaking in. My legs felt pretty good, though.

It was hot but not too bad in the shady parts, which was most of it. I only came across one other person before I got back to the main intersection. If I had planned better, I could have gone for a quick swim in the lake before I left.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Ooh today hit my 52.5kg squats 3x3 yay, and 3x3 37.5kg rows but not pretty. I've been hovering around this weight for weeks now, wondering if I should deload to 30kg and work back up.. thoughts? Pendlays saw a guy take the catch bars off the squat rack and prop them against it on the floor to rest the bar on which was so much better than stacking weights. My form was all over the shop though having been thinking about deadlifts for days, and at 42.5kg did 255 grr.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Fly by, again…

Going to deload ten pounds on my squats tonight … as if my back didn’t hurt enough prior to last night, it screamed at me again after trying to lift a car off of the neighbor. Long story, but I lifted cars instead of weights last night.

I blew my calories, because…well, because I was hungry and I want to lift tonight, so I kinda hit the carbs a little high, but I haven’t blown past 1700 in a while, so screw it…I ate.

Workout A for me tonight. Hoping to do alright on everything else, and finish with some dumbbell work. Trying like mad to be able to pull off an unassisted pull-up by summer’s end, and five regular pushups by then, as well.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Elwood, your numbers are still amazing!
  • RunWestyRun
    RunWestyRun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had a rubbish lifting day today too :(

Didn't really eat enough yesterday or today and I paid for it at the gym.

Squats - 57.5kg 5x5. My squats were progressing really well and I was on track for my main goal - to hit body weight squats (60kg) on Saturday before my holiday but today was sooooo hard and to be honest my form sucked for the last couple of reps in each set.
    Think I am gonna drop back down to 50kg and work my way back up more slowly. I have aggrevated my lower back again so think I may cut down to 3 x 5 for working weight squats as the weight progresses and maybe only increase every other session...?

OHP - tried to bump up to 30kg but only managed 2 x 3 reps before deloading to 28.5kg and managed 3 x 4 with a push press at the end of each set.

Bench - 40kg 5x5

Am still not able to do deadlifts or pendlay rows - but I do bent over barbell rows, hip thrusts, lat pull-downs, pull-ups, tricep dips and push ups as additional exercises.

Planning to drop all my weights down when I get back from my holiday and work back up (hopefully I won't lose too much strength). Although will all the ice-cream and carb loading (beer drinking) I should be in full on beast mode when I get back :drinker:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Well, the May goals didn't happen (about 5 lbs short of most of them, 10 lbs short of my DL goal, and I'm happy with that).

I think I will spend the month of June entirely in complexes land (that'll make Vegas happy :bigsmile:). Getting a bit sick of all that heavy squatting, truth be told, so switching it up to give my dumbbells and kettlebells a whirl and play around with other barbell moves because I still want to keep things heavy, just not overly so.

I'm pretty happy with my strength so far, so going to focus on endurance, mix things up, and avoid burnout. Keep things lighter during the summer, right? :laugh:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Ooh yes goal review as that was my last may workout...
    So... Number one, keep form good and keep enjoying it! That aside.. YES!

Squats work back up to 50kg with good form YES AND MORE!
    OHP current 27.5kg use fractionals to move towards 30kg NO FRACTIONALS, HIT!
    deadlift current 80kg work towards 100 (eep!) CHANGED GRIP, NOPE
    bench current 35kg would love to see 40! STRUGGLING AT 37.5
    pendlay rows current 45kg think 55 will be a stretch! GONE BACKWARDS, FORM...

More cardio HA HA HA
    good food choices and log and complete diary daily... YEAH RIGHT...
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well I can't even remember if I made May goals!

Still at 120 for squats...but form is finally good. I know I'll progress, but I would like it to be faster:)
    Bench 82.5
    Rows 97.5

I've got a holter monitor on to try to figure out what's causing heart palpitations. Apparently a holter wasn't designed for people who sweat. I've lost the chest patches 3 times now (and it was only placed this afternoon)...not sure how diagnostic that's gonna be!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Yes, I have a pair of vibram five fingers that I've been running in on the street occasionally. I wanted to get something a tiny bit sturdier for the trails. I used them this afternoon, about 2-2.5 miles. The loose toe box feels odd compared to the vibrams, and I have a couple small rub spots that will hopefully go away with breaking in. My legs felt pretty good, though.

It was hot but not too bad in the shady parts, which was most of it. I only came across one other person before I got back to the main intersection. If I had planned better, I could have gone for a quick swim in the lake before I left.

Okay, I have known a few people who try to jump right into the minimalist shoes with poor results so I like to ask. I'm glad they worked out for you! I was never into the look of the 5-toe shoes so I've always had the Merrells with the toe box. I still wear running socks with them because I've had blisters form on longer runs, but I think my feet are a little on the delicate side.:happy:

3fold - Maybe tell him that to perform his best and reduce the risk of injury when he does achieve "Beast Mode" on his lifts, the warm up reps are the most important lifts he will do each workout. It gives his body the chance to work on obtaining muscle memory for proper form, brings blood to the worked muscles that will make lifting heavy easier, and helps reduce the risk that he will have to explain to people how he hurt his butt muscle while squatting (I always use a little humor). Oh, and I've pulled the glute during squats before....not fun to explain that one. As for jumping 20 lbs, it is part of the same "impatient teenager" problem with the warm-ups. He is compelled to get to the end as fast as he can. If he is still maintaining form, I wouldn't worry too much, but try to get him to keep the jumps in weight to 10 lbs if he won't hang tight with the 5. You may be able to compromise with him by doing a progressive lift of 1x5 where he adds 10 lbs to each set with a lower starting weight, but a higher final working weight. That would also allow him to see where he may have trouble with the weight and form when he gets to the higher final weights.

I haven't even been to the gym since Tuesday and I don't plan on going back in until Sunday if not Monday. I haven't taken a rest break since about...well, probably around September 2012 so a new cold, car issues, and a general sense that the universe is telling me to rest, I'm doing just that. I'm also eating when I'm hungry and not really focusing on hitting calories or macros. So far I think I'm probably under on calories a little, but the cold has suppressed my appetite a little.

Monday I will start my new program see how it goes over the summer. I'm still doing squats, deadlifts, OHP and bench, but I'll be doing other work for the back and adding accessory work into each session along with some cardio and plyometrics.